Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What is an NFL quality control coach?

Started by bennyl08, February 11, 2017, 09:07:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bennyl08

http://www.milehighreport.com/2011/3/11/2043379/the-role-of-an-nfl-quality-control-coach-denver-broncos-football-scouting

Here is a great read on what they do. A small excerpt below.

QuoteQuality-control coaches also learn N.F.L. systems from the long hours spent watching film. In no time they absorb the ins and outs of the chess match known as football and the ingenious distinctions between wins and losses. They also pickup how Pro teams organize their practices and their off-season, weight training and conditioning programs. Having access to the scouting, all the video, the personnel departments and the front office, the Quality Control Coach might be the best on the job training for anyone aspiring to become an NFL Head Coach.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Hoggish1

bennyl08

Quote from: Hoggish1 on February 11, 2017, 09:36:23 pm
Sounds like somebody filled a piece for a deadline...

If that's the sort of piece they do for a deadline, their full fledged articles must win pulitzers. If you click the link, it's a very well written and thorough article.

Now, if you want to poke fun of it, clearly the proper way to have gone about it would be to say it must have been written in the offseason. That would then explain the otherwise "mundane" albeit very informative and something a lot of people don't much about topic combined with plenty of time to put it together because there was nothing else to do.

*After writing that, I was curious and it was written March 11, 2011. Week after FA happened, 10 days after combine finished, over a month til the draft, and a subject on a staff member who is very important this time of year.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

PorkCheops

Pretty certain that at least one current Super Bowl-winning coach in the NFL went straight from being an offensive quality control guy directly to head coach: Sean Payton.
"The problem is not only to win souls but to save minds. If you win the whole world and lose the mind of the world, you will soon discover that you have not won the world. Indeed it may turn out that you have actually lost the world."  Charles Malik

PorkCheops

Nevermind re. Payton. Just looked it up and can't find that on his resume. Could have sworn it was the case, though.
"The problem is not only to win souls but to save minds. If you win the whole world and lose the mind of the world, you will soon discover that you have not won the world. Indeed it may turn out that you have actually lost the world."  Charles Malik

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkCheops on February 11, 2017, 10:56:32 pm
Nevermind re. Payton. Just looked it up and can't find that on his resume. Could have sworn it was the case, though.

Jon Harbaugh comes pretty close. He was never a coordinator in the NFL. Spent 9 years as a special teams coach, then his last year there, he was promoted to defensive backs coach before becoming the HC the next season for the Ravens where he has been nothing short of a great.

Well, technically, he was a coordinator, specifically, the special teams coordinator. However, he was promoted from that to DBs coach to help him get a HC job eventually (i.e. the next season).

italian9005

soooo.... we got 2 film readers not coaches

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: italian9005 on February 12, 2017, 07:20:01 am

Smh

Here's a few NFL "film readers" that became "coaches"....Jon Gruden, Todd Haley, Eric Mangini, Steve Spagnuolo, Brad Childress, Tony Sparano....just to name a few.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

hawgdavis

Some people on here would not be happy Dom Capers because or Monte Kiffin because of their lack of experience in the collage game or lack of recruiting experience.

I don't know if the new coaches will be good or not but I have a feeling they will bring energy and will bring a hunger for success because they want to continue to advance their careers unlike the ones that were let go who I think had already hit their ceiling and didn't seem to have the fire any longer.

JMO

ricepig

So?? Our last 3 NFL guys were assistant coaches, not sure how this applies, except to link an article describing what a quality control coach is. We have the same one our staff, Saban has about 50 of them.

colbs

No actually they were assistants not quality control coaches.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: hawgdavis on February 12, 2017, 07:59:18 am
Some people on here would not be happy Dom Capers because or Monte Kiffin because of their lack of experience in the collage game or lack of recruiting experience.

I don't know if the new coaches will be good or not but I have a feeling they will bring energy and will bring a hunger for success because they want to continue to advance their careers unlike the ones that were let go who I think had already hit their ceiling and didn't seem to have the fire any longer.

JMO

Monte can't stop the spread. If he could Lane would still be at USC

TheEnemy

Well there is two routes usually to coaching in the NFL....Quality Control Coach or Success at the college level.

You got to get a start somewhere.

And they have very different roles.  Some work more with developing younger players, some handle gameplans, and some handle more of the admin and behind the scenes work.

lakecityhog

I have a fairly simple question for the board:

How many of you would be happier if we had somehow persuaded the LB coach from Oklahoma or LSU and the DL coach from Nebraska or Georgia to come to Arkansas instead of the 2 guys we got?
WHY?

bennyl08

Quote from: ricepig on February 12, 2017, 08:07:26 am
So?? Our last 3 NFL guys were assistant coaches, not sure how this applies, except to link an article describing what a quality control coach is. We have the same one our staff, Saban has about 50 of them.

John Scott and the LB coach I know have both been quality control coaches in the NFL. Scott was assistant DL coach last season but was QC the year before. Don't remember if the LB coach ever was at Atlanta, but he definitely was while with Saban at Miami. Many people don't know what that entailed so this thread is here to at least being water to the pastures of hogville. Whether somebody drinks is up to them.

bennyl08

Quote from: colbs on February 12, 2017, 08:56:07 am
No actually they were assistants not quality control coaches.

This past season is the only time your statement is correct. DL coach was a QC the year before and LB was while at Miami.

bennyl08

No. Both have many years experience coaching in college. One was a defensive coordinator even. Further, a QC coach often will coach the scout team in the NFL and our last three coaches hired spent the last season as on the field coaches.

bennyl08

Also, for some insight to an assist and position coach in the NFL, if you check out coaching staffs, you will frequently see teams that may only have an assistant LB coach. You may see something like DC, DL coach, asst DL, LB, asst DB.  Maybe the DC also does DBs, but that is not uncommon to see only an assistant position coach sans a full time one.

tophawg19

with the falcons he worked 1 year with LB's and  1 with DB's . To be able to break down video , you have to know every position and what they do .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Mike_e

Looks to me as though we are all in on the Trey Flowers approach to team building since we can't seem to load up on high school super stars. 

-don't give me he should already have had it built, college ball is rebuilt every year just ask ole Nick-

Find and recruit guys with a little room left to grow into the size and speed you need, with good motors, and then teach them the very best in technique.

As to whether or not these guys are "Home Run" hires come on.  You don't win wars with lieutenants that's what generals are for. 
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

bennyl08

Quote from: Mike_e on February 12, 2017, 12:41:08 pm
Looks to me as though we are all in on the Trey Flowers approach to team building since we can't seem to load up on high school super stars. 

2013, 2014, 2016, and 2017 classes say otherwise. 2015 was lacking the super star factor. Maybe that's the only recruiting class you saw.

Quote-don't give me he should already have had it built, college ball is rebuilt every year just ask ole Nick-

Have no idea what you are saying here.

QuoteFind and recruit guys with a little room left to grow into the size and speed you need, with good motors, and then teach them the very best in technique.

That would be a terrible recruiting strategy.

QuoteAs to whether or not these guys are "Home Run" hires come on.  You don't win wars with lieutenants that's what generals are for.

As to whether or not these guys are "lizard people", come on. You don't win wars with lizard people.

Sure, haven't seen anybody claiming these are lizard people, though come to think of it, zero people claiming they are lizard people is still greater than or equal to the number of people claiming these are "home run" hires. So, while we were playing the game of who these hires are or are not, figured I would add just as much value.

Mike_e

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 12, 2017, 12:53:05 pm
2013, 2014, 2016, and 2017 classes say otherwise. 2015 was lacking the super star factor. Maybe that's the only recruiting class you saw.

Have no idea what you are saying here.

As to whether or not these guys are "lizard people", come on. You don't win wars with lizard people.

Sure, haven't seen anybody claiming these are lizard people, though come to think of it, zero people claiming they are lizard people is still greater than or equal to the number of people claiming these are "home run" hires. So, while we were playing the game of who these hires are or are not, figured I would add just as much value.

Coffee get cold on you?  LOL

OK, maybe I got defensive too early.  Just hold the post for another page or three. 

Edit:  Or maybe I posted in the wrong thread.  40 straight days of 12 hour shifts are not good for me.

and MY coffee is cold  I'm going back to bed.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: lakecityhog on February 12, 2017, 12:08:09 pm
I have a fairly simple question for the board:

How many of you would be happier if we had somehow persuaded the LB coach from Oklahoma or LSU and the DL coach from Nebraska or Georgia to come to Arkansas instead of the 2 guys we got?
WHY?

I would. The college game is different than the pro team with the read option and ability to block before the ball is thrown is certain situations and tempo is much faster. Great Defensive minds like Monte Kiffin and Nick Saban have struggled adjusting to these differencing.

In additon recruiting at the P5 college game takes connections, experience and want too that may not come with 2 guys who have only done it full time at the P5 level 2 years combined.

Can they recruit? We will find out. Walker has been with Stoops and Saban they know how to get it done in recruiting. Scott has GA connections and TT is harder to recruit than Arkansas. So maybe his minimal success there is irrelevent.

lakecityhog

I have absolutely nothing against either of these guys and hope that both are the very best coaches that we could ever get. I just hate that a guy like Segrest was given so much hell for simply doing his job the way his boss wanted it done and we turn around and hire another guy with eerily similar credentials. And, just like Segrest some of these same folks proclaim him to be a great hire.

Why don't we wait and see how he does his job and even more importantly, how his boss instructs him to do his job before we make any judgment's.

PorkRinds

Quote from: lakecityhog on February 12, 2017, 07:04:39 pm
I have absolutely nothing against either of these guys and hope that both are the very best coaches that we could ever get. I just hate that a guy like Segrest was given so much hell for simply doing his job the way his boss wanted it done and we turn around and hire another guy with eerily similar credentials. And, just like Segrest some of these same folks proclaim him to be a great hire.

Why don't we wait and see how he does his job and even more importantly, how his boss instructs him to do his job before we make any judgment's.

He is experienced in the 3-4 and Rory isn't. It's not personal, they need something different.

swineology

Quote from: lakecityhog on February 12, 2017, 07:04:39 pm

These 2 new hires will have two years to help the defense get better. If they don't, they'll be coaching carnage along with Coach B. At least Coach B sees the problem and trying to rectify it, unlike CMA.

hawgdavis

lakecityhog

Rory losing his job had absolutely zero to do with the 3-4 and you know it. To think that ANY football coach that managed to make his way to the NFL doesn't have some knowledge of just about ANY defense is being just a bit unrealistic.
Segrest was collateral damage from the Smith fallout plain and simple.

presidenthog

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 12, 2017, 01:08:57 am
Jon Harbaugh comes pretty close. He was never a coordinator in the NFL. Spent 9 years as a special teams coach, then his last year there, he was promoted to defensive backs coach before becoming the HC the next season for the Ravens where he has been nothing short of a great.

Well, technically, he was a coordinator, specifically, the special teams coordinator. However, he was promoted from that to DBs coach to help him get a HC job eventually (i.e. the next season).

Jon and belechick are 2 coaches that when you look into thier past have very little actual playing football.

Jim got to the pros. Jon played I believe lower level college. Bill has almost nothing of the sort, yet is considered by now probably a goat or one in consideration.

Pork Twain

Hogville, the only place people will bitch at literally any and every possibility
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

oldhog63

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 12, 2017, 12:53:05 pm
. . .
Quote from: Mike_e on February 12, 2017, 01:18:01 pm
OK, maybe I got defensive too early.  Just hold the post for another page or three. 

Mike_e, I agree with your original observation. I don't think we will pull in top 10,  top 5 classes any time soon, if ever, so maybe taking the time to develop a certain type of player and hiring coaches who develop and teach is the route to success for us. I guess we will find out.

Unfortunately, you have to be careful what you say or how you word your posts as the all knowing football experts on MMQB will do their best to cut you down and rip your ideas to shreds instead of having a civil discussion.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

What we got with Rhoads' elevation to DC and with the hiring of Walker and Scott are three people who know the 3-4. Who can say about recruiting, but one thing we know for sure is that CBB is all in on his new defense.  I like that. Decide to do something then do it. No fooling around. We will see results with regards to recruiting in February 2018. But we will see results with regard to how well the 3-4 works for us in the Fall, with the players we already have. We can't get much worse than last year. I suspect we'll be a lot better. Better enough for 9 wins or more? We'll see.

EFBAB

Piggfoot

Both of our new coaches are familiar with South east and South west. For this reason I am very pleased and hope they can bring their players to Arkansas. They both have a well rounded and comprehensive background.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Biggus Piggus

A quality control coach waits as the players pass by one by one. He hits the player on the head with a mallet. If he doesn't explode, the QC coach writes "DUD" on the player and sends him on.
[CENSORED]!

ballz2thewall

Quote from: lakecityhog on February 12, 2017, 08:58:19 pm
Rory losing his job had absolutely zero to do with the 3-4 and you know it. To think that ANY football coach that managed to make his way to the NFL doesn't have some knowledge of just about ANY defense is being just a bit unrealistic.

i agree. from one to the other; it's not from gravitational theory to sculpting. and i agree about your comments about rory as well.

i'm sure you're more confident, now:)
The rest of the frog.

PorkSoda

Quote from: lakecityhog on February 12, 2017, 08:58:19 pm
maybe so, but I get the feeling the defensive failure was less about scheme and more about chemistry.  some people just don't fit personality wise.  If they couldn't connect with players on a level that allowed them to teach, then it just wasn't a good fit.

We had/have more than enough talent to be mediocre
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.