Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chuck Barrett is sure a good Baseball PBP guy!

Started by TulsaHawg, April 30, 2006, 02:20:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TulsaHawg

On the Zone yesterday, the LSU announcers were the ones doing the game on video.  They were not enjoyable at all to listen to.  Ended up turning the video sound down and turning the Audio feed on so we could listen to Chuck.

3kgthog

Agreed. He's great for baseball. On the other hand, despite what Chuck says, I suspect he has the inside track for the football job once Paul Eels retires. I'm not sure how well Chuck's delivery will transfer over to the gridiron. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

arkhogdog61

i think he sucks, when you listen you think every deep ball is a freaking HR i would rather listen to my kids sceaming then his goofy butt!
IF YOU CAN"T RUN WITH THE BIG DOGS STAY ON THE PORCH!

HatfieldHog

I think that Chuck is very good at Baseball Play-by-Play.  He leaves a little to be desired with objective journalism on Sports Rap, but he does baseball well. 

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

TulsaHawg

Quote from: arkhogdog61 on April 30, 2006, 02:38:19 pm
i think he sucks, when you listen you think every deep ball is a freaking HR i would rather listen to my kids sceaming then his goofy butt!

Disagree with you, dude.

My wife and I and my parents, and mother-in-law were eating the lunch a few days' ago at the Catfish Hole.  We got to talking baseball.  Chris Rhodes happened to be sitting at the table across the aisle from us.  Anyway, Dad said that if he would rathe listen to someone like Chuck call a game on radio than watch it on TV.

As we were leaving I noticed Chuck happened to be talking to Pat at the front of the restaurant.  I introduced my folks to Chuck, and related to him what my Dad had just said about him. 

Tell you what.  You can have the LSU announcers.  I'll take Chuck any day.

Bet you can follow a game really well listening to your screaming kids. I am sure that is a lot better for you.

arkhogdog61

its well hit, way back, way back, and he makes a running catch, hogs are retired. i thought we had a bunch of HR's yesterday, but just long fly balls.

arkhogdog61

and if he replaces Paul then we have sunk to the lowest ever! that will be a sad, sad day in razorback history.

TulsaHawg

April 30, 2006, 02:52:38 pm #7 Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 02:56:23 pm by TulsaHawg
Quote from: arkhogdog61 on April 30, 2006, 02:50:24 pm
its well hit, way back, way back, and he makes a running catch, hogs are retired. i thought we had a bunch of HR's yesterday, but just long fly balls.

It can be well hit, and way back, way back, and still not be out of the park.  Depends on the wind too.

My fav Chuck call, "I can't believe what I just saw!  Brady Toops just hit a grand slam homerun!"

Nutts and Bolts

A new era has begun in Fayetteville

stan the man

Rick is worse than Chuck on judging a fly ball.  What do you suppose would happen if Paul Eels called baseball since he makes so many mistakes calling football   

arkhogdog61

i wouldn't use chuck, and great in the same sentence!

Nutts and Bolts

i wouldn't use chuck, and great in the same sentence!

That is your opinion
A new era has begun in Fayetteville

arkhogdog61

PorcineSublime

I am not a huge CB apologist, but I will give him his due when it comes to Baseball. He knows his stuff and does a decent to very good job with the play by play. I would be willing to let him have shot at FB if we had an out if/when he stunk it up.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

Lanny

Quote from: TulsaHawg on April 30, 2006, 02:20:46 pm
On the Zone yesterday, the LSU announcers were the ones doing the game on video.  They were not enjoyable at all to listen to.  Ended up turning the video sound down and turning the Audio feed on so we could listen to Chuck.

Your song and dance is growing old like mildew on bread.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

TulsaHawg

Quote from: hSv on April 30, 2006, 04:18:05 pm

Bad analogy there bud. The bread grows old.  The mildew can be fresh. 

Thought you were doing something about "my boy"?

Lanny

Quote from: TulsaHawg on April 30, 2006, 04:19:57 pm

He's not worthy of my precious time.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

mikeirwin

Quote from: arkhogdog61 on April 30, 2006, 02:52:32 pm
and if he replaces Paul then we have sunk to the lowest ever! that will be a sad, sad day in razorback history.
Mike Nail will get that job.

pigsooie_73

Quote from: hSv on April 30, 2006, 04:36:25 pm
Quote from: TulsaHawg on April 30, 2006, 04:19:57 pm

He's not worthy of my precious time.

I just wonder how precious all of our time is. We sure do spend a lot of it on this message board. So, to say that someone is not worth your time, what are you saying?

VoR

When Mike Shannon 1st started doing PBP for the Cards, there was a couple that were way deep that ended in infield fly outs. Think it has to do with having A-B as a sponsor.
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

CharlieHog

Chuck Barrett is the best radio guy in college baseball. Period. Not up for argument or discussion.

As for the back back back caught on the warning track calls...would you rather he just be silent while the ball is traveling? Are you so awesome that you can tell off the bat whether or not a ball is going to leave the park?

If you have a problem with the way Chuck calls fly balls to the outfield, I suspect you haven't listened to or watched very many baseball games.

MBAHog

Quote from: mikeirwin on April 30, 2006, 04:42:11 pm

Is Mike Nail much younger than Paul?

TulsaHawg

Quote from: CharlieHog on April 30, 2006, 08:00:44 pm
Chuck Barrett is the best radio guy in college baseball. Period. Not up for argument or discussion.

As for the back back back caught on the warning track calls...would you rather he just be silent while the ball is traveling? Are you so awesome that you can tell off the bat whether or not a ball is going to leave the park?

If you have a problem with the way Chuck calls fly balls to the outfield, I suspect you haven't listened to or watched very many baseball games.

And what about Chris Berman's calls? "Back, back, back, back, back, back, back........."

SiriusHog™

chuck is great on PBP baseball.. the fact that his radio show stinks doesnt mean his PBP does too.. the guy knows his stuff...

WhenPigsFly

Most of you are right on the money:  Barrett's baseball PBP is VERY professional.  Just because he's a borderline jerk on SportsRap has nothing to do with it.  Listen to ANY of the other PBP guys, or, God forbid, the guys doing the Cox Telecasts this weekend, and you'll hear the difference!

imahoggie

listen to any of the other baseball radio guys and you will see just how good we have it..... atleast untill you listen to rick
Arkansan by birth. Razorback fan by the grace of god.

Sonofahog

Chuck does a great job with baseball.  I quit listening to sports rap, and I used to love it. 

So Mike,  you say Mike Nail will get the football gig when Paul is done,  I had always figured it would be Steve Sullivan since he took over for him doing the sportscast.  Does Sully not do announcing?  If so,  is he any good?
Proud son of the Hog punt returner in the video below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JFM2ht-O8c

razrken

Sully is the heir apparent...thats why he was hired from KARK...I think the deal is done.

LL COOL HOG

Must disagree.  Sorry Chuck B.  but it sounds like he is reading the whole time.  I cant listen to it.

CharlieHog

Rick is also better than 90% of college baseball announcers.

Hognoxious

I'll take some of that action.

Chuck almost went to Springfield to do minor league Cardinal baseball - they really wanted him.  This displeasure with Chuck by some is just another symptom of Hog fans having no clue how good they have it, and having little clue about college baseball.  Compared to many Major League announcers, Barrett may be lacking.  But you'll be hard pressed to find better radio overall for college sports than what we have, and Chuck is one of the best examples of that.

MBAHog

Quote from: Hognoxious on May 01, 2006, 07:47:33 am

I'll take some of that action.

Chuck almost went to Springfield to do minor league Cardinal baseball - they really wanted him.  This displeasure with Chuck by some is just another symptom of Hog fans having no clue how good they have it, and having little clue about college baseball.  Compared to many Major League announcers, Barrett may be lacking.  But you'll be hard pressed to find better radio overall for college sports than what we have, and Chuck is one of the best examples of that.

Well said.  Some people don't understand.

WhenPigsFly

Quote from: stan the man on April 30, 2006, 02:56:25 pm
Rick is worse than Chuck on judging a fly ball.  What do you suppose would happen if Paul Eels called baseball since he makes so many mistakes calling football   

Unless a ball is really crushed, an announcer can't really tell how far it's going.  What they do is watch the outfielder.  If he's drawing a bead on it, they know it's not going out.  But if he's drifting back, or running, it's hard to tell if he's going to catch it or not.  I think Rick verbalizes his first reaction when a ball is hit, and many times it's an emotional reaction (and yes, it drives me crazy).

LL COOL HOG

Granted I've never heard other college BB play b y play.  So My apologies.

Rey Pygsterio

No knock on Chuck, who knows his craft at running a good talk show, but Phil Elson, the guy who does Arkansas Travelers play by play, is a lot better. I listened to them back to back Saturday, and there is a huge difference.
"Rey Pygsterio will slash the tires on your Flex Fuel Tahoe and slap your Bentonville princess wife in the face." - Latarian

arkhogdog61

well i'm no authority on baseball pbp announcers, but i have listened to cardinal baseball on the radio for a good thirty years, and Chucky is the worst i have ever heard hands down! Also as far as the back back back watch the game its not that hard to judge it, he's got the best seat in the house.  HE SUCKS

TulsaHawg

Quote from: arkhogdog61 on May 01, 2006, 07:16:29 pm
well i'm no authority on baseball pbp announcers, but i have listened to cardinal baseball on the radio for a good thirty years, and Chucky is the worst i have ever heard hands down! Also as far as the back back back watch the game its not that hard to judge it, he's got the best seat in the house.  HE SUCKS

You have sat and listened to Mike Shannon, and you think Chuck "sucks"?  ::)

arkhogdog61

well everyone lets hear it, whats so great about chuck, there has to be 100's the way you all wet yourselves talking him up.

DirkPiggler

Chuck's delivery and cadence is pretty smooth.  On road games, he has to do the whole broadcast by himself, unlike MLB announcers.  That's a lot of space to fill, yet there's no dead air.  I'm not sure how he'd be in football, which requires more quick thinking and happens at a much faster pace.  Baseball seems to really suit Chuck.  I listen to quite a bit of baseball on XM, and I can tell you that Chuck would be in the middle tier of MLB play-by-play men right now.  He's no Jack Buck or Skip Caray, but he's no Chip Caray or Milo Hamilton either. 
"They've forced my hand on that one."  -  Houston Nutt, November 2005 regarding his future hiring of Gus Mal-a-zahn

The Pulse

yeah i think chuck is a good basball pbp. He really follows baseball. And i like Pual of course, but sometimes it just takes forever for him to tell you whats going on.

Valerie

I love Chuck Barrett as Hogs announcer and on SportsRap.  I'm not a fan of sports call in shows but what I like about Chuck is he cuts off the idiots.  After all, it's his show!

pseudorabies

Chuck does do a good job as the baseball PbP guy, no doubt about it.  He would go places if that is what he wanted to do.

TulsaHawg

One of the things I like about Chuck's PBP, is he really describes the game, the atmosphere, the backdrop, if you will, to help you get a feeling of what is really going on in addition to the balls and strikes.

He has a nice easy delivery.  Usually doesn't get too high, or excited, and he doesn't get too low.

I enjoy listening to him.

Kodiak

Quote from: MBAHog on April 30, 2006, 08:03:43 pm
Is Mike Nail much younger than Paul?

LOL  I don't think so  ;D

Quote from: razrken on May 01, 2006, 05:33:40 am
Sully is the heir apparent...thats why he was hired from KARK...I think the deal is done.

And you can back this up how ???
Due to the lack of interest, the remainder of this day has been cancelled.
K.I.S.S.  Keep It Simple Stupid!

razrken

I don't have to back it up....Dale Nicholson controls the media outlets for the U of A and he owns KATV...Sully works for KATV...The states biggest and best station...Unless Mike Nail or Chuck want to move to LR to be the Sports Anchor they really have no chance at the position.  To think any different is just throwing up smoke and mirrors.  If you don't believe that just ask Craig O'Neil why he is not doing PA anymore

Rey Pygsterio

Quote from: DirkPiggler on May 01, 2006, 08:36:14 pmOn road games, he has to do the whole broadcast by himself, unlike MLB announcers.  That's a lot of space to fill, yet there's no dead air. 

Phil Elson calls the Travelers games by himself on the road and at home. Listen to him on 1380 AM and you will hear the difference.
"Rey Pygsterio will slash the tires on your Flex Fuel Tahoe and slap your Bentonville princess wife in the face." - Latarian

MCPeePants

Quote from: TulsaHawg on April 30, 2006, 08:07:56 pm
Quote from: CharlieHog on April 30, 2006, 08:00:44 pm

And what about Chris Berman's calls? "Back, back, back, back, back, back, back........."

Chris Berman may be the most annoying human currently alive.

I think Chuck does a very good job calling Razorback baseball games. However, nobody can compare with Eric Nadel, who calls Texas Rangers games for KRLD 1080. He's the best radio baseball guy there is, IMO.

DirkPiggler

Quote from: Rey Pygsterio on May 02, 2006, 11:48:41 am
Quote from: DirkPiggler on May 01, 2006, 08:36:14 pmOn road games, he has to do the whole broadcast by himself, unlike MLB announcers.  That's a lot of space to fill, yet there's no dead air. 

Phil Elson calls the Travelers games by himself on the road and at home. Listen to him on 1380 AM and you will hear the difference.
Elson is good too.  I wouldn't say he's markedly better than Barrett, but he's good enough to move on to a higher level in time.
"They've forced my hand on that one."  -  Houston Nutt, November 2005 regarding his future hiring of Gus Mal-a-zahn

hogsanity

Chuck is good for what he is.  A COLLEGE PBP GUY. 

I will say this, I would listne to him before those guys that do Cardinal games. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

arkhogdog61

well looks like five people thought chuck was great, whoopee!!!! and as far as Mike Shannon goes Chuck couldn't carry his jockstrap! Also someone said Chuck could go places yeah far away would be GREAT!!!!!