Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Basketball recruiting...

Started by rabidhog, January 23, 2015, 08:32:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rabidhog

Whats the scoop on this class? Kiapta? Need some size some MEN. Can't wait to see Whit.

WooPig90

Quote from: rabidhog on January 23, 2015, 08:32:24 am
Whats the scoop on this class? Kiapta? Need some size some MEN. Can't wait to see Whit.

Kapita* Whitt*

rabidhog

outlawhogeywells

After watching the bama game last night, we need shooters.  Bama stayed with us and could have won by having great shooters and avg at best inside play. 

HotlantaHog

So does anyone know how basketball recruitiung is going? I am not one who follows it real closely and not seeing any information here ...

The_Iceman

hawginbigd1

No information seems to mean it is going poorly. This bodes badly for us, because I think we are finding that we are very weak from 7 or 8 on back on our current roster, and we most likely lose 4 of that top 7 or 8 after this year. We basically have Whitt and Hannahs to replace them, and as good as they are or might be we will take a major step backwards IMO. So far the only current new edition that has impressed is Beard.

rabidhog

who is the JC from Arkansas we are looking at? His name escapes me, he's a guard.

Hawg Red

Quote from: rabidhog on January 23, 2015, 12:56:41 pm
who is the JC from Arkansas we are looking at? His name escapes me, he's a guard.

I think you're talking about Daryl Macon but he's a 2016 JUCO.

razorbackfanatic

We definitely need to add 1 or 2 more to this incoming class next season. I also believe Nick Babb will end up being a very good player. Beard really impresses me, he is smart, tough and really moves his feet well on defense. He's going to have a great career at UA. He's not a super star, but he brings a calmness to the offense that reminds me a lot of a smaller Corey Beck.

Atlhogfan1

The need in the late period and next class is at the F position.  Need versatile forwards 6-6 to 6-9 capable of defending multiple positions and not being offensive liabilities with at least one being a wing capable of scoring and finishing(Monk?).  From the "news" leaking, the staff is on multiple forwards in the current class. 

Still need better guards too but Whitt may be it for this class.  And yes Beard looks promising and Babb may be ready soon as well. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hawg Red

I still say go after Allen and a forward. And I'm aware that we only have one spot open right now.

CDBHawg

Allen and a big would be ideal.

Atlhogfan1

This system can never have too many guards if they can contribute if Allen would become a part of the class.

The roster will have Kingsley and Thompson.  No reason to take up more roster space with a similar player when guards and smaller more athletic forwards will determine the success or failure of the program with how we play.  Kingsley and Thompson will compliment the other positions. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

razorbackfanatic

Yes I agree we need to add a 6'6"-6'9" Jacorey Williams/Coty Clark or Michael Qualls/Sonny Weems type. We lose Harris, Madden and potentially Portis and Qualls. As of right now next years roster look like this:

G Beard/Durham
G Whitt/Bell/Hannah
G Babb/Watkins
F Williams/Miles
F Kingsley/Thompson

Outside of Whitt, you pretty much have no one that create offense on their own. It would be huge if Portis and Qualls came back. I think we have a good shot with Qualls. U never know about Portis he seems to be ok financially and he's super smart so school isn't a problem for him. He could come back. I'd guess 70/30 leaning towards leaving. Qualls id say 70/30 leaning towards staying.

We need to add some more offense at forward.

razorbackfanatic

I also agree u can never have to many good guards. I'd take Allen, but that doesn't look like it's in the cards right now. I'm extremely excited about Whitt. Beard is going to be a very solid guard next season IMO. Babb has a world of potential. Durham, Hannah, Watkins, Bell all have their roles. If Trey Thompson can be counted on next year to play Kingsley type minutes that will help us tremendously.

The_Iceman

HogsBalls

Just looked at 24/7 SEC commits and we really need to get a big man on board. If we don't get Kapita, we are in for a tough time next year if Portis leaves. Even Vandy has two 4* centers signed and we don't have one at all.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: razorbackfanatic on January 23, 2015, 01:25:07 pm
Yes I agree we need to add a 6'6"-6'9" Jacorey Williams/Coty Clark or Michael Qualls/Sonny Weems type. We lose Harris, Madden and potentially Portis and Qualls. As of right now next years roster look like this:

G Beard/Durham
G Whitt/Bell/Hannah
G Babb/Watkins
F Williams/Miles
F Kingsley/Thompson

Outside of Whitt, you pretty much have no one that create offense on their own. It would be huge if Portis and Qualls came back. I think we have a good shot with Qualls. U never know about Portis he seems to be ok financially and he's super smart so school isn't a problem for him. He could come back. I'd guess 70/30 leaning towards leaving. Qualls id say 70/30 leaning towards staying.

Qualls isn't leaving
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

mhuff

Quote from: razorbackfanatic on January 23, 2015, 01:01:52 pm
We definitely need to add 1 or 2 more to this incoming class next season. I also believe Nick Babb will end up being a very good player. Beard really impresses me, he is smart, tough and really moves his feet well on defense. He's going to have a great career at UA. He's not a super star, but he brings a calmness to the offense that reminds me a lot of a smaller Corey Beck.

yraciv

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 23, 2015, 12:54:54 pm
No information seems to mean it is going poorly. This bodes badly for us, because I think we are finding that we are very weak from 7 or 8 on back on our current roster, and we most likely lose 4 of that top 7 or 8 after this year. We basically have Whitt and Hannahs to replace them, and as good as they are or might be we will take a major step backwards IMO. So far the only current new edition that has impressed is Beard.

Basketball recruiting is always quiet this time of the year. It doesn't mean anything! Jimmy Whitt is going to be a great player for us and he is signed on the dotted line. Kapita and the JUCO's mentioned above are.

People can't think of it in terms like football.  The football chaos of recruiting is never ending because teams are signing 25 and it's coming down to the wire.  Basketball signing isn't until after the season is over in April.  Are coaches are busy practicing, playing games, traveling, and only get to attend games when they are off. Which is not often this time of year!  Mike only knows he has to feel 2 at this point. It's obvious he is reaching out to others and getting feelers out there, but when you only have 1 spot open it isn't that pressing to lock down the commit.  Especially when there is always a possibility Watkins takes a scholly. The numbers always work themselves out though, and we're still on some big fish.

yraciv

Quote from: razorbackfanatic on January 23, 2015, 01:25:07 pm

G Beard/Durham
G Whitt/Bell/Hannah
G Babb/Watkins
F Williams/Miles
F Kingsley/Thompson

Portis isn't in great shape financially. There was a big ESPN article that came out about how he grew up in poverty and though his mom is stable now it's still not one would call an ideal situation. A first round pick next year will make over 900,000, which would take the majority of college kids coming out of Arkansas 20+ years to accumulate.

mav1HOGS

Hogs like most P5 schools have backed off Kapita. Ted suffered pretty significant knee injury. He's averaging 2.2 PPG & 2.0 RPG these statistics ate straight off Hunnington Prep's Official web sight. Sad for kid but that's life in big leagues. But Hogs have definitely pulled off Ted.M

lefty08

Quote from: mav1HOGS on January 23, 2015, 03:52:33 pm
Hogs like most P5 schools have backed off Kapita. Ted suffered pretty significant knee injury. He's averaging 2.2 PPG & 2.0 RPG these statistics ate straight off Hunnington Prep's Official web sight. Sad for kid but that's life in big leagues. But Hogs have definitely pulled off Ted.M

Where are you getting your info?
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

mav1HOGS

It's not hard. First I googled Ted Kapita. Then on one of sites listed it had newspaper mentioning Kapita's knee injury
. Then I went to his prep school then to roster then found Ted. Then read Ted's stats. As of Monday he had played in Hunnington's first 5 games. Heard thru sources Hogs out. Would you be interested in kid avg 2 points 2 rebounds bad knee.  :-\

lefty08

Quote from: mav1HOGS on January 23, 2015, 10:03:55 pm
It's not hard. First I googled Ted Kapita. Then on one of sites listed it had newspaper mentioning Kapita's knee injury
. Then I went to his prep school then to roster then found Ted. Then read Ted's stats. As of Monday he had played in Hunnington's first 5 games. Heard thru sources Hogs out. Would you be interested in kid avg 2 points 2 rebounds bad knee.  :-\

First 5 games?
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

Nipsey Mussle

Why in God's name is Kapita leaning toward going to Mizzou?

HOGINTENNESSEE

January 23, 2015, 10:09:56 pm #27 Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 10:47:27 pm by HOGINTENNESSEE
Quote from: mav1HOGS on January 23, 2015, 10:03:55 pm

It's actually a nerve issue. Kid is a baller and we are interested

http://zagsblog.com/articles/ted-kapita-names-his-top-three-schools/

lefty08

Yeah, can't find anything about what this guy is claiming about a knee injury other than one article from last September about a minor knee injury as far as stats, I couldn't find any stats listed on Huntington preps website. I'm calling b.s. on the new poster. It was discussed a bit about an injury on 247, but it seems the convo was started there by this same poster

razorbackfanatic

Quote from: yraciv on January 23, 2015, 03:04:37 pm
Portis isn't in great shape financially. There was a big ESPN article that came out about how he grew up in poverty and though his mom is stable now it's still not one would call an ideal situation. A first round pick next year will make over 900,000, which would take the majority of college kids coming out of Arkansas 20+ years to accumulate.

I didn't say he was in great shape, I said he seemed to be ok from what I knew. But sounds like it is a little worse than what I knew. $900,000+ is a huge lure when things are only stable. I figure he's gone but maybe the fact that he's super smart and will be not too far from a degree if he stays one more year will make him really think about staying. Also he's all Hog and always has been so maybe that also will help him stay. To try and really get the program back to a better level kinda like Trey Flowers did this season in football. Like I said though I figure 70/30 he's gone IMO. I really hope Qualls comes back he's not ready for the NBA.