Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why doesn't the LRSD produce Hog football recruits anymore?

Started by redleg, February 07, 2017, 03:17:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

redleg

I find this to be a very interesting, and frankly, very sad question. The Little Rock School District, in many past Razorback signing classes, was a pipeline of talent for the Hogs. But as of today, the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville has not signed one single football player from a LRSD high school since the 2005 class, when Central High produced Kevin Thornton and Antwain Robinson! That is twelve signing classes! That is sad and pathetic! The states largest school district cannot seem to produce a single player worthy of an offer?! Really?! Maybe there has been one and he just signed with another school? Charles Clay maybe? But even then, it has been a decade!
What is the deal?
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

ricepig

No D-I quality football players there, and we have discussed this every year since 2005.

wildturkey8

Quote from: ricepig on February 07, 2017, 03:19:59 pm
No D-I quality football players there, and we have discussed this every year since 2005.
More like broken school system.  The Athletes are there but not playing football.

BigD94

Seen this question come up several times. I think a lot of the better athletes are strictly playing basketball, not as many multi sport players anymore.
WOO PIG!

ricepig

Quote from: wildturkey8 on February 07, 2017, 03:21:28 pm
More like broken school system.  The Athletes are there but not playing football.

Are they, or have they transferred out to Robinson, and others?

DeltaBoy

Their set up is anti football,  No solid Jr High Football and they destroyed the feeder schools that used to keep Central on top in Football and Parkview in Basketball .
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

redleg

Quote from: ricepig on February 07, 2017, 03:19:59 pm
Well we can discuss it one more time.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

hawkhawg

If they are good enough for the hogs someone is going to get them in a private school.

TheGunther

Pulaski County has three school districts:

North Little Rock - 1 high school
Little Rock - 5 high schools
Pulaski County Special School District - 5 high schools (Jacksonville created its own district)

One might wonder if the best thing the state could do is to split the mega-district into separate districts, especially in the case of the PCSSD, where you have incorporated cities such has Maumelle and Sherwood.

I believe what these schools and their students need is leadership and support from within their community. I don't believe they get that from these large school districts.  That is why many have moved/transferred to Little Rock's bedroom communities.

However, it appears that the state would much prefer to allow the schools to go into distress, shutdown and offer charter school alternatives - most likely new construction built in affluent neighborhoods.
everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, no one wanna lift no heavy ass weight!

immahog

Talent is in Little Rock the athletic program has failed them the streets of Little Rock and the school system sucks
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

Piggfoot

Quote from: redleg on February 07, 2017, 03:17:25 pm
I find this to be a very interesting, and frankly, very sad question. The Little Rock School District, in many past Razorback signing classes, was a pipeline of talent for the Hogs. But as of today, the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville has not signed one single football player from a LRSD high school since the 2005 class, when Central High produced Kevin Thornton and Antwain Robinson! That is twelve signing classes! That is sad and pathetic! The states largest school district cannot seem to produce a single player worthy of an offer?! Really?! Maybe there has been one and he just signed with another school? Charles Clay maybe? But even then, it has been a decade!
What is the deal?
:razorback:
How old are you? Where do you live? And, how long have you lived there?
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

elksnort

Quote from: wildturkey8 on February 07, 2017, 03:21:28 pm
THIS. I will guaran damn tee you that the athletes are there, on the street, somewhere. They need to get the kids out for football. Maybe it takes money to build facilities or whatever.

oldfart

The same question can be asked about the eastern part of the state... few have come from that region in recent years.  I remember not that long back when all three linebackers were from stuttgart.....

sickboy

Quote from: TheGunther on February 07, 2017, 04:00:44 pm

However, it appears that the state would much prefer to allow the schools to go into distress, shutdown and offer charter school alternatives - most likely new construction built in affluent neighborhoods.

This is what happens in Los Angeles. The public school system is eroding and Charter Schools are popping up everywhere. It's a little different out here, because Private School tuition is around 35-40K per year starting in Kindergarten, so middle class families out here can't afford to send their kids to private. This has ushered in the rise of Charters and lottery systems. It gets pretty crazy out here. People start interviewing/donating with schools when their kids are about 3 years old in hopes to buy a leg up when their kids start kindergarten.

Letsroll1200

HogFries

Hugo Bezdek

Anyone who can gets out, whether to the bedroom communities, private schools, Robinson or NLR. Really the high schools would probably benefit from some consolidation. LRSD with 25,000 students has five high schools. Compare that to Springdale which has roughly 20,000 students and two high schools. Hall, Parkview, McClellan and Fair are all half the size of Central or less and there's already talk of consolidating McClellan and Fair into a proposed new Southwest HS. They should probably look at something similar for Hall and Parkview. I know at one point there was talk of making Hall a STEM school since Forest Heights STEM only goes through 8th Grade.

oldfart

It is certainly a germane question even though yes, it is beating a dead horse.  The lack of athletes not only from LR area but eastern part of the state has limited the number of quality in-state athletes who not only are D1 athletically but are also academically eligible ( a big factor in some areas) certainly handicaps the Razorbacks

HognitiveDissonance

The public schools have declined athletically, but a lot of the good athletes have found homes in LR Christian, Pulaski Academy, or the bedroom communities Cabot, Conway, Bryant, Benton, Robinson. NLR still has a good public school program.

Central has really gone to pot. JA Fair---I remember them winning the state title in 1998 when Cedric Cobbs was there, and it's gone all to Hades. It's pitiful and sad. I saw a Parkview/JA Fair game last fall and I counted 28 kids dressed out for Fair. Parkview stunk but still beat them like a drum.

LZH

About four or five years ago there was a really good six page write-up in the ADG, I think Tom Murphy wrote it. Detailed the entire mess. And that is exactly what it is, a mess. One that didn't have to happen.

Razorback_Mack

I interned at a high school in the LRSD. If you wanna know what's wrong I suggest you offer to volunteer in some way. You'll realize about 5 minutes into in that being a football pipeline for the u of a is the least of their worries. Furthermore, I'm one of the most pro athletic people you'll ever meet.

Hugo Bezdek

Here are a few numbers for you:

From 1998-2007 Arkansas signed 28 kids from Central Arkansas (LR/NLR/Conway/Bryant/Cabot/Jacksonville)
From 2008-2017 19 kids from the same area signed with Arkansas and 7 more signed with Alabama, Auburn, Mizzou, Cal, Illinois and Ohio State.

From LRSD, Arkansas went from 13 to 0 in those same periods, but one did sign with Illinois last year.
Mills went from 5 to 0, Robinson increased from 1 to 4, with one going to Mizzou.
NLR increased from 2 to 5 but two went to Bama and OSU.

Little Rock private schools increased from 3 to 11 signees (2 went to Auburn, 1 to Cal).

The_Bionic_Pig

The athletes are their....they just don't play football and if their good they transfer to NLR
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Razorback_Mack

Threads like this are a joke honestly. Y'all are just analyzing other people's problems. Well.....this is why. No...no...this is why. 99% of you haven't sat foot in one of these schools. You're just worried about how many football players were signing from there.

If you're that worried about it, volunteer in some way. Take a closer look. Actually go take a look at what you're talking about. Otherwise, stay in the suburbs and drive your tahoes and sthu. Reminds of the comments section on fb. Nothing but a cesspool.

ricepig

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on February 07, 2017, 06:49:31 pm
Threads like this are a joke honestly. Y'all are just analyzing other people's problems. Well.....this is why. No...no...this is why. 99% of you haven't sat foot in one of these schools. You're just worried about how many football players were signing from there.

If you're that worried about it, volunteer in some way. Take a closer look. Actually go take a look at what you're talking about. Otherwise, stay in the suburbs and drive your tahoes and sthu. Reminds of the comments section on fb. Nothing but a cesspool.

Get us some more croots.....we need more croots from LRSD!

Razorback_Mack

Sweet Feet

School system is busted. Tons of athletes walking the schools but the coaching system at all 5 schools minus McClellan all suck. The best athletes in this state reside in Central Arkansas unquestionably, but the system is so busted and corrupt, its hard to find any football players there. Not to mention the lack of discipline in these schools. All 5 high schools are zoos.  LRSD is also more basketball oriented now. All the Little Rock football talent is going to PA, Bryant, Benton, NLR, and other nearby non-LRSD schools.

LZH

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on February 07, 2017, 06:49:31 pm

Spare us your holier-than-thou social commentary. This is a [CENSORED] football message board, and the thread is about football players.

rtr

This thread is no joke.  It is real and the young people of Central Arkansas deserve better than to ignore the problem.  Good schools=good football.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: LZH on February 07, 2017, 09:09:54 pm
Spare us your holier-than-thou social commentary. This is a [CENSORED] football message board, and the thread is about football players.
If you think the LRSD not producing football players is just about football players you're a fool. And I don't throw effort after foolishness.

LZH

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on February 07, 2017, 09:18:02 pm
If you think the LRSD not producing football players is just about football players you're a fool. And I don't throw effort after foolishness.

I am quite aware of what the problem is, I have been watching it happen for 30 years. And I didn't even have to volunteer to figure it out.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: rtr on February 07, 2017, 09:17:01 pm
This thread is no joke.  It is real and the young people of Central Arkansas deserve better than to ignore the problem.  Good schools=good football.
Good schools do equal good football for the MOST PART. There are exceptions to that, see pine bluff. However, posting on a message board is just as good as ignoring the problem. It means nothing. People just want to be "right." It's the exact same thing on Facebook. No boots on the ground. No real world solutions. You can start 1 million threads and it won't matter. Show up, make a difference....that'll matter.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: LZH on February 07, 2017, 09:24:11 pm
I am quite aware of what the problem is, I have been watching it happen for 30 years. And I didn't even have to volunteer to figure it out.
You sound like a real winner. "Watching"

root_hawg

Razorback_Mack

It's all good. This is a message board. If you wanna argue about who the backup qb is...who cares go ahead. Same thing for the 4 mil a year coach.

But don't get a false sense of involvement when you post about real issues. Don't be that naive. If you want to make a difference or if you care, show up and take a look around. I promise, if you do, your self validated message board agendas about real issues will cease to exist.

LZH

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on February 07, 2017, 09:24:26 pm
Good schools do equal good football for the MOST PART. There are exceptions to that, see pine bluff. However, posting on a message board is just as good as ignoring the problem. It means nothing. People just want to be "right." It's the exact same thing on Facebook. No boots on the ground. No real world solutions. You can start 1 million threads and it won't matter. Show up, make a difference....that'll matter.

Aren't you the guy that kept posting "do better" over and over?

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: LZH on February 07, 2017, 09:40:30 pm
Aren't you the guy that kept posting "do better" over and over?
I have no idea what you're talking about. I do remember your profile from when you pm'ed saying you'd beat my a** and you weren't *** with me. Or some childish nonsense. It told me all I needed to know about your character. People like you are a joke to me. I don't even know why I'm replying to you. I'll screen shot your pm to show everybody how stupid you are. Your a little punk.

RME

Well the decent enough debate potential that this thread had is completely down the shitter now

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 07, 2017, 09:48:17 pm
Well the decent enough debate potential that this thread had is completely down the shitter now
I'm so sorry I ruined your expresso conversation with your barista. Your life is so much more worse because of it.

RME

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on February 07, 2017, 09:50:41 pm
I'm so sorry I ruined your expresso conversation with your barista. Your life is so much more worse because of it.

Didn't even mention you by name, but you assumingly took offense. Well done.

Not sure what an expresso conversation is...is that coffee-talk for a quick (express) conversation? I know an espresso is a drink but...not too familiar with expresso. Do you drink those over the Specific Ocean?

As for talking football, Hugo brought up some good stuff. Consolidation (say Hall and Parkview) could definitely help, but what else would be needed rather than just combining the rosters of those two schools into one team? I'm asking because I legitimately don't know. I know very little about the inner workings of public schools.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 07, 2017, 09:54:48 pm
Didn't even mention you by name, but you assumingly took offense. Well done.

Not sure what an expresso conversation is...is that coffee-talk for a quick (express) conversation? I know an espresso is a drink but...not too familiar with expresso.
Come on mallett, I'm the main one with a different opinion. It's pretty safe to assume you were including me. And I don't care.

Debate it all you want. But is that what you find entertaining? Debating why a school district is failing to do something? It's called armchair quarterbacking. A bunch of grown men that want to complain, whine, and moan without doing a dang thing about it.

RME

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on February 07, 2017, 10:01:11 pm
Come on mallett, I'm the main one with an different opinion. It's pretty safe to assume you were including me. And I don't care.

Debate it all you want. But is that what you find entertaining? Debating why a school district is failing to do something? It's called armchair quarterbacking. A bunch of grown men that want to complain, whine, and moan without doing a dang thing about it.

Me no thinky you understand da function of message board.

So, tell us all what you find entertaining so we may cater to you.

Do you really proactively do something for everything you bitch about?

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 07, 2017, 10:02:13 pm
Me no thinky you understand da function of message board.

Do you really proactively do something for everything you bitch about?
Me no thinky you understand manhood. Nutt up and quit bitching. If you do bitch, Nutt up and do something about it.

LZH

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on February 07, 2017, 09:46:03 pm
I have no idea what you're talking about. I do remember your profile from when you pm'ed saying you'd beat my a** and you weren't *** with me. Or some childish nonsense. It told me all I needed to know about your character. People like you are a joke to me. I don't even know why I'm replying to you. I'll screen shot your pm to show everybody how stupid you are. Your a little punk.

Don't remember that, but knock yourself out. Yeah I have a temper and it's fellas like you that love to spit out the pseudo-liberal horseshit that gets on my nerves.

I don't know what "volunteering" has to do with this thread but I will leave the rhetoric to you, since you obviously have been waiting to enlighten us all. But if you want to make a difference, it's the lawyers and the politicos that need to be dressed down - this community action crap is nothing but hollow talk. Typical.

RME

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on February 07, 2017, 10:04:35 pm
Me no thinky you understand manhood. Nutt up and quit bitching. If you do bitch, Nutt up and do something about it.

Very insightful, informative, well-reasoned answer. Your suggestions are duly noted.

Razorback_Mack

February 07, 2017, 10:19:43 pm #45 Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 10:33:30 pm by Razorback_Mack
Quote from: LZH on February 07, 2017, 10:07:51 pm
Don't remember that, but knock yourself out. Yeah I have a temper and it's fellas like you that love to spit out the pseudo-liberal horseshit that gets on my nerves.

I don't know what "volunteering" has to do with this thread but I will leave the rhetoric to you, since you obviously have been waiting to enlighten us all. But if you want to make a difference, it's the lawyers and the politicos that need to be dressed down - this community action crap is nothing but hollow talk. Typical.
Liberal? Me? Hahahaha! I've had my laugh for the night!

I don't want to enlighten you man.

"Volunteering" was to make a point. People are whiners. I've been a whiner in my younger years. If you don't show up or cash up, you don't care. People are worried about football recruits when many kids in the LRSD don't even have a home. Don't have enough food to eat. I said KIDS. If your priority is football recruits you have one of two problems. You have no idea what's going on and you need to show up and see for yourself. That's the volunteering aspect. Or you're just somebody that wants to whine without any merit. Blame lawyers, blame politicians, but see where that gets you. It won't get you anywhere.

LZH

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on February 07, 2017, 10:19:43 pm
Liberal? Me? Hahahaha! I've had my laugh for the night!

I don't want to enlighten you man.

"Volunteering" was to make a point. People are whiners. I've been a whiner in my younger years. If you don't show up or cash up, you don't care. People are worried about football recruits when many kids in the LRSD don't even have a home. Don't have enough food to eat. I said KIDS. If you're priority is football recruits you have one of two problems. You have no idea what's going on and you need to show up and see for yourself. That's the volunteering aspect. Or you're just somebody that wants to whine without any merit. Blame lawyers, blame politicians, but see where that gets you. It won't get you anywhere.

Well if you're talking about the kids, that isn't exclusive to Little Rock ya know. Same problem exists here in Florida...places like Miami, Ft Lauderdale, Orlando, and here in Tampa Bay. But the inner-city schools in these communities are not hamstrung by lawsuits, etc. And they put a pretty high priority on athletics. Some damn fine stadiums and gymnasiums (and schools in general) in rough areas down here.

There are a lot of very good athletes in Little Rock that are walking the halls, or walking the streets, that care nothing about getting home after 8 o'clock from football practice because it is considered extra-curricular and therefore doesn't start until four o'clock.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: LZH on February 07, 2017, 10:42:45 pm
Well if you're talking about the kids, that isn't exclusive to Little Rock ya know. Same problem exists here in Florida...places like Miami, Ft Lauderdale, Orlando, and here in Tampa Bay. But the inner-city schools in these communities are not hamstrung by lawsuits, etc. And they put a pretty high priority on athletics. Some damn fine stadiums and gymnasiums (and schools in general) in rough areas down here.

There are a lot of very good athletes in Little Rock that are walking the halls, or walking the streets, that care nothing about getting home after 8 o'clock from football practice because it is considered extra-curricular and therefore doesn't start until four o'clock.
And Florida has much more money than Arkansas. Check that for me even though I know it's not remotely close.

go hogues

It would never happen but I do think if someone could privately finance his salary through a non profit, Houston Nutt could have a vision and enthusiasm for how to turn the tides of LRSD football.

Again, his ego would never allow it and no one would finance it but I do think it would take something like that to change things. Like him or not, I think his connection to LR and rah rah mantra could light a fire.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS