Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CBB Buyout 11.8M

Started by BigK_HogHeaven, December 01, 2017, 03:20:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: HoginMemphis on December 01, 2017, 03:39:34 pm
Took the U of A and the RF for $32 million over 5 years. Feels like he stole it from the U of A. $2.9 million per SEC win. That's more than the net profit the U of A makes per game in Fayetteville.

Worst head coach in the history of Arkansas football. Glad he is gone.
thank goodness we are in the top 20 for profitable programs

PP

Farmer Hogget

Quote from: buldozer on December 01, 2017, 04:21:41 pm
This figure should be substantially reduced provided CBB finds another decent paying job sooner rather than later. Still there was a total disregard for the cost of the salary, benefits and future guarantees made to a total loser. The fans and citizens of AR are due a complete investigation of this matter once a new coach, AD and their staff is in place.

The citizens of AR are due nothing!  The coach is paid with private funds.  Go peddle your whinny griping "need investigation" crap somewhere else.

wachhog

Quote from: razorhog3 on December 01, 2017, 03:28:24 pm
exactly
And why he should have been run out of town on a rail.
Bielema was just the dumb oaf that he looks to be, or he would never have ruined his career. Long—there aren't words to describe him.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on December 01, 2017, 05:50:12 pm

PP
remember that 20 million fudge room in the bond purchase,  I think we know what that will be spent on
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

ricepig

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 01, 2017, 06:04:50 pm
remember that 20 million fudge room in the bond purchase,  I think we know what that will be spent on

Wait....what.....they can't be moving funds, that's a fireable offense!!

hog.goblin

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 01, 2017, 05:48:51 pm
I tried to tell folks that the DemGaz article was reading into it what wasn't there, but got told I lacked reading comprehension.

Reading what they wanted to see.

All will be fine as long as some of the larger donors and BOT members make a one-time contribution to the Razorback Foundation to pay for what they made sure happened.  I'm not saying CBB should be here, but as a BOT they should know they need to help fund the decisions they make.

hog.goblin

Quote from: ricepig on December 01, 2017, 06:08:18 pm
Wait....what.....they can't be moving funds, that's a fireable offense!!

rice, tell your boy Waldrip to kick in $5M.  I'll feel a little better about it in the morning.

hogcards

Quote from: HawgTide on December 01, 2017, 04:42:24 pm

Don't forget his obscene buyout. 4.6 million! How did he get a 4 year contract that automatically rolled over every year?

Did Long need that to help with recruiting? So much for integrity being his middle name

Two weeks ago there were people at this very site that claimed Long was doing a great job here.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

hogcards

He didn't "perform well" at choosing coaches.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

STLhawg

In that case, I dont see how anyone can call BB a "good man" if he fleeces Arkansas for that much money!!  A good man would take much less or even nothing like the former Oregon State coach. 

oldhawg

In a way, Bielema has bought himself another chance at proving himself as a effective college head coach.  He could sign with Florida State (or Ilisagvik College) for $100,000 a year, and that is all that would have be deducted from his payoff from Arkansas each year.  Some school willing to take a chance, and believe that he is better than what he showed at Arkansas, could hire him for a bargain basement amount.  Might be worth the chance at say Iowa, or Kansas State, or SMU, or Memphis, or Florida Atlantic, or the Air Force Academy, etc.  A three year contract, 100k a year, no buyout provision ---- Bielema gets another chance to prove his mettle, the gaining school does not have a lot to lose.

PorkSoda

Quote from: STLhawg on December 01, 2017, 06:44:21 pm
In that case, I dont see how anyone can call BB a "good man" if he fleeces Arkansas for that much money!!  A good man would take much less or even nothing like the former Oregon State coach. 
turning down 12 million to sit on is ass and eat friend chicken?  that would be "stupid man"
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Letsroll1200

hoglady

Quote from: cosmodrum on December 01, 2017, 03:32:15 pm
Now I want to rehire Long so we can fire him again.

No crap.
I don't know what in the world Long was thinking giving a 7-6 coach that type of buyout - it was ridiculous then and even more ridiculous now.
Anyone still feel sorry for Bret??
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hoglady

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on December 01, 2017, 03:32:22 pm
It does make me wonder how much we could have saved by waiting another year and not taking the 4-5th coach available who wants a shot in the SEC.

Worst that could have happened is a winning season.

Unless we've been "coach in hand" for a couple of weeks?  This was a gamble.

So far no one has taken a coach we would have been interested in or one that would have been interested in us.
Mullen, Jimbo Fisher and the guy Ms. St hired - none of them would have been a candidate at Arkansas.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

toxichog

Just curious..........does anybody really think that Gus, or any other top 25 coach will come to Arkansas without a big buyout (  competitive with the market rate ) in the contract?  If you just can't stand these buyouts........then you need to find another sport ( golf coaches don't have these big buyouts ) but they are a part of big time college football and basketball.  They also keep the coaches from jumping ship after two years to greener pastures.  It's called free market supply and demand capitalism..........what a great country !!!!!!

Somehow, I've noted so far that Bret hasn't appeared on anyones got to have list for any of the vacant HC jobs.  Don't believe he is a hot must have selection. 

Remember, the article said that Brets lawyer wanted the full 15 million and the BOT offered around 5 million and they settled on the 11.7, I believe.  Who knows what was actually the right legal number.  It appears our BOT/GOBN must have been happy to pay up.  And I agree that Bret should not have taken that much.  That so called very nice person robbed us in broad daylight and pushed our faces down in the mud doing so.  And the almighty Jeff Long, the AD of all ADs, screwed us over too.  Let us not forget that Nutt got us too.  This upper management group appears way to easy to steal from.  It is however, true that the regular Joe paid nothing on this.  BUT, that money could have been used far more successful in about 10,000 other ways and some of those ways could have helped we regular Joes.  How about every Kid in the care of the State get something decent for Christmas.  Instead we totally waste it on two Guys who never had a real chance to do us any good whatsoever and both are lowlife enough to take it.

seasonhog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on December 01, 2017, 05:50:12 pm

PP

Jimbo Fisher to A&M.......1o years....75mil

Would one think this is out of control.

East Clintwood

Quote from: Wildhog on December 01, 2017, 03:24:59 pm
Have to pay 11.8M to rid ourselves of a guy that went 11-29 in conference play, with an overall losing record.

Ouch.

Thank you Jeffy
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

East Clintwood

We'd probably owe him another $4mil for that.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: 12247 on December 01, 2017, 07:30:40 pm
Somehow, I've noted so far that Bret hasn't appeared on anyones got to have list for any of the vacant HC jobs.  Don't believe he is a hot must have selection. 

Remember, the article said that Brets lawyer wanted the full 15 million and the BOT offered around 5 million and they settled on the 11.7, I believe.  Who knows what was actually the right legal number.  It appears our BOT/GOBN must have been happy to pay up.  And I agree that Bret should not have taken that much.  That so called very nice person robbed us in broad daylight and pushed our faces down in the mud doing so.  And the almighty Jeff Long, the AD of all ADs, screwed us over too.  Let us not forget that Nutt got us too.  This upper management group appears way to easy to steal from.  It is however, true that the regular Joe paid nothing on this.  BUT, that money could have been used far more successful in about 10,000 other ways and some of those ways could have helped we regular Joes.  How about every Kid in the care of the State get something decent for Christmas.  Instead we totally waste it on two Guys who never had a real chance to do us any good whatsoever and both are lowlife enough to take it.
This was a hoot to read.  CBB robbed us huh?  Pretty sure he negotiated a contract, and was not the one that broke it.  Have a look at the sec west coach's salaries, Out of the 7 he was the second lowest paid.  Are you going to be griping if we get Malzahn as I'm sure his salary will prob be around 6 mil per year with an enormous buyout too.  The kiddies at Christmas was the cherry on top (I'm sure you were being sincere but seriously all these coaches are only getting richer)

STLhawg

Quote from: oldhawg on December 01, 2017, 06:54:08 pm
In a way, Bielema has bought himself another chance at proving himself as a effective college head coach.  He could sign with Florida State (or Ilisagvik College) for $100,000 a year
If a school like FSU were to do that then I'm fairly certain lawyers would get involved making the claim FSU isn't paying a reasonable salary that's within range of the going rate for such a school -- and we'd just lower his payments accordingly.

little pigee

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on December 01, 2017, 04:36:05 pm
do some of you not think his attorney went for the full amount because of the insensitivity of the asst ad in her pressor?  I mean did she have to really go through all of the details of when he was expected to turn in his stuff, or be out of his office.....just freakGood
Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on December 01, 2017, 04:36:05 pm
do some of you not think his attorney went for the full amount because of the insensitivity of the asst ad in her pressor?  I mean did she have to really go through all of the details of when he was expected to turn in his stuff, or be out of his office.....just freakin high school in my opinion.

that doesn't even cover the fact that she and she alone would be making the hc hire.

PP
in high school in my opinion.

that doesn't even cover the fact that she and she alone would be making the hc hire.

PP
Good points. 
It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

pigmania

While I love the current coaching search circus as much as anyone, I learned today that the main bread winners of 2 families that are friends of my family, lost their jobs, just 24 days before Christmas. Both families have kids to feed and mortgages to pay. So while we talk about the millions of dollars being paid out or offered to coaches around the country, just remember there are millions of Americans who struggle everyday living from paycheck to paycheck.

Aunt_Razorback

I have not posted anything on this forum in a year but I may have read just about every football post all year especially in these last few months. I'm sad and frustrated of all of the events that have taken place. (Really wanted BB to make it happen.) That being said your post made me laugh out loud and I just wanted to say thank you :)

johnny cash

HawgWyld

It does make me wonder how much we could have saved by waiting another year and not taking the 4-5th coach available who wants a shot in the SEC.

Actually, the worst thing that could have happened is that more fans would find something to do other than watch the Hogs lose every Saturday. Once Bielema lost the fans, it was time for him to go regardless of the cost.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

3mil per conference win, not even Saban makes that kind of money on a per-win basis!

Hoggish1

PorkerOinker

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on December 01, 2017, 04:00:51 pm
Sumlin didn't cost as much, we paid the most, in fired coaches

PP

Sumlin's 10 million buyout is 100% guaranteed even if he takes another job. At least when CBB takes another job we are off the hook.
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

3kgthog

Quote from: STLhawg on December 01, 2017, 06:44:21 pm

Would you? Honestly.

cal34

Well no wonder he was so nice and classy after he got fired.   He's got it made now.

VBMark

Quote from: HawgTide on December 01, 2017, 04:42:24 pm

Don't forget his obscene buyout. 4.6 million! How did he get a 4 year contract that automatically rolled over every year?

Did Long need that to help with recruiting? So much for integrity being his middle name

Common for college coaches to roll over every year for a new five year deal. It gets used in recruiting against you, if you don't have a rollover deal.
John L. Smith is so bad that he will laugh himself off the field

GTOWNHOG

The amount of money being paid to college football coaches is obscene.  The "buyouts" are even worse.  Unbelievably stupid way to run a program....
Good luck to ALL of our Razorback teams!!

EastexHawg

Again, the money line in this story is that Bielema got close to $12 million in buyout money, not the $4-$5 million that was suddenly "discovered" in his contract when the Long enablers were trying to keep Kermit the Nerd on the job.

How do people get away with lying through their teeth with no repercussions?

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: EastexHawg on December 01, 2017, 11:56:10 pm
Again, the money line in this story is that Bielema got close to $12 million in buyout money, not the $4-$5 million that was suddenly "discovered" in his contract when the Long enablers were trying to keep Kermit the Nerd on the job.

How do people get away with lying through their teeth with no repercussions?
But you wanted to keep BP who lied to his wife, his boss, and the entire State of Arkansas.  Also, every coach's contract is reviewed and approved by the RF which is paid by private donations. They wanted BB and Long fired and they new what it would cost. So, they had a choice to make. What I don't understand is the misplaced hate for JL and BB and not the RF. They honored their contract.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

panhandlepig

Quote from: GTOWNHOG on December 01, 2017, 11:37:38 pm
The amount of money being paid to college football coaches is obscene.  The "buyouts" are even worse.  Unbelievably stupid way to run a program....

Obscene is exactly the word that came into my head.  This is the new normal though.  We are no more stupider than our peers.  Not sure where this will end or what the result will be.

It will end at some point?  What is the ceiling for this kind of money?  Good lord. It's football.

STLhawg

Quote from: 3kgthog on December 01, 2017, 11:07:43 pm
Would you? Honestly.
No, I honestly don't believe I would have walked away with $12mil had I performed as poorly as BB has the last two years (and really most all his time here).  I wouldn't have been able to sleep at night knowing I fleeced my former employer that bad.  That said, I would feel that I deserved some severance -- $6mil would be plenty generous and give me time (a couple years) to find a new job without affecting my current lifestyle.  Instead this low-life huckster was demanding $15mil.  It just shows BB has no conscience and/or is an egomaniac that thinks WAY too highly of himself.

rusvegashog

Unless Gus is in hand it was beyond foolish.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: panhandlepig on December 02, 2017, 12:27:00 am
  Obscene is exactly the word that came into my head.  This is the new normal though.  We are no more stupider than our peers.  Not sure where this will end or what the result will be.

It will end at some point?  What is the ceiling for this kind of money?  Good lord. It's football.
It won't end until football ends. We want to give Gus twice as much as Bielema just stiffed the U of A for.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Torqued pork

"A man has gotta eat." Peyton Manning

Nosboar Accubond

The Jeff Long contract was more ridiculous, rolling over annually for perpetuity... that's not good business.

HogBreath

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on December 02, 2017, 12:12:25 am
But you wanted to keep BP who lied to his wife, his boss, and the entire State of Arkansas.  Also, every coach's contract is reviewed and approved by the RF which is paid by private donations. They wanted BB and Long fired and they new what it would cost. So, they had a choice to make. What I don't understand is the misplaced hate for JL and BB and not the RF. They honored their contract.
Bobby won big...Bert lost big....perhaps you can see how those are not alike?

And Long never should never have been allowed to handle Jessica gate, he obviously lacked the skill needed for such.  He was way out of his league and screwed the pooch from can to can't.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

LZH

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on December 01, 2017, 05:55:32 pm
The citizens of AR are due nothing!  The coach is paid with private funds.  Go peddle your whinny griping "need investigation" crap somewhere else.

So the AD isn't a state employee?

Broadway Rob

That's a valid point, but the financial hit the athletic department would have taken, had CBB been allowed to stay another year, might have been just as bad. 

There was a hurricane of protest and vitriol brewing and it was showing in the stands.  And those that did come, were getting tickets for next to free.  They couldn't survive an entire year of that in my opinion. 
Broadway Rob: December 05, 2017, 07:57:52 pm

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

rljjr

Look, Bielema's buyout goes down when he gets another job. It's been reported Long's buyout goes to $100K when he gets another job. So instead of $15M it's somewhere around $6M total (not chump change, but not out of bounds in college athletics).

People in power wanted both of them gone. They got rid of them. They took the risk that we could improve at both positions and swung for the fences. If they hit the home run they'll look like geniuses. If they miss, well, we'll still end up with a decent up-and-comer that should put butts in seats.

We will be just fine. At least we didn't sell our soul to the devil himself like the Aggies.

Broadway Rob

Quote from: rljjr on December 02, 2017, 06:43:18 am
Look, Bielema's buyout goes down when he gets another job. It's been reported Long's buyout goes to $100K when he gets another job. So instead of $15M it's somewhere around $6M total (not chump change, but not out of bounds in college athletics).

People in power wanted both of them gone. They got rid of them. They took the risk that we could improve at both positions and swung for the fences. If they hit the home run they'll look like geniuses. If they miss, well, we'll still end up with a decent up-and-comer that should put butts in seats.

We will be just fine. At least we didn't sell our soul to the devil himself like the Aggies.

You're assuming Bielema gets another job.  My guess is he sits out a year and then gets a job in a group of 5 conference to rebuild his rep.  Those jobs rarely pay more then a million. 

He will get a large percentage of his buyout in my opinion.
Broadway Rob: December 05, 2017, 07:57:52 pm

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

LZH

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 01, 2017, 06:56:42 pm
turning down 12 million to sit on is ass and eat friend chicken?  that would be "stupid man"

Ha! You said "friend chicken", that's almost as good as "french fires".

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on December 02, 2017, 05:48:36 am
So the AD isn't a state employee?

Sure, but his salary is guaranteed by the RF. Anybody working for the UofA, ASU, UCA, who makes more than the line item amount allowed by the state, is paid additional funds from a private source.

LZH

Quote from: cal34 on December 01, 2017, 11:21:35 pm
Well no wonder he was so nice and classy after he got fired.   He's got it made now.

He had it made the entire time he was here.