Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Safety

Started by FWF79, January 22, 2015, 09:41:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FWF79

Is it just me or do we need a safety pretty bad. 

The_Boot_stops_here

jtw732

Quote from: FWF79 on January 22, 2015, 09:41:45 pm

A few of the dB's we're hard and heavy on could move to safety eventually and greenlaw is considered s/olb; not to mention gaines. He's a hell of a safety.

RunHogruN

If we dont sign any true safeties. I suspect that some position changing is probably going to happen.  Either with current players or with incoming ones.
It's only a game...R E L A X     B)

Razinhail

We still have Gaines, Coley, Liddell, & McKinney. Ramirez may be in the mix as well. Greenlaw & Pettway may get a look, but may be a better fit at other positions. Dalton definitely has the size & he played QB in high school, which definitely benefits to playing safety. I could see us taking another though, would definitely be a plus going into 2016 & beyond.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

GrizzlyRider07

We've got Kylan Johnson coming for an Official next weekend. A 6'3 202lb safety
Dont Talk, Just Act.
Don't Say, Just Show.
Don't Promise, Just Prove!

The NewEra

Quote from: Razinhail on January 22, 2015, 10:06:27 pm
We still have Gaines, Coley, Liddell, & McKinney. Ramirez may be in the mix as well. Greenlaw & Pettway may get a look, but may be a better fit at other positions. Dalton definitely has the size & he played QB in high school, which definitely benefits to playing safety. I could see us taking another though, would definitely be a plus going into 2016 & beyond.

This is a good point. We tend to forget our guys who have been in the system for a year. I think it has something to do with recruiting season.

onebadrubi

I still think we could use a solid safety HS commit in this class.

JIHawg

Don't forget Reid the walkon.

greenie

Kylan Johnson will be here next weekend...He's no slouch

Uncommon

Recently offered Brandon Scott.  He sounds like a possibility.

LSPRazorbac

Has Gaines done what he needed to do to get back on the team?

Uncommon

Quote from: theenemy on January 22, 2015, 10:38:46 pm
Has Gaines done what he needed to do to get back on the team?
He's back with the team.

jackflash

what is Brandon Scott size and speed

Oklahawg

Ramirez is supposed to be a safety this spring. Coley and Liddell are the real deals, and Gaines is back in good graces. Richardson (walk-on) played some as the nickel and/or dime but I think he is a safety. He looked good. McKinney played a bit, but I'm not sure what is going on there.

Note on McKinney: the defensive staff is doing so many good things that I hesitate to dismiss anyone until the player gives up and leaves. Maybe, just maybe, the measurables we all coveted with him out of HS will finally get him on the field.

Yes, a safety in this class seems necessary. But, maybe McKinney + Richardson + Ramirez + 3 returning contributors = enough safety depth.

I would not be surprised to see us take an extra CB and if they out-grow the spot they can help at OLB or S. Spitballin'
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

greenie

Hey Super

Quote from: FWF79 on January 22, 2015, 09:41:45 pm

Who was the kid that backed up Rohan? He was awesome.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states...... "Don't start none ... won't be none"<br /><br />
Quote from: Seebs on July 23, 2011, 02:33:26 pm<br />Please do not allow facts to get in the way of a good freak out<br />

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Royal Fortune on January 22, 2015, 10:59:28 pm

Who was the kid that backed up Rohan? He was awesome.

Liddell. He'll be a Soph and he's gonna be a good one

PaintballHog

ESPN has Dalton as a safety. I know he wants to play corner, but did he play any safety in HS?

FANONTHEHILL

I've seen every play of Fayetteville football for the last 3 years and Greenlaw is an SEC strong safety, no question.  He has the best skill set and football intelligence of any kid I've seen in the 7A West.  On top of that, he's simply a great kid and will be a great ambassador for the UofA for the next four years. He's a special player.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Bubba's Bruisers

I think we get Dalton, Pulley and either Johnson or Scott.  I think Johnson/Scott is a S, while the other 2 are probably CB's first, but either could likely easily transition to S depending on need and best fit.  Add in all the above mentioned current players, and I think the addition of these 3 would be very sufficient.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

outlawhogeywells

Dalton at 6'3" and 195 already could grow into a SS or OLB

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: PaintballHog on January 23, 2015, 07:45:49 am
ESPN has Dalton as a safety. I know he wants to play corner, but did he play any safety in HS?

He only has one year of defense under his belt, so he's still pretty raw and could probably be molded to play wherever

Tim Harris

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 23, 2015, 08:13:34 am
I think we get Dalton, Pulley and either Johnson or Scott.  I think Johnson/Scott is a S, while the other 2 are probably CB's first, but either could likely easily transition to S depending on need and best fit.  Add in all the above mentioned current players, and I think the addition of these 3 would be very sufficient.

This is how I see it playing out as well.

mhuff

Quote from: Tim Harris on January 23, 2015, 09:20:42 am
This is how I see it playing out as well.

Sorry to change subjects, but my concerns are with LBers.... Any comments on our status there?

Uncommon

Quote from: mhuff on January 23, 2015, 05:23:14 pm
Sorry to change subjects, but my concerns are with LBers.... Any comments on our status there?
I see Kendrick Jackson being a Hog.  Rayshad Jackson a Gator.  And if we take another LB, James King.

But I think we definitely sign 1 more LB.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Uncommon on January 23, 2015, 05:24:25 pm
I see Kendrick Jackson being a Hog.  Rayshad Jackson a Gator.  And if we take another LB, James King.

But I think we definitely sign 1 more LB.

Just don't see us taking 2 more LB'S unless we strike out on other positions.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Uncommon

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 23, 2015, 05:26:05 pm
Just don't see us taking 2 more LB'S unless we strike out on other positions.
Agree.  This is likely our board right now:
1 WR KJ Hill, Arico Evans, or Brandon Singleton
1 OT Toby Weathersby
1 LB Kendrick Jackson or James King
1 CB Ryan Pulley
1 S   Brandon Scott or Kylan Johnson

Hawginthecovers

Brandon Scott Please!!!  He will definitely hit you.....and will scoop and score!

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: mhuff on January 23, 2015, 05:23:14 pm

Graham, Greenlaw, probably Kendrick Jackson

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Uncommon on January 23, 2015, 05:28:06 pm
Agree.  This is likely our board right now:
1 WR KJ Hill, Arico Evans, or Brandon Singleton
1 OT Toby Weathersby
1 LB Kendrick Jackson or James King
1 CB Ryan Pulley
1 S   Brandon Scott or Kylan Johnson

Yes