Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Badger's insight on BB

Started by Wisconsin Guy, November 15, 2017, 01:48:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JethroB.

Quote from: Wisconsin Guy on November 15, 2017, 02:52:51 pm
Will do. You stay classy, RTIDH.

There's always a couple in the crowd.....great post. I was rooting for Wisconsin to beat Michigan last weekend. It took some time for them to get the offense rolling but ended up doing just what I thought they'd do.

SamBuckhart

Quote from: Rayzback on November 15, 2017, 03:50:31 pm
Have no problems with Badger fans. Surprisingly, I have met quite a few that have chosen to retire here.
I have a few living in my area, close to Branson. I love it here in NWA. When Bret was UW, I hated his arrogant way. When he came here I could not believe that he was going to be the HOGS coach. Arkansas has improved his demeanor over time and I like him. Just don't like losing. Whatever happens, we wish he and his family well. Wooo Pig.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

HotlantaHog

This post reminds me of why it is so difficult for an outsider to come up with a reasonable assessment of a new coach (or an AD who doesn't know what he is doing.)

Bret at Wisconsin was the result of a lot of things include the former coach and his top assistant. As the pieces changed, the results were bound to change eventually.

This reminds me of when Tommy Bowden was a super hot coach at Tulane if memory serves correctly -- he was 11-0 and undefeated one year, and ended up at Clemson where he did reasonably well for awhile.  Though whatever success he had was less about Bowden and more about Rich Rodriguez, who was his offensive coordinator. When RichRod left to greener pastures, Bowden was exposed and eventually fired... It was an inept, incompetent coaching staff from which Terry Don Phillips promoted Dabo Swinney to be interim coach and then permanent head coach, to Clemson fans' horror and expectations were super low. Again, it's very hard to assess a really talented coach on a bad staff or a really inept coach on a staff with lots of talent.

One reason I am not likely to make a snap judgment pro or con on whoever the Hogs pick this time -- it is easy to get fooled even if you think you know a lot.

hogginbama

Quote from: RideTillIDieHawg on November 15, 2017, 02:31:28 pm
Worthless post, at the end of the day you still live in Wisconsin have fun shoveling snow all winter.

And this is why authorities are slow to put internet in the trailer parks...ever wonder why we can't have nice things?...there you have it.

Wisconsin guy, stay warm up there this winter. Remember my first winter in 2009 in Sun Prairie, dropped 15-20 inches of snow on us overnight, after the news guy said "gonna have our first small snow shower of the year tonight". Boy was I stupid for believing him.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

hoglady

Quote from: Masshog on November 20, 2017, 06:06:00 am
I did a swing through Madison on a business trip a few weeks ago.  I came away shocked by the stories (from people with solid ties to the program) of his behavior and dependencies. 

I personally found the people in Wisconsin to be very nice and football knowledgeable and can't wait to go back.... in the summer.   

Masshog - you know here in Arkansas our coaches personal failings are never revealed until they are soon to be ex-coaches.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

sowmonella

Thanks OP. One other key thing you for got to add. At Wisconsin his teams only played 14 Top 25 ranked opponents during his entire tenure. At Arkansas over 50% of his games have been against Top 25 ranked opponents. The SEC West is as brutal as they come.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Foshodo

Quote from: moses_007 on November 15, 2017, 02:53:02 pm
So, I guess BB was a drunk at Wisconsin too.  Until this week his drinking had never surfaced here as being a problem.  What we didn't know was that he has been drinking on the job.  Maybe that explains his dumfounded looks during a game, and his inability to be a game coach whatsoever.

Thanks for your insight.

It's been out there almost since the beginning but most were kind and said he parties a bit much or CBB sure likes to have fun.it also used to get deleted on the boards pretty quick if it did come up.  Id bet several who have seen the man in public not in a football setting have interesting stories to tell.

Pigsknuckles

That was cathartic. Great read for anyone here questioning their evaluation, or opinion of CBB's performance here. Seems to be a career long pattern.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Masshog

Quote from: hoglady on November 20, 2017, 08:27:22 am
Masshog - you know here in Arkansas our coaches personal failings are never revealed until they are soon to be ex-coaches.
True, but in fairness I remember posts regarding his drinking and so forth when he was hired.  I was really shocked in terms of the stories I heard in Madison.   
My feets hurt.

elkhog

Quote from: JOKERHOG on November 15, 2017, 01:57:05 pm
Pretty much my assessment.  Always though he was full of hot air and I did NOT welcome him with open arms.  I also don't necessarily wish him well.  He would have to pay back some of the salary he stole from us.  Remember, we were less than a year removed from a top five finish when he was hired and yes, we competed in the SEC W then too.  Colosial failure and should have been gone long before now!

<----I haven't been smiling since day 1.

I never understood the hype.

GO HOGS!!!

hoglady

Quote from: Masshog on November 20, 2017, 09:23:53 am
True, but in fairness I remember posts regarding his drinking and so forth when he was hired.  I was really shocked in terms of the stories I heard in Madison.   

Yep - I've seen some online before from Wisky fans.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

jvanhorn

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on November 15, 2017, 01:59:01 pm
Being frank, my opinion of Badgers fans soured from favorable to poor after we hired Bret due to a lot of butthurt on the internet. Posts like yours are bringing me back around. Thanks for taking the time to share!

My cfp fandom belongs to Miami this year, but I'll root for y'all so long as it doesn't hurt them.

Well I was born and raised in Oklahoma so--you know.  But, hey, if OU can't win it Wisconsin is fine with me.  Who doesn't love the underdog, lol.

jvanhorn

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on November 15, 2017, 01:59:01 pm
Being frank, my opinion of Badgers fans soured from favorable to poor after we hired Bret due to a lot of butthurt on the internet. Posts like yours are bringing me back around. Thanks for taking the time to share!

My cfp fandom belongs to Miami this year, but I'll root for y'all so long as it doesn't hurt them.

Probably the same way Mississippi felt about Arkansas fans when they hired Nutt and we let them know what idiots they were.

HogBreath

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on November 15, 2017, 02:22:27 pm
I spend more time on Reddit /cfb than any other sports forum (besides HV recently)

The Wisconsin fans there... whew lad. But they've gotten better in the past year or so, by and large.
That's my two thoughts on Coach B.....bye and large.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

HAWG MAFIA

Quote from: Wisconsin Guy on November 15, 2017, 01:48:13 pm
You fellows are class acts.

Thanks for the insight and classy post.

However I gotta say it, we aint "fellows" down here. We're either fellas or fellers, I prefer fellas. Either way, thanks again. It's just the hillbilly in me comin out.

Libertarian Hog

Interesting post, thanks for your insight.
Question with boldness even the existence of a God, for if there be one, he must more approve the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jeffersxon

Hudge

Since I am military, I have moved quite a bit the past 20 years and met fans from all teams at all my different duty stations. We left Arkansas and came to Alaska during the Petrino year tenure and shortly after that his motorcycle accident occurred and that was the end of that. I've always let people know I am a Razorback fan, but once Arkansas hire Bret, I had co-workers and even people form other units we work with come up to me and say thanks for Arkansas hiring Bret away from Wisconsin as Wisky will be better for it. Each one of them predicted he would be a failure at Arkansas, and boy where they right. I wish Bret could have worked out and they were proved wrong, but they were right.