Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Sec, Missouri, & West Virginia

Started by woo.pig, September 03, 2017, 09:01:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

woo.pig

West Virginia was practically begging to be invited into the SEC but they went with Missouri. I feel like WV would've been a better fit. Passionate fanbase better football program, and basketball on par with Mizzou

Hawgphat

I consider it to be entirely possible that geographic location may have played a role in this determination.  If that concern was uppermost in the equation, I can understand that.  I can also understand that others may have entertained a different criteria.

welchog

Better to dismantle one conference than just annoy two.

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Pudgepork

Missouri offered more television watchers.  More money

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: woo.pig on September 03, 2017, 09:01:36 pm
West Virginia was practically begging to be invited into the SEC but they went with Missouri. I feel like WV would've been a better fit. Passionate fanbase better football program, and basketball on par with Mizzou

It's more about eyeballs.  You think the SEC gave a darn whether or not A$M would be any good in the SEC?  Probably not so much.  The SEC wanted into the TX market.  That's a lot of eyeballs.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 03, 2017, 09:07:10 pm
Not enough TV's in WV.

Unfortunately this, although I agree with OP that WV would have been a better fit.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

oldhawg

Missouri has won the SEC East twice since becoming a conference member.  Not sure West Virginia would have done that.  Overall more viewers in Missouri's program area than west Virginia.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: oldhawg on September 03, 2017, 09:16:39 pm
Missouri has won the SEC East twice since becoming a conference member.  Not sure West Virginia would have done that.  Overall more viewers in Missouri's program area than west Virginia.
West Virginia would have been a great fit. They have a great football program. Missouri would have kept their rivalry with Kansas in the big 12 and compete. However like mentioned already, Mizzou was a better market

Hoggish1

AirWarren

I love to watch West Virgina football and their fans.

Lots of similarities in Arkansas and WV.

RazorPiggie

Their basketball is currently way better than Missouri

Hawghiggs

Its not really a comparison. Mizzou is an AAU member from a large populated state.

ChicoHog

Absolutely right.  Unfortunately common sense and athletic fit are not as important to the bean counters.  Sure there are more people and TV sets in the Missouri market but half of them or more don't care about Mizzou sports while everyone in WV cares about the Mountaineers.  And they have large alumni base in the DC area where there are plenty of people.  If they didn't go to the Big 12 they might have had a chance at the ACC but hindsight is 20/20.  They just don't fit in the Big 12 geographically and I think it hurts them somewhat in recruiting. 

Pancetta

The largest Metro area in MO is Greater St Louis at approx 3 million vs Charleston WV metro at approx 300,000.  But you are right, culturally and geographically WV or VA Tech would have been better fits. 
Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

hogsanity

WVU made no sense geographically or in viewers for the SEC
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ChicoHog

Quote from: hogsanity on September 03, 2017, 11:18:42 pm
WVU made no sense geographically or in viewers for the SEC
They fit geographically in east as much as Mizzou does.  And better fit athletically and their fan support. 

Bacons Rebellion

St. Louis and Kansas City vs. Charleston and Wheeling.

Yeah, Missouri wins that one. As everyone else has said, it's about butts on the couch, watching the tube.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on September 03, 2017, 09:16:13 pm
Unfortunately this, although I agree with OP that WV would have been a better fit.

Agree. Mizzou did and still does have a lot more upside and potential than WV though.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogcard1964

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on September 03, 2017, 09:16:13 pm

I'd like to see the next wave of realignment into the SEC involve West Virginia and Oklahoma.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 04, 2017, 08:15:08 am
I'd like to see the next wave of realignment into the SEC involve West Virginia and Oklahoma.

I'd rather see Iowa state than West Virginia.

UAfanatic

The eyeballs in Mo are more interested in St Louis and KC than college, in WV college is where all the eyeballs are

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: UAfanatic on September 04, 2017, 08:55:37 am
The eyeballs in Mo are more interested in St Louis and KC than college, in WV college is where all the eyeballs are

Don't assume that ALL the eyeballs in MO care about St Louis or KC in any way. Even if they do like pro sports first they might watch college sports on Saturdays anyway. More TV sets mean more potential viewers. 

longpig

Quote from: Pudgepork on September 03, 2017, 09:07:54 pm
Missouri offered more television watchers.  More money

True,  but barely a War Memorial Stadium full are college football watchers.   
Don't be scared, be smart.

Hogwild

Quote from: ChicoHog on September 03, 2017, 11:15:04 pm
If they didn't go to the Big 12 they might have had a chance at the ACC but hindsight is 20/20.  They just don't fit in the Big 12 geographically and I think it hurts them somewhat in recruiting.

The ACC turned West Virginia down multiple times. Then last year OU president admitted the Big 12 made a mistake taking West Virginia over UL.

QuoteThe rejection by the ACC is no surprise; the Mountaineers have been passed over three times for ACC membership. A source with knowledge of the situation has told CFT that "every person I've spoken with said the same thing: the ACC does not want WVU."

longpig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 04, 2017, 07:57:08 am
Agree. Mizzou did and still does have a lot more upside and potential than WV though.

Take a roadtrip to the blow me state, a Mizzou game on Saturday and a Chiefs game on Sunday.  Chiefs fans are rabid, Mizzou fans that bother to attend celebrate their team scoring because they get to see the big stupid drum again. 

longpig

Quote from: ChicoHog on September 03, 2017, 11:32:34 pm
They fit geographically in east as much as Mizzou does.  And better fit athletically and their fan support.

Culturally WV is a perfect fit, Mizzou is square peg round hole. 

RazorWhacker

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 03, 2017, 09:07:10 pm
Not enough TV's in WV.

Wow. I kinda feel bad for them now.

I've got a couple of old sets. I'm sure between me and my neighbors I could come up with half a dozen or so I could take up there.

PonderinHog

Quote from: RazorWhacker on September 04, 2017, 12:40:53 pm

I've got a couple of old sets. I'm sure between me and my neighbors I could come up with half a dozen or so I could take up there.
Got any false teeth layin' around?  I'm sure they could use those too.

WorfHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 04, 2017, 09:05:51 am
Don't assume that ALL the eyeballs in MO care about St Louis or KC in any way. Even if they do like pro sports first they might watch college sports on Saturdays anyway. More TV sets mean more potential viewers.

Potential is the key word, lots of KU fans in KC and lots of UI fans in St. Louis. I doubt the number of true die hard MU fans is very high. As a fan base WVU beats the snot out of MU.

I'd wager that more Top 25 matchups would draw more viewers than local.

It's all fun and games until the cable/sat companies stop paying for ESPN when most of their subs don't even watch sports. Hope it's working out for ESPN. It's not and they're losing money like crazy.

ronmahony

I think they need couches more than tv's, they have burned all of theirs.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: longpig on September 04, 2017, 10:23:47 am
Take a roadtrip to the blow me state, a Mizzou game on Saturday and a Chiefs game on Sunday.  Chiefs fans are rabid, Mizzou fans that bother to attend celebrate their team scoring because they get to see the big stupid drum again. 

Dude I've been there a LOT. Worked in Columbia and have visited KC many times. This isn't about attendance and rabidness. It's about $$ for the number of TV sets available. YES KC fans are rabid but what are they doing on Saturday? Probably like a lot of others and watching college football...............on TV.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: WorfHog on September 04, 2017, 01:04:31 pm
Potential is the key word, lots of KU fans in KC and lots of UI fans in St. Louis. I doubt the number of true die hard MU fans is very high. As a fan base WVU beats the snot out of MU.

I'd wager that more Top 25 matchups would draw more viewers than local.

It's all fun and games until the cable/sat companies stop paying for ESPN when most of their subs don't even watch sports. Hope it's working out for ESPN. It's not and they're losing money like crazy.

I agree that WV fans are more rabid for their team. However this is NOT about being rabid. It is about TV sets and thus media money generated. WHY do you think the Big 10 took Rutgers. It was ALL about TV's and media markets and $ for such. Besides that Mizzou has potential just like a lot of places to have top 25 teams from time to time. So does WV. So does Arkansas, etc. Just because WV seems to be ahead of Mizzou in rankings moreso lately doesn't mean that was or will always be the case. 

Mike_e

Quote from: Hawghiggs on September 03, 2017, 10:27:08 pm
Its not really a comparison. Mizzou is an AAU member from a large populated state.

This, WV is not a well thought of school academically and we may be all about sports but the university presidents and trustees actually get the vote.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Inhogswetrust

September 04, 2017, 03:02:23 pm #34 Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 04:37:09 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: RazorWhacker on September 04, 2017, 12:40:53 pm

I'm sure the TV repair guy in Beckley will be happy. I hear he has ordered a whole lot of inventory of cathode ray tubes.........................................

ChicoHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 04, 2017, 02:38:49 pm
I agree that WV fans are more rabid for their team. However this is NOT about being rabid. It is about TV sets and thus media money generated. WHY do you think the Big 10 took Rutgers. It was ALL about TV's and media markets and $ for such. Besides that Mizzou has potential just like a lot of places to have top 25 teams from time to time. So does WV. So does Arkansas, etc. Just because WV seems to be ahead of Mizzou in rankings moreso lately doesn't mean that was or will always be the case. 
I understand the reasoning.  I just don't agree with it.  It's a good thing we have our place solidified because we would be just like WVU, on the outside looking in even though our fan base is much more  interested in sports than Missouri.

WorfHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 04, 2017, 02:38:49 pm

You're missing the point, in the very near future (i.e. al a carte cable/sat and online subs), ESPN will not be getting all the free money from non sports fans. Those folks cutting the cord at an alarming rate. ESPN is in financial freefall (which is why they cut all their high paid talent). Disney is thinking about spinning them off to stop their bleeding. Mizzou is not the draw the bean counters (as a bean counter I know how easy it is to overestimate) at ESPN think they are. WVU is more and has been historically more competitive in the money making sports. Great match ups mean more than potential TVs and will mean more going forward.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: ChicoHog on September 04, 2017, 07:04:29 pm
I understand the reasoning.  I just don't agree with it.  It's a good thing we have our place solidified because we would be just like WVU, on the outside looking in even though our fan base is much more  interested in sports than Missouri.

Arkansas does have twice the population of West Virginia and much better geographic proximity. Still, Brooke's was wise to make the jump when he did. Better to be the first guy to sell in a neighborhood going bad than the last guy.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: WorfHog on September 04, 2017, 07:18:18 pm
You're missing the point, in the very near future (i.e. al a carte cable/sat and online subs), ESPN will not be getting all the free money from non sports fans. Those folks cutting the cord at an alarming rate. ESPN is in financial freefall (which is why they cut all their high paid talent). Disney is thinking about spinning them off to stop their bleeding. Mizzou is not the draw the bean counters (as a bean counter I know how easy it is to overestimate) at ESPN think they are. WVU is more and has been historically more competitive in the money making sports. Great match ups mean more than potential TVs and will mean more going forward.

I'm not sure about this, because Disney. Your kid might love Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, but you might have to pay for ESPN to get it. They have 40+ networks to leverage.

rtr

Missouri has an offense that will give Arkansas all it can handle, again.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Murr

https://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/19/the-geography-of-college-football-fans-and-realignment-chaos/

Here are some statistics that were floating around during that realignment phase. 

An important statistic back then was new markets as adding schools that did that opened up a renegotiation clause in all three tiers of the SEC contracts.  Adding ST Louis and KC to the Texas markets made the conference the most money while launching a new network. 

Back then Mizzou had slightly more fans than WVU, 1.08M vs 0.95M, much larger markets to guarantee higher subscription rates, AAU academics vs WVU's state mission based goals/standards, and better facilities than those in Morgantown.  Both schools are geographically difficult to get to while yet being contiguous to then SEC map. Morgantown had airfield runway issues and no baseball program or field.

Now the next wave of additions (if any) will be more based on ratings and number of fans added. It will probably be looked at in number of people tuning in to watch the third Teir games on SECN against rent a win OOC opponents, ability to attract non-fans to watch a Tier 1 match up, and ability to convert its fan base to watch other conference football games like the CBS game of the week and Conference Championship Game.  Due to the current GOR's in place, I suspect only Big 12 schools would be likely to jump.  The SEC won't expand if it can't add one of Texas or Oklahoma.  The next school to round out expansion, if only one of those two schools did join, would be prioritized as 1. WVU, 2. Kansas, and 3. OSU just based off of fan base sizes.  There are plenty of factors that can alter this ranking, but for simplicity i chose this one.

ShadowHawg

No offense but life has taught me never to listen to bean counters with regard to what motivates people.

Inhogswetrust

No you're missing the point. Nobody can tell the future. Sure cord cutting is happening. I've done so myself. But we still watch somehow. At the TIME of expansion cord cutting wasn't the main consideration. You haven't been around long if you think WV has always been better in the money makers sports. Might be true today but might not always have been. Besides one or two coaching changes can have an effect on a programs success rate and sometimes for a long time. Expansion is about exposure and thus $ and one of the main components of that is population.