Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Impact of Town in recruiting

Started by JackJohnson, August 20, 2015, 11:10:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JackJohnson

I'm getting way ahead of myself here, however getting this kid could have some major positive impact for us.

When we first hired CBB I thought OK well we may have some trouble recruiting QB's and WR's going forward but it is what it is.  However it has been just the opposite.  We will literally be lined up with former 4* or better on at least one service in AA, RP, TY, RT and CK.  We have also managed to sign some really explosive WR's the past couple of classes with more coming this year.  As a matter of fact it can easily be argued that our QB and WR recruiting has been light years better then RB recruiting

However getting a kid like Town could be a game changer.  EVERYONE knows we run a pro style offense and use play action off of that but has been centered around the run the first 2 years under CBB.  Enter Town.  A true Pro Style QB with offers from everywhere that has that glamour of being a golden boy QB from Cali.  The fact that we will have a kid that nationally known on campus is sure to help with the rest of the skill guys we are recruiting this year and going forward. It also proves/shows our commitment to having a truly balanced O and now we have a centerpiece to sell to recruits

RB recruits-  have to love the fact that there is going to be a QB that can keep the D out of the box

WR recruits- have to love that they will have a kid with such arm talent throwing them the ball in what should be one on one coverage. 

OL will want to block in a pro style offense with balance to prepare them for the NFL

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Huds_HawgTide

"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

JIHawg

Good points.  I'm beginning to want it to happen. Show him the new 3-d tool.  That should seal the deal. 

OLDHOG

Is this really a possibility? I don't want to get my hopes to high.

Huds_HawgTide

"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: Huds_HawgTide on August 20, 2015, 11:34:33 am
Id say right now its 90% done deal

Our coaches haven't even offered, so I wouldn't put it that high. 100% chance Town wants to come here tho, ball is in our court

Huds_HawgTide

tommy boy

Hou-Hog

Why is he transferring?  I have not heard a reason.

lefty08

Quote from: Hou-Hog on August 20, 2015, 12:33:29 pm
Why is he transferring?  I have not heard a reason.

He isn't a duel threat QB
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

FraggleHog

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on August 20, 2015, 12:09:43 pm
Our coaches haven't even offered, so I wouldn't put it that high. 100% chance Town wants to come here tho, ball is in our court

Do you have an inside source that can confirm he hasn't been offered? He very well could've been offered today during his visit, no?
Calling the Hogs from DFW

Pigsfeat

Quote from: OLDHOG on August 20, 2015, 11:20:21 am
Is this really a possibility? I don't want to get my hopes to high.

When I first heard about Town looking at the Hogs as a possible landing spot, I thought "No chance!". Now...Looks like it could actually happen!
"You don't eat mayonnaise to be healthy!"
E. Neal

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Pigsfeat on August 20, 2015, 01:43:41 pm
When I first heard about Town looking at the Hogs as a possible landing spot, I thought "No chance!". Now...Looks like it could actually happen!
Hog lock.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

WooPig90

Quote from: FraggleHog on August 20, 2015, 01:35:02 pm
Do you have an inside source that can confirm he hasn't been offered? He very well could've been offered today during his visit, no?

RD

FraggleHog

Quote from: WooPig90 on August 20, 2015, 02:10:15 pm
RD

RD won't know what happened today until he gets word. He very well could've been evaluated and extended an offer today.
Calling the Hogs from DFW

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: FraggleHog on August 20, 2015, 01:35:02 pm

Every single person who covers arkansas recruiting has said he hasn't been offered yet. is it possible they have decided to offer him 10 minutes ago, I guess so.

ARtillahog

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on August 20, 2015, 02:33:13 pm
Every single person who covers arkansas recruiting has said he hasn't been offered yet. is it possible they have decided to offer him 10 minutes ago, I guess so.

This ^. RD also said the visit was on Town's own expense, this visit was an unofficial.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on August 20, 2015, 02:33:13 pm
they tell what they are told.
@Slackaveli

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: JackJohnson on August 20, 2015, 11:10:53 am
I'm getting way ahead of myself here, however getting this kid could have some major positive impact for us.

When we first hired CBB I thought OK well we may have some trouble recruiting QB's and WR's going forward but it is what it is.  However it has been just the opposite.  We will literally be lined up with former 4* or better on at least one service in AA, RP, TY, RT and CK.  We have also managed to sign some really explosive WR's the past couple of classes with more coming this year.  As a matter of fact it can easily be argued that our QB and WR recruiting has been light years better then RB recruiting

However getting a kid like Town could be a game changer.  EVERYONE knows we run a pro style offense and use play action off of that but has been centered around the run the first 2 years under CBB.  Enter Town.  A true Pro Style QB with offers from everywhere that has that glamour of being a golden boy QB from Cali.  The fact that we will have a kid that nationally known on campus is sure to help with the rest of the skill guys we are recruiting this year and going forward. It also proves/shows our commitment to having a truly balanced O and now we have a centerpiece to sell to recruits

RB recruits-  have to love the fact that there is going to be a QB that can keep the D out of the box

WR recruits- have to love that they will have a kid with such arm talent throwing them the ball in what should be one on one coverage. 

OL will want to block in a pro style offense with balance to prepare them for the NFL
Always want to be careful when dealing with the D in the box.

hogman99

We can call him Sunshine!!

The Recruiting Guy

Quote from: FraggleHog on August 20, 2015, 02:13:13 pm
RD won't know what happened today until he gets word. He very well could've been evaluated and extended an offer today.

As of the last update.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2015/aug/20/thurs/

The Recruiting Guy

It's all about perception. Some kids would see it as a big deal while others would look at the bios of the three backups and see similar credentials.

Bowfishinghogfan

not even close in the talent level and competition he played in vs whats on campus. Not even remotely close. Ill take a kid who plays in one of the highest divisions in CA and dominates over whats on campus now.

ICEman

Alabama, Auburn and LSU seem to get these high-end transplants all the time.  Now it seems to be our turn to join in on the QB lottery.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

ricepig

Quote from: duckman on August 20, 2015, 07:16:32 pm
That and USC is going to a dual threat type QB, not his forte, why don't you do a little background research before your talk out of your a$$....

Did you hear or read the tweets from Bo's show today with Lugingbill?

Hawgzinbowlz

That and USC is going to a dual threat type QB, not his forte, why don't you do a little background research before your talk out of your a$$....

Quote from: ICEman on August 20, 2015, 07:21:18 pm
Alabama, Auburn and LSU seem to get these high-end transplants all the time.  Now it seems to be our turn to join in on the QB lottery.

This is what happens to a program on the rise.

" GO HOGS "

hawgwash

One thing I haven't understood is did he not know in January what type of offense USC was going to run?

duckman

Quote from: ricepig on August 20, 2015, 07:35:50 pm

Some of it, I was working.  I am sure we are vetting the situation.

duckman

Quote from: hawgwash on August 20, 2015, 07:50:15 pm
One thing I haven't understood is did he not know in January what type of offense USC was going to run?

Probably had more to do with him being enamored with USC...

Hawgzinbowlz

Apparently it took him more time. When the reality of being in a system he wasn't comfortable with hit him in the face he decided it was time to choose a better path.

If the coaches think this will help us in our quest to reach Atlanta, let's get it done.

" GO HOGS "

hawgXi

Impact could result in wr tyrie cleveland elevating his interest in the hogs.

Pig in the Pokey

he spent dozens of hours breaking down film with him telling him what they were gonna do with him. since then it's become known that USC is going more to a spread. Read the article about his dad.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2030864-the-life-of-a-5-star-parent-through-the-eyes-of-ricky-towns-father
@Slackaveli

Huds_HawgTide

He runs a 4.6 and was prob told lies that they are going more pro style...then gets there and they want to use his speed
tommy boy

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Huds_HawgTide on August 20, 2015, 08:27:03 pm
He runs a 4.6 and was prob told lies that they are going more pro style...then gets there and they want to use his speed
true
@Slackaveli

Hawgzinbowlz

It reads like Ricky's decision making ability, in game situations, is one of his strong attributes. Throwing the ball in practice, scrimmages and workouts is very different than throwing the ball against an SEC defense coming with their hair on fire.

" GO HOGS "

HoneyNuttPetrinoos

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on August 20, 2015, 09:27:11 pm
It reads like Ricky's decision making ability, in game situations, is one of his strong attributes. Throwing the ball in practice, scrimmages and workouts is very different than throwing the ball against an SEC defense coming with their hair on fire.

" GO HOGS "

I know what you are saying but last year the Sec defenses weren't that good and I'll expect the same this year. TCU which generally speaking is not known for throwing the ball and torched Ole Miss.  We threw fairly decent.  This kid will not have a problem

Dwight_K_Shrute

Ricky Town is such a baller name. I'd offer on that alone. Also sounds like a good name for referring to yourself in the third person.
Reporter:  Ricky what can you bring to the Razorbacks?
Ricky:  I will tell you what Ricky Town brings, mad skills, swagga, and hype.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Woopig69

Quote from: ricepig on August 20, 2015, 07:35:50 pm
I missed them. Would you mind posting them?

ChiTown27

Isn't a dual threat? He runs a 4.6....
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul
can always depend on the support of Paul."

George Bernard Shaw

Erockster20

On Rivals...Town was the #5 rated QB...Storey was #6...how does he help recruiting that Storey wouldn't?

duckman

Quote from: Erockster20 on August 21, 2015, 04:27:41 am
On Rivals...Town was the #5 rated QB...Storey was #6...how does he help recruiting that Storey wouldn't?

It's called competition which makes everyone better and it immediately increases your chances of getting a good QB...

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Erockster20 on August 21, 2015, 04:27:41 am

Towns got a lot more pup than Storey. Towns spent several months as 247's Number player overall regardless of position see link below. The Elite 11 is a big thing of the recruiting trail (although I think it's overrated) and Town was invited and finished 8th overall, Storey didn't even make the Group of 18. However, I'm not really sure if it will have a big recruiting impact unless he starts playing really well. If he had committed to us last year it would have been huge for recruiting but now that his class has signed his pup may not be as effective with the 2016 class.

I will say that if Towns was able to ball out and get to the NFL Arkansas could actually have a chance to turn CA into a state we maybe able to HS players out of. I thinking players maybe like Tennessee was able to get out of CA when Fulmer had some success stories from there.

http://247sports.com/Article/QB-Ricky-Town-at-No-1-heads-the-updated-Top247-for-2015-178080

AugustaHog

For anyone who is questioning our interest in Town, I pose this question.  If in February, we inked a class that had (depending on the recruiting site) two of the top 6-10 QBs in the country, would you be upset about that?  Sure, there may be some shake-up with the depth chart over time, and somebody may transfer, but it will all work itself out and our butts will be covered.  I don't recall anyone at UGA complaining when they signed both Aaron Murray and Zach Mettenberger in the same class.  Elite teams sign 2 highly rated guys all the time and it seems to work pretty well for them.  If our staff feels like Ricky could be a good fit and add to the competition in our QB room, we need this kid to be a Hog.  If not, they will make the right call and he will go elsewhere. 

nwahogfan1

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on August 20, 2015, 12:09:43 pm

How do we know he has not been offered.  I assume he came in on a paid visit and he was a top 5 HS QB in the country so why do you think he was not be offered before he got here?   I can see that maybe they told him they wanted to see him first and they wanted him to see the campus before offering him a scholarship.   

But once he showed up on campus I just betcha the offer came.

lefty08

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on August 21, 2015, 09:15:17 am
How do we know he has not been offered.  I assume he came in on a paid visit and he was a top 5 HS QB in the country so why do you think he was not be offered before he got here?   I can see that maybe they told him they wanted to see him first and they wanted him to see the campus before offering him a scholarship.   

But once he showed up on campus I just betcha the offer came.

He is paying his own way and as of last night literally everyone was reporting no offer

Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

duckman

Quote from: lefty08 on August 21, 2015, 09:16:46 am
He is paying his own way and as of last night literally everyone was reporting no offer

Who reported no offer....

nwahogfan1

I love Storey and have faith in him but short term I think Town coming from a bigger school and playing much better teams that he may be more ready to play in the SEC.

I say sign Town up and let them compete.

JaketheSnake

Ill root for Storey to win the job, but enjoy some competition from Town! 

ricepig

Quote from: duckman on August 21, 2015, 09:17:45 am
Who reported no offer....

Who reported an offer.....no one knows, and won't until he says something.