Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I want the most Proven Coach Available...

Started by WilsonHog, November 21, 2017, 04:01:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

...who has Arkansas ties.

That's going to be a fairly short list...

Hoggie17

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 21, 2017, 04:01:50 pm

Who has won big games in the SEC.

Calvin Swine

jjfmetal11

Who has won everywhere they have been.

tolerati

Who knows how to recruit Arkansas and Texas ...
"Show me a quarterback who isn't cocky, and I'll show you a quarterback who isn't worth a damn." - Darrell Royal

Hugo Bezdek

Breems

Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

a0ashle

I don't care about Arkansas ties, I'll sign on for the rest.

HF#1

I think Arkansas ties are more important in the AD candidate. However, it would be nice to have that with all the other items mentioned.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

007 License To Squeal

Proven in the SEC......very, very short list
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

HF#1

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on November 21, 2017, 04:18:31 pm
Proven in the SEC......very, very short list

Only one guy who is proven and has Arkansas ties.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

WilsonHog

Oh, one other criteria: a current head coach.

HF#1

Atlhogfan1

I don't have the time right now but would be interesting to see the stats including QBRs for Gus' QB's going back to Tulsa. 

I think we know what we are getting with Gus.  I care nothing about the Arkansas ties thing.  Actually despise it.  It's our backwards insecure version of affirmative action.  But it's what we do.  Worked with DVH.  Can hold out hope here. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

007 License To Squeal

ricepig

What's the old adage, "wish/want in one hand......"

Grizzlyfan

Deep Shoat

Recruit Texas, Louisiana, and play defense.
All Gas, No Brakes!

ArkansasI

What on earth is this?  What ties did Saban have to LSU or Alabama?  Stoops to Oklahoma?  Fisher to FSU or Dabo to Clemson?  I'm disappointed at how little we imagine things might be. The wages paid are enough to buy real talent.

OkieBack

I don't care if the next UofA football coach is from Nigeria.  If he can recruit The South/Texas/Louisiana and keep Arkansas players at home then sign him up.  But you can't pull a John Blake and simply recruit.  You gotta have a coach who knows where to put em on the field in the OC and DC systems.  There is allot that has to be considered here. 

I will say if the next coach has ever eaten fried okra or knows what calf fries are then its a sure bet he knows the Region and can recruit.

Pork Ranger

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: ArkansasI on November 21, 2017, 04:31:28 pm
What on earth is this?  What ties did Saban have to LSU or Alabama?  Stoops to Oklahoma?  Fisher to FSU or Dabo to Clemson?  I'm disappointed at how little we imagine things might be. The wages paid are enough to buy real talent.

People really believe that anyone outside of Arkansas will leave us for another job if they are successful. Nevermind the last coach to do that was Ken Hatfield. I guess they've been permanently scarred by Eddie Sutton crawling to Kentucky.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: ArkansasI on November 21, 2017, 04:31:28 pm
we got to have us a good ol Arkansaw boy who unnerstans them folks in the Southron parts of the state, how they don't get no recognition because that danged ol bert never went down there to watch them play.  if'n we was 'crootin more of them south Arkiesaw fellers, raised up on corn pone and collard greens, if'n we didn't have that Damn Yankee for uh athletic directorate, and if'n we wooulda hired Tommy Tubaville, we could win another national champeenship ever week.
All Gas, No Brakes!

OkieBack

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on November 21, 2017, 04:09:48 pm
Barry Switzer?

May be for the AD position.  But Barry's getting up there.  He's probably the one guy in the country who looks at Snyder at K-State and says to himself "dang, he's still coaching?"  Lol

WilsonHog

Quote from: Pork Ranger on November 21, 2017, 04:37:08 pm
So you want Gus.

As I said, short list. He is my first choice. Norvell is my second, and I believe the search will begin and end with one of those two. Given our lack of success over the last five years, by bet is that the powers that be want the more proven of the two.

Knot2brite

So the question I have is.....what are you going to be able to live with if none of those criteria are met?
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

MC_Hog

I want the right fit & I could care less about Arkansas ties. I really don't get having to have Arkansas ties! Our best fit & coach may not have ties to this state. Honestly that's the 1950's & 60's mentality.

Breems

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 21, 2017, 04:20:33 pm
I don't have the time right now but would be interesting to see the stats including QBRs for Gus' QB's going back to Tulsa. 

I think we know what we are getting with Gus.  I care nothing about the Arkansas ties thing.  Actually despise it.  It's our backwards insecure version of affirmative action.  But it's what we do.  Worked with DVH.  Can hold out hope here.

We didn't do it 5 years ago.

It's what a lot of schools do. A successful coach that's not coaching in his "home" state will get that call 95% of the time. Alabama, LSU, Ohio St., etc. are the 5% that get their pick of the litter. Not sure how that qualifies as affirmative action.

Kirby Smart, Ed Orgeron, Barry Odom, Will Muschamp, Gus Malzahn, Kevin Sumlin, Jim Harbaugh, etc. That's just how it works.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

OkieBack

Quote from: MC_Hog on November 21, 2017, 05:01:12 pm
I want the right fit & I could care less about Arkansas ties. I really don't get having to have Arkansas ties! Our best fit & coach may not have ties to this state. Honestly that's the 1950's & 60's mentality.

Yeah I wouldn't look so much at a guy with Arkansas ties as much as a guy with Regional ties.  Give me a guy who can sell the program to kids in their living rooms from Texas all the way to Florida and I'll bet you can build one helluva team. 

Priorities to me are:  (1) recruiting abilities, (2) quality assistant coaches, (3) salary, (4) unite the fan base.

If you can rate the next coach with 10's in all these categories I bet we get a winner.

ur

Simple Swineman

Quote from: a0ashle on November 21, 2017, 04:14:13 pm
I don't care about Arkansas ties, I'll sign on for the rest.

I understand this thinking to an extent, but the only two times we've tried the "Arkansas ties" hires were Ken Hatfield and Houston Nutt. Both of those coaches had the best runs of their careers at Arkansas. The thing with having ties to the school or state is that you get the most out of coaches when they are coaching their favorite team or at their dream job.

Just thinking of myself, if I were coaching the Hogs I would take it very personal. This is my team representing my state. It would drive me to go above and beyond to make sure I don't let my team down. I'd give 100% every day and every loss under my watch would hurt me bad.

Now, say I end up coaching somewhere like Ole Miss or Iowa or Oklahoma State. I'm making millions coaching there and probably would say I give 100% in public, but in the back of my mind am I really? Maybe I'm just giving 85% because the job doesn't mean as much. It's not personal to me and it just doesn't hurt me as bad when we lose.

A good coach can get good results anywhere (think Steve Spurrier at South Carolina). But a good coach at his dream job can get exceptional results (think Steve Spurrier at Florida).

Get me a good coach with Arkansas ties and I think we see our program get back SEC championship contention.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 21, 2017, 04:53:22 pm
As I said, short list. He is my first choice. Norvell is my second, and I believe the search will begin and end with one of those two. Given our lack of success over the last five years, by bet is that the powers that be want the more proven of the two.

I can live with either one but, in your opinion, which of the two has the biggest up side?  I feel like Norvell, even though he's much younger, has less HC experience than Gus, has no SEC experience still brings to the table something I like.  In my mind, he's a young Bobby Petrino without the baggage and the abrasiveness. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 21, 2017, 04:53:22 pm
......and I believe the search will begin and end with one of those two.

Very likely correct.

Dark Helmet Hog

hoggusamoungus

IronHog

Quote from: MC_Hog on November 21, 2017, 05:01:12 pm

Exactly

It's us vs the world. 
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

IronHog

BP, Gus, TT, and some old men

Norvell as alternate
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

ur

Quote from: IronHog on November 21, 2017, 06:01:49 pm

BP, Gus, TT, and some old men

Norvell as alternate
Someone threw in current head coach. so that knocks it back to two.

Albert Einswine

I'd prefer any innovative coach who doesn't have a long standing cult following in NWA, and who'd be harder to dispense with than Nutt.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Hollywood870

Quote from: ricepig on November 21, 2017, 04:25:40 pm
What's the old adage, "wish/want in one hand......"
.....take up for Long and Bielema for years and get proven wrong in the other....."

jrulz83

Gus and Sexton are playing you Bus boys and girls.

Way too public for it to happen.

Of course that's just my opinion, we all know what those are like.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Breems on November 21, 2017, 05:04:45 pm
We didn't do it 5 years ago.

It's what a lot of schools do. A successful coach that's not coaching in his "home" state will get that call 95% of the time. Alabama, LSU, Ohio St., etc. are the 5% that get their pick of the litter. Not sure how that qualifies as affirmative action.

Kirby Smart, Ed Orgeron, Barry Odom, Will Muschamp, Gus Malzahn, Kevin Sumlin, Jim Harbaugh, etc. That's just how it works.

Sumlin is from south Alabama and went to Purdue.  Muschamp is from Ga played at UGa. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Boarcephus on November 21, 2017, 05:54:21 pm
I can live with either one but, in your opinion, which of the two has the biggest up side?  I feel like Norvell, even though he's much younger, has less HC experience than Gus, has no SEC experience still brings to the table something I like.  In my mind, he's a young Bobby Petrino without the baggage and the abrasiveness.

LK is more like BP.

ricepig

Quote from: Hollywood870 on November 21, 2017, 06:26:23 pm
.....take up for Long and Bielema for years and get proven wrong in the other....."

I bet our next AD isn't here for 10 years, as to the coach he was given ample time, it didn't work out.

Boarcephus

I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Boarcephus on November 21, 2017, 07:03:32 pm
In more ways than one.

Yep.  Big risk and maybe big reward.  Offensive minds who are constantly setting up a D for something later.   

WilsonHog

Quote from: Knot2brite on November 21, 2017, 04:55:10 pm
So the question I have is.....what are you going to be able to live with if none of those criteria are met?

Malzahn is my first choice, Norvell my second. I doubt it gets beyond that.

MuskogeeHogFan

I don't care if he has Arkansas ties or not.

I care about:

1. Having a proven track record of being able to produce more, out of lesser recruiting classes.
2. An offensive scheme that is easier to recruit to given our position in the SEC West.
3. Has proven himself to be a good to great evaluator of HS/JC talent or is willing to hire someone who is.
4. Has demonstrated that he can hire an excellent staff that knows how to recruit and coach.
5. Allows his Staff to coach their responsibilities and determine who should be playing, under his oversight.
6. Someone who puts greater emphasis on and dedicates practice time to detailed execution in all three phases, offense, defense and ST's.
7. A Coach who prides himself in making excellent in-game and half time adjustments.
8. Has proven that he loves his players, but isn't afraid to call them out (individually) when they aren't producing (inside the locker room).
9. Runs a offensive scheme that stresses opposing defenses and an attacking style of defense that stresses and pressures opposing offenses.
10. Someone who embraces the need for speed and agility in all positions on both sides of the ball.

Fill those requirements and that would be a nice start.

Go Hogs Go!

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Calvin Swine on November 21, 2017, 04:05:03 pm
Time to dig up Bear Bryant then. 

Seems like it would be a "light" reading kind of list. Perhaps in leaflet form....

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.