Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ricky Town

Started by Music City Hog, August 18, 2015, 07:55:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Music City Hog

247 says they are hearing Arkansas and Florida as possible destinations. 

http://arkansas.247sports.com/Bolt/Two-SEC-contenders-for-Town-38801586

DutchHog

What's his reason for transferring other than wanting to play in a pro-style offense? What does this possible transfer say about the status of the current backups in Rafe and Austin particularly?

ldfergu

Music City Hog

Quote from: DutchHog on August 18, 2015, 08:01:14 am
What's his reason for transferring other than wanting to play in a pro-style offense? What does this possible transfer say about the status of the current backups in Rafe and Austin particularly?

He probably goes to Florida because he has a pre-existing relationship with their OC.

He had another big time QB in his class at usc and more studs coming behind him.  I think he wanted to go to a place where he had a better chance of winning the job sooner.

bigfan

Wonder why he is excluded from A-state.....

PorkRinds

Quote from: bigfan on August 18, 2015, 08:08:27 am
Wonder why he is excluded from A-state.....

USC starts the season by playing A State, so I would assume that's the reason.

Hawgz2thewall

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Two-SEC-contenders-for-Town-38801586

Florida and Arkansas.  Its interesting the random schools that he can not consider.  Curious if this has any weight to it?

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Music City Hog on August 18, 2015, 08:05:42 am
He probably goes to Florida because he has a pre-existing relationship with their OC.

He had another big time QB in his class at usc and more studs coming behind him.  I think he wanted to go to a place where he had a better chance of winning the job sooner.

I would love for the virtual reality to come in play here as it being something we have over FL.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: DutchHog on August 18, 2015, 08:01:14 am

Ricky Towns is a more talented prospect than Rafe, Austin and Ty Storey. Also once after he sits this year he will have 4 years of Eligibility left.

The_Iceman

I just don't see the need with A.Allen, Peavey, Storey, and Kelley.

Virgil

That is interesting.
It's not what you push but what pushes you!!

BigSexyHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 18, 2015, 08:41:05 am

I will take him if he wants to come to Arkansas
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

DutchHog

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on August 18, 2015, 08:40:27 am
Ricky Towns is a more talented prospect than Rafe, Austin and Ty Storey. Also once after he sits this year he will have 4 years of Eligibility left.

Yeah, I'm not against the transfer. It would basically be a redshirt for him if he can transfer before the season starts, have the whole year to sit and learn the playbook, and then be ready to compete in the Spring if he decides to come here. It would be the best to come here if he were going to do so.

TrueBlue

Nutt said he could be a tight end for us.

The_Iceman

The kid does have a cannon for an arm. He came from a pro-style system and that appears to be a priority for him. With us already having a tight 105 man roster, it would seem difficult to carry 5 scholarship QB's in 2016.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 18, 2015, 08:57:19 am

The kid does have a cannon for an arm. He came from a pro-style system and that appears to be a priority for him. With us already having a tight 105 man roster, it would seem difficult to carry 5 scholarship QB's in 2016.

Would not say that at all. However...
[CENSORED]!

Hoggish1

Quote from: Music City Hog on August 18, 2015, 08:05:42 am

...and at FU he has a quicker path, almost immediate.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 18, 2015, 08:58:32 am
Would not say that at all. However...

I just find it difficult to believe that 5 4-star QB's will stay on Arkansas's roster. Someone will have to go. Competition is competition though, so I guess it can only make us better. I wouldn't be surprised to see Town go to Florida tho, much easier job to win there.

Biggus Piggus

Won't you take me to Ricky Town?
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 18, 2015, 09:05:34 am
I just find it difficult to believe that 5 4-star QB's will stay on Arkansas's roster. Someone will have to go. Competition is competition though, so I guess it can only make us better. I wouldn't be surprised to see Town go to Florida tho, much easier job to win there.

Transfer has to redshirt. Not a big deal.
[CENSORED]!

HOGINTENNESSEE

August 18, 2015, 09:06:34 am #20 Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 09:23:25 am by HOGINTENNESSEE
Quote from: Hoggish1 on August 18, 2015, 09:03:17 am
...and at FU he has a quicker path, almost immediate.

Not if Will Grier does as will as FL thinks he will. Here it's a wide open competition next year.

JackJohnson

it is clear the coaches are wanting another QB on the roster to compete for the starting job next year by continuing to be included in QB transfers like the kid from Purdue and now Town.  There was even that pic of Enos making the donation to the RF that had a personalized letter to JC QB and Tenn transfer Riley Ferguson (whatever happened there anyways?).  With Enos now having gone through a full spring as well as a couple weeks of fall camp- he must not be 100% sold the answer for the 2016 season is already on campus.

IF our OC and HC deem it necessary to bring in another QB after being around these guys as much as they are then who are we to argue?  Reading between the lines it seems like it is pretty cut and dried to me

On a side note- I wouldn't be the least bit shocked if Cooper Rush- Enos QB at CMU- isn't mentioned and/or sought out as a graduate transfer after this season to play his RS Sr season here competing for the starting job.  Kid is an academic all American and will be graduated and will have 3 years starting experience at the D1 level and has played 3 years under Enos counting his RS season which might be just what our inexperienced offense will need in 2016

MS_HogFan

Quote from: JackJohnson on August 18, 2015, 09:06:50 am

On a side note- I wouldn't be the least bit shocked if Cooper Rush- Enos QB at CMU- isn't mentioned and/or sought out as a graduate transfer after this season to play his RS Sr season here competing for the starting job.  Kid is an academic all American and will be graduated and will have 3 years starting experience at the D1 level and has played 3 years under Enos counting his RS season which might be just what our inexperienced offense will need in 2016

Thanks Jack. Good info here.
SOOIE

nwahogfan1

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 18, 2015, 08:41:05 am

Called competition.   Also once a under classman wins the job over an older QB then you will see transfers.  I like one in each class with the older one winning the job because I think older QBs have that experience but that just doesn't always happen.

JackJohnson

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 18, 2015, 09:05:34 am

Grier is a RS Fr and harris is what a true so?  either way town is going to have sit at least a couple years behind an established starter.  Here he will have just a good a chance as anyone to win the job

yraciv

At some point, we're going to have a QB transfer out.  If Storey jumps either AA or Rafe on the depth chart; I expect it will be one of them.  Town has a big arm, and comes from a pro style system.  I think he has the potential to come in and compete for a spot on the depth chart next season, where as Kelly I think is likely to need a couple years.

RazorPiggie

Too good to be true. Won't happen. Never does with us haha.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: RazorPiggie on August 18, 2015, 09:33:38 am
Too good to be true. Won't happen. Never does with us haha.

Like Ryan Mallett?

But yeah IMO it's FL. Towns committed to Bama went the FL OC was the Bama OC.

However, I would love to blow him away on an Official here.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Hoggard

Coach Enos is widely considered one of the best recruiters around. We are about to find out how well he is going to recruit the QB position here. IF he can land a big time recruit like this the sky is the limit for our Hogs. I would like to see comp between him and Ty next year. Talk about winning the SEC. Devin White running the ball behind our massive offensive line and guys like Ty and Town battling it out for the QB position !!!!

Dang !!!!!  :razorback:
God is Love. Its as simple as that. It's the one fruit I can and WILL judge you by.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on August 18, 2015, 10:06:05 am
Like Ryan Mallett?

But yeah IMO it's FL. Towns committed to Bama went the FL OC was the Bama OC.

However, I would love to blow him away on an Official here.

Ryan was coming back home, plus the 2 different coaching staffs and his coaching staff at Michigan changed as well.

LRHawg

The 6-foot-3, 205-pound California native was ranked as the country's No. 6 overall pro-style quarterback and the country's No. 79 overall player, according to 247Sports Composite Rankings.

For comparison, Ty is #9 pro-style QB on 247. He's also already had a spring and fall camp with the team and Enos.

I'm not really sure we need this kid, although competition at the position isn't a bad thing. I'm surprised LSU isn't all over him, they don't have any QB's signed in that class anywhere close to the level that several of the other SEC schools do.

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&Position=PRO

HogShat

How would this bode for continuity in your already pretty solid group? Recruiting and signing a stud prospect out of HS is one thing, but bringing in a transfer could cause some division. I guess business is business.

Adam Stokes

I remember seeing on the ESPN front page that he was transferring and thought "I bet there is going to be some poster starting a thread about this when like all the others we probably have 0 chance." 

Well what do you know, we might actually :)

Does anyone know what his reasoning for transferring is?

31to6

Quote from: LRHawg on August 18, 2015, 10:33:48 am
I'm surprised LSU isn't all over him, they don't have any QB's signed in that class anywhere close to the level that several of the other SEC schools do.
Just about every great season at LSU has been with a Pro-style QB at the helm.

Which is why they almost exclusively recruit dual-threat QBs..... LOL

Hogsolo

More competition at QB.  I don't see him as any better than the choices we already have.   

31to6

Quote from: HogShat on August 18, 2015, 10:38:17 am
How would this bode for continuity in your already pretty solid group? Recruiting and signing a stud prospect out of HS is one thing, but bringing in a transfer could cause some division. I guess business is business.
He is a class of 2015 kid, transferring before his freshman season even starts.

Not that much difference than if we had signed a 2nd QB in February since a freshman QB almost always redshirts anyway. We offered 2 other QB's in 2015 even though we had Ty Storey as a solid commit, so it's not a crazy notion.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Hoggard on August 18, 2015, 10:23:36 am
Coach Enos is widely considered one of the best recruiters around. We are about to find out how well he is going to recruit the QB position here. IF he can land a big time recruit like this the sky is the limit for our Hogs. I would like to see comp between him and Ty next year. Talk about winning the SEC. Devin White running the ball behind our massive offensive line and guys like Ty and Town battling it out for the QB position !!!!

Dang !!!!!  :razorback:

According to who?  I haven't really heard that about him.  I'm hoping he's an upgrade in OC, and he certainly can't be a worse recruiter than Chaney.  But I hadn't seen "best recruiter around" thrown about when discussing Enos.

31to6

Quote from: Hawgz2thewall on August 18, 2015, 08:36:54 am
http://247sports.com/Bolt/Two-SEC-contenders-for-Town-38801586

Florida and Arkansas.  Its interesting the random schools that he can not consider.  Curious if this has any weight to it?
Not random at all:
"Schools Town cannot consider per his release from USC include all of the Pac 12, Alabama, Arkansas State, Idaho, UNLV, Notre Dame, Utah State, Western Michigan, Texas and BYU. All are future opponents of the Trojans."

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: RazorPiggie on August 18, 2015, 10:27:52 am
Ryan was coming back home, plus the 2 different coaching staffs and his coaching staff at Michigan changed as well.

There are large numbers of kid with just as much ties to Arkansas as Mallett had that never attended the university of Arkansas.

Sometime the UofA does catch breaks

hogfan14

Quote from: Adam Stokes on August 18, 2015, 10:39:18 am
I remember seeing on the ESPN front page that he was transferring and thought "I bet there is going to be some poster starting a thread about this when like all the others we probably have 0 chance." 

Well what do you know, we might actually :)

Does anyone know what his reasoning for transferring is?

From what I read he wants early playing time, but I'm not sure why he went to USC in the first place if that's the case. From the USC people he didn't have a very good spring but I guess that's expected from a freshman.

31to6

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on August 18, 2015, 08:40:27 am
I don't know that to be true. Ty and Ricky are almost identical in recruiting rankings and Ty may be under-rated for being from a small program and committing to Ark early. Rafe and Austin are both 4*s as well.

In my opinion you really are just guessing until a kid learns the system and tries to win the starting job. The NFL is littered with 3* QB's who beat out much higher rated guys for the starting position.

All of our QB's are very talented. Which one will seize the reigns after BA graduates remains to be seen (AA has the advantage of more time in the program, but I think the competition next year will be pretty wide open unless one of them separates dramatically during this season.)

NaturalStateReb

More highly rated QBs > Fewer highly rated QBs.  They need to get him if they can.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

DiamondHogFan

First committed to Bama, flipped to USC, now transferring....

Doesn't sound "Uncommon" to me.

Music City Hog

I'd love to have him, but I don't see how it can't be Florida:

Florida – Doug Nussmeier was the coach that won Town's initial commitment to Alabama before he left for Michigan. Had Nussmeier stayed, Town likely would have never landed at USC. Now Nussmeier is at Florida, a school in desperate need of sound quarterback play in a decidedly pro-style system. One quarterback on campus is an option guy (Treon Harris), the other is unproven (Will Grier). Two Florida commitments in 2017 and 2016 have virtually no combined varsity starting experience. Town to Florida makes all kinds of sense.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on August 18, 2015, 10:58:39 am
First committed to Bama, flipped to USC, now transferring....

Doesn't sound "Uncommon" to me.

Watch this kid throw the ball and you will see what is uncommon about him.

HogFansReunited

I would like to know why he is transferring before I pass judgment.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on August 18, 2015, 11:06:16 am
Watch this kid throw the ball and you will see what is uncommon about him.
I wasn't questioning his talent.

Ty Storey can throw it a little too...and he has been solid Hog for a long time.