Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are you sick of Coach Speak?

Started by swinemaster, September 20, 2017, 11:46:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

swinemaster

I know that I am. How refreshing would it be to hear CBB give it to us like this? Listen especially a few minutes in when he talks about his Oline at about the 3:40 minute mark.  Hilarious.

https://youtu.be/oU_qEQLIsXA

PossumFan

Quote from: swinemaster on September 20, 2017, 11:46:04 am
I know that I am. How refreshing would it be to hear CBB give it to us like this? Listen especially a few minutes in when he talks about his Oline at about the 3:40 minute mark.  Hilarious.

What are you talking about? I thought Bielema's trademark was his candor, which is lauded when he wins ("borderline erotic") and criticized when he loses (Hedlund's missed FG was "juvenile.") The media loves him because he's so quotable ("6-foot-7, 260 pounds of love"). Bielema has his faults, but too much coach speak is not among them.

hogsanity

Quote from: swinemaster on September 20, 2017, 11:46:04 am

there is a reason it is called coach speak, all coaches do it. Am I sick of it, yea, but lets not act like BB is the only one that does it.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Boardon Hamsay

Not sick of coach speak at all. I expect it and don't really use it to establish or manage my expectations. It's just a hearing test really. My expectations are established and managed based on more of an eye test. What I hear has no value compared to what I see because eyes tend to be more objective than ears. I get the feeling a chunk of our fans invest far too much in what they hear instead of what they see.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

swinemaster

The point of my OP is that there is one coach who DOESN'T do it.  CBB constantly tells us how great everything is when we obviously see the exact opposite on the field.  My point was wouldn't it be nice to have a coach that tells it like it is.  Here is an example of one.

And it's just funny as hell. 

swinemaster

Quote from: PossumFan on September 20, 2017, 12:49:09 pm
What are you talking about? I thought Bielema's trademark was his candor, which is lauded when he wins ("borderline erotic") and criticized when he loses (Hedlund's missed FG was "juvenile.") The media loves him because he's so quotable ("6-foot-7, 260 pounds of love"). Bielema has his faults, but too much coach speak is not among them.

What are you talking about.  There's a thread going right now about how CBB was quoted that he was OK with the loss to TCU because now the team is "Hungry".  Are you kidding me?  I thought we were determined to "get the taste out of our mouths from the end of last season"

Letsroll1200

Quote from: swinemaster on September 20, 2017, 01:04:27 pm
The point of my OP is that there is one coach who DOESN'T do it.  CBB constantly tells us how great everything is when we obviously see the exact opposite on the field.  My point was wouldn't it be nice to have a coach that tells it like it is.  Here is an example of one.

Saban

GolfnHog

Guess we could do away with any form of press conferences, sound bites, quotes etc... and it would certainly remove all the dissecting of every thing coaches say. Hell, that might be worth it.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

PorkRinds

Quote from: swinemaster on September 20, 2017, 01:04:27 pm

Do you listen to CBB? He doesn't always tell us how great it is.

Steef

There are a limited number of things a coach can say in a press conference.

Some coaches actually can speak and chew gum. This one can. Bobby could.

Some coaches (shiver)...just 'smile'.

phadedhawg

Coachspeak has as much merit as politicianspeak...it's only news if they go off script and they are usually punished when they do.

Wisco Pig

I love coachspeak.  In fact, I have to go now and give 110% to my afternoon assignments.  My clients come to play, so I do whatever I can to help the team (which does not contain an "i").  I take my assignments one day at a time so I can do an uncommonly good job.  I might make a few mistakes, but I have to remember this is a process.

Youngsta71701

I know one thing. He says the same things after every loss. That is what I'm tired of. In order to be able to say some of the things he really wants to say and shoot straight forward he has to establish himself as a top notch coach at the U of A. And he's not there yet. I hate to say this but Petrino had gotten to that point where he could just call it like is and not worry about what the media and the fans said.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

swinemaster

I guess what I'm trying to say is that MAYBE he needs to be a little critical of the product that is being put on the field.  MAYBE our team has a false sense of how good they are.  MAYBE they are under an illusion that they actually are playing as hard as their opponent.  MAYBE they all feel that their positions are secure. 

I gather these opinions from listening to his same sales pitch for the last 5 years.

Did any of you actually listen to Leach in that press conference?  That was after a come form behind win that they were down 21 points.  The man tells it like it is and it's Gosh Darn refreshing.  That's it.

PossumFan

Quote from: swinemaster on September 20, 2017, 01:12:51 pm
What are you talking about.  There's a thread going right now about how CBB was quoted that he was OK with the loss to TCU because now the team is "Hungry".  Are you kidding me?  I thought we were determined to "get the taste out of our mouths from the end of last season"

He did NOT say he was OK with the loss to TCU. He said he would rather lose to a non-conference opponent than an SEC opponent. Big difference. But I can see why you would misquote him because an accurate quote doesn't advance the narrative that Bielema doesn't give a rat's rear as long as his checks don't bounce.

swinemaster

He would "rather lose".  A winner would rather "not lose" to anyone.  And I don't believe Bielema only cares about his checks.  I just don't think he's good enough.  I think his philosophy is completely asinine.  And I was very happy with the hire.  Turns out being successful at Wisconsin is not dependent on Bret Bielema.

PorkRinds

Quote from: swinemaster on September 20, 2017, 01:38:43 pm
I guess what I'm trying to say is that MAYBE he needs to be a little critical of the product that is being put on the field.  MAYBE our team has a false sense of how good they are.  MAYBE they are under an illusion that they actually are playing as hard as their opponent.  MAYBE they all feel that their positions are secure. 

I gather these opinions from listening to his same sales pitch for the last 5 years.

Did any of you actually listen to Leach in that press conference?  That was after a come form behind win that they were down 21 points.  The man tells it like it is and it's Gosh Darn refreshing.  That's it.

We literally have this point being made and simultaneously in another thread someone is saying CBB is too testy and it's not a good look.  You either get Leach or you get coach speak. You can't please everyone.

PorkRinds

Quote from: swinemaster on September 20, 2017, 02:21:04 pm
He would "rather lose".  A winner would rather "not lose" to anyone.  And I don't believe Bielema only cares about his checks.  I just don't think he's good enough.  I think his philosophy is completely asinine.  And I was very happy with the hire.  Turns out being successful at Wisconsin is not dependent on Bret Bielema.

So you think he would rather lose? You take a quote, chop of part of it while still leaving it in quotes, then pretend it's even close to what he said?

jcbville

I'd just like to know who their sound guy is and is he available because you could hear the questions.

Steef

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on September 20, 2017, 01:25:02 pm
I know one thing. He says the same things after every loss.

They all do.

I guess he COULD come out and say, "Well, we got our butts kicked. Good night."

And leave.

ps..... they all say the same things after a win, too.

There is nothing new under the sun.

swinemaster

What he said was very disappointing.  This team, nor this program, shouldn't need another loss at this point to motivate them to succeed.  The problems that he "learned" from this loss should have been known ahead of time by a reasonably intelligent head coach.  For once, can't a Razorback team and it's Coach be prepared for a game and not surprised and educated by the outcome? 

You honestly are OK with being told that all the problems are easily correctable at this point? 

swinemaster

Quote from: Steef on September 20, 2017, 02:31:12 pm
They all do.

And leave.

You obviously didn't watch the video.

PossumFan

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 20, 2017, 02:24:40 pm
So you think he would rather lose? You take a quote, chop of part of it while still leaving it in quotes, then pretend it's even close to what he said?

Exactly. It's like all those posters who were quoting Bielema as saying the Hogs will be the most improved team in the nation this Saturday, when what he really said was they will have to be the most improved team in the nation by the time they play A&M. Even after the misquote was pointed out, people persisted because it made it look like CBB was over-promising again (like he did at halftime of the Belk Bowl). Take a statement, twist it to suit an agenda. That's how at least one segment of Hogville rolls.

DoctorSusscrofa

Coach BB has had a good week of practice with coachspeak and I think that's put him in a position to perform it well this weekend. He's done everything in practice that we've asked him to do coachspeak-wise. But we need to see him do it in a game situation. I think he's ready. He's tired of practicing against our own media and he's looking forward to coach-speaking against somebody else.  If he can stay focused and play like he's practiced, he ought to have a great weekend.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

Steef

Quote from: swinemaster on September 20, 2017, 02:32:32 pm
You obviously didn't watch the video.

No I didn't. Don't really care.

If...the video is out of the ordinary...then your complaint in the OP is untrue. You claim repetition. 'Out of the ordinary' would be NO repetition.

If the video IS repetitive...then my point still stands.

Now, why again do I need to watch the video?

Uberanubis

Quote from: swinemaster on September 20, 2017, 01:12:51 pm

technically we didn't loose like we did last 2 games last year, the defense didn't crumble. offense is struggling, but we got beat by a team wanting it more.

Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 31, 2015, 11:37:05 am
I think it's a common event whether it is in AR or around the world where a group of Hog fans get together.  I've seen it in TN, TX, LA and in Germany.  Being a Razorback is like being in a brotherhood.  When the brotherhood meet, they call the Hogs.

swinemaster

Quote from: Steef on September 20, 2017, 02:48:14 pm
No I didn't. Don't really care.

If...the video is out of the ordinary...then your complaint in the OP is untrue. You claim repetition. 'Out of the ordinary' would be NO repetition.

If the video IS repetitive...then my point still stands.

Now, why again do I need to watch the video?

You don't care but you're posting in a thread.  It's agreed that most coaches do what CBB does.  There are SOME that do not.  The video shows an example of that.  Based on how our team had performed in it's last 4 outings, it seemed to me that we could use a little of this.  I think it would help our feelings as fans and do CBB well.  Instead he tells us the same crap we've been hearing for years.  He either thinks we're stupid or actually believes the stuff he says. 

But since you don't care and you're so smart that you don't even have to watch the video that is the point of the thread, I guess your opinion doesn't matter to me.

BallHog1

Quote from: Steef on September 20, 2017, 02:31:12 pm
They all do.

And leave.

Exactly... and that would be well received here I'm sure.
It doesn't matter what he says right now. The heard mentality here is so strong.

lasthog

I never worry about CS, I just take it One Game at a Time.

Steef

Quote from: swinemaster on September 20, 2017, 03:14:53 pm
You don't care but you're posting in a thread.  It's agreed that most coaches do what CBB does.  There are SOME that do not.  The video shows an example of that.  Based on how our team had performed in it's last 4 outings, it seemed to me that we could use a little of this.  I think it would help our feelings as fans and do CBB well.  Instead he tells us the same crap we've been hearing for years.  He either thinks we're stupid or actually believes the stuff he says. 

But since you don't care and you're so smart that you don't even have to watch the video that is the point of the thread, I guess your opinion doesn't matter to me.

My opinion didnt matter to you BEFORE I posted.

I dont have to be smart to know that head coaches give a LOT of pressers over their careers and since they have to be careful about whose toes theyre stepping on (or should, anyway), some built in 'sameness' has evolved over the years.

While Im sympathetic to your OP pain (I really am. I hate where our program is right now) there are literally decades of 'stepford' presser histories to know he CAN'T  come out and tell us what's really going on.

Look at the uproar he created when he commented on Hedlund. He wasnt wrong, but he was crucified for it.

Why should he stick his neck out?

Besides which, anyone with half a lick of football savvy can watch the TCU game and point out a dozen different things that are wrong. A dozen different players who need to do their jobs better.

None of which he can say. (Picture me shrugging)

gchamblee

Quote from: Steef on September 20, 2017, 05:36:01 pm
My opinion didnt matter to you BEFORE I posted.

I dont have to be smart to know that head coaches give a LOT of pressers over their careers and since they have to be careful about whose toes theyre stepping on (or should, anyway), some built in 'sameness' has evolved over the years.

While Im sympathetic to your OP pain (I really am. I hate where our program is right now) there are literally decades of 'stepford' presser histories to know he CAN'T  come out and tell us what's really going on.

Look at the uproar he created when he commented on Hedlund. He wasnt wrong, but he was crucified for it.

Why should he stick his neck out?

Besides which, anyone with half a lick of football savvy can watch the TCU game and point out a dozen different things that are wrong. A dozen different players who need to do their jobs better.

None of which he can say. (Picture me shrugging)