Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can Arkansas's have a true SEC rival

Started by parallaxpig, August 30, 2017, 03:24:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

parallaxpig

Posted in past about Arkansas's football rival(s) and I will always say Texas was our one true rival. But if I use definition of a rival that was posted many times on here then after 76 years in SWC we never had a true rival. After 25 in SEC we still don't have a rival. By definition our rival could have been South Carolina but geographically it never worked out. Now we are trying to push Missouri as the rival. Maybe over time but I'm not buying in yet. So I say Texas A&M should and could fill the bill. We both lost the burnt orange to hate and we have played each other 73 times in the past.  I say move that game to Thanksgiving............ 
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

nchogg

It's easy LSU which was a true rival before the SEC changed the date.

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: nchogg on August 30, 2017, 03:25:51 pm
It's easy LSU which was a true rival before the SEC changed the date.
Nail-Head complete.  This is one game that every Hogs and Tigers fans got excited for...Not sure how it came to LSU but man did it work!!! I've always wanted Tenner to be our rivalry game but it never materialized for whatever reason. This Mizzou thing is just not appealing to anyone and why the powers that be are trying to promote this makes me go bleech!!! :puke:

TAMU could be from the SWC days but even that game is not as appealing.  Some of the best and most memorable games were against LSU and Tenner... IMO.

NuttinItUp

There is an argument to be made for Missouri, Texas A&M, and/or LSU in football. (Potentially Kentucky in basketball.)

Of course now that two of those teams (LSU & A&M) have decided that they want to play each other every year at Thanksgiving and be rivals, that kind of leaves us on the outside-looking-in.

Since the Aggies are undefeated against us since joining the SEC, it isn't much of a rivalry at the moment.

GoHogs1091

Yes, Texas A&M.  They are the only one we play in the SEC that we used to play in the Southwest Conference.

It would be nice for us to win again against Texas A&M.  There has been too much out-coaching occurring when we have played Texas A&M the last recent seasons.

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: NuttinItUp on August 30, 2017, 03:45:17 pm
There is an argument to be made for Missouri, Texas A&M, and/or LSU in football. (Potentially Kentucky in basketball.)

Of course now that two of those teams (LSU & A&M) have decided that they want to play each other every year at Thanksgiving and be rivals, that kind of leaves us on the outside-looking-in.

Since the Aggies are undefeated against us since joining the SEC, it isn't much of a rivalry at the moment.

C'mon bro...You're telling me you couldn't pumped to play Tenner every year as a rivalry game?!?!  Neyland stadium is awesome and Vols tailgates are super fun!!! Plus Knoxville is a cool town with some serious eats!!! heck, you can even bring your boat up and park outside the stadium!!!  Who needs hotels?!?!? I can get onboard playing against Tenner (esp since its an easy drive from Virginia)!!!  I went to the last Hog-Vol game and it was an AWESOME HOG VICTORY!!!!

gchamblee

LSU, and if they don't consider us a rival just keep beating them and forcing them to fire coaches, they will come around.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on August 30, 2017, 03:50:15 pm
C'mon bro...You're telling me you couldn't pumped to play Tenner every year as a rivalry game?!?!  Neyland stadium is awesome and Vols tailgates are super fun!!! Plus Knoxville is a cool town with some serious eats!!! heck, you can even bring your boat up and park outside the stadium!!!  Who needs hotels?!?!? I can get aboard playing against Tenner (esp since its an easy drive from Virginia)!!!

Hey, I wouldn't mind that. I was at that Tennessee game when the goalposts came down and it was an awesome atmosphere!

However, Tennessee has Alabama, Florida, Georgia, and Vandy that they already consider bigger rivals, so it would be tough getting them in on it.

Athog

Quote from: parallaxpig on August 30, 2017, 03:24:11 pm
Posted in past about Arkansas's football rival(s) and I will always say Texas was our one true rival. But if I use definition of a rival that was posted many times on here then after 76 years in SWC we never had a true rival. After 25 in SEC we still don't have a rival. By definition our rival could have been South Carolina but geographically it never worked out. Now we are trying to push Missouri as the rival. Maybe over time but I'm not buying in yet. So I say Texas A&M should and could fill the bill. We both lost the burnt orange to hate and we have played each other 73 times in the past.  I say move that game to Thanksgiving............ 

Texas was our rival. We were not their true rival. So we can have a true rival. Again LSU wasa rival  for us but not them. Maybe miss?

PorkSoda

what is a "True Rival"?

I don't think we will ever have the type of rivalry that AUB/Bama, UT/TAMU, etc have. 

but the Battle of the Boot was a rivalry of sorts, at least to me and a lot of other fans.  its the game that I felt would be competitive even in a down year, where a win made the season a success even if we lost most of our other games.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

HotlantaHog

LSU probably inspires the most hate among Arkansas fans of the SEC teams ... Texas A&M is second ... The SEC is pushing Mizzou as a rivalry but somehow that doesn't seem interesting at all.

Athog

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on August 30, 2017, 03:41:19 pm
Nail-Head complete.  This is one game that every Hogs and Tigers fans got excited for...Not sure how it came to LSU but man did it work!!! I've always wanted Tenner to be our rivalry game but it never materialized for whatever reason. This Mizzou thing is just not appealing to anyone and why the powers that be are trying to promote this makes me go bleech!!! :puke:

TAMU could be from the SWC days but even that game is not as appealing.  Some of the best and most memorable games were against LSU and Tenner... IMO.

Missouri will be a rival before LSU. I am talking in the spirit of both schools rivalary. LSU never considered us a match. They always look at Alabama and Florida.

RazorBassin

LSU is most natural rival, let aTm have mizzou...

PorkSoda

Quote from: HotlantaHog on August 30, 2017, 04:00:20 pm
LSU probably inspires the most hate among Arkansas fans of the SEC teams ... Texas A&M is second ... The SEC is pushing Mizzou as a rivalry but somehow that doesn't seem interesting at all.
I grew up on the border of Arkansas and Missouri, so I do feel a certain amount of rivalry towards them.  and I think they are a good permanent east opponent.  but it will be a long time until they reach the status that the Battle of the Boot has, at least with me.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

HogPharmer

As a younger guy, I've always known LSU to be our rivals. However, the recent snubbing of Thanksgiving game changes seems to affect that. I think we view them more as rivals than they do us. Having said that, I do think most LSU fans know they have to bring their A game to beat us every year, regardless of how good/bad either team is that year... Which seems to be somewhat of a requirement in rivalry games.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

sooie dog

We have played ATM 73 games, Ole Miss 63 games and LSU 62 games. I would say all 3 are our rivals. LSU probably has the more heated version due to us being below .500 in that series.

factchecker

Our "true" rival will always be ourselves.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

HogPharmer

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

bphi11ips

Quote from: sooie dog on August 30, 2017, 04:16:15 pm
We have played ATM 73 games, Ole Miss 63 games and LSU 62 games. I would say all 3 are our rivals. LSU probably has the more heated version due to us being below .500 in that series.

If you're looking for historic rivalries, this is true. Arkansas had bitter rivalries with Ole Miss and LSU before Frank Broyles showed up.  A&M didn't stir passion like the Longhorns did, but right now we'd probably rather beat the Aggies than anyone outside of Alabama.

Who says we need one rival?  We play so many good teams who are natural rivals that almost every SEC game feels like a rivalry.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Hoginsavga

Quote from: factchecker on August 30, 2017, 05:06:34 pm
Our "true" rival will always be ourselves.

Absolutely!!  A true rival for Arkansans' is someone that left the state and made it big.

1highhog

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on August 30, 2017, 03:41:19 pm

The SEC powers that-be are doing everything they can to promote the LSU Aggies rivalry because they do dislike each other, but the Hogs and Tigers despite what a lot of Tiger fans would tell you face to face, they truly despise the Razorbacks, especially the last 10 years or more because we have either beat them or been a major thorn in their side more often than any other program besides Alabama.  With the game being on Thanksgiving day like it was and as many games as we had going down to the wire that just fueled the hatred.  Mizzou is no rival to me and I hate the fact that they are pushed upon the Razorbacks, nay, forced on the Razorbacks as a rival.

Wildhog

It'll be Missouri.  They're close, we think they're beneath us, and we'll get sick of losing to them.  It'll be a thing.

Just have to change that stupid rivalry name.  Frickin' Bazzel.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

rzrbkman

Quote from: Wildhog on August 30, 2017, 05:57:36 pm
It'll be Missouri.  They're close, we think they're beneath us, and we'll get sick of losing to them.  It'll be a thing.

I would be satisfied with Missouri as a rival.

Porkchop#1

No, we'e never had a real rival, never better than 3rd behind OU & A&M to the shorthorns, we hated LSU enough, they weren't too impressed with us  though, not enough to be bothered anyways. 

The SEC's handling of the whole Ags & LSU and us and Mizzou was real poor.  Trying to appease the dumb Aggies since they'd lost their precious Texas University, LSU was fine to go along with it since we'd beat them too often, wimps. 

So we might as well turn our eyes to beating Mizzou and treating them as a rival.  It kinda looks like they get ready to play us more than we do them.

Hoggish1

All 13 other teams are our rivals.  We hate them equally. Except for Auburn, which is a grade of hate above the others...

oldhog63

I think we see Missouri as LSU sees us. That we are the better program and should never lose to them. The fact that they beat us when we think there is no way they should just as we do to LSU just sticks in our craw. And I think Missouri sees beating us makes them legit SEC. And add the facts the schools are so close geographically, just across the border where there is a mixture of families working and going to school in both states, and both are starting to recruit the same areas, I can see over time a rivalry developing.

And I played when we were in the SWC, but I am ok with moving on and having Missouri as a true rival.

HamSammich

Ole miss.... we hate them. They hate us. LSU fan doesn't even know we exist until 24 hours before the yearly game.

An ole miss rivalry would also make south east arkansas people that feel alienated from the program get back into it

Wildhog

Quote from: HamSammich on August 30, 2017, 06:50:12 pm
Ole miss.... we hate them. They hate us. LSU fan doesn't even know we exist until 24 hours before the yearly game.

lol, we will NEVER be 1/1000 the rival that MSU is to them.
1909/1964/1965/1977

HamSammich

Quote from: Wildhog on August 30, 2017, 06:51:13 pm
lol, we will NEVER be 1/1000 the rival that MSU is to them.

Schools can have more than one rivalry. There are many... Florida state has Florida and Miami .

Hawgphat

I'm 71 years old, - -  an old fart, -  - so no tentatively-selected SEC school is likely to ever replace Texas in that role of ultimate rivalry in my heart and mind.

Whichever conference rival should happen to be finally settled upon as the Razorbacks' "blood game" rivalry, I won't throw poop at the designation, - - - - - but such a bracketing will NEVER have the significance of Arkansas vs. Texas for me.  I'm likely just showing my age and my old-timer mindset; - - - - but there it is.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Hawgphat on August 30, 2017, 06:53:58 pm
I'm 71 years old, - -  an old fart, -  - so no tentatively-selected SEC school is likely to ever replace Texas in that role of ultimate rivalry in my heart and mind.

Whichever conference rival should happen to be finally settled upon as the Razorbacks' "blood game" rivalry, I won't throw poop at the designation, - - - - - but such a bracketing will NEVER have the significance of Arkansas vs. Texas for me.  I'm likely just showing my age and my old-timer mindset; - - - - but there it is.
Or it could be Senility.

Wildhog

Quote from: HamSammich on August 30, 2017, 06:52:15 pm
Schools can have more than one rivalry. There are many... Florida state has Florida and Miami .

LSU is Ole Miss' second rival.  The Magnolia Bowl.
1909/1964/1965/1977

factchecker

Quote from: Wildhog on August 30, 2017, 10:26:17 pm
LSU is Ole Miss' second rival.  The Magnolia Bowl.

Memphis is also one of their semi-rivals as well.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Wildhog

Quote from: factchecker on August 30, 2017, 10:35:47 pm
Memphis is also one of their semi-rivals as well.

I don't want to be Ole Miss' maybe tertiary rival.  :)
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkSoda

Quote from: Wildhog on August 30, 2017, 05:57:36 pm

for real, its like they were searching for the stupidest possible name with no historical relevance what so ever.

at least the SW classic with TAMU was a nod back to the SW Conf.

PorkSoda

"The Battle Line Rivalry is an American college football rivalry between the Arkansas Razorbacks and the Missouri Tigers. The teams have met eight times, between November 1906 and November 2016."

in a hundred years we have played them 8 times.  if that's not a rivalry, I don't know what is.  /s

Wildhog

August 30, 2017, 10:55:38 pm #36 Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 11:06:54 pm by Wildhog
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 30, 2017, 10:52:35 pm
"The Battle Line Rivalry is an American college football rivalry between the Arkansas Razorbacks and the Missouri Tigers. The teams have met eight times, between November 1906 and November 2016."

in a hundred years we have played them 8 times.  if that's not a rivalry, I don't know what is.  /s

Oh, it's definitely a start-up.  I've never liked them, though.  Don't even really know why.  Tony Temple didn't help.
1909/1964/1965/1977

NuttinItUp

Quote from: PorkSoda on August 30, 2017, 10:49:11 pm
for real, its like they were searching for the stupidest possible name with no historical relevance what so ever.

at least the SW classic with TAMU was a nod back to the SW Conf.

I thought "Battle Line Rivalry" had something to do with the Civil War or something. (?)

PorkSoda

Quote from: NuttinItUp on August 30, 2017, 10:58:26 pm
I thought "Battle Line Rivalry" had something to do with the Civil War or something. (?)
supposedly it has to do with disputed demarcations of the border between the states.

http://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.net/encyclopedia/entry-detail.aspx?entryID=2546#

Missouri Boundary
The first step in creating Arkansas's north boundary occurred in 1813, when, as part of the Missouri Territory (formerly the Louisiana Territory, renamed in 1812), the territorial legislature of Missouri created Arkansas County for all the land between Louisiana and approximately thirty-six degrees north latitude, comprising all but a few northern counties of present-day Arkansas. Four years later, Missouri Territory residents began petitioning Congress for statehood and described the southern boundary of its proposed state as latitude thirty-six degrees, thirty minutes north. "The southern limit [of Missouri] will be an extension of the line that divides Virginia and North Carolina, Tennessee and Kentucky. ...A front of three and a half degrees up on the Mississippi will be left to the South to form the territory of Arkansas, with the River Arkansas traversing its centre," Missouri's petitioners said. Their plan was to make room for three states (Arkansas, Missouri and Iowa), each having equal land fronting on the Mississippi River.

But what happened next is shrouded in mystery, confusion, and conflicting stories. The proposal for Missouri statehood would have left in Arkansas the area now known as the Missouri bootheel. John Hardeman Walker, a wealthy landowner whose portrait hangs in the public library in Caruthersville, Missouri, is generally credited as the man responsible for stealing the bootheel from Arkansas. He lived in the area, and when word spread that Missouri was seeking statehood, he and others persuaded the territorial legislature to include not only the bootheel but large parts of the Black and White River valleys in northern Arkansas, which today include all or part of seven Arkansas counties. While Walker is blamed for including the bootheel in Missouri, little written proof is found. Indeed, once the movement for Missouri statehood began, residents began petitioning Congress to form Arkansas Territory, and at least one petition described the north boundary as the thirty-sixth latitude between the Mississippi and St. Francis rivers and the thirty-seventh latitude from the St. Francis west, thus the proposal would give the bootheel to Missouri but extend Arkansas farther north to the outskirts of present-day Springfield, Missouri.

In late 1818, a Kentucky congressman proposed the territorial boundary of Missouri and Arkansas as the thirty-sixth latitude from the Mississippi west. The political maneuvering is not well recorded, but the act of Congress of March 2, 1819, creating Arkansas Territory defines the northern boundary as beginning on the Mississippi River at latitude thirty-six degrees north and running west to the St. Francis River, then up the river to latitude thirty-six degrees, thirty minutes north, and then west, thereby creating the Missouri bootheel. Therefore, the bootheel was established when Congress created Arkansas Territory, for it was two years later that Missouri was admitted to the union.

longpig

"If" a W in that last game of the season with Mizzou can become more meaningful to both programs simultaneously, like division championship or NY6 meaningful, it'll become a solid rivalry.  Unfortunately most of us may not live long enough to see it.  :'(
Don't be scared, be smart.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: PorkSoda on August 30, 2017, 11:07:13 pm
supposedly it has to do with disputed demarcations of the border between the states.

http://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.net/encyclopedia/entry-detail.aspx?entryID=2546#

Missouri Boundary
The first step in creating Arkansas's north boundary occurred in 1813, when, as part of the Missouri Territory (formerly the Louisiana Territory, renamed in 1812), the territorial legislature of Missouri created Arkansas County for all the land between Louisiana and approximately thirty-six degrees north latitude, comprising all but a few northern counties of present-day Arkansas. Four years later, Missouri Territory residents began petitioning Congress for statehood and described the southern boundary of its proposed state as latitude thirty-six degrees, thirty minutes north. "The southern limit [of Missouri] will be an extension of the line that divides Virginia and North Carolina, Tennessee and Kentucky. ...A front of three and a half degrees up on the Mississippi will be left to the South to form the territory of Arkansas, with the River Arkansas traversing its centre," Missouri's petitioners said. Their plan was to make room for three states (Arkansas, Missouri and Iowa), each having equal land fronting on the Mississippi River.

But what happened next is shrouded in mystery, confusion, and conflicting stories. The proposal for Missouri statehood would have left in Arkansas the area now known as the Missouri bootheel. John Hardeman Walker, a wealthy landowner whose portrait hangs in the public library in Caruthersville, Missouri, is generally credited as the man responsible for stealing the bootheel from Arkansas. He lived in the area, and when word spread that Missouri was seeking statehood, he and others persuaded the territorial legislature to include not only the bootheel but large parts of the Black and White River valleys in northern Arkansas, which today include all or part of seven Arkansas counties. While Walker is blamed for including the bootheel in Missouri, little written proof is found. Indeed, once the movement for Missouri statehood began, residents began petitioning Congress to form Arkansas Territory, and at least one petition described the north boundary as the thirty-sixth latitude between the Mississippi and St. Francis rivers and the thirty-seventh latitude from the St. Francis west, thus the proposal would give the bootheel to Missouri but extend Arkansas farther north to the outskirts of present-day Springfield, Missouri.

In late 1818, a Kentucky congressman proposed the territorial boundary of Missouri and Arkansas as the thirty-sixth latitude from the Mississippi west. The political maneuvering is not well recorded, but the act of Congress of March 2, 1819, creating Arkansas Territory defines the northern boundary as beginning on the Mississippi River at latitude thirty-six degrees north and running west to the St. Francis River, then up the river to latitude thirty-six degrees, thirty minutes north, and then west, thereby creating the Missouri bootheel. Therefore, the bootheel was established when Congress created Arkansas Territory, for it was two years later that Missouri was admitted to the union.

So if we can win enough times against Missouri, can we get our bootheel back?

Or, maybe just pass the land back and forth like the golden boot trophy. Might get kind of confusing for those living in the area, though.

Locutus_of_Boar

Here's an attempt to rank the 20 most played opponents for their potential as a rival.  I ranked them on most games, most Arkansas wins, oldest series, and whther they are SECW, SECE, or non-conference:

The real candidates.  I think any serious rivalry will come from among these four schools:

Texas A&M   1910 - will soon be the most played of all opponents.  Also 3rd behind Tulsa and TCU in Arkansas wins.  As A&M/Texas drifts into history like Texas/Arkansas this series will continue to grow.  It's had a hand in firing an A&M coach and it could well be the end of an Arkansas coach too and that will be a sign its growing as a rivalry.

Mississippi   1908 - Before Frank Broyles cancelled the series in 1962 this was clearly Arkansas' rival game.  There's enough bad blood going back more than a century and enough coaching shenanigans to fuel a rivalry.

Louisiana State   1901- For many years this was the Louisiana State Fair game in Shreveport much like OU/Tex and from 1992 was intended to be a rivalry game.  Of the modern series it has probably produced the most games worthy of a rivalry.

Tennessee   1907 - Well on its way to being a rivalry before the schedule rotation changed this game remains a potential rivalry match if the divisions are eliminated at some point.

The near misses:

Alabama   1961 - Not a true rivalry, a 21st century shadow of the Texas series

Auburn   1984 - There's enough bad blood to get something started but Auburn has to many other rivals.

Mississippi State    1916 - An afterthought game for both sides.

Missouri will fit in here when there are enough games in the series to put the Tigers in the top 20 most played.

The 20th century rivals:

Texas   1894 - Arkansas' first college opponent and for a few years yet the most played  The few games of the 21st Century haven't been able to recreate the magic of the mid 20th Century clashes they impacted the nation.

Baylor   1912

Tulsa   1917 - Most Arkansas wins, the rivalry of the 1920's

Texas Christian   1920 - 2nd most Arkansas wins

Southern Methodist   1920

Rice   1919

Oklahoma State   1914

The rest of the Top 20 most played:

South Carolina   1992 - Created and destroyed by permanent opponent status without much interest ever developing between the fan bases.

Georgia   1968

Texas Tech   1957

Florida   1982

Oklahoma   1909

Houston   1952

Iwastherein1969

Aggy should be our rivals. For some strange reason they think their program is better than ours and it would be beneath them to have Arkansas considered as their rival. We own them 42-29-3 in football and that's counting their recent 4 game streak over CBB and 1 game streak over, well, the best word I can think of the coach prior to Bielema is simply The Clown. So Aggy is 1-0 vs The Clown. I graduated HS in Arkansas but 4 + 1 = 5. So Aggy has a 5 game winning streak over us. In the two major revenue sports, football and hoops, we own Aggy and in a big way. All that to dispel the Aggy illusion/delusion that they are somehow too good to be the UA's (and not Alabama) rival in the SEC.

Everything is bigger in Texas, even the irrationality of being a narcissist.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Hawgphat

August 31, 2017, 12:22:30 am #43 Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 04:30:42 am by Hawgphat
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 30, 2017, 10:21:27 pm
Or it could be Senility.

"Senility" is a fairly common liability factor for those my age.

I am first and foremost a Hogs fan.  That consideration is of utmost importance to me.

That's the absolute truth.

TheGrove68

Quote from: Athog on August 30, 2017, 04:01:04 pm
Missouri will be a rival before LSU. I am talking in the spirit of both schools rivalary. LSU never considered us a match. They always look at Alabama and Florida.

Ark. will never have a true rival....LSU,A&M,UT, & Ten. Already have rivals and Ark. is a after thought for those squads. The Boot trophy is just some contrived piece of hardware. A rival has to be the circled game on the schedule for both squads. Believe me those programs/Fans are not circling Ark. as a must win or their heads explode thing.

The Sec is pushing Mizzou because in truth the SEC powers that be realize that Ark. has nobody as a rival and it could bloom into a rivalry over time and it makes for good marketing. Mizzou is in the same boat now as KU is a fading memory. We have nobody either....but in truth Ark. is not our rival and while Mizzou fans are more open to embracing the Ark. rival idea in truth Ark. is just a rebound rival for us. Most MU fans would rather be rivals with Ten. or UGA but we are smart enough to realize they already have their dance card punched in that regard.

Long term the hogs will never have a true rival because most Ark. fans seem to not understand the football pecking order and want to over value who your rival should be. Ark. can't be rivals with programs that are considered more blue blood than Ark.. It just doesn't work that way. The media, football conference power brokers etc. just won't buy into that or let it happen. So Ark. will continue to pine away for a LSU/A&M/Ten. etc. as a rival and it will never happen.  Remember just because Ark. fans see a program as a rival doesn't make it so....the other program has to feel the exact same way. If LSU was viewed by anyone outside of Ark. as your rival you'd still be playing them the day after thanksgiving.

Not having a rival isn't a bad thing but it does  make the football season a bit duller.   
The Grove...  Home of Don Faurot

HamSammich

Iowa - Iowa state
North Carolina- Duke
Virginia- Va Tech
South car. - Clemson
Ole miss - Miss state
Florida - Florida state
Oklahoma - ok state
Arkansas - _f_ill__in_blank___

Maybe we are all just too hard headed to face reality.

parallaxpig

Quote from: TheGrove68 on August 31, 2017, 12:24:02 am
Ark. will never have a true rival....LSU,A&M,UT, & Ten. Already have rivals and Ark. is a after thought for those squads. The Boot trophy is just some contrived piece of hardware. A rival has to be the circled game on the schedule for both squads. Believe me those programs/Fans are not circling Ark. as a must win or their heads explode thing.

The Sec is pushing Mizzou because in truth the SEC powers that be realize that Ark. has nobody as a rival and it could bloom into a rivalry over time and it makes for good marketing. Mizzou is in the same boat now as KU is a fading memory. We have nobody either....but in truth Ark. is not our rival and while Mizzou fans are more open to embracing the Ark. rival idea in truth Ark. is just a rebound rival for us. Most MU fans would rather be rivals with Ten. or UGA but we are smart enough to realize they already have their dance card punched in that regard.

Long term the hogs will never have a true rival because most Ark. fans seem to not understand the football pecking order and want to over value who your rival should be. Ark. can't be rivals with programs that are considered more blue blood than Ark.. It just doesn't work that way. The media, football conference power brokers etc. just won't buy into that or let it happen. So Ark. will continue to pine away for a LSU/A&M/Ten. etc. as a rival and it will never happen.  Remember just because Ark. fans see a program as a rival doesn't make it so....the other program has to feel the exact same way. If LSU was viewed by anyone outside of Ark. as your rival you'd still be playing them the day after thanksgiving.

Not having a rival isn't a bad thing but it does  make the football season a bit duller.

Harsh but true.......
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

DoctorSusscrofa

Let's win games first. Nobody really feels rivalry very much with someone they have a strong history of beating, unless they were already rivals before one team hit a dry spell. Let's win games and a rivalry will be more likely to develop.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Deep Shoat

I hate this discussion.  Always a bunch of youngsters and old guys with an inferiority complex talking about how "Texas never considered us a rival".  Growing up in Texas, I can tell you, that is BS.  They STILL hate us.  Maybe the level has dampened down while we aren't playing them every year, but it is still there.  Wait until the next time we play and go read their boards.
All Gas, No Brakes!

hawganatic

I don't get this obsession with having a "rival."  I look at every team we play as a rival.  I'm sure that's how the coaching staff looks at it also.

A rivalry is something that is built up over decades of playing, and can't be planned out by a former player that thinks he knows how to design a trophy.  You can't create a rivalry by scheduling on certain weekends, and you don't lose a rivalry by moving off that weekend (then it really wasn't a rivalry).

These discussions always come off to me as jealousy of programs like Bama/Auburn and Ole Miss/Miss State that have that century long playing history where coach's jobs are based off that one game.  We've never had that and are never going to have that.  It's just the way it is.