Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Calm Down - Both Sides

Started by WilsonHog, September 17, 2017, 12:55:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

The last week has been tumultuous on Hogville. A segment of our fan base is frustrated and angry, and in response another group is defensive about our head coach and our program.

Neither position gives you license to be a jerk to other Razorback fans. Lanny often uses the word "civil," the definition of which is "to be courteous and polite." If you cannot discuss the Razorbacks while being civil to fellow Razorback fans, you will find your posts moderated. If that doesn't send the message, you will be placed on read-only or banned.

One other thing. Bielema and his coaches are fair game for criticism; his wife is not, nor does she need to even be brought into the discussion. That criticism needs to be substantive; program-related. Have some class. Our players are also not to be bashed. You can say that our quarterback's mechanics are off and explain why; if you go so far as to say he doesn't deserve a scholarship, expect to be banned.

If your response to this is to claim that this violates your right to free speech, educate yourself; that right does not apply on a message board you do not own.

Hoggiedawg

Thanks for this.  I've seen far too many you are an idiot/moron posts.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Hoggiedawg on September 17, 2017, 12:59:21 pm

Amen...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Atlhogfan1

I think almost all of us are frustrated and angry and there is not much to defend.  Just no need to get personal.    Should be the same across all forums.  Back up your comments about the coaching or program without getting personal.   
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

rhames

Bye week was at the worst time lol
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

jkstock04

Quote from: Hoggiedawg on September 17, 2017, 12:59:21 pm
Agreed. This has been going on for a few years though.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

alohawg

Many fans are (fill in the emotion) for the simple fact that here we are only two games into a new season and it feels like we've all been kicked in the gut with little to no hope of anything much better coming. We've been sold a bill of goods, especially after the disastrous ending to last year and it was a bunch if hogwash, apparently.
I still watched games yesterday,  but with such a sad state of the hogs currently, the interest was blah.
I think we all share the same desire generally, a hard nosed gritty bunch of hogs with at least the realistic possibility of winning against any opponent on any field on any given Saturday. Right now they are far short of that and it ain't for a lack of support from fans or monetarily.
It would tickle me cardinal red for CBB to turn this all around starting Saturday and dare I say most would quickly jump back in the support column for the man if he were to do so. We'll see....
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

hoglady

I guess I've missed the negative posts towards Jen Bielema - but obviously there's been some since this is the second time it's been mentioned.
What in the world does she have to do with anything football related??
It's nuts to even bring her name into any of this.
She's got a beautiful new baby and Hogs fans should be supportive and congratulatory toward her - nothing else.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

alohawg

Quote from: hoglady on September 17, 2017, 01:18:22 pm
I guess I've missed the negative posts towards Jen Bielema - but obviously there's been some since this is the second time it's been mentioned.
She's got a beautiful new baby and Hogs fans should be supportive and congratulatory toward her - nothing else.

Same here, guess I missed it, but you're right, wth does she have to do with anything pertinent?
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

Wild Boarnado

Thanks WilsonHog for this post.

----------------------

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 17, 2017, 01:03:18 pm
I think almost all of us are frustrated and angry and there is not much to defend.  Just no need to get personal.    Should be the same across all forums.  Back up your comments about the coaching or program without getting personal.   

Thanks Atlhogfan1 - my thoughts exactly.
"Cry 'SOOIE!,' and let slip the Hogs of War!" ~William ShakeSqueal

When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself. ~Dr. Wayne Dyer

twistitup

I agree

Don't be thin skinned / get nasty when someone is critical of the current situation. It's ok to question things...
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

panhandlepig

Quote from: rhames on September 17, 2017, 01:03:39 pm
Bye week was at the worst time lol

Im not so sure about that.  Im kinda happy we got a break.  I've even talked myself into thinking we will come out next week looking great and beat the Aggies like a rented mule. It could happen.

rhames

Quote from: panhandlepig on September 17, 2017, 01:59:06 pm
  Im not so sure about that.  Im kinda happy we got a break.  I've even talked myself into thinking we will come out next week looking great and beat the Aggies like a rented mule. It could happen.

Well as a fan it came at the worst time. I agree with you.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

PonderinHog

Quote from: panhandlepig on September 17, 2017, 01:59:06 pm
Actually, I'm kinda counting on it!  Go Hogs!

HotlantaHog

I'm all for civility...

That said, I'm not sure there are ``both sides'' in the sense there were around Nutt a few years back or even Petrino's firing.

I'm dubious about CBB but persuadable, and I suspect most people on both sides are. A 10-2 season and a bowl win would change a lot of minds. A 4-8 or 5-7 season would change some minds too.

I don't sense anyone really dislikes CBB personally. Seems like a nice guy. Runs a clean program. Yeah he has made some mistakes off the field, but there is nothing like the feeling of hostility around Nutt or the controversy around Petrino.

thebignasty

Quote from: HotlantaHog on September 17, 2017, 02:06:21 pm
I'm all for civility...

That said, I'm not sure there are ``both sides'' in the sense there were around Nutt a few years back or even Petrino's firing.

I'm dubious about CBB but persuadable, and I suspect most people on both sides are. A 10-2 season and a bowl win would change a lot of minds. A 4-8 or 5-7 season would change some minds too.

I don't sense anyone really dislikes CBB personally. Seems like a nice guy. Runs a clean program. Yeah he has made some mistakes off the field, but there is nothing like the feeling of hostility around Nutt or the controversy around Petrino.

I agree with this.

I like CBB and wish I had faith in what he's capable of accomplishing here.  We aren't Nutt toxic yet.  I hope we don't get there but it feels a little inevitable.

tophawg19

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 17, 2017, 12:55:25 pm
The last week has been tumultuous on Hogville. A segment of our fan base is frustrated and angry, and in response another group is defensive about our head coach and our program.

Neither position gives you license to be a jerk to other Razorback fans. Lanny often uses the word "civil," the definition of which is "to be courteous and polite." If you cannot discuss the Razorbacks while being civil to fellow Razorback fans, you will find your posts moderated. If that doesn't send the message, you will be placed on read-only or banned.

One other thing. Bielema and his coaches are fair game for criticism; his wife is not, nor does she need to even be brought into the discussion. That criticism needs to be substantive; program-related. Have some class. Our players are also not to be bashed. You can say that our quarterback's mechanics are off and explain why; if you go so far as to say he doesn't deserve a scholarship, expect to be banned.

If your response to this is to claim that this violates your right to free speech, educate yourself; that right does not apply on a message board you do not own.

Wilson something needs to be done about the Trolls and guys who just stir the pot. It's easy to find them, They have few if any positive posts and an obvious Agenda . Till they are gone we will always have Slap fights on here
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

tophawg19

it's not as much negative as the '' what I'd like to do to her '' posts if you get the meaning

alohawg

Quote from: tophawg19 on September 17, 2017, 02:30:31 pm
it's not as much negative as the '' what I'd like to do to her '' posts if you get the meaning

That's worse then.
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

Gonzo

Quote from: tophawg19 on September 17, 2017, 02:23:47 pm
Wilson something needs to be done about the Trolls and guys who just stir the pot. It's easy to find them, They have few if any positive posts and an obvious Agenda . Till they are gone we will always have Slap fights on here

If only it were just one "side" stirring the pot. There's so much eye poking going on around here from all directions I'm amazed any can still see a keyboard to type. I guarantee you this time next week, no matter what happens in JerryWorld, there will be plenty of "See?! We were right!" strutting going on here, even though one more game is not going to prove or change anything more than what we've already seen.

That being said, I agree with WH that it would be nice for things to tone down, and I've undoubtedly had my moments I'm sure.  I really don't consider anyone here a bandwagon fan, bandwagon fans wouldn't still be here, especially as antagonistic as it gets. Folks are here, arguing to the death, because they care about the Hogs and want to see the best out of them. We don't always have the same ideas about how to achieve that, but I will try to do my part to disagree in a civil manner.

Go Hogs!

Athog

+ 1

tophawg19

HotlantaHog

Those folks should be banned. It's unacceptable.

panhandlepig

hogginbama

Quote from: thebignasty on September 17, 2017, 02:09:41 pm
I agree with this.

I like CBB and wish I had faith in what he's capable of accomplishing here.  We aren't Nutt toxic yet.  I hope we don't get there but it feels a little inevitable.

And the fault of that would be squarely in the folks who call themselves upstanding fans. When you can't have a discussion about something with name calling or attacking the topic of the conversation with personal digs then you show you lack everday social skills.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Inhogswetrust

September 17, 2017, 02:47:57 pm #25 Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 06:12:33 pm by Inhogswetrust
Great post Wilson! That being said it's getting more difficult to stay calm with people constantly attacking and downgrading my Alma Mater for any and all reasons. Some of which are not even related to the success or not of the football team!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HawgWild

If CBB was .500 in Wins most of this wouldn't be happening. That's not a very high bar.

Marshfieldhog

I remember when Nutt was here there seemed to be a pretty vocal amount supporting him still. However, I'm not seeing very many behind CBB. I've seen more support Long than CBB, which I think is odd to say the least.

HognotinMemphis

Our QB's mechanics do seem off. He hasn't seemed the same QB for an entire game since Auburn game last year. I guess a 56-3 beatdown can do that to a QB. Fans want to blame his performances on young receivers since AA is a 5th year senior but I think it's much more than that. I think it is mostly AA. He waits too long to throw for one thing. And when he does throw, his passes are off target most of the time. Certainly were last week.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

hoglady

Well, I certainly see no reason to be that disrespectful to the Head Hog's wife.
I realize most is in jest (locker room talk) - only this isn't a locker room.
If people would just not say anything they wouldn't want said about their own wife all would be good.
I figure we aren't seeing it because it's getting deleted by the mods.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Pigsknuckles

Gotta calm down. I'm all outta knees.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

HotlantaHog

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on September 17, 2017, 02:55:46 pm
I remember when Nutt was here there seemed to be a pretty vocal amount supporting him still. However, I'm not seeing very many behind CBB. I've seen more support Long than CBB, which I think is odd to say the least.
Long's hiring of CBB is easier to defend that CBB's recent record...

twistitup

Quote from: HotlantaHog on September 20, 2017, 11:28:52 am
Long's hiring of CBB is easier to defend that CBB's recent record...

I agree
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

tolerati

"Show me a quarterback who isn't cocky, and I'll show you a quarterback who isn't worth a damn." - Darrell Royal

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

rmcchris

Thank you and much needed.  I often wonder why we don't create a thread to dump all the negative posts under one heading (let them rain down all the negative comments) and all the posts that talk football, rationale discussions, positive input and yes opportunities in another heading.

sickboy

Unfortunately, when people get mad they take the low road. Same thing with Bielema's weight. Has nothing to do with the issue, it's just a way for people to throw punches.

hoghearted

Quote from: rmcchris on September 20, 2017, 11:56:13 am
Thank you and much needed.  I often wonder why we don't create a thread to dump all the negative posts under one heading (let them rain down all the negative comments) and all the posts that talk football, rationale discussions, positive input and yes opportunities in another heading.

So only 'positive' outlooks are worth discussing?

I realize some posters have taken it to vitriolic levels, but fans are entitled to discuss what they see as shortcomings.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

hogblitz

I agree with your statements.  However, it is very hypocritical.  Do you remember the HDN days?  Do you remember all of the people that were bashed?  Players were regularly bashed.  Every coach was bashed.    Diana NUTT, Teresa Pruitt, Donna Bragg, Mitch's mom, ETC.  I could go on and on.   Hogville had to have been licking its chops during that time.  The site traffic was at a all time high and made hogville very popular and land a bunch of business.  Hogville would not be where it's at today without that saga.  Now, you want to change the rules and censor everything. 

hogsanity

Quote from: hogblitz on September 20, 2017, 12:46:54 pm
I agree with your statements.  However, it is very hypocritical.  Do you remember the HDN days?  Do you remember all of the people that were bashed?  Players were regularly bashed.  Every coach was bashed.    Diana NUTT, Teresa Pruitt, Donna Bragg, Mitch's mom, ETC.  I could go on and on.   Hogville had to have been licking its chops during that time.  The site traffic was at a all time high and made hogville very popular and land a bunch of business.  Hogville would not be where it's at today without that saga.  Now, you want to change the rules and censor everything. 

Not wanting to censor anything. Just asking to keep the criticism on the field. Not the wife, not the players effort. Not the coaches weight. And not calling other posters names. IT really should not be that hard to do.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GolfnHog

Quote from: hogblitz on September 20, 2017, 12:46:54 pm

I'll just say that current day frustrations  have a completely different set of dynamics than those of the Nutt firestorm so I'm not sure how it can be labeled "hypocritical". However, you see the issues differently and I'll respect that.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

RazorPiggie

Wilson, I have suggested this numerous times but I'm not sure a MOD has ever looked at it. But is it possible to have a post count in place before a poster is able to create a thread? We see far to many come on here and start thread after thread about the same things. Just trying to help yall out.

hogfanincajunland

QuoteI'll just say that current day frustrations  have a completely different set of dynamics than those of the Nutt firestorm so I'm not sure how it can be labeled "hypocritical". However, you see the issues differently and I'll respect that.

But should it matter what the dynamics of any situation is? If you're going to demand civility and leaving certain elements such as wives, players, etc. out of the convo, shouldn't that always apply? This should be the case, in any situation, regardless of which side the mods/administrators happen to agree with. If you allow it in one instance and not the other then, yes, it is absolutely hypocritical. However, the HDN thing was years ago and I do understand that people's ideals tend to change.

BrianG

Ummm...I doubt there would be a problem if the HC had kept up his end of the bargain....

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Gonzo on September 17, 2017, 02:39:13 pm
If only it were just one "side" stirring the pot. There's so much eye poking going on around here from all directions I'm amazed any can still see a keyboard to type. I guarantee you this time next week, no matter what happens in JerryWorld, there will be plenty of "See?! We were right!" strutting going on here, even though one more game is not going to prove or change anything more than what we've already seen.

That being said, I agree with WH that it would be nice for things to tone down, and I've undoubtedly had my moments I'm sure.  I really don't consider anyone here a bandwagon fan, bandwagon fans wouldn't still be here, especially as antagonistic as it gets. Folks are here, arguing to the death, because they care about the Hogs and want to see the best out of them. We don't always have the same ideas about how to achieve that, but I will try to do my part to disagree in a civil manner.

Go Hogs!

Anyone pretending to have an angle on this team is full of crap. We're still in the info-gathering mode after last week's stunning fecal drop. It is not as easy to interpret as, say, losing to Louisiana-Monroe was. If the team has no pulse this weekend, no argument will be necessary. If the team comes to life, everybody will argue over whether the TCU loss should have happened.
[CENSORED]!

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on September 17, 2017, 02:55:46 pm

If you think about it, Long having more support than Bret with some on here really isn't that odd. They have already taken the temperature and trying to set up the scenario where when the ship begins it's descent to the bottom....you will see the captain trying to row out in his life dinghy....

PRJ

LZH

Good job, Biggus. We usually save our best material to jab one another, but someone needed to say this out loud. Coaches and administration are completely fair game. The football players or the coaches kids or the coaches wives are off-limits,. Yes you can criticize a player's performance without being nasty. Many of us do it every day, but we don't throw the kid on the railroad tracks. But there shouldn't be anything said about a coach's family, especially if it is just in poor taste. I don't remember a single word mentioned about Becky Petrino after all that b******* that Bobby pulled.

B**** about the coaches, b**** about the referees, b**** about the fans, but leave the kids and wives out of it. For some of you who have just joined in the last few years, this kind of b******* was never tolerated in the past.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: LZH on September 20, 2017, 08:05:18 pm
Good job, Biggus. We usually save our best material to jab one another, but someone needed to say this out loud. Coaches and administration are completely fair game. The football players or the coaches kids or the coaches wives are off-limits,. Yes you can criticize a player's performance without being nasty. Many of us do it every day, but we don't throw the kid on the railroad tracks. But there shouldn't be anything said about a coach's family, especially if it is just in poor taste. I don't remember a single word mentioned about Becky Petrino after all that b******* that Bobby pulled.

B**** about the coaches, b**** about the referees, b**** about the fans, but leave the kids and wives out of it. For some of you who have just joined in the last few years, this kind of b******* was never tolerated in the past.

Yes....well except for Teresa Prewitt....

PRJ

LZH

Uberanubis

im just sick of everyday a handful of people have to interject their obvious disdain for not winning, or winning they way the THINK we  should or same with losing the way we should. the negativity is almost depressing. call me crazy other then the offense not being able to produce, i didn't think the TCU loss was that bad. but what do i know i don't claim to be some self proclaimed expert.
Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 31, 2015, 11:37:05 am
I think it's a common event whether it is in AR or around the world where a group of Hog fans get together.  I've seen it in TN, TX, LA and in Germany.  Being a Razorback is like being in a brotherhood.  When the brotherhood meet, they call the Hogs.