Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CBS Sports weighs in-'3 things you need to know' new Ricky Town article

Started by Pig in the Pokey, August 21, 2015, 02:32:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

TuffTusk

Among the three quarterbacks currently backing up Allen, only one -- redshirt sophomore Austin Allen, Brandon's brother -- has seen any game time, and none have Town's top-100 overall recruiting pedigree. After a year of seasoning, it won't surprise anyone if Town wins the job next year.

But don't go anointing him the surefire 2016 starter just yet, either. Both Austin Allen and current Hog freshman Ty Storey were four-star recruits in their own right, and Allen has performed well in his limited action, going 3-of-5 for 65 yards against Ole Miss last fall.

Not one mention about Peavey....foreshadowing maybe??

Anyway, count me in as excited about Town!
Making the world a better place one frosty mug at a time

tophawg19

he left off Rafe Peavey who may have the best combination [ size, speed , and arm strength ] of the three . he can run pretty well .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: tophawg19 on August 21, 2015, 03:00:45 pm
he left off Rafe Peavey who may have the best combination [ size, speed , and arm strength ] of the three . he can run pretty well .
he's a spread QB to me. I love the kid and i'd love to see him play football, i just doubt it's on the Hill. I'd let him transfer to any school and wouldn't be a hater. Bet that would bring some great publicity as well.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on August 21, 2015, 03:12:38 pm
he's a spread QB to me.

Based on Russell Wilson's abilities, would you also label him a "spread QB" as well?
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Pig in the Pokey

Calling All Hogs

2016 should finally be CBB's year at Arkansas where there won't be a big gap between the one number QB and the backup.

WorfHog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on August 21, 2015, 03:12:38 pm
he's a spread QB to me. I love the kid and i'd love to see him play football, i just doubt it's on the Hill. I'd let him transfer to any school and wouldn't be a hater. Bet that would bring some great publicity as well.

Rafe is all Hog! I think he'll compete next spring, but a position change might be a possibility too.

Remember this?

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: WorfHog on August 21, 2015, 09:06:24 pm
Rafe is all Hog! I think he'll compete next spring, but a position change might be a possibility too.

Remember this?

yeah, i love the kid. he was loyal to us even with the clown at the helm. I really can't wait to see the QB competition this spring!!!!

MuskogeeHogFan

Pretty good write up. Current Arkansas QB's who have hope for starting in 2016 better "up" their game. There is a new competitor in "Town".

1. He becomes the highest-regarded quarterback recruit for the Razorbacks since Ryan Mallett.
2. He might be your early favorite to take over the starting job in 2016.
3. The Hogs could use better play under center.

More detail in the article that gives reasons for the 3 points that they listed.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25276764/report-ex-usc-four-star-qb-ricky-town-transferring-to-arkansas
Go Hogs Go!

ricepig

MuskogeeHogFan

Then there is this from Sarkisian.

It is probably a generous description to say freshman quarterback Ricky Town is inconsistent. But it is also slightly absurd to expect much out of a quarterback who should still be a senior at St. Bonaventure High School in Ventura.

After nine spring practices, Town is learning and in no danger of making anyone think twice of Cody Kessler being the starter or Max Browne the backup at USC.

"Ricky Town is up and down," Trojans coach Steve Sarkisian said Saturday. "That's understandable for a quarterback his first time playing college football.

"He does some things and you go, 'Wow, that's a really good read or really good play' and then he makes another throw and you think to yourself, 'What are you thinking?' And then you go, 'Well I know what he's thinking. He wasn't. He didn't know what he's doing. He's a true freshman.'"

Town is unable to comment because USC has not allowed him to speak to the media.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20150328/sarkisian-says-freshman-quarterback-ricky-town-inconsistent

Not sure how much I value his opinion, but there are those on this board that wanted him (Sarkisian) to replace BP. I'm happy with who we have and I think this kid will flourish in terms of development under Enos.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ricepig on August 23, 2015, 02:30:26 pm
You don't peruse the Recruiting Forum often, do you?

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=596790.0

Happy now? Now you can read about what Sarkisian had to say about him, which I didn't see posted. Not sure how much faith I put in Sarkisian given that he doesn't embrace a pro-style of offense, but there it is nonetheless.
Go Hogs Go!

ricepig

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 23, 2015, 03:09:30 pm
Happy now? Now you can read about what Sarkisian had to say about him, which I didn't see posted. Not sure how much faith I put in Sarkisian given that he doesn't embrace a pro-style of offense, but there it is nonetheless.

Always happy.

ZERO

I remember thinking Sarkisian was an underwhelming hire for USC, and I would have been disappointed if we had gotten him. Also, Bèrt's possibly drunken tweeting when he first got here pales in comparison to Sarkisian's drunken event speaking last night.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

wonderboys

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 23, 2015, 02:33:39 pm

It is probably a generous description to say freshman quarterback Ricky Town is inconsistent. But it is also slightly absurd to expect much out of a quarterback who should still be a senior at St. Bonaventure High School in Ventura.

After nine spring practices, Town is learning and in no danger of making anyone think twice of Cody Kessler being the starter or Max Browne the backup at USC.

"Ricky Town is up and down," Trojans coach Steve Sarkisian said Saturday. "That's understandable for a quarterback his first time playing college football.

"He does some things and you go, 'Wow, that's a really good read or really good play' and then he makes another throw and you think to yourself, 'What are you thinking?' And then you go, 'Well I know what he's thinking. He wasn't. He didn't know what he's doing. He's a true freshman.'"

Town is unable to comment because USC has not allowed him to speak to the media.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20150328/sarkisian-says-freshman-quarterback-ricky-town-inconsistent

Not sure how much I value his opinion, but there are those on this board that wanted him (Sarkisian) to replace BP. I'm happy with who we have and I think this kid will flourish in terms of development under Enos.

Was he drunk??

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: WorfHog on August 21, 2015, 09:06:24 pm

Remember this?

Wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit if Rafe took all of this to heart and made himself in-bench-able next year...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

ARtillahog

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on August 23, 2015, 06:39:42 pm
Wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit if Rafe took all of this to heart and made himself in-bench-able next year...

And ultimately, that's what you want out of every position battle.  Force the cream to the top.

mhuff

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 23, 2015, 02:33:39 pm

It is probably a generous description to say freshman quarterback Ricky Town is inconsistent. But it is also slightly absurd to expect much out of a quarterback wh ssssro should still be a senior at St. Bonaventure High School in Ventura.

Town is unable to comment because USC has not allowed him to speak to the media.[/b][/i]

[\quote]

When a kid leaves a program coaches will often try to make a player look questionable rather than the program just saying .I guess the rest of his QB' that stayed all have only up days . Bunch of umpah. Believe it or not I have bad days on the golf course.

PonderinHog

Quote from: mhuff on August 24, 2015, 12:17:26 pm

[\quote]

When a kid leaves a program coaches will often try to make a player look questionable rather than the program just saying .I guess the rest of his QB' that stayed all have only up days . Bunch of umpah. Believe it or not I have bad days on the golf course.
I have bad days on the golf course, too and they all have one thing in common.  They all end with "y."   :-[

mhuff

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: ZERO on August 23, 2015, 03:30:01 pm
Also, Bielema's possibly drunken tweeting when he first got here pales in comparison to Sarkisian's drunken event speaking last night.

Drunk tweeting? When was this and what happened?

ZERO

It was only what every early BB detractor was spouting as reasons why we shouldn't like him several weeks during the first year of his tenure. When he was responding to tweets from Wisconsin fans and defending himself, more than a few people on here were talking about "Jen taking away his phone while he's drinking a six pack".

Surely there's no way you don't remember this if you were here at all throughout 2013. It was the most maddening thing watching idiots grasp at straws as to why we shouldn't like him.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

oldhawg

Quote from: ZERO on August 24, 2015, 04:23:58 pm
It was only what every early BB detractor was spouting as reasons why we shouldn't like him several weeks during the first year of his tenure. When he was responding to tweets from Wisconsin fans and defending himself, more than a few people on here were talking about "Jen taking away his phone while he's drinking a six pack".

Surely there's no way you don't remember this if you were here at all throughout 2013. It was the most maddening thing watching idiots grasp at straws as to why we shouldn't like him.

Yes, I'm sure that Jen talked to "more than a few people" about her husbands drinking habits, or that "more than a few people" saw her taking his phone away while he was drinking a six pack.

I have no great love for Bielema, but what a crock.  Your zero credibility just dropped. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: mhuff on August 24, 2015, 12:17:26 pm

Town is unable to comment because USC has not allowed him to speak to the media.[/b][/i]

[\quote]

I agree, this kid appears to be a football freak in terms of his study of the game. Everyone has bad days, I just had to present the other side of the argument, though based on what video I have seen of this kid talking about how to run an offense and read defenses in the process, he seems to be light years ahead of his chronological age. Gym rat? Maybe, maybe not, but a film rat, a true student of the game? Yes, absolutely. With our facilities and tools at his disposal (video technology) I think he ramps up the competition at QB and that can't be anything but good for Arkansas.
Go Hogs Go!

ZERO

Quote from: oldhawg on August 24, 2015, 07:35:14 pm

Yes, I'm sure that Jen talked to "more than a few people" about her husbands drinking habits, or that "more than a few people" saw her taking his phone away while he was drinking a six pack.

I have no great love for Bielema, but what a crock.  Your zero credibility just dropped.

Quotemore than a few people on here were talking about "Jen taking away his phone while he's drinking a six pack".

Wonderful. Another person who can't read what's in front of him. I said nothing about anyone speaking to Jen directly or seeing her take something. People were talking about how good of an idea it would be if Jen "kept him in line" and took his phone away, because he should "shut his mouth until he wins a few games." Reading comprehension is a wonderful life skill, buddy.

The things I put in quotes over my last two posts were all things that the Bielema doubters were saying early on because they didn't get their splash hire or their own personal favorite candidate. They were angry about us firing Petrino and looking for ways to believe he was just "Nutt 2.0".

I brought all of this up because it was relevant with Sarkisian's behavior, by the way. This was meant to be something positive, like look what it's like when your coach is ACTUALLY drunk in a verifiable way, making an idiot out of himself and making his team look bad.

EDIT: You know what? Upon re-reading it, I can see how you'd think I was saying something that I wasn't. I wasn't suggesting people saw his wife take his phone away in a drunken stupor. People on here were talking about how that's what she should do, since they were convinced he had to be drunk to engage a butthurt Wisconsin fan (presumably a Wisconsin fan) on Twitter. It was a very dumb situation and I'm surprised the two people who commented about it don't remember it happening.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ZERO on August 24, 2015, 10:19:15 pm
Wonderful. Another person who can't read what's in front of him. I said nothing about anyone speaking to Jen directly or seeing her take something. People were talking about how good of an idea it would be if Jen "kept him in line" and took his phone away, because he should "shut his mouth until he wins a few games." Reading comprehension is a wonderful life skill, buddy.

The things I put in quotes over my last two posts were all things that the Bielema doubters were saying early on because they didn't get their splash hire or their own personal favorite candidate. They were angry about us firing Petrino and looking for ways to believe he was just "Nutt 2.0".

I brought all of this up because it was relevant with Sarkisian's behavior, by the way. This was meant to be something positive, like look what it's like when your coach is ACTUALLY drunk in a verifiable way, making an idiot out of himself and making his team look bad.

EDIT: You know what? Upon re-reading it, I can see how you'd think I was saying something that I wasn't. I wasn't suggesting people saw his wife take his phone away in a drunken stupor. People on here were talking about how that's what she should do, since they were convinced he had to be drunk to engage a butthurt Wisconsin fan (presumably a Wisconsin fan) on Twitter. It was a very dumb situation and I'm surprised the two people who commented about it don't remember it happening.
I was with you from the start, as were most peeps. It always happens like this, though, lol.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: ZERO on August 23, 2015, 03:30:01 pm
I remember thinking Sarkisian was an underwhelming hire for USC, and I would have been disappointed if we had gotten him. Also, Bèrt's possibly drunken tweeting when he first got here pales in comparison to Sarkisian's drunken event speaking last night.
While I avoid calling out anyone for their "handle" (it's their choice after all), I'll have a strong hunch that yours also describes the evidence you have concerning the CBB wise crack (i.e NONE, NADA or ZERO). Or do you have such intimate knowledge of CBB's personal habits you could prove such?!

Dwight_K_Shrute

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on August 31, 2015, 10:36:53 am
Any mention of Town's baggage in the article?
And exactly what type "baggage" would that be-alligator, leather, ostrich, cloth or something else?!

presidenthog

Quote from: ZERO on August 24, 2015, 10:19:15 pm

most people on this board have 0 reading comprehension skills. I'm sure thier act score was destroyed by that portion of the test

Vantage 8 dude

So you mention Town's "baggage". I suppose that would mean CBB, famous for his thoroughly vetting recruits prior to accepting their commitment/signing, must have totally whiffed or been so dazzled that he totally missed those supposed faults. Gosh, who knew (except you)? ???

MissippHog

Explain yourself.  The only "baggage" I've seen is message board conjecture.

redeye

Quote from: MissippHog on August 31, 2015, 06:33:45 pm
Explain yourself.  The only "baggage" I've seen is message board conjecture.

This is true.  It started out with people looking for a reason why he transferred.  Next thing you know, some of our radio guys are talking about him having baggage, even though they're not sure what it is.  As fans, we've basically created baggage where no record of baggage ever existed.  As far as I know, he doesn't have any baggage, and no one can produce a receipt of it, either.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: redeye on August 31, 2015, 11:33:17 pm
This is true.  It started out with people looking for a reason why he transferred.  Next thing you know, some of our radio guys are talking about him having baggage, even though they're not sure what it is.  As fans, we've basically created baggage where no record of baggage ever existed.  As far as I know, he doesn't have any baggage, and no one can produce a receipt of it, either.
His former Coach is the one with baggage. In lieu of what's going on at SC it shouldn't have shocked anyone that he left.

greenie

Vantage 8 dude

Interesting that we're STILL waiting to hear your tremendous and wonderful insight into this issue. Then again, like so many others you apparently "open mouth and insert foot" before even knowing what in the world you're talking about. On the other hand, who could have guessed ???

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on September 01, 2015, 07:17:49 am
Interesting that we're STILL waiting to hear your tremendous and wonderful insight into this issue. Then again, like so many others you apparently "open mouth and insert foot" before even knowing what in the world you're talking about. On the other hand, who could have guessed ???

I have just checked back on this thread.  Town doesn't have any baggage.  It was a tongue in cheek reference to the Eric Bolin article that went on and on about Ricky's baggage without giving any proof.

I was thinking most on here would be sharp enough to catch that, and then make a smart a** comment about Bolin because really we can't bash this guy enough.

The point being made was CBS Sports a reputable news outlet made no mention of any baggage or Bielema sacrificing his principles yet some yahoo like Bolin at the Arkansas News Bureau did no research cited no sources yet came to the conclusion that the kid had baggage, and Bielema was being a hypocrite.

The CBS article further highlights the ridiculousness of Bolin's piece and of Bolin in general.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 01, 2015, 07:47:45 am
I have just checked back on this thread.  Town doesn't have any baggage.  It was a tongue in cheek reference to the Eric Bolin article that went on and on about Ricky's baggage without giving any proof.

I was thinking most on here would be sharp enough to catch that, and then make a smart a** comment about Bolin because really we can't bash this guy enough.

The point being made was CBS Sports a reputable news outlet made no mention of any baggage or Bielema sacrificing his principles yet some yahoo like Bolin at the Arkansas News Bureau did no research cited no sources yet came to the conclusion that the kid had baggage, and Bielema was being a hypocrite.

The CBS article further highlights the ridiculousness of Bolin's piece and of Bolin in general.
Well since I don't particularly follow Bolin or any of the other writers that might have contributed to any articles about Town then I wouldn't have picked up and any tongue-in-cheek reference you were attempting to make. In perusing some of the other poster's reactions to your comment I suspect they too were not catching your intent.....

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on September 01, 2015, 10:25:12 am
Well since I don't particularly follow Bolin or any of the other writers that might have contributed to any articles about Town then I wouldn't have picked up and any tongue-in-cheek reference you were attempting to make. In perusing some of the other poster's reactions to your comment I suspect they too were not catching your intent.....

I can't help it if people are slow on the uptake.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 01, 2015, 10:50:45 am
Well obviously we can't all be Norman Einsteins like you.  ;) ::) 8)

redeye

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 01, 2015, 10:50:45 am

I know about Bolin, but didn't realize you were talking about him.  He's another example of our local media making hasty assumptions.