Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

State of the Hogs: With 3-4 pieces coming together

Started by hogfansince79, February 09, 2017, 11:28:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfansince79

I missed this article the other day (siap)...

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/feb/06/state-hogs/

MOUNTAIN HOME — Just before his time at the microphone at the Baxter County Razorback Club, Bret Bielema had a chance to explain a little more about his defensive personnel and the transition to the 3-4 scheme.

Why the 3-4? Why now?

"We just fit better," Bielema said in a one-on-one interview. "A lot of our guys fit. We have the stand-up end types and we have players who can be play off the edge a little better in the 3-4 than the 4-3."

So who would that be?

For starters, it would fit junior college transfer Michael Taylor, ineligible last year but on the practice field with the Hogs from the middle of August forward.

"He's that stand-up end type," Bielema said. "He was 240 pounds when he got here and he's 270 now. He's sudden - an off-the-edge guy who can get around blockers with his speed. He's a mid-level guy, a lot like what you see at the schools in the (SEC) West that we are playing against at Alabama, Auburn and LSU in that 3-4.

"What I saw in the fall told me that he'd be perfect in the 3-4. He played those guys we were going against at that spot on our scout team and he looked great. He was emulating those guys pretty well. Like I said, he's 270. We might temper (the weight) a little, but he's still very fast at that weight. He looks like the ideal player for that spot."

Bielema said the defensive scheme is being put together by new coordinator Paul Rhoads. Some of the terminology is in place. The hybrid linebacker/defensive end that Taylor along with Karl Roesler and Randy Ramsey seem to fit at is being called the Hog. The other outside linebacker will be the Razor.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou