Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Petrino Lovers

Started by soooieman, September 18, 2017, 11:28:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

soooieman

I told myself I'd never speak his name again, but after seeing his name pop up in countless posts as "Arkansas can compete for a championship in the SEC with BP" replies and people thinking it was coaching that got us there in 2010-2011 during those "magical" years.
Before I start, let's see how well Hogville can comprehend. DO NOT REPLY WITH BUT BUT BUT CBB this CBB that. Stay on topic and leave Bielema out of this thread. This post is simply to bring some reality to the 2 good years BP had. Go on another post to gripe and moan.

BP only beat 2 SEC teams with winning conference records over those 2 years. TWO! Remember Troy and the Vanderbilt games? Yeah, very similar to the Toledo game. Very lucky to win either of those games. Whenever he played a good team (Alabama) he got blasted just like he did Saturday night vs Clemson.
Also, he fell into a natural lucky recruiting situation. Chris Gragg, DJ Williams, Tyler Wilson, just to name a few were razorbacks no matter who was here. Put all the in state talent combined with an SEC that was really, really, down equals an overvalued 2 years and fools gold. He did beat LSU with Jordan Jefferson. Congrats to him for that feat. Not that we haven't done that in the past few years or anything (cough cough)
At Louisville last year he had the Heisman Trophy WINNER and still struggled with that team. Losses to Virginia and Kentucky combined with several close calls to teams like Duke. He is one of the most overrated coaches in the history of college football when you really dig into his record. Do not just look at W's and L's but who he beat. Point is stop acting like we had an elite coach ... truth is we never had one.

porkrindjimmy

How about this? Blah, blah, blah...Petrino sucks...can't coach...blah, blah, blah...I love Bret...you don't question when it is a reasonable expectation for Bret to improve because Petrino sucks...blah...blah...Bret...great...blah..blah...the end..

PRJ

ZERO

QuoteBP only beat 2 SEC teams with winning conference records over those 2 years. TWO!

He beat three. South Carolina twice, and LSU.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

soooieman

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on September 18, 2017, 11:37:12 pm
How about this? Blah, blah, blah...Petrino sucks...can't coach...blah, blah, blah...I love Bret...you don't question when it is a reasonable expectation for Bret to improve because Petrino sucks...blah...blah...Bret...great...blah..blah...the end..

PRJ
We have a winner in the reading comp fail!! Congrats. You clearly can follow instructions and see that the thread was about BP and not about CBB. Great job at staying on topic and addressing the facts.

bennyl08

Quote from: soooieman on September 18, 2017, 11:28:58 pm
I told myself I'd never speak his name again, but after seeing his name pop up in countless posts as "Arkansas can compete for a championship in the SEC with BP" replies and people thinking it was coaching that got us there in 2010-2011 during those "magical" years.
Before I start, let's see how well Hogville can comprehend. DO NOT REPLY WITH BUT BUT BUT CBB this CBB that. Stay on topic and leave Bielema out of this thread. This post is simply to bring some reality to the 2 good years BP had. Go on another post to gripe and moan.

BP only beat 2 SEC teams with winning conference records over those 2 years. TWO! Remember Troy and the Vanderbilt games? Yeah, very similar to the Toledo game. Very lucky to win either of those games. Whenever he played a good team (Alabama) he got blasted just like he did Saturday night vs Clemson.
Also, he fell into a natural lucky recruiting situation. Chris Gragg, DJ Williams, Tyler Wilson, just to name a few were razorbacks no matter who was here. Put all the in state talent combined with an SEC that was really, really, down equals an overvalued 2 years and fools gold. He did beat LSU with Jordan Jefferson. Congrats to him for that feat. Not that we haven't done that in the past few years or anything (cough cough)
At Louisville last year he had the Heisman Trophy WINNER and still struggled with that team. Losses to Virginia and Kentucky combined with several close calls to teams like Duke. He is one of the most overrated coaches in the history of college football when you really dig into his record. Do not just look at W's and L's but who he beat. Point is stop acting like we had an elite coach ... truth is we never had one.

A professional noodler can still count on one hand the number of coaches that are truly elite by that rubric. Seriously, Saban, maybe Meyer. Not a single other coach out there has a record that meets those requirements.

Further, if we are using elite is a strict term, then very, very , very few people have ever labeled Petrino as an elite coach. Elite here being among the top 3 or so of an entire generation.

There, you have Saban and arguably Meyer among the elite of this generation. Behind them, you have guys like Jimbo Fisher who are very good, but even he doesn't begin to pass your rubric for elite. Lucked into a a program that hadn't had a losing season in 13 years iirc. Lucked into a talent rich area with easy recruiting. Lucked into a bunch of close victories that shouldn't have been close. However, despite all those "red flags" he is without a doubt among the top 5 coaches in all of college football.

So, with that, yes, absolutely agree that Bobby Petrino is not an elite coach. Not even in that same tier of great coaches like Fisher. However, despite some closer than expected victories, they were victories. That's a difference between a good coach and team and a not as good. I'd rank Petrino among the very good at coaching though not necessarily the same rating at other aspects of being a HC.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

soooieman

Quote from: ZERO on September 18, 2017, 11:37:49 pm
He beat three. South Carolina twice, and LSU.
That is correct. They did play both years. My mistake, but point is what it is. Most don't even consider the competition

Kendall

I thought Wilson was going to Tulsa before Petrino was hired.  Second the two losses you bring up.  What year in Petrinos time did they happen?  I wanted the hogs to keep Petrino but thay ship has sailed.  What I want now is a coach who can spread the field.  Im not a fan of we are going to play Alabama style football.  We will never be able to rely on our defense to that degree.

jkstock04

According to you guys Petrino is one of the luckiest guys on the planet. Terrible coach, but just plain lucky lol. Seems legit.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ZERO

I really don't care about Petrino or his in-depth statistics too much. He's gone and that's that. But he won all the games he was supposed to - usually by a wide margin, and then knocked off a good handful of teams on top of that. He didn't constantly provide a win to middling 8-5 teams each year. He ended #5 in 2011, regardless of how he got there. It felt good.

If Bret could just beat all (or even most) of the beatable teams on the schedule, then he'd look a lot better. Maybe he'll never beat Alabama with Nick Saban at the helm. It would just be nice to be in the discussion for something great until late in the season like we were in '98, '06, '10, and '11. If we could consistently be a threat, that's all I can ask for. Bret could do it if he'd stop dropping games to teams that aren't that great in retarded ways. We had our worst conference loss since joining the SEC last year. Worse than anything even in '12 or '13. To Auburn. Not the Auburn that won the NC in '10. Not the Auburn that went to the NC in '13. Not the undefeated '04 Auburn. '16 Auburn that ended 8-5. We prevented 4-8 Missouri from going winless in conference play. What the hell is this nonsense? Forget winning the SEC, just cut this crap out and the hotseat talk will go permanently dormant.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: bennyl08 on September 18, 2017, 11:41:56 pm
A professional noodler can still count on one hand the number of coaches that are truly elite by that rubric. Seriously, Saban, maybe Meyer. Not a single other coach out there has a record that meets those requirements.

Further, if we are using elite is a strict term, then very, very , very few people have ever labeled Petrino as an elite coach. Elite here being among the top 3 or so of an entire generation.

There, you have Saban and arguably Meyer among the elite of this generation. Behind them, you have guys like Jimbo Fisher who are very good, but even he doesn't begin to pass your rubric for elite. Lucked into a a program that hadn't had a losing season in 13 years iirc. Lucked into a talent rich area with easy recruiting. Lucked into a bunch of close victories that shouldn't have been close. However, despite all those "red flags" he is without a doubt among the top 5 coaches in all of college football.

So, with that, yes, absolutely agree that Bobby Petrino is not an elite coach. Not even in that same tier of great coaches like Fisher. However, despite some closer than expected victories, they were victories. That's a difference between a good coach and team and a not as good. I'd rank Petrino among the very good at coaching though not necessarily the same rating at other aspects of being a HC.
What about Dabo? He's got to be up there...
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

Jek Tono Porkins

It's true that 2011 was a few plays away from a 7-5 regular season, but that's true for pretty much every team every year. Football is a game of inches and most teams have close games every year that could have gone the other way. I mean if you apply the same logic to the team last year, they were a few plays away from being 4-8, and the 2015 team was a few plays away from being 5-7 in the regular season. On the flipside, the 2014 team was a few plays away from being 10-2 in the regular season.

What I do remember about the A&M, Vanderbilt, and Ole Miss games in 2011 was that team just absolutely refused to lose those games. Compare that to what we have now where 2nd half meltdowns seem to be standard fare.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: ZERO on September 18, 2017, 11:45:25 pm
I really don't care about Petrino or his in-depth statistics too much. He's gone and that's that. But he won all the games he was supposed to - usually by a wide margin, and then knocked off a good handful of teams on top of that. He didn't constantly provide a win to middling 8-5 teams each year. He ended #5 in 2011, regardless of how he got there. It felt good.

If Bret could just beat all (or even most) of the beatable teams on the schedule, then he'd look a lot better. Maybe he'll never beat Alabama with Nick Saban at the helm. It would just be nice to be in the discussion for something great until late in the season like we were in '98, '06, '10, and '11. If we could consistently be a threat, that's all I can ask for. Bret could do it if he'd stop dropping games to teams that aren't that great in retarded ways. We had our worst conference loss since joining the SEC last year. Worse than anything even in '12 or '13. To Auburn. Not the Auburn that won the NC in '10. Not the Auburn that went to the NC in '13. Not the undefeated '04 Auburn. '16 Auburn that ended 8-5. We prevented 4-8 Missouri from going winless in conference play. What the hell is this nonsense? Forget winning the SEC, just cut this crap out and the hotseat talk will go permanently dormant.
You do know we weren't supposed to beat TCU this year?
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: soooieman on September 18, 2017, 11:41:14 pm
We have a winner in the reading comp fail!! Congrats. You clearly can follow instructions and see that the thread was about BP and not about CBB. Great job at staying on topic and addressing the facts.

I don't need to comprehend anything in that garbled post of yours other than you start a thread about a coach who hasn't coached here is 6 years and you start jawing and yammering about how he sucks. Riddle me this, why you need to start it? Why? Well I will tell you why...you are starting another Petrino post to rally the rest of the knats who will swarm and cover for this atrocity of a program we got going on right here, right now on Fayetteville. That is the reason.

Tell me...when is a reasonable timetable for the coach who is here now to improve our standing? 6 years, 10 years? 18 years? Tell ne Bret's signature wins? LSU with Leslie? Ole Miss when they were beat up? A Texas team that was horrific or maybe Grandpa Bill Snyder and his wildcats? When is a reasonable time frame for you to see marked improvement?

PRJ

soooieman

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 18, 2017, 11:45:02 pm
According to you guys Petrino is one of the luckiest guys on the planet. Terrible coach, but just plain lucky lol. Seems legit.
No luck at all. Didn't need it. Played 80% of the games vs lesser talent

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Kendall on September 18, 2017, 11:44:26 pm
I thought Wilson was going to Tulsa before Petrino was hired.  Second the two losses you bring up.  What year in Petrinos time did they happen?  I wanted the hogs to keep Petrino but thay ship has sailed.  What I want now is a coach who can spread the field.  Im not a fan of we are going to play Alabama style football.  We will never be able to rely on our defense to that degree.

In 5 years, we are still waiting to play Alabama football. Another rubber check...

PRJ

jkstock04

Quote from: soooieman on September 18, 2017, 11:48:22 pm
Well your OP about his time here was mostly about what a "lucky" guy he was. You are right...the SEC was terrible back in 2010 and 2011. Nothing near like the gauntlet it was last year or what it's gonna be this year. Just keeps getting harder and harder.

Petrino...just one lucky coach.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

bennyl08

Also, SEC was far, far from down in the 2010 and 2011 seasons.

LSU's teams of those years would crush the LSU teams of the past 5 seasons.
Auburn was significantly better as well.
Miss State was better over those years than they currently are. Their 2010 team finished #15 and they were ranked most of the time during those seasons.
Alabama was down in 2010, but Bama's teams have undoubtably regressed over the past few seasons. That 2011 Bama team would have crushed Bama's teams of the past couple years.

Aggies were about the same. They have more talent now than then, but less team cohesion.
OM has been better in recent years than under Petrino, though they will likely not go bowling this year even without penalties.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

soooieman

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on September 18, 2017, 11:48:03 pm
I don't need to comprehend anything in that garbled post of yours other than you start a thread about a coach who hasn't coached here is 6 years and you start jawing and yammering about how he sucks. Riddle me this, why you need to start it? Why? Well I will tell you why...you are starting another Petrino post to rally the rest of the knats who will swarm and cover for this atrocity of a program we got going on right here, right now on Fayetteville. That is the reason.

Tell me...when is a reasonable timetable for the coach who is here now to improve our standing? 6 years, 10 years? 18 years? Tell ne Bret's signature wins? LSU with Leslie? Ole Miss when they were beat up? A Texas team that was horrific or maybe Grandpa Bill Snyder and his wildcats? When is a reasonable time frame for you to see marked improvement?

PRJ
I would say when people can reply to a post and stay on topic without getting off on a tangent with the current coach... which I asked not to so what we all could realize the truth of those 2 years and not derail a thread. So to answer your question probably never.

jkstock04

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 18, 2017, 11:47:34 pm
Is that a good thing? And I wonder why that is?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on September 18, 2017, 11:48:03 pm

PRJ
Dude, you're a hoot.. Boobie beat the same Les Mils coached team BB beat, so take that win away from and it's back to 2 wins. Lol

soooieman

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on September 18, 2017, 11:46:55 pm
It's true that 2011 was a few plays away from a 7-5 regular season, but that's true for pretty much every team every year. Football is a game of inches and most teams have close games every year that could have gone the other way. I mean if you apply the same logic to the team last year, they were a few plays away from being 4-8, and the 2015 team was a few plays away from being 5-7 in the regular season. On the flipside, the 2014 team was a few plays away from being 10-2 in the regular season.

What I do remember about the A&M, Vanderbilt, and Ole Miss games in 2011 was that team just absolutely refused to lose those games. Compare that to what we have now where 2nd half meltdowns seem to be standard fare.
Now this is fair criticism. Good post sir.

porkrindjimmy

Tell me what percentage of games Nicks teams play against lesser talent....?

PRJ

jkstock04

Something else with this statement...by this logic is Bama a joke of a deal for Saban as well that shouldn't be respected? After all...99% of his games are against lesser talent?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ZERO

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 18, 2017, 11:47:34 pm

I'm not referencing TCU. Nowhere in my post do I even imply TCU. I happen to think TCU is legitimately good this year and will win or nearly win the Big 12. My whole problem with that loss is we beat them last year at their place and finished with a better record. Then we finished that recruiting cycle within one spot of one another. Yet anyone who even moderately follows college football knew that TCU was going to improve at an enormous pace compared to us - if we even improved at all. That's starting to get on my nerves.

Patterson is a hell of a coach. His teams are usually in the 10+ win territory, so last year was kind of unusual for them. Still would have been nice to not lose by three touchdowns with a home field advantage.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 18, 2017, 11:53:08 pm
Is that a good thing? And I wonder why that is?
They returned a lot more guys then we did? Seniors matter more then your misguided wants in life?

soooieman

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 18, 2017, 11:52:18 pm
Well your OP about his time here was mostly about what a "lucky" guy he was. You are right...the SEC was terrible back in 2010 and 2011. Nothing near like the gauntlet it was last year or what it's gonna be this year. Just keeps getting harder and harder.

Petrino...just one lucky coach.
Lucky to be at the right place at the right time. Had I State studs and a very bad conference. Call it whatever you want. I call it truth.

RedRazorHog

Petrino is a sharp football mind.  I would remind people that he was still building the program when he was terminated.   His style was a polar opposite and due to the nature of a scoring offense it created a different type of pressure.   I don't like him but he is nonetheless a better football coach than Bielema.   Bielema is a better guy, but does not win games.  I would rather have someone else that either of them
"I've found that prayers work best when you have Big Players"

--Knute Rockne

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: soooieman on September 18, 2017, 11:52:39 pm
I would say when people can reply to a post and stay on topic without getting off on a tangent with the current coach... which I asked not to so what we all could realize the truth of those 2 years and not derail a thread. So to answer your question probably never.

Bobby Petrino shouldn't be a topic on MMQB...6 years ago...time has passed....have way more problems today than reminiscing about 6 years ago. Your screed wasn't a topic..it was a rant...on a coach that is gone...when the program today is listing on the high seas....

All to focus on something other than the here and now.

PRJ

jkstock04

Quote from: soooieman on September 18, 2017, 11:55:48 pm
Lucky to be at the right place at the right time. Had I State studs and a very bad conference. Call it whatever you want. I call it truth.
lol I love it. Very terrible conference the SEC was in 2010 and 2011. Nothing compared to last year or this year....for sure man. You go boss, you are on a roll.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 18, 2017, 11:53:14 pm
Dude, you're a hoot.. Boobie beat the same Les Mils coached team BB beat, so take that win away from and it's back to 2 wins. Lol

Bret's big time wins? Meanwhile, here are some of his year 4 goldies...56-3, epic second half collapses against Mizzou and VA Tech....

PRJ

soooieman

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on September 18, 2017, 11:53:40 pm
Tell me what percentage of games Nicks teams play against lesser talent....?

PRJ
Has zero to do with the 2010-2011 seasons at Arkansas. Stay. On. Point.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: ZERO on September 18, 2017, 11:54:54 pm
I'm not referencing TCU. Nowhere in my post do I even imply TCU. I happen to think TCU is legitimately good this year and will win or nearly win the Big 12. My whole problem with that loss is we beat them last year at their place and finished with a better record. Then we finished that recruiting cycle within one spot of one another. Yet anyone who even moderately follows college football knew that TCU was going to improve at an enormous pace compared to us - if we even improved at all. That's starting to get on my nerves.

Patterson is a hell of a coach. His teams are usually in the 10+ win territory, so last year was kind of unusual for them. Still would have been nice to not lose by three touchdowns with a home field advantage.
I actually wanted Patterson as HC at Akansas but didn't happen. They have a lot more experience this year then last and I knew it would be a difficult game to win. But I'm not throwing the whole season out because we lost to a better team. It happens and most fans move on. We ain't in the SWC anymore and TCU isn't the same team they used to be.

bennyl08

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 18, 2017, 11:45:30 pm
What about Dabo? He's got to be up there...

He's up there. However, where he is exactly is TBD. Doesn't have a long history of playing many ranked teams. FSU and a bowl game and that's usually about it. Throw in some real head scratching losses to some bad teams and it is possible he could be among the greats with Jimbo, but definitely doesn't sniff elite yet and could just down with the very goods along Petrino. Still young though as he's only 47. But, in 9 seasons of coaching, only one natty and no undefeated seasons.

For comparison, Urban Meyer is only 53, has 2 undefeated seasons and 3 national championships. Saban has 1 undefeated and 4 natty's at age 65. Meyer will very likely surpass Saban in hardware by the time he's Saban's age. Swinney might, but will very unlikely pass Meyer. Swinney still has a ways to go to catch up to Fisher.

bennyl08

Quote from: soooieman on September 18, 2017, 11:41:14 pm

No comments about how almost nobody has put petrino in the same area of elite as Saban and how even coaches like Jimbo Fisher fail to meet your rubric?

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on September 18, 2017, 11:58:59 pm
Bret's big time wins? Meanwhile, here are some of his year 4 goldies...56-3, epic second half collapses against Mizzou and VA Tech....

PRJ
Well, we beat Ole Miss at their house, who BTW beat Bama that year, to keep them from winning the SEC west but I'm sure you'll find a way to discredit any win BB got.

ZERO

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 19, 2017, 12:00:23 am
I actually wanted Patterson as HC at Akansas but didn't happen. They have a lot more experience this year then last and I knew it would be a difficult game to win. But I'm not throwing the whole season out because we lost to a better team. It happens and most fans move on. We ain't in the SWC anymore and TCU isn't the same team they used to be.

Post-game kneejerk reactions aside, I agree more or less with you. TCU is 3-0 and looking pretty damn good. What happened sucks, but if we have any luck to cash in, maybe we could squeeze an acceptable season out of this. However, it's not like we had a depleted team coming back, ourselves. We've got skill players and the defense looks to be improved a good deal. They finally gave out at the very end of the TCU game, but they kept us in it the whole time. This confusion with the o-line and constant special teams suckage is starting to get old, though.

ZERO

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 19, 2017, 12:03:14 am
Well, we beat Ole Miss at their house, who BTW beat Bama that year, to keep them from winning the SEC west but I'm sure you'll find a way to discredit any win BB got.

If there's one good takeaway from BB's time here, it was that classic game. One of the best CFB has ever seen.

jkstock04

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 18, 2017, 11:55:36 pm
They returned a lot more guys then we did? Seniors matter more then your misguided wants in life?
Misguided wants? That's a little weird. Am I misguided in wanting the Hogs to win football games? Or is it maybe more progressive if we lose?

I guess maybe what you mean is they don't have situations like walk on true freshmen starting on the offensive line....good call there. Supposedly under Bielemas guidance we are supposed to have upperclassmen loaded depth wise. Guess that hasn't happened.

So once again, is it a good thing to you we weren't "supposed" to beat TCU at home? Why is it they have so much more depth and returning experience than us? Bielema just not had enough time yet? Do they recruit more talented players than us?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: bennyl08 on September 19, 2017, 12:01:09 am
He's up there. However, where he is exactly is TBD. Doesn't have a long history of playing many ranked teams. FSU and a bowl game and that's usually about it. Throw in some real head scratching losses to some bad teams and it is possible he could be among the greats with Jimbo, but definitely doesn't sniff elite yet and could just down with the very goods along Petrino. Still young though as he's only 47. But, in 9 seasons of coaching, only one natty and no undefeated seasons.

For comparison, Urban Meyer is only 53, has 2 undefeated seasons and 3 national championships. Saban has 1 undefeated and 4 natty's at age 65. Meyer will very likely surpass Saban in hardware by the time he's Saban's age. Swinney might, but will very unlikely pass Meyer. Swinney still has a ways to go to catch up to Fisher.
Well in the last two years he made it to the NC game and is 1-1 with a win and a loss to Saban. Also he's young with plenty of more years to coach.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: soooieman on September 18, 2017, 11:59:39 pm
Has zero to do with the 2010-2011 seasons at Arkansas. Stay. On. Point.

Stay on point with what? Petrino was 6 years ago. You just thought this up tonight and thought the boys on Hogville will get a hoot out of this well researched screed you threw together....this will make em think how lucky we got it? Petrino REALLY, REALLY SUCKS...

Dear lord, we got love letters, we got Petrino bashing and poor old HIM has been reduced to playing jeopardy on threads tonight.

Meanwhile, Fayetteville burns and there is nothing to see here. You keep rocking with your in depth analysis of Bobby Petrino. I know it lathers you and the following up real nice..

PRJ

soooieman

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on September 18, 2017, 11:57:10 pm
Bobby Petrino shouldn't be a topic on MMQB...6 years ago...time has passed....have way more problems today than reminiscing about 6 years ago. Your screed wasn't a topic..it was a rant...on a coach that is gone...when the program today is listing on the high seas....

All to focus on something other than the here and now.

PRJ
That's my whole point. That people are referencing back to BP in EVERY post and I'm sick of seeing it in the HERE IN NOW. Fact is that his lovers drag his corpse back into every conversation. My hopes were to show people factual numbers of BP vs good competition are non existent. The worship is false and can we please stop the praise and move on to 2017? Ironically that was what I'm going for. Let's move on because he sucks anyway. It's like your best friend telling you about your ex wife and what a ho she was. Bad person-better off now.

soooieman

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on September 18, 2017, 11:58:59 pm

PRJ
Read original post. Do not make about CBB, but since u asked he's #2 in the SEC in wins over top 25 teams. 2nd to only Saban. Not bad huh?

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: ZERO on September 19, 2017, 12:04:03 am
Post-game kneejerk reactions aside, I agree more or less with you. TCU is 3-0 and looking pretty damn good. What happened sucks, but if we have any luck to cash in, maybe we could squeeze an acceptable season out of this. However, it's not like we had a depleted team coming back, ourselves. We've got skill players and the defense looks to be improved a good deal. They finally gave out at the very end of the TCU game, but they kept us in it the whole time. This confusion with the o-line and constant special teams suckage is starting to get old, though.
Not to argue but what skill players did we have coming back this year? Our O-line is young and a mess. Our receivers are 90% new and the loss of RW at RB really hurt. Besides AA our offense is practically new.

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: soooieman on September 19, 2017, 12:06:47 am
That's my whole point. That people are referencing back to BP in EVERY post and I'm sick of seeing it in the HERE IN NOW. Fact is that his lovers drag his corpse back into every conversation. My hopes were to show people factual numbers of BP vs good competition are non existent. The worship is false and can we please stop the praise and move on to 2017? Ironically that was what I'm going for. Let's move on because he sucks anyway. It's like your best friend telling you about your ex wife and what a ho she was. Bad person-better off now.
If Petrino won against Alabama in 2010 or 2011 and LSU in 2011, he would have been playing for a national championship. So apparently his greatest sin here was not playing for a national championship.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

soooieman

Quote from: bennyl08 on September 19, 2017, 12:02:53 am
No comments about how almost nobody has put petrino in the same area of elite as Saban and how even coaches like Jimbo Fisher fail to meet your rubric?
They don't say names. They just bring him up in every topic when things go sour. That's enough Elite or godlike for me. Most probably wear WWPD bracelets

ChitownHawg

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 18, 2017, 11:45:02 pm

Louisville fans think 2.0 sucks compared to 1.0. Loses to Kentucky last year which is a game he should have won.

2.0 doesn't pay attention to the details as he use to. Best to keep 2.0 at Louisville.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

jkstock04

You will never convince me the 2010 and 2011 season were sucky or that the sec was an awful conference then. Maybe you will convince some of that...but not me.

Your logic that if a team/coach beats teams that they are better than...isn't any sort of accomplishment, is a joke. You are basically saying the Ohio States, Clemsons, and Alabamas of football aren't any good because they just beat up on weaker teams and are just lucky to get high end recruits.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on September 19, 2017, 12:10:57 am
If Petrino won against Alabama in 2010 or 2011 and LSU in 2011, he would have been playing for a national championship. So apparently his greatest sin here was not playing for a national championship.
Let me know when he gets to a NC or a conference championship because he's still coaching last time I checked.

porkrindjimmy

Look....I know Bobby isn't coming back here. But here is where a whole lot of people bring Bobby up. Put your stats on the back burner for a minute. What Bobby showed a whole lot of people was that Arkansas could have nice things. Then the taxman came and our nice things were gone. 10-3, 11-2 were nice. Sure, we couldn't brag to our Bama and LSU brethren but we could dang sure clown everybody else....These guys just reference Bobby with having nice things. It isn't Bobby, it is the nice things. We were proud of those nice things...even going back to Hooten Nutt...every once in a while, he made us think we could have nice things. That is where alot of them are at.

PRJ

ZERO

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 19, 2017, 12:09:33 am
Not to argue but what skill players did we have coming back this year? Our O-line is young and a mess. Our receivers are 90% new and the loss of RW at RB really hurt. Besides AA our offense is practically new.

Fifth year senior at QB. Second year 4* RB in Whaley, who we know is good. We have another 4* grad transfer at RB who seems to be working out fine. Cornelius is a solid and experienced WR. He's the only one, but at least we have one. And the TEs are mostly fresh, but it seems to be the one thing we never struggle with under Bielema. The o-line's problems run a little deeper than young, that's what's irritating a lot of people.