Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HOGFANONTHEHILL, Can you please chime in...

Started by menace_hawg3, February 01, 2017, 10:25:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

menace_hawg3

How do you see CBB completing his staff? Do you see him going after an OLB coach and letting CPR coach the entire secondary? Or do you see him hiring a new D-LINE coach who will also coach OLBs? I'm not asking for names or anything, I'm just wondering if you could shed some light on how he plans on splitting up coaching responsibilities. Sorry if not totally clear. Had a long day.

menace_hawg3

FANONTHEHILL

February 02, 2017, 09:34:16 am #2 Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 10:06:54 am by FANONTHEHILL
My opinion means very little and Coach Bielema has a history of shocking everyone with his quality hires.  I doubt this off season will be any different

The first thing to determine is how many positions are open and what are those positions.  Looking at the video of Callaway's commitment, you see the entire offensive staff.  Enos, Anderson, Smith, Mitchell, & Lunney.  On the other side of the ball, Rhoads and Hargreaves. Of course we know Smith is in Minnesota,
so that leaves Segrest and the DL position in question.  Let me say this about Segrest.  He has caught a ton of negativity on these boards.  I agree the defensive line was not what we were expecting during the season.  But if you watched the Shrine Bowl, you saw what Deatrich and Jeremiah were capable of doing.  The skill and techniques, as well as the "pin your ears back and go" they displayed is what they have been taught by Coach Segrest.  I've seen it in practice.  In my opinion, the problem with the 2016 defense was:
A) Linebackers asked to do things against receivers in the open field that they should never be expected to do and as a result being out of position to defend the middle against a scramble. 
B) D-line being told to contain the middle and not pressure or defend the edge.
C) Secondary put in a bad situation because pass rush became "contain".
So if he secondary has their man, go back to the underneath receiver mentioned in a with a LB covering.
A leads to B, B to C, C to A.

It's circular reasoning and it is flawed. In Arkansas football terms, it gets you an opportunity to leave and land in Minnesota.  There is a hierarchy and chain of command of each side of the ball and change is sometimes a necessity.

There is a lot I can't get in to, but l'll just say that things are going to be a lot better.  If Segrest stayed or not, the defense will be better.

As far as the staff additions and where they will be, I certainly hope that Coach Rhoads stays with the corners.  He is excellent. The DL and LBs could be split strong and weak side with a coach for each or you could see an inside backer coach and an outside backer coach.  All I know for certain is that communication between players and coaches, as well as coach interactions will be improved.  A big part of defense is each position coach has "his guys".
They want to play for their coach and have pride in their group.  Last year Segrest (DL), Hargreaves (LB), Rhoads (DBs), had their guys.  The coordinator did not.  That showed.
It also wouldn't surprise me for coach to go after an all star type recruiter and  give the special teams coordinator title.

Sorry for the sermon, but it's been a tough time since the bowl game. I've seen so many posts about how incompotent the coaches, the AD, and the players are in the last month.  I wish many on this board could have been in the Hilton lobby in Charlotte that night.  Talked to Deatrich, J'Michael, Dan, Drew, Keon and and many underclassmen as well, and seen how depressed they were and how they knew they had let people down.  Seen or talked to Coach B, Coach Anderson, and Jeff Long.  They were disappointed, saddened, but mostly pissed off.  I hope people understand the kids and adults in the program are doing everything they can to be better every day.  Arkansas brought a great group into the family yesterday.  They have become part of something bigger than they could ever imagine.  I'm excited for their future and as an Alum, Fan, Booster, and player parent, I have the utmost confidence that Coach Bielema will put a staff together that will allow all the players in the program to reach a level that will make everyone involved with the program proud.

It's 211 days until Florida A&M at War Memorial and they are getting ready every day.

Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

younghog

GO HOGS

Little Lady Back

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on February 02, 2017, 09:34:16 am
My opinion means very little and Coach Bielema has a history of shocking everyone with his quality hires.  I doubt this off season will be any different

The first thing to determine is how many positions are open and what are those positions.  Looking at the video of Callaway's commitment, you see the entire offensive staff.  Enos, Anderson, Smith, Mitchell, & Lunney.  On the other side of the ball, Rhoads and Hargreaves. Of course we know Smith is in Minnesota,
so that leaves Segrest and the DL position in question.  Let me say this about Segrest.  He has caught a ton of negativity on these boards.  I agree the defensive line was not what we were expecting during the season.  But if you watched the Shrine Bowl, you saw what Deatrich and Jeremiah were capable of
doing.  The skill and techniques, as well as the "pin your ears back and go" they displayed is what they have been taught by Coach Segrest.  I've seen it in practice.  In my opinion, the problem with the 2016 defense was:
A) Linebackers asked to do things against receivers in the open field that they should never be expected to do and as a result being out of position to defend the middle against a scramble. 
So if he secondary has their man, go back to the underneath receiver mentioned in a with a LB covering.

It's circular reasoning and it is flawed. In Arkansas football terms, it gets you an opportunity to leave and land in Minnesota.  There is a hierarchy and chain of command of each side of the ball and change is sometimes a necessity.

There is a lot I can't get in to, but l'll just say that things are going to be a lot better.  If Segrest stayed or not, the defense will be better.

As far as the staff additions and where they will be, I certainly hope that Coach Rhoads stays with the corners.  He is excellent. The DL and LBs could be split strong and weak side with a coach for each or you could see an inside backer coach and an outside backer coach.  All I know for certain is that communication between players and coaches, as well as coach interactions will be improved.  A big part of defense is each position coach has "his guys".
They want to play for their coach and have pride in their group.  Last year Segrest (DL), Hargreaves (LB), Rhoads (DBs), had their guys.  The coordinator did not.  That showed. 

Sorry for the sermon, but it's been a tough time since the bowl game. I've seen so many posts about how incompotent the coaches, the AD, and the players are in the last month.  I wish many on this board could have been in the Hilton lobby in Charlotte that night.  Talked to Deatrich, J'Michael, Dan, Drew, Keon and and many underclassmen as well, and seen how depressed they were and how they knew they had let people down.  Seen or talked to Coach B, Coach Anderson, and Jeff Long.  They were disappointed, saddened, but mostly pissed off.  I hope people understand the kids and adults in the program are doing everything they can to be better every day.  Arkansas brought a great group into the family yesterday.  They have become part of something bigger than they could ever imagine.  I'm excited for their future and as an Alum, Fan, Booster, and player parent, I have the utmost confidence that Coach Bielema will put a staff together that will allow all the players in the program to reach a level that will make everyone involved with the program proud.

It's 211 days until Florida A&M at War Memorial and they are getting ready every day.

Good post and thank you for your insight, FANONTHEHILL.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

Hook 'em Hogs

Sorry for the sermon, but it's been a tough time since the bowl game. I've seen so many posts about how incompotent the coaches, the AD, and the players are in the last month.  I wish many on this board could have been in the Hilton lobby in Charlotte that night.  Talked to Deatrich, J'Michael, Dan, Drew, Keon and and many underclassmen as well, and seen how depressed they were and how they knew they had let people down.  Seen or talked to Coach B, Coach Anderson, and Jeff Long.  They were disappointed, saddened, but mostly pissed off.  I hope people understand the kids and adults in the program are doing everything they can to be better every day. 

Thanks for this.  I count myself a big time hog fan, but I'm a fan of human beings first.  They should be disappointed and angry---and they are!  I trust that they'll do everything within their power to fix this.  We can get behind these guys!

jackflash

I think some it depends on if he moves Hargraves to DB coach , I think he for sure hire a DL coach

The Hawg Marshal

Thanks to HOGFANONTHEHILL for the insight. We all want the same thing(our beloved Razorbacks to be a successful team) but some don't always take into consideration the personal side of things. I understand it's become big business and I promise you nobody wants to win more than I do, but we have temper our expectations with the reality of the situation. I'm proud of all of our players and generally like all of our coaches. I'm going to trust that CBB doesn't like the way our season ended either and that he will do his best to fix it. I for one hope he is successful with whatever coaches he hires or fires.

hawginbigd1

:

Thank God there is other people who understand this on this board, so tiring hearing the non-stop bashing of the DL and the talent level, when the problem is what they are being asked to do is the reason we don't get a pass rush. The LB deficiencies are the reason they have been asked to play like they do instead of being able to get after the QB.

MuskogeeHogFan

so that leaves Segrest and the DL position in question.  Let me say this about Segrest.  He has caught a ton of negativity on these boards.  I agree the defensive line was not what we were expecting during the season.  But if you watched the Shrine Bowl, you saw what Deatrich and Jeremiah were capable of doing.  The skill and techniques, as well as the "pin your ears back and go" they displayed is what they have been taught by Coach Segrest.  I've seen it in practice.  In my opinion, the problem with the 2016 defense was:

It also wouldn't surprise me for coach to go after Ann all star type recruiter and  give the special teams coordinator title.

Great post and I agree on Segrest, who came here with a reputation of being a coach who favored a "pressure style" of front four play. He didn't forget how to coach that philosophy during his tenure at Arkansas. As an assistant you have to go with what your Coordinator says to go with. That's just how it is, whether it is right or wrong. I would however, strongly favor investing in a very skilled special teams coach. ST's can and often do change games.
Go Hogs Go!

a0ashle

It also wouldn't surprise me for coach to go after an all star type recruiter and  give the special teams coordinator title.

+1 insight and perspective, something we can all use.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 02, 2017, 10:07:19 am
Thank God there is other people who understand this on this board, so tiring hearing the non-stop bashing of the DL and the talent level, when the problem is what they are being asked to do is the reason we don't get a pass rush. The LB deficiencies are the reason they have been asked to play like they do instead of being able to get after the QB.
I hate for the kids on the team.  Especially seniors. Ellis caught a lot of grief all year on the boards.   He's a 4-3 Mike or ILB in a 3-4.  He could likely play at the next level in his true position which is inside the tackle box stuffing the run.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 02, 2017, 10:09:37 am
Great post and I agree on Segrest, who came here with a reputation of being a coach who favored a "pressure style" of front four play. He didn't forget how to coach that philosophy during his tenure at Arkansas. As an assistant you have to go with what your Coordinator says to go with. That's just how it is, whether it is right or wrong. I would however, strongly favor investing in a very skilled special teams coach. ST's can and often do change games.
Agree 100% on ST Coach.  Was actually adding that to original post when you posted.  A great recruiter at ST coach would be a big asset.

tophawg19

fan can you give us a typical workout day for your son during off season ?
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on February 02, 2017, 10:14:32 am
Agree 100% on ST Coach.  Was actually adding that to original post when you posted.  A great recruiter at ST coach would be a big asset.

Oh, let's limit that ST's coach to ST's and just assisting in other areas.

Instead let's add a former, successful, well known, well respected and well liked Texas HS Coach as another Recruiting Coordinator/Director of Player Development (whatever the title) to do nothing but network and build trusted relationships with HS coaching staffs across the state of Texas 12 months each year. No on field responsibilities, his entire focus would be Texas HS's. I think this might pay immediate dividends to the Hogs in Texas recruiting.
Go Hogs Go!

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 02, 2017, 10:22:57 am

Instead let's add a former, successful, well known, well respected and well liked Texas HS Coach as another Recruiting Coordinator/Director of Player Development (whatever the title) to do nothing but network and build trusted relationships with HS coaching staffs across the state of Texas 12 months each year. No on field responsibilities, his entire focus would be Texas HS's. I think this might pay immediate dividends to the Hogs in Texas recruiting.
Agreed. Any Texas tie that has a foot in the door with Texas HS coaches would be huge.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 02, 2017, 10:09:37 am

No kidding. Have one player miss something or get a dumb penalty on defense or offense depending on where the ball goes and it might not cost the team the game or at least momentum BUT let it happen on special teams and it can easily do so.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogsfan31

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 02, 2017, 10:22:57 am

I can get behind this 100%

RedyorNot

Awesome post FOTH, thanks for sharing the insight as always.

menace_hawg3

Man, I really appreciate your insight. I asked you, because I know that you could help dispel the darkness on a lot of things. Every one is entitled to their opinion, but some of this stuff is just absurd.

Here is another one, so we can finally put it to rest. Who's defense were we running over the last two years? Some people have heard that CBB micromaged our defense so much that Robb Smith couldn't run it the way he wanted to. Is this true?

Another good one is this. How much input did Paul Rhodes have on the defensive schemes and gameplans?

jm

I just hope they go away from the strong side/ weak side assignments. It takes too long to get people in the right position. The offense either snaps the ball before everyone is set or the offense just motions into the formation that gets the matchups they wanted to begin with.

tophawg19

the recruiter/ST guy likely is hired upon approval of the 10th coach. Franks is Our recruiting Coordinator , I would like to see him out in the field more . He seems to be well liked by recruits . CBB can help with defense through out the spring as can grad assistants . So we can actually move coaches around to get the best position hire . Possibly a coach to take OLB/DE and one for Inside LB's and NG . A lot of possibilities with the 3-4

jgphillips3

Thanks Fanonthehill.  Your words about Segrest are why I have been unsure about whether he was the problem or he was a soldier under command doing what he was told.  If we could replace him with Partridge, who is both a great recruiter and a very good line coach (or someone else that is unquestionably better), then I'm good with replacing him.  If he stays then I'll assume what I believed is correct and he was doing with his group what he was told to do but is capable of turning it loose under Rhoads.  I too hope Rhoads keeps CB.  I'm certainly interested to see what happens between now and the 20th (when CBB said the staff would be complete).

hobhog

Post of the early year. It so easy to criticize people/players/situations when outside the picture. I appreciate the fresh view.

I'm ready and excited for 2017.

Kevin

imo, the most important thing going forward is cbb going back to his five edges. not letting players slide. to go along with everything from last year, we were undisciplined.

get the discipline back
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hawg Life

Quote from: tophawg19 on February 02, 2017, 10:59:41 am
the recruiter/ST guy likely is hired upon approval of the 10th coach. Franks is Our recruiting Coordinator , I would like to see him out in the field more . He seems to be well liked by recruits . CBB can help with defense through out the spring as can grad assistants . So we can actually move coaches around to get the best position hire . Possibly a coach to take OLB/DE and one for Inside LB's and NG . A lot of possibilities with the 3-4

Jeff Traylor just got let go @ Texas. He'd be the one for special teams coach, in my opinion. You can always hire the 10th assistant to an administrative position until April when the 10th coach will be approved by The SEC.

ricepig

Quote from: Kevin on February 02, 2017, 12:28:19 pm
imo, the most important thing going forward is cbb going back to his five edges. not letting players slide. to go along with everything from last year, we were undisciplined.

get the discipline back

That in itself will probably clean up the 85 number by summer.

Tejano Jawg

Thank you. A reminder doesn't hurt, and adds a little perspective to those of us not attached deeper to the program than buying tickets.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

code red

Quote from: menace_hawg3 on February 01, 2017, 10:25:01 pm
How do you see CBB completing his staff? Do you see him going after an OLB coach and letting CPR coach the entire secondary? Or do you see him hiring a new D-LINE coach who will also coach OLBs? I'm not asking for names or anything, I'm just wondering if you could shed some light on how he plans on splitting up coaching responsibilities. Sorry if not totally clear. Had a long day.
CPR is a good idea. Resuscitation of our entire defense is a must.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

FANONTHEHILL

February 02, 2017, 12:59:41 pm #29 Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 02:41:04 am by FANONTHEHILL
Quote from: tophawg19 on February 02, 2017, 10:19:54 am
fan can you give us a typical workout day for your son during off season ?
NCAA limits the amount of contact, hours and days that coaches can have with players.  My son is taking 15 hours this semester. 4 classes MWF, one Ti/Thur.
Workouts that were at 6am last year are now at 3pm, M, Tu, & Thur. Workout Friday is at 6am.  They have Hoganese or position study in conjunction with most workouts for about an hour.  So on a typical Monday my son will grab breakfast, go to class until lunch, go back to class until 2pm.  Workout at 3.  Workout is a combination of weights, core work, agility work, etc. After that it's into a cool tub. After cool tub it's Oline class. After Oline class
it's study hall.  Day ends around 9pm.  Tuesday and Thursday there is only one class so it is more study and treatment with training staff if needed. Then the same schedule of workout, Oline class, etc. until 9pm.  Wednesday it's class, study hall, treatment, and maybe a little down time. Friday it's leave at 5am for 6am workout, class, treatment, study, and make sure all assignments due that week are complete. Saturday he goes to the indoor and works independently or with teammates on feet and hand drills and gets additional treatment from training staff if needed.  Saturday nights, he try's to be a normal college student and enjoy his friends and girlfriend.  Sunday is about the same as  Saturday.  This is a typical spring semester schedule for him.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on February 02, 2017, 12:59:41 pm
NCAA limits the amount of contact, hours and days that coaches can have with players.  My son is taking 15 hours this semester. 4 classes MWF, one Ti/Thur.
Workouts that were at 6am last year are now at 3pm, M, Tu, & Thur. Workout Friday is at 6am.  They have Hoganese or position study for an hour in conjunction with most workouts for about an hour.  So on a typical Monday my son will grab breakfast, go to class until lunch, go back to class until 2pm.  Workout at 3.  Workout is a combination of weights, core work, agility work, etc. After that it's into a cool tub. After cool tub it's Oline class. After Oline class
it's study hall.  Day ends around 9pm.  Tuesday and Thursday there is only one class so it more study and treatment with training staff if needed. Then the same schedule of workout, Oline class, etc. until 9pm.  Wednesday it's class, study hall, treatment, and maybe a little down time. Friday it's leave at 5am for 6am workout, class, treatment, study, and make sure all assignments due that week are complete. SatUrdays he goes to the indoor and works independently or with teammates in feet and hand drills and gets additional treatment from training staff if needed.  Saturday nights, he try's to be a normal college student and enjoy his friends and girlfriend.  Sunday is about the same as  Saturday.  This is a typical spring semester schedule for him.

Thank you for that post. The average fan has NO clue how much time is spent by athletes for both classes and sports. I know some former Hogs and it was bad back then but today it is unbelievably even more time!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

tophawg19

thanks .can you tell us how much gain in strength , speed etc from day 1 as a freshmen to now ?. i think that would give everyone an idea why it's so tough for a freshmen to play on o-line . Also what are the goals by fall . Thank you for sharing this

FANONTHEHILL

February 02, 2017, 02:54:36 pm #32 Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 04:18:49 pm by FANONTHEHILL
Quote from: tophawg19 on February 02, 2017, 01:35:33 pm
thanks .can you tell us how much gain in strength , speed etc from day 1 as a freshmen to now ?. i think that would give everyone an idea why it's so tough for a freshmen to play on o-line . Also what are the goals by fall . Thank you for sharing this
As a walk on, my son is a unique case.  He was injured in the fall of 2014 in the 7A State Quarterfinals against Colton Jackson's Conway team.  He was the LT for Fayetteville.  He injured his ankle and was non weight bearing for 3 months.  He lost his smaller school offers due to his injury, but had a Chancellor's Scholarship and was given the chance to walk on at Arkansas. 

So here is the info on size and strength.  His is and was small for an offensive lineman.  After his injury he dropped a ton of weight.  His first measurements at Arkansas were 6"1 1/2" and 254.  That was end of summer 2015.  He is currently 6'3", 277.  His weight, like everyone else's on the team will fluctuate 15-20 lbs between fall camp and the end of the season.  The guys that are listed at 320 at the end of camp, weigh 300 by season's end.  The building mass lifts and diet don't add or maintain weight during the season. 

Gauging strength is had to do with specifics.  They don't do single lift maxes like we used to.  The amount of weight that he can move is drastically changed.  Upper body strength was always an issue in high school.  A max of 300 was a dream for him in high school.  Yesterday he did his sets with 305 on the bar.  They do a lot of dumbbell bench presses as well.  They build core by having to stabilize the dumbbells.  He does those with a 105 in each hand now. 

Legs have made similar strides.  Squats with resistance bands and chains, single leg squats, explosion drills have all changed the shape of his lower body.

They also work on a prowler sled.  They use the lower cross bar on the sled (about 8" off the ground) and get in a push up type position. For the oline, they put 500lbs on it and push it in 10 or 20 yard intervals for 100 yards.  It's impressive to see that much weight being moved by someone almost parallel to the ground.

The agility stuff is basic footwork and quickness drills that haven't changed that much.

The oline also does hand strength drills.  Pinching and holding 45 lb plates with a thumb and your finger tips and holding in one minute increments.  A 6' block that your have to palm for a minute with a 45 hanging below it on a chain.  They also have sand tub.  Water and sand mixture that you knife your hands into, make a fist in the stiff sand and repeat overt and over.  If you haven't ever seen a big person just about drop to their knees from a cramp across their palm, you need a wet sand pit.  It will make you laugh. 

Coach Herbert is huge on core strength.  Lots of work on flexing with resistance and  maintaining proper posture while working muscle groups. 

My son is currently floating between 275-280.  Coach Herbert and Kiero Small say that they will put another 20 lbs on him this off season.  My son says those are realistic expectations.  He will be a redshirt sophomore this fall.  He needs 300 to see the field on the Oline and he is willing to put in the work.  He hopes to see some time this fall on the oline, but will primarily  be a contributor on special teams.  He and Coach B have already had their pre-spring meeting and talked about that being part of the plan for this upcoming year. 

I hope that these newcomers, especially the olineman, are as excited to be here as we are to have them here. It's a big advantage for them to be able to start in the spring.  Ideally, a redshirt year would not only benefit them, but also the program.  Only time will tell.  These Wagner, Clennin, Adcock, and Clary are a great group of incoming olineman to build the future on. 

Lastly, you asked about body changes.  Here is a picture of my son from November of 2014 to the spring of 2016.  This is after one cycle of Herbert's off season program.  The FHS picture was at 250.  The Hog spring ball picture was about 265.  He's 10-15 lbs heavier now with a lower body fat %.  If I get a similar photo this spring, I'll post it.

tophawg19

thanks . that info you posted should be stickied for all fans to read .he is going to be a MANSTER  by the time he graduates . i would love to see a prowler sled in action. I think you just made clear , why we say it's tough for freshmen and even 2nd year players to break into the starting rotation on O_Line

JRHoward

Thank You FOTH!  It is great to read about the work these guys are putting in.  I wish your son the very best.  Woo Pig!   :razorback:
Woooo Pig!

Andrew Hogfan

WPS!!!

Hogfan46

ifghog

Thanks FOTH!! Hope your son gets some PT by his Senior year! This info in invaluable!

Hogberry Snortcake

Sed76

Thanks for the insight, it's nice to get a glimpse behind the curtain.

Pudgepork

GolfnHog

i know it's a pipe dream but having threads like this sure makes coming on HV so much more informative and enjoyable. Not to mention the great insight to the human interest side of the program. A sincere thank you FOTH.

My gosh,the difference in the your sons physical makeup  in 2 short seasons in a testament to what good nutrition and the work he's put forth can produce. Very impressive!
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

jgphillips3

February 02, 2017, 07:59:58 pm #42 Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 12:56:02 am by jgphillips3
By the way Fanonthehill, I nominate you to recruit the next Razorback parent insider to post on this board after your son graduates. 😁

Hogeration

I respectfully disagree about Segrest.  I'm not saying that he didn't teach any skills.  But the guys in the senior bowls may have been coached up during those practices.  If Segrest was able to teach it all, then he was deficient in his delivery to the guys.  If Smith caused the problem, Segrest should have known his reputation was on the line and gotten his point across to Smith or Beilema.  He has not gotten done. 

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: Hogeration on February 02, 2017, 08:23:23 pm
I respectfully disagree about Segrest.  I'm not saying that he didn't teach any skills.  But the guys in the senior bowls may have been coached up during those practices.  If Segrest was able to teach it all, then he was deficient in his delivery to the guys.  If Smith caused the problem, Segrest should have known his reputation was on the line and gotten his point across to Smith or Beilema.  He has not gotten done. 
From what I've seen at practice, the pad level, hand placement, and footwork Segrest coached to the guys on the line was exactly what Deatrich and Jeremiah showed at the Shrine Game. One of the things about being a coach at this level is unless you're a HC or coordinator, your wagon is hitched to whom ever is on the rung of the ladder above you.  You don't go behind your superior.  You try to get the job done within the parameters set by the coordinator.  If you don't follow those rules, whatever job you have will likely be your last. When the scheme went from pinch and pressure to engage and hold a gap and look, the defense began to fail.  That's not the style that Segrest had success with at previous stops.  If Deatrich hadn't broken his hand and immediately followed that by separating his shoulder, things would likely been different for the team last season and for the staff this spring.

Sivad

SamBuckhart

BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Hogeration on February 02, 2017, 08:23:23 pm
Delve a little deeper into FOTH's posts in this thread. We are very fortunate to have him posting here. I'm not saying Segrest is totally without blame but we now have some insight that it's possible that he has been doing a good job but things out of his control were making his unit look bad. PM me and we can go a little deeper into this if you'd like. *not saying I have insider info

LRHawg

Thanks FAN for the thoughtful and detailed look inside the program. We see so little from out here, I think sometimes our passion as fans can get the best of us and cause us to infer way too much based upon limited facts and our perceptions. your decision to take the time to com on here and field our questions is appreciated. Best of luck to your son as he goes through this year of school.

And as someone else said, I think we need an official parent representative on Hogville, it's so great to hear about their experience as their son goes through the program.

Pork Twain

I have never been a huge hater of Segrest or any of the other positional coaches.  I have always believed that the problem was with Smith.  I was, however, concerned that his leadership could rub off on the guys under him.  Second half Smith will always remind me of Coach Klein off of Waterboy.  I could see him going into prevent D every game and then going to hide behind the bench.  You can be the best position coach in the world, but that will not matter if the DC/OC does not effectively utilize the players you have prepared for him.  Would I still prefer to have Charlie Partridge? Yes but I also think that we all saw spurts of what our individual units on defense could do in the first halves of several games this year.  The position coaches never disappointed me like Coach Klein did.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/