Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why Did Austin Allen Regress This Year?

Started by UA1985, November 19, 2017, 10:39:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rzrbaxfan

He, along with the rest of this team, hasn't quite been the same since a 56-3 loss at Auburn.

HotlantaHog

Poor offensive line, huge drop from last year in receivers.

Austin Allen is doing fine, but has no supporting cast.

Pancetta

Quote from: Hogwild on November 19, 2017, 10:48:51 am
1) Horrible OL play
2) AA is playing hurt
3) Big drop off at the WR position from last year
4) No one fears our running game

We have a winner!
Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

HotlantaHog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 19, 2017, 02:00:57 pm
DUI per year:

Austin Allen - 0
Cole Kelley - 1

Public intoxication:
Ryan Mallett - 1

(He turned out OK.)

The_Iceman

His arm is shot. Combine that with all the hits to the head, and he is a shell of his former self.

hoghearted

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 20, 2017, 08:24:53 am
His arm is shot. Combine that with all the hits to the head, and he is a shell of his former self.

Yup
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: HotlantaHog on November 20, 2017, 08:22:31 am
Public intoxication:
Ryan Mallett - 1

(He turned out OK.)

PI far better than DUI. But yeah he might end up just fine. He has a lot of upside.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Hogwarrior

November 20, 2017, 12:54:05 pm #107 Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 01:13:30 pm by Hogwarrior
Quote from: toxichog on November 19, 2017, 11:22:58 am
I can't ever remember a QB taking more direct pounding shots than AA the past two years.  Tyler Wilson took a pounding, but nothing like Allen this year.  When given the time he can make all the throws........which makes it all that more frustrating.

When given the time, ALL QBs can make all the throws!  The bottom line is this:  AA and this receiving corp never jelled.  What were they doing all summer and spring?  AA does not and has never had a pocket presence since he became the starter.  The plays develop too slow and the pass patterns do also.  That's a design problem.  Plus, what teams in college or the NFL still take snaps under center every freakin play?  The offense was and is a flawed system and design.  Everyone calling the OLine garbage are just wrong.  How can you have success when coaches have played musical chairs with you for 2 seasons?  How could they develop effective communication with each other?  How could they develop chemistry as a group?  I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised when the new coach excel next season with the same kids.  And yes, I call a regular season 8-4 finish excelling in year 1!

Freebrd

Disagree vehemently stating AA has taken the worst beating.  Tyler Wilson's came back for his last year and took a severe beating.  AA last year had tendencies of hold the ball too long and/or then throw interceptions at critical times.  CK should have qb'd last saturday and it MIGHT have been different.  Although it is hard for a qb to make up for play calling i.e. 4th and 2 with 3+ minutes and 3 times outs left.

hogsanity

HMMMM, lets see, an OL that could not keep him from getting killed. Going from throwing to 4 receivers that made nfl rosters to throwing to guys who can not get open.

Did the offense change that much from the one in 2015 that produced a 3K+ yard passer and a 1,500 yard rusher, or the 2016 offense that produced a 3k+ yard passer and a 1300 yard back. Did the offense change or the personnel.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hogwarrior

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on November 19, 2017, 07:20:27 pm
Now you're just flailing and I'm embarrassed for you.  But, if you desire to be linear, Occam's Razor on this one would be that -- from jump save for a minor anomaly -- AA just hasn't played well.  The last 14-15 games of Hog [lack of] QB adequacy happened.  It was real and it has a common denominator featuring a number not a clipboard.

Sum?  You don't have it figured out AND you're an apologist.

Regarding leadership?  Generals can't lead if their Lieutenants whine, hang their head, blame throw and otherwise pout every time THEY fail to execute a plan at the ground level.  We needed a different leader on the field.  That his name wouldn't end in Allen bothers only you.

Regarding my opinion?  It matters at least as much as yours.  Deal with it.

LMAO!  Leadership begins at the top my friend and it is extended through every element of every organization.  No, Generals, can't lead if they are not trusted by their subordinates, thus, good Generals earn that trust and establish a blue print of expectations.  BB had publicly said too many times and again Saturday night, "some of our leaders being hurt has hurt the team."  Really?  Dude, YOU are the leader!  Bama has ONE leader and ONE leader ONLY!  His leadership is extended to the field because his teams know
what the expectations are. 

1.  This Hog team was soft because of poor leadership.

2.  This Hog team was fragile and could not handle adversity because of poor leadership.

3.  This Hog team poorly utilized personnel because of poor leadership.

4.  This Hog team hasn't been
prepared for second halfs because of poor leadership.

Look, leadership isn't that hard to figure out.  If you show me a failing company, I can show you poor leadership!  The performance of a subordinate is a reflection of good/poor leadership period.

HF#1

Austin's lack of success can be attributed to 2 things...

1. Despicable offensive line play.
2. No speed on the outside. WR's lack separation ability.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Hogwarrior

Quote from: HF#1 on November 20, 2017, 01:11:46 pm
Austin's lack of success can be attributed to 2 things...

1. Despicable offensive line play.
2. No speed on the outside. WR's lack separation ability.

You need to take a long look at #2.  Jordan Jones runs a sub 4.4 forty and could run track if he chose.  Pettway is another WR with 4.4 or sub 4.4 forty speed.  The two JC kids run 4.4 and 4.5 forties.  So sir, it's not an outside speed issue.  Even BB said this is the fastest WR Corp he's had at UA.  What do you guys think DCs in the SEC do all day every day?  They study opposing teams in the SEC!  It's pretty hard to get separation when defenders are sitting on routes DCs have come to know from studying Enos' offense!  It's just that simple!  And oh yeah, I guess Hoganeese doesn't work when your own OLine don't understand it!  Everyone seems to have forgotten that silliness.  It just goes along with "throwing the A", "uncommon", "prepared for life", and "integrity."  Just a bunch of catch phrases and philosophies that has meant absolutely nothing!  Hope I never hear another one of these again.  If so fire the AD and Coach if they even utter them!

HF#1

Quote from: Hogwarrior on November 20, 2017, 01:23:49 pm
You need to take a long look at #2.  Jordan Jones runs a sub 4.4 forty and could run track if he chose.  Pettway is another WR with 4.4 or sub 4.4 forty speed.  The two JC kids run 4.4 and 4.5 forties.  So sir, it's not an outside speed issue.  Even BB said this is the fastest WR Corp he's had at UA.  What do you guys think DCs in the SEC do all day every day?  They study opposing teams in the SEC!  It's pretty hard to get separation when defenders are sitting on routes DCs have come to know from studying Enos' offense!  It's just that simple!  And oh yeah, I guess Hoganeese doesn't work when your own OLine don't understand it!

Where's Jordan been all year? If they are all that good and that fast, they should be able to separate.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Hogwarrior

Quote from: HF#1 on November 20, 2017, 01:24:52 pm
Where's Jordan been all year? If they are all that good and that fast, they should be able to separate.

Where has TJ been all year or Reed last year?  And by the way, speed has nothing to do with separation.  Ever heard the term "DB sat on that route" or "throwing a receiver open" or throwing to a spot and not to the receiver" or "the ball was out before the route was complete?"  I've heard those terms used by every commentator when watching USC, UCLA, and WSU football.  Heard those terms used while watching the Eagles, Vikings, and Rams.  What do all 6 of these teams pro and college have in common?  Great QBs!

majp51

Well I presume that is straight line speed, what that means is they would have to run a Go route or something similar to get that. What that means you have to do is give your QB enough time to wait and throw that route.

I agree that a lot of the OL individually may be underrated (that is our OL properly coached and developed might be an adequate OL) but with existing coaching we are a complete mess.

But I think ultimately the problems stem mostly from :

1) Lack of a good Strength and Conditioning Coach.

2) Lack of Player Development. Can you point to any player that had better stats and improved his draft stock from year to year over the past 2 years at the U of A. I cannot. I don't buy the "He wasn't really a 4 star" crud, what I see in AA is a QB, who makes the same mistakes he made the very first time he touched the field as a razorback. I do not believe that AA is more stubborn than Tim Tebow, Cam Newton, or Dak Prescott, yet all of them were developed to the point that by their last year in school they were significantly improved each year. That puts the problem squarely on the QB coach. This also extends to the Receivers Coach, I haven't seen any of the receivers, including the TE's, to improve much if at all. So if the QB is not improving, and the receiving Corps is not improving, that points to a problem with either talent evaluation or player development.

IronHog

He's been wide open a few times and the QB can't get it there

Kid is good
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.