Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ben Herbert gone

Started by IronMountainHog, December 08, 2017, 01:47:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

IronMountainHog

Morris sent Body by Herb packing today. Good riddance I say. One of the biggest deficiencies of this team started with him.

pigz

When he first got here i thought we really had a good one. What happened to the freaks coming out?
You guys have a good time frig dancing

IronMountainHog

I can't name one team we pushed around, I can't name one team that didn't push us around.

RebelW

rzrbk4life

Let's call those hogs!!!!

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Best news I've heard today.  Body by Herb was a scam like Bielema
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

TomasPistola

It was impressive looking physiques, but no strength. Glad he's gone.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

havok

Quote from: IronMountainHog on December 08, 2017, 01:48:34 pm
I can't name one team we pushed around, I can't name one team that didn't push us around.

Agreed..

I think Herb was more into Body Sculpting instead of Strength, Power & Conditioning.    Seems like he wanted our guys to look good when they stepped off the bus, instead of looking good when stepping off the line of scrimmage at the snap.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: pigz on December 08, 2017, 01:48:24 pm
When he first got here i thought we really had a good one. What happened to the freaks coming out?

The Steaks came out...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

King Kong

I like Ben i don't think the issue. But Morris needs to bring his guys because this team will need more running to get ready for next year.

OnYourToes

He came in on fire, yelling, spitting, talking about a Deacon and eating right, encouraging the freaks to come out. . . .

But we never really saw the results on the field.  I do not believe there was any follow through, or excitement with each year; no progression in his work  outs, plans, diet approach, or excitement beyond the initial introduction.  I think he just expected the kids to take what he had to offer and let that be enough; he didn't adapt or continue his enthusiasm. 

All of these were marks of CBB and his tenure.

So happy to have new fire in this team, I hope they can carry the fire through year one and beyond.

Any thoughts on who will be the new S&C Coach?
Quote from: Fresh Legs on September 22, 2006, 09:56:48 am
Quote from: OnYourToes on September 22, 2006, 09:48:23 am
The wife's b-day was this past Tuesday, I got her a gift certifiacte for a message, she is going to redeem it Saturday, around 2:35ish.  I had it planned all along.  House to myself, game on, free to yell as loud as I can!!!!!

You sir are a genius!

TomasPistola

If we're going fast, he should hire Nolan. He'd get them in shape. :D
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

HawgTrough

maybe we won't have so many feet issues now
WPS

kellyc1925

Nolan would kill a lineman.  Actually kill them.

navyhog24

ipigsooie

Hire Gruden! Well the mini Gruden anyway.

hawgmasta

Herbert's career here was a strange one; he came in with a ton of accolades and his Wisconsin teams were pretty physical. Our guys had "transformations" but never seemed to be stronger and it was apparent at the combine.

I don't know if it could all be on Ben, whenever your squaring up against future 1st round D and O lineman in the SEC you can work out all day and still get pushed around.

Still. . . That was supposed to be a strength of his

UAGolfer1981

I believe S&C was one of our major issues.  I tracked player weight and speed (40 yd time) for every player that participated in NFL Pro Day during the past 5 years.  Every player gained weight and had posted a slower 40 yd time on Pro Days.  Developing players to be big and slow doesn't work in the SEC.

Also, have you noticed our fastest players have always been the newest players on the roster.

CCM must recruit players that fit his scheme and we must recruit SPEED over bulk.

BigE_23

Texas Tech & Texas in 2014...those are the only times I remember us physically dominating a P5 team. That said, I'm so glad that HerBERT is gone.

Seebs

I sent CCM my workout regime  #bodybyhostess
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

ICEman

Quote from: TomasPistola on December 08, 2017, 01:51:34 pm
He was creating bodybuilders who had little or no stamina.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

Porkys Revenge

Good. No more one legged, freaks come out at night broken feet issues. Still can't believe he had Williams do that. Injury waiting to happen.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: IronMountainHog on December 08, 2017, 01:47:14 pm
Morris sent Body by Herb packing today. Good riddance I say. One of the biggest deficiencies of this team started with him.

Amen and I agree!!!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ipigsooie

Gotta keep someone with arkansas ties to recruiting. Lunney is a hell of a recruiter. He stays imo. Also saw that he and morris were recruiting together this week.

BigE_23

Quote from: ICEman on December 08, 2017, 02:06:04 pm
He was creating bodybuilders who had little or no stamina.

I didn't see any bodybuilders...I saw guys that looked soft, especially along the lines.

navyhog24

Hopefully, a lot less broken feet now

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Seebs on December 08, 2017, 02:05:42 pm

Let me guess. You like Twinkies...................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Porkys Revenge

I think it was a bad decision to fatten up Alex Collins as well. He seemed much more shifty as a freshman than he did later in his career.

Jek Tono Porkins

I remember pushing Texas Tech around in 2014 but that's about it.

I remember looking at Herb's bio on the Arkansas website and even this year they talked about how he and Bielema's Wisconsin teams out scored teams in the 4th quarter by some ridiculous margin because of their physical conditioning. Sure as hell didn't happen here. In fact it was the complete opposite.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Uncommon

Quote from: UAGolfer1981 on December 08, 2017, 02:05:04 pm
Also, have you noticed our fastest players have always been the newest players on the roster.
That is true.  I watched a Ravens game not too far back and Alex Collins looks completely different than he did his last year here.  I think he's a lot more explosive now since he's dropped some weight.

PorkRinds

Stay classy hog fans.  The man is gone. No need to kick him as he's headed out the door.

SooieGeneris

Herb did a great job of building strength and muscle mass and getting rid of fat on some like Kiero Small.

Where he failed was in increasing speed while building strength or at least maintaining speed while gaining strength.

Too many times we've had players who, like the old saying, looked like Tarzan and played like Jane.

Phil Simms or someone who played in the NFL a long time was recently talking about missing tackles repeatedly is not just a result of the limits on practice time, but a lack of speed.

Herb's failures ultimately fall on Bert, who took until the last recruiting class for it to sink in how important speed is in the SEC.

I'm still not sure it fully sunk in or we would have seen the ball in TJH's hands more than 3-4 times a game if that.

I know not all these kids, 24-25 of them 4 star recruits coming in, were NOT all slow and sluggish when they got here, but too many of them played that way after a year or two in Herb's S&C program.

With a new HC who made the statement that "if you don't have speed, you're chasing speed and you don't want to be chasing speed" in his opening presser, look for that to be priority #1 as soon as recruiting wraps up.

Clemson is a fast team with SEC type talent. They play 2 or more SEC teams a year on average the last few years. I look for CM to follow their blue print and maybe hire their assistant S&C guy soon to come in and work on that immediately.

Whenever the off season program can start, get this going as the staff is out recruiting.

I don't think this team is slow, but they have played that way due to Herb and Bert's strength over speed philosophy.
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

fullfan

To keep todays theme going:  Herb's song would have been Slow Ride by Foghat.

Pig in the Pokey

;D ;D ;D
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on December 08, 2017, 02:09:27 pm
I think it was a bad decision to fatten up Alex Collins as well. He seemed much more shifty as a freshman than he did later in his career.

My favorite run he made while here though was when he ran over some would be KSU tacklers in the Liberty Bowl!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Seebs

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 08, 2017, 02:09:10 pm
Let me guess. You like Twinkies...................

DIng Dongs/King Dons, Suzy Q's, Cupcakes, Fruit Pies, Ho-Hos ... but no Snowballs and no twinkies.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

ricepig

Quote from: Seebs on December 08, 2017, 02:05:42 pm

You have to alternate with #bodybylittledebbie to ever get anywhere, goodness.....

wildturkey8

Didn't see anything wrong with Collins. The best back I've seen at finding the hole.

Uncommon

Quote from: Seebs on December 08, 2017, 02:17:51 pm
DIng Dongs/King Dons, Suzy Q's, Cupcakes, Fruit Pies, Ho-Hos ... but no Snowballs and no twinkies.
Fruit pies!  /thread

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Seebs on December 08, 2017, 02:17:51 pm

Never underestimate the greatness of a deep-fried Twinkie.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Hoggish1

This is good news.  We'll need to be much more fit going forward.  End of freaks coming out at night... 

Oklahawg

Quote from: UAGolfer1981 on December 08, 2017, 02:05:04 pm
I believe S&C was one of our major issues.  I tracked player weight and speed (40 yd time) for every player that participated in NFL Pro Day during the past 5 years.  Every player gained weight and had posted a slower 40 yd time on Pro Days.  Developing players to be big and slow doesn't work in the SEC.

CCM must recruit players that fit his scheme and we must recruit SPEED over bulk.

The speed thing with the combine is not unusual. Most Combine numbers drop, nationwide. All those sub-4.5 numbers disappear due to greater accuracy on the part of who is doing the timing.

That we seem to slow down as we added the appropriate weight is a problem that is not uncommon as well. Maybe we bulked up more than under other coaches and thus had more times slow down (if you don't add as much weight you'll not slow down as much). Nutt, for sure, was not opposed to keeping players smaller so they were faster.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

regi

Good! Not sure how this guy escaped criticism the way he did.  We started every season,  the same way.  Fat and slow. I know the program was Bert's,  but at some point,  your strength coach,  has to see this,  get with HC,  and figure out a new plan.

redeye

Been waiting for this thread.

Every time we hire a new coach, the new S&C coach is heralded as great and the old S&C coach was terrible.

Hoggish1

Quote from: redeye on December 08, 2017, 02:39:08 pm
Been waiting for this thread.

Every time we hire a new coach, the new S&C coach is heralded as great and the old S&C coach was terrible.

OK?  What is your verdict?

masbas3

Quote from: TomasPistola on December 08, 2017, 01:51:34 pm

Reminds me of going to the gym and seeing these guys all puffed up using such stuff as Creatine, it puffs them up but it doesn't give you anything in the way of strength.

nwahogfan1

I do not know this but I think Herb worked our kids in the weight room exactly like what BIG BB told him.  BB was the Boss.

BOAR_N2BWILD

I heard that he broke his foot walking out of the office.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?