Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Regime Change

Started by razorbackfaninar, September 18, 2017, 12:33:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarheelhawg

Regime change is worth it if the right coach is hired.  I have been an Arkansas fan for over 40 years and have been blessed to see Holtz, Hatfield , Ford, and Petrino.  Even Nutt was better than....  Arkansas can do better.  I am not afraid of change from the current regime. 

codeHog

Bielema broke his word twice

Said we would not have another Missouri 2nd half against VT...but we did
Said we would work all summer to get better and not repeat our failures....but we did

A&M would be strike 3

ChicoHog

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 18, 2017, 04:15:28 pm
Meh.

I don't think Pro-Style is possible with the athletes that he has available in recruiting. We can't run the ball well enough to hold on to TOP and keep our defense fresh.
I agree.  Rick Neuheisel was saying on the radio today that unless you are a blue blood and recruit at the highest level it helps even the playing field when you have a QB who can run.   When you have a QB who can make yards on the ground it puts so much pressure on the defense to account for the extra "runner" threat.  I am ready for a dual threat QB ala Nick Fitzgerald or kelly Bryant or Lamar Jackson-I realize he is a phenomenal athlete but someone that style.  I do not want to throw the ball 50 times a game and like a balanced offense but I do want a QB who does run 10-15 times or so per game. 

I think Ohio st made a huge mistake trying to turn JT Barrett into a passing QB.  He is a runner so let him do his thing. Tebow was never a great passer either but Urban Liar and Dan Mullen used his running ability to set up some high percentage passes.  Give me an athlete at QB, preferably a big, fast and strong one!

JONAS

Quote from: cmphill87 on September 18, 2017, 04:41:42 pm
This attitude is disgusting as a fellow Razorback fan. I'm also 30, but a third generation alumn. I remember the disappointment my Dad and granddad did with Nutt as the coach which I grew up with. They would always circle back to Hatfield. Then I was spoiled my freshman year 2006 with arguably the best Razorback team in anyone recent memory until Petrino. Of course that year (2006) came with the Malazan debacle. Then the regime change to Bobby Petrino didn't take long (certainly not the 3-4) years to produce solid teams. In 3 years Petrino lead Arkansas to its BCS bowl birth to play in the Sugar Bowl against Ohio State which is arguable the high point Arkansas has reached since at least Hatfield. After Petrino, we hired CBB who had a spectacular record at Wisconsin. Since CBB has been at Arkansas, Wisconsin has not missed him. Gary Anderson went 19-7 there, and Paul Chryst is 21-6 with some help from Alvarez respectively. I seriously question CBBs Wisky record as that came when the BIG was depleted.

The point is, Arkansas has been good (at least a contender) at points especially in the SWC. If you don't aspire to be better, you never will be. Danny Ford for example...very applicable here, lasted 5 seasons at Arkansas for going sub 500. CBB is in year 4, so he is most definitely coaching for his job and if he isn't then something is wrong administratively.

Granted Arkansas isn't great. Never has been. However Arkansas can be good, and a team other schools dread playing. That's my expectation. Not 8 to 10 wins, but a chance to beat Alabama or LSU and get a chance to play schools like Michigan/Texas/Oklahoma in a good bowl then once in a blue moon, be ranked top 5. I don't think that's asking too much. Frank Broyles would have expected nothing less.

I agree.  I think every 4 to 5 years we should at least contend for the West.

bennyl08

Quote from: ChicoHog on September 18, 2017, 09:21:23 pm
I agree.  Rick Neuheisel was saying on the radio today that unless you are a blue blood and recruit at the highest level it helps even the playing field when you have a QB who can run.   When you have a QB who can make yards on the ground it puts so much pressure on the defense to account for the extra "runner" threat.  I am ready for a dual threat QB ala Nick Fitzgerald or kelly Bryant or Lamar Jackson-I realize he is a phenomenal athlete but someone that style.  I do not want to throw the ball 50 times a game and like a balanced offense but I do want a QB who does run 10-15 times or so per game. 

I think Ohio st made a huge mistake trying to turn JT Barrett into a passing QB.  He is a runner so let him do his thing. Tebow was never a great passer either but Urban Liar and Dan Mullen used his running ability to set up some high percentage passes.  Give me an athlete at QB, preferably a big, fast and strong one!

It certainly helps, but if they can't pass for crap, then you are going to be worse off with a running qb than you would have been with a statue.

Problem is, it's hard enough finding a qb who can pass well. We've been very lucky here. LSU would have easily won some more natty's if they had a qb on par with us. If Austin was on Bama's roster, he would have led them to win the natty last year. Heck, if Auburn had Casey Dick level qb play in 2014 instead of Nick Marshall, they might actually have beaten FSU.

Don't get me wrong, if you can get a Cam Newton, RG3, Andrew Luck, Marcus Mariota, etc... then by all means go for it. However, those types of players are hard to come by.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

EastArkHog 47

I started attending games in 1966, for several years I went to games thinking there was a slim chance we could lose, now I go thinking there is a slim chance we could win. To quote Haggard "Are The Good Times Really Over For Good"

GoHogs1091

Quote from: jdlew on September 18, 2017, 02:20:08 pm
Just don't think JL will make a move this year...

The excessive and undeserved buyout, which was a poor business decision by Jeff Long, will ensure that Long can't make a move this season.

Athletic Directoring 101       Do not give an excessive buyout to an undeserving Head Football Coach.

ChicoHog

Quote from: bennyl08 on September 18, 2017, 10:46:24 pm
It certainly helps, but if they can't pass for crap, then you are going to be worse off with a running qb than you would have been with a statue.

Problem is, it's hard enough finding a qb who can pass well. We've been very lucky here. LSU would have easily won some more natty's if they had a qb on par with us. If Austin was on Bama's roster, he would have led them to win the natty last year. Heck, if Auburn had Casey Dick level qb play in 2014 instead of Nick Marshall, they might actually have beaten FSU.

Don't get me wrong, if you can get a Cam Newton, RG3, Andrew Luck, Marcus Mariota, etc... then by all means go for it. However, those types of players are hard to come by.
I'm talking about a guy who can run and is am adequate passer.  Benny, I usually agree with your takes but I think you are way off the mark on Casey Dick and Auburn.  First of all Malzahn has proven his offense is much better with a running QB ala Marshall than with a passing QB.  Marshall IMO was maybe the best zone read QB ever.  He was so quick and made great decisions regarding whether to keep the ball or handoff.  His passing ability was less than average. Usually he threw up jump balls deep and let his receivers make a play.  Or he used the RPO's because his running was such a threat. 

If Danny Etling was any threat as a runner LSU could do the same thing.  They don't respect it so they know he has to hand off. Of course he is a mediocre passer also so that does not help but if the QB has the threat of the run it makes it so much harder for the defense. 

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Granny fan on September 18, 2017, 09:08:54 pm
I'm now 66 years old, and have lived through too many coaches to count.  I'm beginning to seriously doubt I will live to see a conference championship, let alone a NC.  Just makes me sad.
The best statistic that seems to have the highest predictability of W-L record is recruiting class ranking. Arkansas has averaged about 10th in the SEC at least since the beginning of the Nutt era. I assume we did worse than that in the 5 years before Nutt while in the SEC. I know for fact that Bielema's classes have averaged around 10th best in the SEC in his 5 years of recruiting classes. This is the biggest reason why we have been 10-22 in SEC in CBB's first 4 full seasons. And this year's team is arguably no better (I think it is worse overall) than last year's team that went 3-5 in the SEC.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Athog

Quote from: East Clintwood on September 18, 2017, 01:10:33 pm
So we're not worth a damn with CBB for the next 3 years or we're not worth a damn with a new guy for 3 years but the new guy might improve  on that?

Let's take our chances with someone new.  We've seen what we're going to see with CBB.

Bad move!! New guy Here will take longer! We can't keep changing coaches because of a few in the fan base that change every time we win or lose. If this team wins 3 straight you will have another segment wanting to erect a statue.
Small majority always want to hide on the message boards and complain. I bet the majority never attend a game.

MJ2

Quote from: sowmonella on September 18, 2017, 04:16:27 pm
Off the top of my head so I may be wrong but didn't all of those schools have losing records last year? I just checked and they ALL HAD LOSING RECORDS IN 2016.

You're using facts and rational thoughts to damage my lack of evidence- how dare you?

East Clintwood

Quote from: Athog on September 19, 2017, 09:46:11 am
Bad move!! New guy Here will take longer! We can't keep changing coaches because of a few in the fan base that change every time we win or lose. If this team wins 3 straight you will have another segment wanting to erect a statue.
Small majority always want to hide on the message boards and complain. I bet the majority never attend a game.

Will take longer to what?  Be just as bad a Bielema?

What I'm saying is that we've seen CBBs best and things aren't' going to improve.  Let's give somebody else a shot.  They might be better and if they're not then we're no worse off than with what we have now.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

cmphill87

Quote from: AP85 on September 18, 2017, 05:20:44 pm
Did not read.

Good for you! Feel like a big boy? Do you want an high five or something? Take a lap.
-Chrisky