Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Negril, Jamaica

Started by jry04, June 13, 2016, 03:45:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jry04

Staying at a resort in Jamaica in a few weeks. First time going there, so any advice is welcomed. Staying at Couples Negril. Hope to snorkel a few times while there. I have never been scuba diving, but hope to try out the introductory course and one free dive for non-certified divers while there, too. I keep reading mixed reviews on that, though.

Boog41

Beautiful place. It has been several years since I've been, but I pretty much felt I had to stay at my hotel. The minute you leave the grounds of your resort, locals will approach you trying to sell you weed, or braid your hair. Anything sponsored by your place should be fun and safe though.

Atlhogfan1

June 14, 2016, 01:29:32 pm #2 Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 01:39:51 pm by Atlhogfan1
You into that Hedonism stuff? ;)

I'm with Boog.  The resort was beautiful.  Step foot outside the fence and locals not so much(well unless you want weed then you are good).  Prefer USVI/St John's when going to Caribbean.  Snorkling is great there of course.  Good luck on the weather.  Later in the year it gets the more afternoon showers in Caribbean.  You can also get some afternoon wind too.  I'll add, don't be afraid to leave the resort.  Jamaica is a beautiful island. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

jry04

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on June 14, 2016, 01:29:32 pm
You into that Hedonism stuff? ;)

I'm with Boog.  The resort was beautiful.  Step foot outside the fence and locals not so much(well unless you want weed then you are good).  Prefer USVI/St John's when going to Caribbean.  Snorkling is great there of course.  Good luck on the weather.  Later in the year it gets the more afternoon showers in Caribbean.  You can also get some afternoon wind too.  I'll add, don't be afraid to leave the resort.  Jamaica is a beautiful island. 
Not my cup of tea.

Supposedly July is one of the drier months of the year, so I am hoping we get lucky. I fully expect some rain while there.

Boog41

I can't remember what month I was there. I do remember it would rain every afternoon for a couple of hours. The hotel had some name they called it, but can't remember that either. The long and short of it was when the rain came, the couples all go inside and have a some uninterrupted time to take care of business....errr I mean take a nap.

jabberjawls

There is good snorkeling at Booby Cay which is close to where you are staying.  You can actually snorkel from your resort to there. Definitely do the intro scuba dive.  Also go to Rick's Café and check out the cliff divers. The cliffs in Negril are really cool. If you get a chance go to Dunns River Falls which is around Ocho Rios.  Don't be scared to leave your resort but use a lot of common sense about where you go and who you talk to.  Jamaica is very beautiful but can be a little more dangerous than most Caribbean islands.   I'll second Atlhogfan1 in saying St. John is it and that should be your next trip to the Caribbean.

jry04

Quote from: jabberjawls on June 22, 2016, 01:35:12 pm
There is good snorkeling at Booby Cay which is close to where you are staying.  You can actually snorkel from your resort to there. Definitely do the intro scuba dive.  Also go to Rick's Café and check out the cliff divers. The cliffs in Negril are really cool. If you get a chance go to Dunns River Falls which is around Ocho Rios.  Don't be scared to leave your resort but use a lot of common sense about where you go and who you talk to.  Jamaica is very beautiful but can be a little more dangerous than most Caribbean islands.   I'll second Atlhogfan1 in saying St. John is it and that should be your next trip to the Caribbean.
Will Booby Cay be one of the sites my resort will take me to, or is that a separate excursion?

Boarcephus

Quote from: Boog41 on June 14, 2016, 01:24:06 pm
Beautiful place. It has been several years since I've been, but I pretty much felt I had to stay at my hotel. The minute you leave the grounds of your resort, locals will approach you trying to sell you weed, or braid your hair. Anything sponsored by your place should be fun and safe though.

Pretty much sums it up.  Been to Jamaica once and will not go back.   Any time I have to stay on property to be safe tells me I've gone to the wrong place.  Go to Grand Cayman and you can walk anywhere and feel perfectly safe. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

MO.Hog

I got married at Couples Swept Away Negril 9 years ago.  Going back next year.  Loved it, and don't think vendors are just off of the resort they will walk the beach selling occasional items.