Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Poll for Those that did not want Coach Morris

Started by Peter Porker, December 09, 2017, 08:21:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you feel now about the Coach Morris hire?

Still the same...we will be looking for a new coach in 5 years (DC doesn't matter...his record).
I feel better, but am cautious (need a proven DC).
I was wrong. I believe we got a winner (I believe he will get a proven DC).
Frito Pie.

Con el Cerdos

Will say up front that Morris was never on my wish list.  I've watched the SMU 2017 highlights, and didn't see anything that would put him on my list now.

I have also watched various videos of his team meeting and media interviews and I like the man.  Love his family, which tells me a lot about the man.

That said, still not convinced he will be successful at Arkansas.  Ultimately, it will be about recruiting; system helps but in the SECW you have to have the studs.  Success will come if CCM can recruit high level offensive and defensive linemen.  If he can't then we'll probably top-out as a 7 to an occasional 9 win program.

Just preferences I suppose.  My wish list was head up by Leach and Kiffin, even with the semi-bad press that each seem to carry.  Leach has proved he can win with less; Kiffin, I think is a very good coach and recruiter.  His stint at Bama and his present FAU team impressed me. 

I will also say Gus was not on my list either, just never thought he was ever serious about coming to Arkansas.  Surprised the BOT bit so hard.

Anyway, back to CCM; he won't last through his contract IMO.  Either he will fail and be fired in year four or five or he will succeed wildly and move on to Clemson, once Dabo moves to Bama after Saban retires.  Or as many suspect, to A&M after Fisher flames out.

Scatter shooting now, but the only coach at Arkansas who was born and raised in Texas that I thought absolutely loved the University of Arkansas and the state, was Gary Blair.  If he doesn't pass first, I expect at any time we will read about him retiring to come back to Fayetteville.

blueridger

not sure why i'm doing this but I can't take it.  i've been around Coach Morris since his arrival at Clemson. i'm very blessed that i've had access to him during the Clemson years and the SMU years. i'm not a coach, i'm just a lucky guy that had access.  to those of you that are positive and accepting of this COMPLETE TURNAROUND OF YOUR FOOTBALL PROGRAM, I am happy for you and for me.  for those of you that have studied the body of his work are are still skeptical...I applaud your study, football knowledge love and for your  university and TEAM.  for you others...i feel sorry for you. 

HoggieStyle

So will we get a new poll next week? You know...after he makes a couple more speeches and does an interview or two....

"Do you love him now?"

"What about now?"

I remember all the people that were stoked about Bielema. He said all the right stuff. Ol' Jen "throwin the A". It was all the greatest thing since peanut butter cookies until you fast forward to now.

Hoggy Hogalot

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 09, 2017, 08:40:52 am
Nick Saban might not win a title here.  There is always chance and risk.  However, upon review I'm willing to table his record and poor recruiting rankings as an anomaly against a stellar career thus far.  He's got energy, vision, passion, intelligence and a plan.  If he gets a top notch DC and can move our recruiting rankings from the mid-20's to the teens, we can be extremely competitive and it will work out.  Only time will tell.  I sure like what I see from him as a person.
i couldn't agree more with this post. I think he can get it done.

zuko

I am in the 11 percent and I have no problem saying simply that Morris is not my choice and apparently, there are those on this forum that simply can't accept that without issuing personal innuendoes and calling me stupid . I certainly enjoy the debates and comments made by most of the members and have nothing but respect for them. I am disappointed that the management of this forum accepts that  kind of commentary that nobody deserves, no matter what.

The Kig

Somewhat comical. One side is completely convinced that Morris is a homerun and tells the other side that they are wrong, Bret lovers (or Gus or Petrino or whoever), or haven't done their homework.  The other side is blindly convinced that Morris is a terrible hire and tells the the other side they are completely clueless and he will fail miserably.   

Both sides are wrong today, but time will prove one side right.  There simply isn't enough data to prove one side right or wrong,  but both sides have cause for optimism or skepticism.   We absolutely need to come together as a fanbase.  It really doesn't matter any longer..the sip has sailed and Morris is our coach. Pumping him up incessantly or tearing him down incessantly will not change the fact that he is going to get a chance to prove someone right.
Poker Porker

LawyerHog50

The poll shows that less than half of hogville feels good about the hire. Everyone else either doesn't care, Hates the hire, or is too guarded to feel good about the hire.

I bet we see some rapid movement after the DC hire.
"The definition of swagger, in my opinion, is you have to have that arrogance, that confidence that you are the best out there at all times." Keyshawn Johnson

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: LawyerHog50 on December 09, 2017, 02:12:44 pm
The poll shows that less than half of hogville feels good about the hire. Everyone else either doesn't care, Hates the hire, or is too guarded to feel good about the hire.

No, this poll was only for people that didn't want him to begin with.  I wanted him all along so I didn't vote. 
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Seebs

Our state has a ton of sad people in it unfortunately. Arkansas ranks 15th nationally in suicides.  its obvious 10.6% are on this board.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

HoopS

Quote from: zuko on December 09, 2017, 02:11:18 pm
I am in the 11 percent and I have no problem saying simply that Morris is not my choice and apparently, there are those on this forum that simply can't accept that without issuing personal innuendoes and calling me stupid . I certainly enjoy the debates and comments made by most of the members and have nothing but respect for them. I am disappointed that the management of this forum accepts that  kind of commentary that nobody deserves, no matter what.
did you pipe up when another faction was calling anyone who supported hiring Morris names?
welcome to what was being done to those who were supportive of hiring him. I shared info about what I'd been told by HS coaches and connections and wish I'd never said a word. Hogville tends to bring out hatred if you state an opposing viewpoint. This is why I wasn't opposed to hiring whoever including Gus. Didn't matter who we hired, you'd have some who hate the hire and anyone who likes it, and those who love the hire and despise anyone who doesn't.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: _Hamlet_ on December 09, 2017, 08:24:42 am
CCM has been head coach for less than a week so please explain to me what has swayed everyones opinion on him?? He has done absolutely nothin yet.

On Wall Street it's known as a Dead Cat Bounce.  Whether this cat has 8 more lives left to go we won't begin to know till September.

East Clintwood

Quote from: LawyerHog50 on December 09, 2017, 02:12:44 pm

No, this poll shows what the 328 people that bothered to vote think, nothing more.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

LawyerHog50

Quote from: East Clintwood on December 09, 2017, 03:10:35 pm

No, this poll shows what the 328 people that bothered to vote think, nothing more.

The poll is called a sample. Most samples indicate percentages we can infer of the higher population. In dumbed down terms, which you probably need, Polls are meant as a projection of how everyone feels. https://ropercenter.cornell.edu/support/polling-fundamentals-sampling/

but leave the rose colored glasses on if you like. Ignorance is a bliss.

"The definition of swagger, in my opinion, is you have to have that arrogance, that confidence that you are the best out there at all times." Keyshawn Johnson

LawyerHog50

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on December 09, 2017, 02:16:27 pm
No, this poll was only for people that didn't want him to begin with.  I wanted him all along so I didn't vote.

If that's true, Just how did the OP screen all those sunshine pumpers out?

Oh that's right he didn't. They participated anyway and checked the sunshine pumping, "I was wrong, we got a winner" box.

4me2know

I was on board from the first day that it was posted that they interviewed him two times. All you had to do was do a little research on the man.  I was one of the few people on hear that liked him before the hire.

LawyerHog, you've explained how near everyone else feels, how do you feel about the hiring of Chad Morris?

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: LawyerHog50 on December 09, 2017, 06:38:13 pm

Oh that's right he didn't. They participated anyway and checked the sunshine pumping, "I was wrong, we got a winner" box.

No, they are just smart enough to read the post title.  Just like you are not.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.

As much as I hate to see anyone totally one way or the other, I still understand that everyone has a right to their opinion.

My opinion is that it is unlikely that any current college coach could bring us a SECC or NC and that includes the standard bearer, Saban.  We need 6 other West division teams to have very average or bad years for us to win the West and then we'd need the East to provide a pitiful winner in their division for us to win that SECC. 

Chad Morris hasn't had time to prove anything yet.  He looks like a decent coach, so far says the right things, word is he actually worked Friday on recruiting.  I don't know even one assistant that he plans on hiring unless one of them is Lunney. 

It is also my opinion that none of us have any sure fire reason to believe he will fail terrible or win wonderful.  He has offered no solid info that says HOMERUN HIRE, nor has he given any sound mind enough info to say he is a total loser.  So we dance and see what happens.

HamGrowsOnTrees

Quote from: HoggieStyle on December 09, 2017, 01:19:57 pm
So will we get a new poll next week? You know...after he makes a couple more speeches and does an interview or two....

"Do you love him now?"

"What about now?"

I remember all the people that were stoked about Bielema. He said all the right stuff. Ol' Jen "throwin the A". It was all the greatest thing since peanut butter cookies until you fast forward to now.

These folks repeat over and over Man. Just hang on and enjoy the meltdowns.

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: LawyerHog50 on December 09, 2017, 06:38:13 pm

If you'd like to see a poll that doesn't restrict who should vote for it, look no further than this one which is overwhelmingly positive in favor of the hire:

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=652139.0

It shows 222 in favor, and 14 either not in favor or thinking he will fail.

What now?

The vast majority of people are pleased with the hire at this point.  You are firmly in the minority.

pigmania

CCM has been head coach for less than a week so please explain to me what has swayed everyones opinion on him?? He has done absolutely nothin yet.
It's the pixie dust that's being sprinkled by the Arkansas sports media hacks.

Kneph13

Quote from: hoglady on December 09, 2017, 08:36:52 am
I believe this guy has a vision and a plan.
Time will tell whether that plan works here.
But I think his plan is better and more realistic than Bielema's was to put a competitive team on the field.

This here.  I am in excited but cautious mode.  Wait and see.  I want to see who the DC is and what we look like a few games into the next season.
There is no Political Correctness in war

East Clintwood

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on December 09, 2017, 07:14:52 pm
If you'd like to see a poll that doesn't restrict who should vote for it, look no further than this one which is overwhelmingly positive in favor of the hire:

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=652139.0

It shows 222 in favor, and 14 either not in favor or thinking he will fail.

What now?

The vast majority of people are pleased with the hire at this point.  You are firmly in the minority.

Hidden pole is not valid. 

I didn't see it, didn't vote in it so it can't be anywhere near correct.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: East Clintwood on December 09, 2017, 08:05:20 pm

Hidden pole is not valid. 

I didn't see it, didn't vote in it so it can't be anywhere near correct.

It wasn't hidden, it was posted normally here just like the current one.

Bkhardicars

He was my plan D.After reading up on him and actually hearing him talk his philosophy on several you tube videos, I think he would have been my Plan B had I known last week what I know about him now. I Am optimistic about his potential to recruit TX. Lastly, the fact that he actually wanted the job moves him high up my list as well. I wish him well!

LawyerHog50

swineology

Quote from: Peter Porker on December 09, 2017, 08:21:55 am
Curious what the feel is now.

He's bringing plenty of SMU coaches with him.

Huge concern to me.

snoblind

Who is everyone?  From the so called 5-7 of those under consideration he was in always my top 2.  I've been happy with hire since it was announced.

LZH

The more I checked into him, the better I felt.  But, most likely, his DC hire will make or break him here.

Phil D

Quote from: swineology on December 10, 2017, 06:08:08 pm
He's bringing plenty of SMU coaches with him.

Huge concern to me.

The only coaches I have seen that he has brought are on the offensive side of the ball. These are the coaches who turned out a top 15 offense in all of college football last year, How is that concerning? I would agree with this statement if it were the SMU defensive coaches he were bringing with him.
GO HOGS!!!!!!

LJHOG

He's out in 5.  You can't recruit well enough to Arkansas to fulfill the expectations of Hog fans.

Hawgzinbowlz

Time will tell...He gives hope where there was none before.

Ambivalent at first and currently on board...Show me some success and improvement.

" GO HOGS "

tusksincolorado

I am nonplus on this hire....but more positive than I was when Nuttless was shoved down our throats!

It will be 3 years at least before we will see true results from both his offense and whatever defense he brings into Fayetteville. He will need at least 3 years to get his recruits on the Hill.

We also have a religious Head Coach...I am wondering just how this fan base will react in years 4,5, and 6 when they start to complain how we cannot manhandled Bama in the 4th qtr., or beat Barn at their own game, because we are to "schoolyard"?

Remember, we lost to Texas one year....and "Jesus wept", and a coach was ran off to Clemson with back to back 11-1 seasons.

We will see how fickle our fans will be, when this comes.

We are not the most patient of supporters, we like flash, sparkles, and pretty fireworks.....SQUIRREL!!!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

farmhawg

Waaaaa, I hated the Bret hire, was ridiculed and banned for my opinion. You are lucky enough that they are allowing a broader range of opinions than they did with Bret. Hopefully they learned something.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

From Tusk Till Dawn

I wasn't big on the hire.  But I'm optimistic and when the whistle blows for that first game, he has my full support.

Augustus

Mark down all the negative nancies, because in a few years they will want to build statues of the man

SPAL

I voted Frito pie cause I've been on board from the jump.

SPAL

Quote from: Augustus on December 11, 2017, 02:26:03 am
Mark down all the negative nancies, because in a few years they will want to build statues of the man

Jonas is one I remember that stands out. He said he was done forever if we hired Morris. I hope he is held to that. Second, he said, " I would rather have Sandusky.". That may not have been him, but I think it was.

Hogindasticks

Waiting on the DC hire that he promised the Kids would be "The Best".  If he falls short, he falls short with the fans, team and Razorback Football. I am hoping that it comes true, but we have been burnt before.

AlmaHog2011

From reading on here I am not surprised by all the naysayers. It's obvious that this site is not longer close to 100% Razorback fans. Constant bashing of everything in this state.
A lot of people are on here to nothing but attack anything Arkansas.

Hogindasticks

It all stops when they prove it on the field.  Period.  If they do...then everyone will jump on the bandwagon and start singing right along the people that been doing it already.

SPAL

Quote from: Hogindasticks on December 11, 2017, 09:10:19 pm
It all stops when they prove it on the field.  Period.  If they do...then everyone will jump on the bandwagon and start singing right along the people that been doing it already.

No, they won't. You must be new here. That's not how this works.

PorkSoda

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on December 11, 2017, 09:13:14 pm
Petrino shut them up for the most part.  it was amazing, though, how many haters came out of the wood work the moment he crashed his motorcycle though. 
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Hogindasticks

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on December 11, 2017, 09:13:14 pm

If he wins 10 this year, you will be doing snow angels in his front yard.

Flrazrback

I believe the nay sayers are in for a surprise. Thinking the DC is already hired or at least committed but has not been announced because said Coach is playing a Bowl Game, possibly in the playoffs if indeed it is BV.  Based upon the recruits that have already committed to play Razorback football next year, plus the quality of the assistant coaches that have been hired thus far (based upon lreviwe are already MUCH improved and we haven't even