Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The interception was not Allen's fault

Started by Squinky The Curse, September 25, 2017, 01:39:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jm

It was a horrible play all the way around. It was a bad play call, followed be less than stellar blocking, followed by a poor route by the receiver, followed by a foolish decision to try and squeeze it in.

Hoggish1

Looks like triple coverage to me, with a stare down for good measure, but it's over and I'm moving on....

311Hog

Quote from: ModestoHOG63 on September 26, 2017, 11:47:33 am
Allen should have never thrown it in the first place.  It was 3rd down and nothing open, run for all you can get and MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN.  You still have 4th down to try something else.   I'm hesitant to want to blame Allen because it very well could be a coaching problem or mis-communication from the staff (Enos)....who knows?    But if was me in that position, I would do my best to run that ball in, fighting and scratching the whole way.

i agree with your post, but what i think about is on the previous play Allen appears to hesitate just a fraction and missed Patton in the back of the end zone maybe he remembered that and did not want to hesitate again.

So many things and i do not blame him for the loss it was yet another crazy game that we once again came out on the losing side of, a part of me thinks these things happen to counter balance the crazy that does go our way like Miracle on Markem and The Henry Heave.

Pig Tymer

Thanks for sharing. That's a great look at how the play developed.
Ultimately, it's Allen's fault, but that's a great instinctive play by the defender.

Watts read the play quickly and came off the WR to break on the ball.
I'm sure Allen thought Watts was going to stay and help on the WR side and actually throws a good ball.
Away from the LB and before the safety (#11) could close.

But I'm sure he locked in on the intended receiver, which made it possible for Watts to read the play and make the pick.

factchecker

If you are going to blame Austin for the loss then you sure as hell better give him some credit for keeping us in the game:

He put us in position to win twice.  Should have never went to OT.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

woodrow hog call

Quote from: Hoggish1 on September 26, 2017, 11:17:53 am
Looks like triple coverage to me, with a stare down for good measure, but it's over and I'm moving on....

I won't say whether it was his fault or not, but we should get the facts straight at least. He was looking left early on in the route, like he wanted Cantrell, both CJ and Cantrell had man coverage but they had two safeties over the top that were keying on AA.

When AA was looking toward Cantrell, one safety went his way a little, then AA looks to his right and lets fly toward CJ with CJ being behind his man about the 1 yrd line. Both safeties break on the ball and are in the area when the ball gets there, with the one kid making a great play on the ball. (it looks like triple coverage at the end of the play, but wasn't really)

If CJ had seen it sooner he might have been able break down quicker and get his body in a better position to shield the defender, but it was a great play by the defender.

It does look like if AA had ran, he had some room around the right end.

Josh Goforth posted all of the passing plays here a couple days ago, go watch them now that the anger has died down a little. If you were one of the people that were saying AA had to start "throwing guys open", you can see him doing that many times here. He is the guy that threw us into the lead and gave us a chance to win with some great deep balls to Nance, so lets celebrate the fact that there is improvement happening and get ready for the next one.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=638306.0

Takes 10:33 seconds to watch them all, highly advise it, pause it when AA gets his drop, then look over the field and see what he has to throw to.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

longpig

Quote from: Squinky The Curse on September 25, 2017, 01:39:07 am
Hopefully I can get this tweet to post here, it shows the end zone view of the last play.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Shadid13/status/911680239926947841?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Ftexags.com%2Fforums%2F25%2Ftopics%2F2887989[/tweet]

ETA: Not sure how to get tweets to post on here since posting the link to tweet in the Twitter message box doesn't seem to work.

https://twitter.com/Shadid13/status/911680239926947841

You can see #23 Armani Watts in the bottom left corner as the play begins, he is helping double the slot receiver at the beginning of the play.

Allen passes the ball to a point, but Watts breaks on the ball ridiculously fast, comes across the field and gets in front for the interception.

This isn't Allen throwing into triple coverage because Watts wasn't actually there in coverage, he just made a great break on the ball.

If you say so, Bobby.
Don't be scared, be smart.

HoggieStyle

1.  Ball floated. That was not the time for a fluffy pass. Watching it again, it took a LOT longer to get there than I remembered.

2. It was 3rd down and we could have acheived a first down without scoring. It was a shot worth taking, but it has to get there on a rope. Austin has plenty of arm, he just didn't use it. Burn it. That way the DB has zero chance and you get another play.

It was a fantastic play by the DB, but to completely absolve Allen of responsibility is absurd.

gangstaback

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on September 25, 2017, 04:42:49 pm
Out of all the dumb posts so far this season, this rings in at the top. Absolutely moronic statement.

Some good points made in this thread ... but this one is the most direct.

Hoggish1

Quote from: factchecker on September 26, 2017, 01:27:43 pm
If you are going to blame Austin for the loss then you sure as hell better give him some credit for keeping us in the game:

He put us in position to win twice.  Should have never went to OT.

Sure.

Kevin

great plays, but he threw the interception, that ball should have never been thrown
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hogtimes

Quote from: Hoggish1 on September 26, 2017, 11:17:53 am

This

woodrow hog call

gawntrail

Quote from: woodrow hog call on September 26, 2017, 09:34:44 pm
Both very wrong, not triple coverage.

It was Man coverage.  Maybe Man Free or Man 2.  The LB was beat by a step grabbing anything he could to try to get back in position.  The other LB/Safety was late.  Austin put that ball where it was catchable.  The kid broke on that route the moment it left Austin's hand and made one hell of a play.  If he doesn't, we score and it's on the kicker to tie and go round 2.

I'm as critical of our poor performances as anyone.  But, Austin took a low risk gamble.....  the Safety took a high risk gamble....

We know how it ended.  Austin has faults and needs to work on things.  But, from my eyes, that throw is a score more times than not. 

311Hog

Quote from: gawntrail on September 26, 2017, 09:57:33 pm
It was Man coverage.  Maybe Man Free or Man 2.  The LB was beat by a step grabbing anything he could to try to get back in position.  The other LB/Safety was late.  Austin put that ball where it was catchable.  The kid broke on that route the moment it left Austin's hand and made one hell of a play.  If he doesn't, we score and it's on the kicker to tie and go round 2.

I'm as critical of our poor performances as anyone.  But, Austin took a low risk gamble.....  the Safety took a high risk gamble....

We know how it ended.  Austin has faults and needs to work on things.  But, from my eyes, that throw is a score more times than not. 

so much ^^^ this.

Basically there were 4 options on this play.

1. TE catches it we score
2. Defensive holding is called on A&M no. 25 and we do this again
3. Incomplete pass
4. Watts makes an amazing veteran play

To me the above were the likely outcomes of the play, and we got the least likely result IMHO.  If the refs hadn't messed up the Mond run call we probably get the Holding/PI call but then again maybe we aren't even in OT at this point.

I just hope Watts is done i am tired of that guy playing lights out against us.

LRHawg

The refs decided Curl couldn't hold a receiver, but A&M could.

WMHawgfan

Quote from: Squinky The Curse on September 25, 2017, 01:39:07 am
Hopefully I can get this tweet to post here, it shows the end zone view of the last play.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Shadid13/status/911680239926947841?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Ftexags.com%2Fforums%2F25%2Ftopics%2F2887989[/tweet]

ETA: Not sure how to get tweets to post on here since posting the link to tweet in the Twitter message box doesn't seem to work.

https://twitter.com/Shadid13/status/911680239926947841

You can see #23 Armani Watts in the bottom left corner as the play begins, he is helping double the slot receiver at the beginning of the play.

Allen passes the ball to a point, but Watts breaks on the ball ridiculously fast, comes across the field and gets in front for the interception.

This isn't Allen throwing into triple coverage because Watts wasn't actually there in coverage, he just made a great break on the ball.
So AA locked in on a receiver and the db read his eyes and broke on the ball, and that's not his fault? Yes it is, AA is to blame for the interception.

He is not to blame though for taking a beating all game, and for not making 43 points hold up.

It just seems whatever needs to happen to make us lose happens. We were great at covering the kicks all game, until we needed it most then a complete meltdown. We played great on defense, until we scored and then it was a complete breakdown that gives up huge plays.

From top to bottom it is just hard to figure this team out. We just have no killer instinct. Every time we knock a team to the dirt, we pick them up, dust them off and let them right back in it.

something has got to give. If we do make a change, I want a tough sob that won't put up that garbage.

Nosboar Accubond

Quote from: Jim Harris on September 25, 2017, 04:40:55 pm
Apparently it's O'Grady's fault for not getting open.
Well... this play was the result of multiple small, but critical miscues:
1. AA should have looked the safety off for a half count
2. AA should have thrown further inside the route, forcing CJ to shave the route inside.
3. CJ should have shaved the route off, his last 5 steps should have cut further left.

Number 3 is where Drew Morgan is a magician, his technique is great and he understands leverage in the moment with the best of them.

AA did not make a great throw and CJ ran a poor route, all exacerbated by predictablity of the play call and AA showing his hand.

Hogtimes

Quote from: woodrow hog call on September 26, 2017, 09:34:44 pm
Both very wrong, not triple coverage.

Well I count three white jerseys within proximity to  one receiver.   Now they were probably not suppose to be in triple coverage.  One or even two of the  three were probably out of position, but never the less they were there when Allen threw the ball. 

woodrow hog call

Quote from: Hogtimes on September 27, 2017, 01:37:32 pm
Well I count three white jerseys within proximity to  one receiver.   Now they were probably not suppose to be in triple coverage.  One or even two of the  three were probably out of position, but never the less they were there when Allen threw the ball. 

Watching it on TV when it happened, my exact words were "triple coverage you gotta be kidding me", then I turned it off.

After watching in slow motion, pausing when the ball is coming out of AA's hand, I can see I was wrong. The problem with the play was, they had two safeties playing a zone coverage, which is 10 yards deep because that's how deep the end zone is, then we run two TE's into the end zone but fairly close together. So that allows the safety between our guys to help out on both, and we didn't have anyone else to draw the other safety away from CJ.

We had a receiver out to the right in flat, but he never went up field much, if he had of been sprinting to the right pylon, the safety that made the interception would of had to give some ground that way so he could be in position to make a play on the ball.

When you couple that with the fact that AA had just thrown a high ball that CJ came down out of the EZ with, so I can see him thinking that if he throws him a low ball that slides down to catch, no way will he not still be in the EZ when he makes the catch.

Like I said in my first post in the thread, I'm not going to say the int wasn't his fault, but I can see why he threw it how he did.

FayettevilleHog

I don't think some of you even watch the games. On that play Allen didn't stare down the receiver. He was looking at the other receiver, then looked right and made a quick read and threw an accurate pass between two defenders. But, he didn't see the third defender that was probably hidden from his view by the TE he was throwing to and/or the guy covering him.

Too aggressive a risk for 3rd down? Probably. But he didn't look at him very long before he threw the pass.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: FayettevilleHog on September 28, 2017, 10:46:14 pm
I don't think some of you even watch the games. On that play Allen didn't stare down the receiver. He was looking at the other receiver, then looked right and made a quick read and threw an accurate pass between two defenders. But, he didn't see the third defender that was probably hidden from his view by the TE he was throwing to and/or the guy covering him.

Too aggressive a risk for 3rd down? Probably. But he didn't look at him very long before he threw the pass.

so the CB sliding over, almost from the corner to the post, happened only after AA threw the ball..  that's a lot of ground to cover for just the time the ball was in the air...

gangstaback

So was today's interception also  an amazing out-of-this-world defensive play?

Kevin

Quote from: gangstaback on September 30, 2017, 03:29:07 pm
So was today's interception also  an amazing out-of-this-world defensive play?
bump
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

bvillepig

Nope it was forced and Jones was wide open on a post with single coverage.