Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

John Stephen Jones has committed to the Razorbacks!

Started by DuckTalesLOL, February 04, 2018, 02:40:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: jcharkansas on February 04, 2018, 03:44:13 pm
I see he is listed as a Pro style, I was thinking he was sort of a duel threat guy. Anyone know his 40 time off hand?

I saw clips of his games all season, on the local Sunday night sports telecasts. The highlights were always passing plays. And I saw the State Championship game (that video may be out there, online). His arm was on fire.

He may have some (downfield) running ability, I don't know. What impressed me, especially in the title game, was his pocket awareness and quick footwork, getting to a spot where he could get off a good throw. And his stats proved he had plenty of those.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

PigPusher

Have a client that is a doctor. She tells me that young men eighteen or so can still grow a 1.2 to 1" depending on heredity & diet as two of the important considerations.  Know for a fact that I gained an addition full 1/2" from 18 to 19. But, since very athletic  people in the college football backfield are often successful even though they might be lacking in height. Watching Mr. Jones play confirms he has that talent and quick thinking intelligence. Looks like it is going to be a very interesting 4 years.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

rzrbk4life

Let's call those hogs!!!!

SamBuckhart

Welcome to Mr. Jones. This should be fun. Can't wait. Wooo Pig Sooie!
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

thebignasty

Quote from: plumbhog on February 04, 2018, 06:25:20 pm
So you don't think he's earned a scholarship offer just like everyone else did?
Can't be a slap in the face to not offer the kid and assert he's getting or should/will get the same treatment as every one else.

I don't think we have interest here if he's John Steven Smith. The fan base is setting up another Kane Whitehurst/Vince Ascolese situation with a lightly recruited guy they've taken a shine to.  Maybe he lives up to it. It'd be good for us.
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: thebignasty on February 05, 2018, 09:25:46 am
Can't be a slap in the face to not offer the kid and assert he's getting or should/will get the same treatment as every one else.

I don't think we have interest here if he's John Steven Smith. The fan base is setting up another Kane Whitehurst/Vince Ascolese situation with a lightly recruited guy they've taken a shine to.  Maybe he lives up to it. It'd be good for us.
I agree.  If his name was John Stephen Smith the narrative would be that, oh well, we just beat out Texas Tech, Kansas and SMU for a 3 star QB.  But obviously there are significant ancillary benefits to have this guy on your roster.  So I understand why we was offered a scholarship.

hogfan14

I'll take 61 TDs to 4 INTs against Texas High Schools and just hope the size doesn't bother him too much

Hog Pharm

Quote from: thebignasty on February 05, 2018, 09:25:46 am

Not sure I agree that the only reason he got an offer is because of his name. Coach Morris got to see a lot of him as he played on the same team as his son. Other coaches probably just see a 5'10" QB but haven't watched him closely to see the intangibles that are crucial for a QB.

nonoffensiveposter

WOOPIGDOOIE

Quote from: nonoffensiveposter on February 05, 2018, 12:52:03 pm
He is going to be an electric place kick holder.
And used for trick plays on offense. Put him out wide and throw a WR pass

Hogindasticks

Look at the bright side, we shouldn't run out of qb's this year.

The_Iceman

http://www.hudl.com/v/291nqf

I bet there are 2 QBs on the current roster that won't be on the roster by the end of the 2018 season.

WOOPIGDOOIE

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 05, 2018, 01:38:25 pm

I bet there are 2 QBs on the current roster that won't be on the roster by the end of the 2018 season.
Id almost bet that Ty leaves. And i could kinda see Cole leaving if he doesn't get starting job, but probably not likely

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Hog Pharm on February 05, 2018, 12:47:11 pm
Not sure I agree that the only reason he got an offer is because of his name. Coach Morris got to see a lot of him as he played on the same team as his son. Other coaches probably just see a 5'10" QB but haven't watched him closely to see the intangibles that are crucial for a QB.
Whatever else one might say about his size and lack of vast numbers of big time offers, the one thing aspect that no one should ever question is his grittiness. All one has to do is go back and look at this performance in the Texas state championship game to see that on full display.

Hogindasticks

I watched it again today....He seems to be hard to get down and very very slippery.  I like that he has the ability to jump out and get 15-20 yards when you need it.

The_Iceman

Quote from: WOOPIGDOOIE on February 05, 2018, 01:50:26 pm
Id almost bet that Ty leaves. And i could kinda see Cole leaving if he doesn't get starting job, but probably not likely

Redshirt Freshman Daulton Hyatt may be out as well. He is more of a Pro Style QB from the video I saw. Might not be a fit.

Grizzlyfan

There seems to be 3 different threads going about JSJ.  On one them somebody stated that CCM didn't offer Jones while he was at SMU.  SMU offered after CCM left.  Is that true?  And how you rationalize that?

Peter Porker

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 05, 2018, 02:36:46 pm
Redshirt Freshman Daulton Hyatt may be out as well. He is more of a Pro Style QB from the video I saw. Might not be a fit.

What does this mean? Please elaborate.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

thebignasty

Presumably saw a lot of him and didn't see enough to offer him at SMU....
But they win

thebignasty

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on February 05, 2018, 11:13:09 am
I agree.  If his name was John Stephen Smith the narrative would be that, oh well, we just beat out Texas Tech, Kansas and SMU for a 3 star QB.  But obviously there are significant ancillary benefits to have this guy on your roster.  So I understand why we was offered a scholarship.

I agree with you completely.  It mostly just amuses me after all the pissed off rhetoric about director of high school relations Bobby Allen asserting undue off field influence in getting his kids, both of whom were more highly recruited on the field here.  Surely we wouldn't do that kind of thing for Jerrah, though!

I'm sure hogville will turn on him the first time he gets in a game and throws an incompletion because its what we do, but it doesn't make it less amusing now, either.
But they win

WOOPIGDOOIE

I actually think Daulton could be the starter this year. He is a Pro style, but can run as well. He ran a spread in high school
https://www.hudl.com/video/3/1253550/5721d7f34df6124b70261f5e

Davidr295

All the hate is more anti Cowboys/Jerry than it is about who John is as a player. Very sad to see. The kid won back to back state titles but gets slammed just because of who is grandfather is.

colbs

He's the fastest QB on campus.

B Ray

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on February 04, 2018, 08:16:27 pm
and i saw where oregon state coach resigned and refused the millions in buyout money. Guess Bert shoulda left that 12 million behind, too, by your logic.
I would guess that he got caught doing something wrong and asked to resign without the buyout money, who in their right mind walks away from millions of dollars... unless he is just that much of a nice guy !!!

B Ray

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 05, 2018, 01:38:25 pm

First time watching his videos, reminds me of Johnny Manziel without the sideshow ...

WOOPIGDOOIE

Quote from: B Ray on February 05, 2018, 04:25:36 pm
First time watching his videos, reminds me of Johnny Manziel without the sideshow ...
He reminds me more of a Baker Mayfield. Kid was a swagger about him

B Ray

Quote from: WOOPIGDOOIE on February 05, 2018, 04:28:31 pm
He reminds me more of a Baker Mayfield. Kid was a swagger about him
Either way, he looks good

Hogindasticks

Quote from: colbs on February 05, 2018, 03:34:30 pm
He's the fastest QB on campus.

The walk on that's the pitcher from the Yankees is the fastest...his 40 time is 4.5......this kid's shows 4.6

hawginbigd1

Lots of laughs and sarcasm thrown my way today! One guy said y'all are set at QB now, not everyone is lucky enough to get a 5'9" 175 pound high school legend to commit! NC right around the corner!

Paul

Quote from: thebignasty on February 05, 2018, 03:04:22 pm
Presumably saw a lot of him and didn't see enough to offer him at SMU....
what happened to the blue shirt?  Moving his schollie to next year may have been more palatable but to use up a full schollie this year? Not so much