Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC s.o.s. based on the SECT seedings

Started by Atlhogfan1, March 06, 2018, 12:11:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlhogfan1

The unbalanced schedule has an influence on the final standings.

Here is how the schedules stack up based on who played who twice and where everyone finished with tiebreakers:

Toughest schedule:  Ole Miss - Played 1 AU, 2 Tenn, 5 Mizzou, 6 Hogs and 7 MSU twice.

Easiest:  Tenn - Played UK twice plus the conference's 11-14 teams twice.  Tenn went 9-1 against this group including 7 wins vs the bottomfeeders.  4-4 vs rest of the conference.
Next easiest: AU - Played 6th seed Hogs twice, 8th seed Bama twice, 11th SC, 12th UGa and 14th OM twice.  AU got 5 wins vs the bottomfeeders.

(SECT seed) Toughest to easiest schedules:
(14) OM
(13) Vandy
(11) SC
(12) UGa
(9)Bama
(8)A&M
(4)UK
(6)Hogs
(5)Mizzou
(10)LSU
(7)MSU
(3)Florida
(1)AU
(2)Tenn

Tenn, AU, Fl and MSU had much easier schedules based on the final conference standings + tiebreakers. 

UK finished higher than their schedule suggested they maybe should have.  They had Tenn, Fl, A&M and Mizzou twice each + Vandy twice.

Finished lower than their schedule's suggested they maybe should have:  LSU and MSU.  LSU had the 5th easiest schedule but finished 10th.  MSU 4th easiest but finished 7th. 

Perhaps some of the reason behind Tenn and AU's "overachieving".  In a conference where the top 6 teams were within 3 games of each other, getting an extra chance at a win vs OM, Vandy, SC and UGa helped. 

For comparison:
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rpi/_/groupId/23

How ESPN sorts out the conference s.o.s. toughest to easiest:

OM
SC
Vandy
Bama
UGa
A&M
Mizzou
UK
Hogs
LSU
Florida
AU
Tenn
MSU

Again, suggesting MSU may have underachieved along with reasons why Tenn and AU finished where they did.  Or perhaps MSU should have been a bottomfeeder had it not been for schedule.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Lud42

Good stuff. Schedule definitely matters. The home and home round robin is one thing the Big XII currently does that I really like.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.--H.L. Mencken

hogsanity

Quote from: Lud42 on March 06, 2018, 12:59:12 pm
Good stuff. Schedule definitely matters. The home and home round robin is one thing the Big XII currently does that I really like.

They can do that, takes 18 games. SEC would require 26.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

niels_boar

Interesting. 

One normalizing factor, though, is that Ole Miss and Vandy didn't get games against themselves, which would have knocked their SOS down.  Likewise, neither did Auburn and UT, which would have increased their SOS.  Also, Bama and UF got to play A&M early with multiple players missing.  When you play a team has an impact.  For instance, it will be preferable to play UK in January than February with all their young players.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: niels_boar on March 06, 2018, 01:17:01 pm
Interesting. 

One normalizing factor, though, is that Ole Miss and Vandy didn't get games against themselves, which would have knocked their SOS down.  Likewise, neither did Auburn and UT, which would have increased their SOS.  Also, Bama and UF got to play A&M early with multiple players missing.  When you play a team has an impact.  For instance, it will be preferable to play UK in January than February with all their young players.

Yes. There is more to it than just the basic numbers.  Can't play yourself so you get grouping of teams with a few exceptions. 

Another factor you could bring in is who you played where in the one game matchups.  For ex our one game vs Tenn and UK were at home. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Lud42

Quote from: hogsanity on March 06, 2018, 01:14:50 pm
They can do that, takes 18 games. SEC would require 26.

I know. Not workable for our league, but I still like it better.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.--H.L. Mencken