Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Razorback Players - Your Mettle Is About To Be Tested

Started by The NewEra, December 09, 2017, 09:37:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The NewEra

December 09, 2017, 09:37:16 am Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 09:59:28 am by The NewEra
Who really wants to play?  Who is willing to give it their all?  Who is going to buy in?  Are you willing to outwork the other guys on the team?

Those are all questions that will determine just who makes the cut going forward with this team.  It will also determine just how fast CCM's system can be implemented.  I've watched his video for coaches on installing the HUNH system and at the 3:30 mark Morris states:

"Fast break football, basketball on grass, it changes the way you practice.  You've got to develop a season long conditioning program, one of the things that were really hard for our kids is to understand that there is going to be conditioning.  In the past they had never ran conditioning, never ran wind sprints again.  Always worked hard in practice, but that was it " 

"If you're going to do this and dedicate yourself to this, the program to this you're going to have to put in some sort of conditioning program and so we condition three days a week, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.  This is the hardest thing, of all the things we had with our kids this is the hardest thing to get them to buy into".

I have no idea why we saw so many games over the past two years where players actually gave up and just quit.  Was it a player problem or a coaching problem, or both?  Who knows? 

What I'm fairly confident of is that any players who are prone to quitting when it gets tough won't make it to fall camp next year and those that do will likely be a very positive face of the program moving forward.

It's gut check time kids.  I hope every one of you make it, but only you hold the key to success.

The whole video is a great view.  The part I referenced above starts at the 3:30 mark.  Here is the link: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKHj4X5CRIk

Pig Worshipper

Unless you work for Boeing, the term you're looking for is, "Test your mettle."

dfwalumdad

you realize that he's won 14 games as a D1 head coach in three years right?

The NewEra

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: dfwalumdad on December 09, 2017, 09:56:13 am

The best is yet to come you mean?

PonderinHog

Hogs run wild

dood took SMU to a bowl game. SMU! i bet if he had stayed, his record for wins would've kept going up. that's the thing you want in a coach, to see consistent improvement. Bret's team showed some improvement, then the team showed regression over the past 2 years. Regression is a bad sign of poor coaching.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

Albert Einswine

"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

MuskogeeHogFan

Mainly because he didn't have the Clemson defense at SMU. Offensively the production at SMU was as good as he had at Clemson.
Go Hogs Go!

Hogs run wild

We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

Albert Einswine

"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

PonderinHog

jkstock04

Quote from: The NewEra on December 09, 2017, 09:37:16 am
Who really wants to play?  Who is willing to give it their all?  Who is going to buy in?  Are you willing to outwork the other guys on the team?

Those are all questions that will determine just who makes the cut going forward with this team.  It will also determine just how fast CCM's system can be implemented.  I've watched his video for coaches on installing the HUNH system and at the 3:30 mark Morris states:

"Fast break football, basketball on grass, it changes the way you practice.  You've got to develop a season long conditioning program, one of the things that were really hard for our kids is to understand that there is going to be conditioning.  In the past they had never ran conditioning, never ran wind sprints again.  Always worked hard in practice, but that was it " 

"If you're going to do this and dedicate yourself to this, the program to this you're going to have to put in some sort of conditioning program and so we condition three days a week, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.  This is the hardest thing, of all the things we had with our kids this is the hardest thing to get them to buy into".

I have no idea why we saw so many games over the past two years where players actually gave up and just quit.  Was it a player problem or a coaching problem, or both?  Who knows? 

What I'm fairly confident of is that any players who are prone to quitting when it gets tough won't make it to fall camp next year and those that do will likely be a very positive face of the program moving forward.

It's gut check time kids.  I hope every one of you make it, but only you hold the key to success.

The whole video is a great view.  The part I referenced above starts at the 3:30 mark.  Here is the link: 

The Bielema era will go down as one that was soft and lazy...especially in light of this upcoming transition. I'll be surprised if we don't have several who don't make it and transfer/drop out.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hoggusamoungus

That's one more than Lou Holtz won in his first three years.

Inhogswetrust

We hired THREE head coaches since Frank retired as coach that had losing records at their most previous job when hired as our head coach..........One of which has the HIGHEST win percentage of ANY coach in our history. Ken Hatfield. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

The NewEra

Quote from: jkstock04 on December 09, 2017, 10:30:38 am
The Bielema era will go down as one that was soft and lazy...especially in light of this upcoming transition. I'll be surprised if we don't have several who don't make it and transfer/drop out.

I agree!

FineAsSwine

Hogs up! Covid down!

RockyMtnHog

What set the tone was when he walked into the meeting with the players and told them to sit straight up, put your feet on the ground and put your drinks down.  That got their attention.  He is in charge.

He will be putting them through a Speed Boot Camp.  We will see who taps out and rings the bell.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

Pig in the Pokey

they are about to go thru B.U.D.S. We'll see who the grown-ass men are.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

blueridger

in year 1 at SMU, several players disappeared off the roster after the spring session.  i'm telling you folks...these message boards and the people that are spewing hate...you are gonna be a bunch of embarrassed pigshits when you see what takes the field in september.  get ready to be PROUD of your Team...no matter how much it hurts your pride to be PROUD.    sheesh (I think)

The NewEra

Quote from: RockyMtnHog on December 09, 2017, 12:35:55 pm
What set the tone was when he walked into the meeting with the players and told them to sit straight up, put your feet on the ground and put your drinks down.  That got their attention.  He is in charge.

He will be putting them through a Speed Boot Camp.  We will see who taps out and rings the bell.

You're spot on.  He set the tone right off the bat.

The NewEra

Quote from: blueridger on December 09, 2017, 12:46:31 pm
in year 1 at SMU, several players disappeared off the roster after the spring session.  i'm telling you folks...these message boards and the people that are spewing hate...you are gonna be a bunch of embarrassed pigshits when you see what takes the field in september.  get ready to be PROUD of your Team...no matter how much it hurts your pride to be PROUD.    sheesh (I think)

We are singing off the same sheet of music blueridger.

BoogaHog

Been preaching this FOREVER.  See tagline and previous posts.

BoogaHog

Quote from: BJJHog on December 09, 2017, 12:48:40 pm
Been preaching this FOREVER.  See tagline and previous posts.

4TH QUARTER COMING BACK AND LASTING YEAR ROUND...YES SIR!!!!

BoogaHog

Wild Bill Hog

So tired of seeing consistent collapses by a poorly conditioned team.  How many games did we lose because of lack of conditioning?  I can think of several.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Albert Einswine on December 09, 2017, 10:09:22 am

Foregiven, geesh!

;D
Oh crap!  Now I see what you did there!   :-[  Hopefully, we can iron out our differences.

RockyMtnHog

A lot of people will be saying "Where in the Hell has this Razorback team been for the past 5 years"!
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 09, 2017, 10:35:10 am
We hired THREE head coaches since Frank retired as coach that had losing records at their most previous job when hired as our head coach..........One of which has the HIGHEST win percentage of ANY coach in our history. Ken Hatfield. 

Lou Holtz was barely right behind Hatfield in overall winning %, and he is the only Razorback coach to even sniff a NC since Broyles....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DLUXHOG on December 09, 2017, 01:15:36 pm
Lou Holtz was barely right behind Hatfield in overall winning %, and he is the only Razorback coach to even sniff a NC since Broyles....

Yep. And what was his record with the Jets when he left early to come here...............that's right a really big losing one. Previous record only makes for a vociferous discussion. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Piggfoot

Next year because we will be in better shape.
I was surprised listening to CCM video we he said his teams ran wind sprints and did conditioning drills MTW each week.
I am old school and I suppose many of you are as well. We ran wind sprints on MTW during season and every day preseason.
It was obvious to me one of our primary problems, maybe the primary problem was our lack of conditioning. Was post practice sprints and conditioning the responsibility of the strength coach? Or did we just not do them. I never had an opportunity to observe a practice.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: PonderinHog on December 09, 2017, 01:01:52 pm
Oh crap!  Now I see what you did there!   :-[  Hopefully, we can iron out our differences.

For all intensive purposes, he "could" care less.😉

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

PIGGTOWN HAM

A player told me they didn't do near enough running. A player said that

PIGGTOWN HAM

If a player says they didn't run enough, they didn't run enough

MuskogeeHogFan

I'm not sure when post practice conditioning went out the window. I'll grant you that if executed properly that there are plenty of things that are done during regular practice time that should aid conditioning, but often times there isn't enough exertion by the players and it is tolerated by coaches.

As an example, how many times have you seen WR's/TE's or RB's go out on routes and they appear to be going less than full speed? Kinda loafing through routes? I've never been an advocate of that. Even when I coached, if you were going to run a route at any time in practice you ran it at full speed. How else do you get the timing down between the QB and his receivers? Run the route like you mean it, like it was in a game. Going half or 3/4 speed doesn't do the team any good at all and for goodness sakes, finish the run like you were sprinting for your life.

Same with QB's carrying out play action fakes. Don't turn around and look back at the RB going through the hole, carry out your fake as if you still have the ball. Practice should be no different than games. It really chafes me to see a QB just hand off and stand there watching. But that is on the OC and QB Coach. Hand the ball off and roll out the same or opposite direction and keep running full speed, not looking back, sell the fake as if you are hiding the ball on your hip.

All of these things and more can add to conditioning but I don't think that I was ever allowed to skip running wind sprints (except when injured) after a practice in the 16 years that I played the game. In fact, at one point we were required to jog a 1/2 mile before pre-practice stretching and calisthentics and then alternated between running sprints or stadiums at the end of practice. This was 3-4 days each week, excluding the day before a game. During three-a-days, you ran after each practice...not just once a day.

To me the importance of off-season and in-season conditioning cannot be emphasized enough. It not only helps make you mentally tougher and helps to out-condition your opponents, but it also has a tendency to limit or minimize injuries.

So yeah, I hope he runs their tails off, among other things.
Go Hogs Go!

JONAS

Quote from: Piggfoot on December 09, 2017, 02:29:27 pm
I was surprised listening to CCM video we he said his teams ran wind sprints and did conditioning drills MTW each week.
I am old school and I suppose many of you are as well. We ran wind sprints on MTW during season and every day preseason.
It was obvious to me one of our primary problems, maybe the primary problem was our lack of conditioning. Was post practice sprints and conditioning the responsibility of the strength coach? Or did we just not do them. I never had an opportunity to observe a practice.

Yep.  When I played we ran everyday in preseason.  We had 2 a days.  We ran MTW during the season. 

PonderinHog

Quote from: PIGGTOWN HAM on December 09, 2017, 02:33:57 pm
If a player says they didn't run enough, they didn't run enough
Hell, if a player said they ran too much, they (probably) didn't run enough.

PIGGTOWN HAM

Quote from: PonderinHog on December 09, 2017, 03:07:15 pm
Hell, if a player said they ran too much, they (probably) didn't run enough.

Right?! I was surprised to hear it

The NewEra

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 09, 2017, 02:42:06 pm
I'm not sure when post practice conditioning went out the window. I'll grant you that if executed properly that there are plenty of things that are done during regular practice time that should aid conditioning, but often times there isn't enough exertion by the players and it is tolerated by coaches.

As an example, how many times have you seen WR's/TE's or RB's go out on routes and they appear to be going less than full speed? Kinda loafing through routes? I've never been an advocate of that. Even when I coached, if you were going to run a route at any time in practice you ran it at full speed. How else do you get the timing down between the QB and his receivers? Run the route like you mean it, like it was in a game. Going half or 3/4 speed doesn't do the team any good at all and for goodness sakes, finish the run like you were sprinting for your life.

Same with QB's carrying out play action fakes. Don't turn around and look back at the RB going through the hole, carry out your fake as if you still have the ball. Practice should be no different than games. It really chafes me to see a QB just hand off and stand there watching. But that is on the OC and QB Coach. Hand the ball off and roll out the same or opposite direction and keep running full speed, not looking back, sell the fake as if you are hiding the ball on your hip.

All of these things and more can add to conditioning but I don't think that I was ever allowed to skip running wind sprints (except when injured) after a practice in the 16 years that I played the game. In fact, at one point we were required to jog a 1/2 mile before pre-practice stretching and calisthentics and then alternated between running sprints or stadiums at the end of practice. This was 3-4 days each week, excluding the day before a game. During three-a-days, you ran after each practice...not just once a day.

To me the importance of off-season and in-season conditioning cannot be emphasized enough. It not only helps make you mentally tougher and helps to out-condition your opponents, but it also has a tendency to limit or minimize injuries.

So yeah, I hope he runs their tails off, among other things.

For all of his faults, if I remember correctly Bobby Petrino made the players go 100% through the routs.  Running backs, etc., once the ball was in your hands you always went full speed to the goal line.

You make a good point on the Q.B.'s.  How you practice is how you will play, technique flaws, etc.

Petrino's pass routes were a thing of beauty because the players executed them to perfection in practice and carried that over to the game.  The Q.B. knew exactly when and where to throw the ball.

p.s.  I didn't realize you coached.  Where and for how long?

KCRazorbackfan

I bet they sure won't be fed pb&j sandwiches at halftime....
Life took me to Central Florida, but I'll always be a Razorback.

jkstock04

Quote from: Piggfoot on December 09, 2017, 02:29:27 pm
I'm gonna assume the conditioning of the team was a joke unless FOH or someone steps up and says otherwise. I agree with you on the in season conditioning...i figured that wind sprints during season were the norm for everyone but won't surprise me if under Bielema it wasn't this way.

My limited playing experience in college (1 yr) was Sunday afternoon film study and actually a light workout. Monday's were film study/meetings only. Tuesday-Thursday were balls to the wall. Thursday wasn't as physical of a practice but we still ran sprints to end the day. End of practice was ALWAYS met with gassers and plenty of them. High school wasn't as in depth with film study but same thing coach ran our asses off...we absolutely were in shape cardio wise to play a full game. I figured this was normal football operation but maybe not.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jkstock04 on December 09, 2017, 04:50:49 pm
I'm gonna assume the conditioning of the team was a joke unless FOH or someone steps up and says otherwise. I agree with you on the in season conditioning...i figured that wind sprints during season were the norm for everyone but won't surprise me if under Bielema it wasn't this way.

My limited playing experience in college (1 yr) was Sunday afternoon film study and actually a light workout. Monday's were film study/meetings only. Tuesday-Thursday were balls to the wall. Thursday wasn't as physical of a practice but we still ran sprints to end the day. End of practice was ALWAYS met with gassers and plenty of them. High school wasn't as in depth with film study but same thing coach ran our asses off...we absolutely were in shape cardio wise to play a full game. I figured this was normal football operation but maybe not.

Prescribed conditioning varies from coaching staff to coaching staff depending upon their philosophy. There are a lot of teams that have little or no heavy contact drills once the season starts because of the ongoing physical toll that it tends to have on players. If you have sufficient developed depth you can still have a lot of full contact scrimmage but that is usually limited to players deeper in the depth chart on Mondays who saw little or no playing time on Saturday. That way you continue to develop depth by getting those developing players some more extensive snaps. I'm not sure if they still do that or not.

But there shouldn't be any reason for a lack of ongoing and extensive conditioning from the standpoint of a combination of lifting and running.
Go Hogs Go!

#1Fan

Quote from: jkstock04 on December 09, 2017, 10:30:38 am
The reggae, flip-flop era.

rzrbk4life

No doubt it's time to put the petal to the mettle!!
Let's call those hogs!!!!