Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fair and balanced article on Coach B

Started by monty hawg, March 28, 2017, 08:32:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jcbville

Quote from: go hogues on March 28, 2017, 12:31:48 pm
He will not be fired, mainly because of the coaching market. I mean, LSU (LSU!) had to settle for Coach O, for crying out loud.

I've pointed this out before. Florida didn't hit a home run either. Arkansas damn sure will not be able to at this time.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 28, 2017, 10:15:12 am
Two years before Bielema arrived, Arkansas won 11 games and got to No. 3 in the BCS rankings.

LOL at the Give-Anderson-A-Lifetime-Contract-Poster posting about CBB.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

jcbville

I'll also add to the above conversation regarding the coaching market at this time.

Nick Saban and Alabama are hurting the SEC as a whole at this point. No one wants to come to the SEC and get brutalized by their fans and the competition trying to compete against the machine that is Nick Sabans Alabama right now.

factchecker

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 28, 2017, 10:56:54 am
From the article:

Consider: The state of Arkansas has produced 12 ESPN 300 players since Bielema was hired by the Razorbacks. The state of Florida had 49 in the 2017 class.

That pretty well sums it up.

Here is a question based off that stat:

When will Razorback fans who complain of "mediocrity" and poor recruiting realize that the problem is that they themselves are producing horrible and un-athletic football prospects in their own homes?

Why don't they take some of the effort they put to bitching on Hogville and get their out of shape kids outside the house and working on being better football players?

Why don't they work to fix the god awful high school football programs in Arkansas (primarily in Little Rock) via fundraising?

You want to make Razorback football better?  Make Arkansas footballl better.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

EastexHawg

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on March 28, 2017, 11:33:28 am
This is part of it, the 11 and 12 recruiting misses are still being overcome

We would still have players on the squad in 2017 from 2012, much less the 2011 class?  How many medical hardship years would that have to entail?

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 28, 2017, 04:42:39 pm
We would still have players on the squad in 2017 from 2012, much less the 2011 class?  How many medical hardship years would that have to entail?

We recruit in dog years.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on March 28, 2017, 11:39:29 am
Arkansas, in my 47 season of life has won more than 8 a total of 17 times, with 5 of those 17 belonging to Hatfield. The only coach to average more than 8 wins per season in that span was Hatfield, and many will claim his #'s were inflated by playing in a dying SWC.

Keep doing what you always doing and you'll keep getting what you always get.

By the way, Hatfield wasn't the only coach to average 8 wins or more per season.  34/8 = 8.5, and that was in the SEC.  That included a 5-7 first year, so for the last three the average was 9.7.  I know, I know, incredible luck, once in a lifetime class of Arkansas recruits, SEC only won four national championships among three different programs during those years, etc.

BigE_23

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 28, 2017, 04:49:17 pm
Keep doing what you always doing and you'll keep getting what you always get.

By the way, Hatfield wasn't the only coach to average 8 wins or more per season.  34/8 = 8.5, and that was in the SEC.  That included a 5-7 first year, so for the last three the average was 9.7.  I know, I know, incredible luck, once in a lifetime class of Arkansas recruits, SEC only won four national championships among three different programs during those years, etc.
But still, proof that it can be done...at Arkansas, with Arkansas talent.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: BigE_23 on March 28, 2017, 04:55:40 pm

Quote from: factchecker on March 28, 2017, 04:39:44 pm

When will Razorback fans who complain of "mediocrity" and poor recruiting realize that the problem is that they themselves are producing horrible and un-athletic football prospects in their own homes?

Why don't they take some of the effort they put to bitching on Hogville and get their out of shape kids outside the house and working on being better football players?

Why don't they work to fix the god awful high school football programs in Arkansas (primarily in Little Rock) via fundraising?

Go Hogs Go!

jlhogfan

Well dang, poor CBB, he just never had a chance, did he? Blame the Arkansas Fans

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jlhogfan on March 28, 2017, 05:44:00 pm

Well dang, poor CBB, he just never had a chance, did he? Blame the Arkansas Fans

Here was the point.

Quote from: PorkRinds on Today at 10:56:54 am

From the article:

Consider: The state of Arkansas has produced 12 ESPN 300 players since Bielema was hired by the Razorbacks. The state of Florida had 49 in the 2017 class.

Go Hogs Go!

hawginbigd1

March 28, 2017, 05:54:47 pm #111 Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 06:05:28 pm by hawginbigd1
Quote from: EastexHawg on March 28, 2017, 04:42:39 pm
How many JUCO bodies have we brought in to fill holes from 2011 and 2012 who are gone now (you know if you didn't need them then, you could have had Jr's and Srs for next season in those slots) , and yes we could have had several players this past season as 5th year Srs. from 2012. We have to play the long game in recruiting because we aren't going to fill up on 5 * players. Last year was as close as we have come to only playing the recruits that need to be playing.

Literally 13 solid contributors from those 2 classes and a couple were questionable.

jlhogfan

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 28, 2017, 05:47:41 pm
Here was the point.

Quote from: PorkRinds on Today at 10:56:54 am

From the article:

Everybody (well at least on Hogville), knows that.  We know Arkansas doesn't produce a lot of talent, we know where the University is located, etc.., its been that way forever.  If they are not in Arkansas, GO GET THEM FROM SOMEWHERE ELSE!  Now everybody hit me with the 300 mile radius crap and say that it has never been accomplished and never will, do not expect 10 win seasons, embrace mediocrity.  I always wonder how the "expectation" discussion goes between recruiters and players coming to Arkansas.

factchecker

Quote from: jlhogfan on March 28, 2017, 05:55:08 pm
If they are not in Arkansas, GO GET THEM FROM SOMEWHERE ELSE! 

We are.  Under Bielema we have recruited better than any other coach.

2002: 25  http://247sports.com/Season/2002-Football/CompositeTeamRankings
2003: 42  http://247sports.com/Season/2003-Football/CompositeTeamRankings
2004: 24  http://247sports.com/Season/2004-Football/CompositeTeamRankings
2005: 28  http://247sports.com/Season/2005-Football/CompositeTeamRankings
2006: 25  http://247sports.com/Season/2006-Football/CompositeTeamRankings
2007: 38  http://247sports.com/Season/2007-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

Houston Nutt's Average Recruiting Class(final 6 cycles):  30.3

2008: 27  http://247sports.com/Season/2008-Football/CompositeTeamRankings
2009: 21  http://247sports.com/Season/2009-Football/CompositeTeamRankings
2010: 41  http://247sports.com/Season/2010-Football/CompositeTeamRankings
2011: 21  http://247sports.com/Season/2011-Football/CompositeTeamRankings
2012: 28  http://247sports.com/Season/2012-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

Bobby Petrino's Average Recruiting Class: 27.6

2013: 23  http://247sports.com/Season/2013-Football/CompositeTeamRankings
2014: 29  http://247sports.com/Season/2014-Football/CompositeTeamRankings
2015: 23  http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CompositeTeamRankings
2016: 26  http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/CompositeTeamRankings
2017: 28  http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

Bret Bielema's Average Recruiting Class: 25.8

We've pulled kids from Colorado, Florida, Minnesota..... all over the country.

The problem is that we are recruiting against the best of the best and the best already sit in fertile recruiting grounds.

Would hurt for our home state to actually start producing a good amount of talent?  Give your kids a squat rack and protein powder in place of McDonalds and video games.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

WilsonHog

If it doesn't work out for Bret here, no one is going to have to fire him. He will leave on his own for a better job.

How? By playing the "look what I was able to do at a place like Arkansas" card. People in the industry will look at his success at Wisconsin, our membership in the SEC West, and our recruiting base, and decide that he makes a pretty good argument.

factchecker

poor (insert any Razorback coach here)

It's funny how fans want to be "realist" but fail to be realistic with low level of in-state talent.  You can take a dump on the coach, team, and university but can't point out the shortcomings of this state and it's "wonderful" fans.

You don't like the truth?  Fix it.  Quit accepting mediocrity in your own home while having a higher standard for the Razorbacks.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jlhogfan on March 28, 2017, 05:55:08 pm
Everybody (well at least on Hogville), knows that.  We know Arkansas doesn't produce a lot of talent, we know where the University is located, etc.., its been that way forever.  If they are not in Arkansas, GO GET THEM FROM SOMEWHERE ELSE!  Now everybody hit me with the 300 mile radius crap and say that it has never been accomplished and never will, do not expect 10 win seasons, embrace mediocrity.  I always wonder how the "expectation" discussion goes between recruiters and players coming to Arkansas.

I think if you look at the roster, they are doing that very thing.
Go Hogs Go!

factchecker

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 28, 2017, 06:11:56 pm
I think if you look at the roster, they are doing that very thing.

And there is a good portion of fans who bitch about us going out of state anyways.  I've actually heard someone say they rather have a team full of 2 star kids from Arkansas because they will "play harder".
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: factchecker on March 28, 2017, 06:15:06 pm
And there is a good portion of fans who bitch about us going out of state anyways.  I've actually heard someone say they rather have a team full of 2 star kids from Arkansas because they will "play harder".

I love seeing Arkansas kids on the roster, but if in the evaluation process they don't exhibit all of the traits that this staff is seeking (including potential development) in terms of our positions of need, then the focus should be shifted to wherever we need to go to find the talent level that we need. It would be great if we had the population of Florida, Georgia, Texas etc. to draw from, but...ain't the case. And if Arkansas HS coaches want to hold it against Arkansas that they feel they have to look elsewhere, then that is probably a bridge that needs to be repaired by Lunney. In fact, I wish they would cut his Dad a deal where he could "consult" in recruiting. Barry is a great guy and a solid coach and well respected among those who coach in La, OK, Mo, north Texas and of course, Arkansas.
Go Hogs Go!

factchecker

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 28, 2017, 06:36:31 pm
Barry is a great guy and a solid coach and well respected among those who coach in La, OK, Mo, north Texas and of course, Arkansas.

100% TRUTH.  Barry has a very important attribute that in state coaches respect.  Honesty.  He is upfront with in state kids and tells them where they stand in terms of receiving a scholarship.  This is the reason I was upset about Byers lying about not knowing why he wasn't offered.  He knew why. Everyone (except the "realists") knew why.  Just be honest.

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

I'd like to add that there is one school who is working hard to reverse the trend.  Robinson High is doing an amazing job of getting their student athletes ready for the next level.  We have 3 Senators (T.J. Hammonds, Koilan Jackson, and David Porter) on the roster.

If you want to help them continue to develop you can donate here and help raise $50,000.00 to purchase additional strength and conditioning gear.

https://www.robinsonchampioncenter.org/
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: factchecker on March 28, 2017, 06:40:22 pm
100% TRUTH.  Barry has a very important attribute that in state coaches respect.  Honesty.  He is upfront with in state kids and tells them where they stand in terms of receiving a scholarship.  This is the reason I was upset about Byers lying about not knowing why he wasn't offered.  He knew why. Everyone (except the "realists") knew why.  Just be honest.

Well Barry, Jr. Is a great guy too, but I was referring to his Dad.
Go Hogs Go!

factchecker

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 28, 2017, 06:46:42 pm
Well Barry, Jr. Is a great guy too, but I was referring to his Dad.

Ha ha. My bad.  I saw Barry and had to say what a good a guy junior was.

I never got to meet the father but I've heard nothing but great things.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

tophawg19

Two years before Bielema arrived, Arkansas won 11 games and got to No. 3 in the BCS rankings.
yet you're one of those whining about how MA deserves more time . Even though he's had more than CBB
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: factchecker on March 28, 2017, 06:50:06 pm
Ha ha. My bad.  I saw Barry and had to say what a good a guy junior was.

I never got to meet the father but I've heard nothing but great things.

I've known his Dad since he had hair, and a lot of it. ;)
Go Hogs Go!

jlhogfan

Quote from: factchecker on March 28, 2017, 06:09:29 pm
poor (insert any Razorback coach here)

It's funny how fans want to be "realist" but fail to be realistic with low level of in-state talent.  You can take a dump on the coach, team, and university but can't point out the shortcomings of this state and it's "wonderful" fans.

You don't like the truth?  Fix it.  Quit accepting mediocrity in your own home while having a higher standard for the Razorbacks.

What the heck are you talking about, my expectations in my home (or family), if you want to go there; that has nothing to do with the Hogs; or are you just pissed off at Hogville posters

factchecker

March 28, 2017, 10:13:29 pm #126 Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 11:50:52 pm by factchecker
Quote from: jlhogfan on March 28, 2017, 08:08:31 pm
What the heck are you talking about, my expectations in my home (or family), if you want to go there; that has nothing to do with the Hogs; or are you just pissed off at Hogville posters

The YOU in the statement is a collective noun.  It has nothing to do with you (personally) but self proclaimed "realist" Razorback fans.

If you are offended by my statement that Arkansas has lower in-state talent than the majority of the SEC then prove me wrong.

You got yourself involved because you wanted to defend "Arkansas Fans". 

Every coach from Petrino to Bielema to any future Razorback football coach will fight an uphill battle due to the poor amount of in state talent.

You also said that we need to get some from out of state..... which we do.  Minnesota, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Texas, Louisiana, Kentucky, Missouri, Oklahoma etc. are all represented on our roster.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Letsroll1200

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 28, 2017, 06:55:47 pm
yet you're one of those whining about how MA deserves more time . Even though he's had more than CBB

Number 3 in the country and finished number 5. This statement was in the article. All Bret has to do is win 4 SEC games and go undefeated in the weak non conference games. 8 wins every year. Can Bret go 4-5 in the SEC?

factchecker

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 29, 2017, 12:23:01 am
Can Bret go 4-5 in the SEC?

I'm not sure what you are asking here?  There is only 8 conference games a season.  Beyond that we went 5-3 in the SEC in 2015.

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Letsroll1200

Quote from: factchecker on March 29, 2017, 01:58:29 am
I'm not sure what you are asking here?  There is only 8 conference games a season.  Beyond that we went 5-3 in the SEC in 2015.

Great!! Just go .500 in the SEC and win all the non conference games. I don't expect Bobby type results from Bret. That would be unfair to expect him to win like Bobby. If he can go 4-4 every year in the SEC he's going to be beloved by most Razorback fans.

ChitownHawg

And immediately after that high ranking was this:

PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

hogcard1964

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 28, 2017, 06:08:29 pm
If it doesn't work out for Bret here, no one is going to have to fire him. He will leave on his own for a better job.

How? By playing the "look what I was able to do at a place like Arkansas" card. People in the industry will look at his success at Wisconsin, our membership in the SEC West, and our recruiting base, and decide that he makes a pretty good argument.

No offense, but if he does finally build a consistent top program here, it would in fact be "working out for Bret".

jkstock04

Quote from: monty hawg on March 28, 2017, 08:32:29 am
http://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/128265/the-curiouscomplicated-case-of-bret-bielema-in-2017
Reads like something from 2003. Arkansas is right back where they are "supposed" to be. Know your place and be happy where you are type stuff.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 29, 2017, 08:03:27 am
Reads like something from 2003. Arkansas is right back where they are "supposed" to be. Know your place and be happy where you are type stuff.

That wasn't what I got from that article at all. More like, difficult to accurately evaluate Bielema's performance so far, the jury is still out.
Go Hogs Go!

hogsanity

Quote from: BigE_23 on March 28, 2017, 04:55:40 pm

When Arkansas talent includes more NFL draftees at skill positions than any class before or since. I mean Warren, a town of about 5k, produced three nfl draftees in one class.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Have heard/seen that multiple times. I always love the calls on the radio shows that go something like : " I was wondering why in tarnation that carpet bagger Bert BUllemia ain't looking at Johnny Jack Bill Bob Snizzlesnort from rural special 4. I mean he tore up the field last week agaist one stop sign tech consolidated. He ran for 400 yards and 9 touchdowns. Now I know one stop sign only had 7 players, but still , Johhny has heart and he wants to be a Hog. I guess Bert Bullmeria just thinks he is too good to recruit a 5'3" 115 kid from rural Arkansas. "
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 29, 2017, 12:23:01 am
Number 3 in the country and finished number 5. This statement was in the article. All Bret has to do is win 4 SEC games and go undefeated in the weak non conference games. 8 wins every year. Can Bret go 4-5 in the SEC?

Well, if we are going to use a one or 2 season set of data from one coach to put expectations on another, then in basketball NC and runner up, so it can be done. All Mike has to do is make the NCAAT  and he's only done that twice in 6 seasons.

jkstock04

I sort of fall in that category. If we have to choose between a 2 star in state player vs a 2 star player 1000 miles away....I say take the in state player every single time.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Letsroll1200

Quote from: hogsanity on March 29, 2017, 08:39:11 am
Have heard/seen that multiple times. I always love the calls on the radio shows that go something like : " I was wondering why in tarnation that carpet bagger Bret BUllemia ain't looking at Johnny Jack Bill Bob Snizzlesnort from rural special 4. I mean he tore up the field last week agaist one stop sign tech consolidated. He ran for 400 yards and 9 touchdowns. Now I know one stop sign only had 7 players, but still , Johhny has heart and he wants to be a Hog. I guess Bret Bullmeria just thinks he is too good to recruit a 5'3" 115 kid from rural Arkansas. "

Arkansas always has to go out of state to attract recruits. Lack of talent did not lose to Missouri and Virginia Tech. Arkansas is a school that you have to be good at things you can control. Coach Bret can not control the lack of recruits coming out of the state of Arkansas but he has a lot of control when it comes to losing double digit leads against a bad Missouri team and a average Virginia Tech team. When things start rolling down hill for this football team the coaching staff struggled at making winning adjustments.

hogsanity

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 29, 2017, 08:50:08 am
Arkansas always has to go out of state to attract recruits. Lack of talent did not lose to Missouri and Virginia Tech. Arkansas is a school that you have to be good at things you can control. Coach Bret can not control the lack of recruits coming out of the state of Arkansas but he has a lot of control when it comes to losing double digit leads against a bad Missouri team and a average Virginia Tech team. When things start rolling down hill for this football team the coaching staff struggled at making winning adjustments.

Lack of talent plays into just about every loss by every team, especially in football. And I am not just talking about the Hogs in that statement. No, Mizzu was not more talented than the Hogs overall, but at the Mizzu wr's were better than the Hogs db's. Even in the 1st half, they dropped a sure td, and had two more drops that would have put them in the red zone, AND the Qb over threw two wide open receivers behind the Hogs D in the 1st half as well. In the 2nd half they did not drop the ball and he did not miss receivers. Couple that with the Hogs O going dormant, and they lost a game they should not have.

But, from an overall season standpoint, the lack of talent has/was/will be what keeps the Hogs from more than once every 10 years or so challenging for a sec title, and that lack of talent starts with how talent poor the state of AR is. It is not just that it is talent poor, it is that the talent it does produce is almost always at the same positions.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 29, 2017, 08:49:25 am
I sort of fall in that category. If we have to choose between a 2 star in state player vs a 2 star player 1000 miles away....I say take the in state player every single time.

I cannot believe you are even making that comparison.
Go Hogs Go!

Letsroll1200

Quote from: hogsanity on March 29, 2017, 08:42:09 am
Well, if we are going to use a one or 2 season set of data from one coach to put expectations on another, then in basketball NC and runner up, so it can be done. All Mike has to do is make the NCAAT  and he's only done that twice in 6 seasons.

I didn't make the statement but it was mentioned in the article. Houston and Bobby coach teams all had a season or two where the Razorbacks where competing on a national level. Bret has yet to have that season where the hogs were a top 10  type of team. Maybe this will be the season were the hogs are able to show some signs of being competitive on a high level.  I don't think fans are being unreasonable to expect a 10-11 win season once every five years. I think the minimum expectation is to finish 4-4 in the SEC every year. You schedule 3 money/automatic win games. If you beat the middle of the pack power 5 school most seasons than you are at 8 wins before the bowl game.

GoHogzzGo

Certainly Arkansas HS football is not perfect but there is no cause to disparage them to this extent. Arkansas ranks 14th per capita in producing D1 talent. Arkansas just has a small population. We are right behind Texas and ahead of Oklahoma. Could be better, but Arkansas is not some outlier producing more unathletic prospects then most others.

I do absolutely agree in working to improve Ark HS football through fundraising or whatever, especially Little Rock, to get more D1 players.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/sec-states-produce-tons-of-fbs-talent/
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

jkstock04

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 29, 2017, 08:59:38 am
I cannot believe you are even making that comparison.
Why? We have seen scenarios like that happen at Arkansas. I'm not a hometown homer that thinks cause I know so and sos kid and he ran for 400 yards against Pea Ridge he ought to get a scholarship.

I'm just saying if we are in a position where we strike out against choice #1 and #2 recruit and have to take a chance on the "diamond in the rough" type I say give it to an Arkansas kid who is a lifelong Hog fan who will play his guts out.

Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Letsroll1200

Quote from: hogsanity on March 29, 2017, 08:57:54 am
Lack of talent plays into just about every loss by every team, especially in football. And I am not just talking about the Hogs in that statement. No, Mizzu was not more talented than the Hogs overall, but at the Mizzu wr's were better than the Hogs db's. Even in the 1st half, they dropped a sure td, and had two more drops that would have put them in the red zone, AND the Qb over threw two wide open receivers behind the Hogs D in the 1st half as well. In the 2nd half they did not drop the ball and he did not miss receivers. Couple that with the Hogs O going dormant, and they lost a game they should not have.

But, from an overall season standpoint, the lack of talent has/was/will be what keeps the Hogs from more than once every 10 years or so challenging for a sec title, and that lack of talent starts with how talent poor the state of AR is. It is not just that it is talent poor, it is that the talent it does produce is almost always at the same positions.

How did Bobby manage to be compete at Arkansas at a high level?  I don't want to hear about the kids from Warren because J. Wright, G. Childs, and C. Gragg did not tackle anybody. Somehow scheme has a lot to do with winning and losing in the SEC. Arkansas has always produced a high skill level player on offense. Arkansas will give you a special running back or Wide receiver every two years. Arkansas has produced guys that are equivalent ( TJ Hammonds, KJ Hill, CJ O'Grady, Will Gragg) to the Warren 3 since Bret has been at the school. Bret has failed to evaluate and bring in a undersized but special player at the LB position. Houston went out and got guys like Tony Bua and Sam Olajubutu. Bobby got a running back in high school by the name of Jerico Nelson and converted him into a solid leader and linebacker.  That's has largely been the difference between Houston, Bobby and Bret.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 29, 2017, 09:12:32 am
Why? We have seen scenarios like that happen at Arkansas. I'm not a hometown homer that thinks cause I know so and sos kid and he ran for 400 yards against Pea Ridge he ought to get a scholarship.

I'm just saying if we are in a position where we strike out against choice #1 and #2 recruit and have to take a chance on the "diamond in the rough" type I say give it to an Arkansas kid who is a lifelong Hog fan who will play his guts out.

I don't care where they are from. Go get the best kid that fits our needs whether he is a 3 star from China or Arkansas.
Go Hogs Go!

jkstock04

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 29, 2017, 09:17:03 am
I don't care where they are from. Go get the best kid that fits our needs whether he is a 3 star from China or Arkansas.
That sounds warm and cuddly but that's not always the case here and you know it. What % of the time do you think we get the best kid out there to fit our needs?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 29, 2017, 09:21:30 am
That sounds warm and cuddly but that's not always the case here and you know it. What % of the time do you think we get the best kid out there to fit our needs?

I'm talking about settling for a kid from Arkansas just because they are from Arkansas and not because they are the best kid that we can get that fits our needs. Get the best kid we can get regardless of where they are from. If that is Arkansas, fine. But not just because they are from Arkansas.
Go Hogs Go!

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on March 29, 2017, 08:39:11 am
Have heard/seen that multiple times. I always love the calls on the radio shows that go something like : " I was wondering why in tarnation that carpet bagger Bret BUllemia ain't looking at Johnny Jack Bill Bob Snizzlesnort from rural special 4. I mean he tore up the field last week agaist one stop sign tech consolidated. He ran for 400 yards and 9 touchdowns. Now I know one stop sign only had 7 players, but still , Johhny has heart and he wants to be a Hog. I guess Bret Bullmeria just thinks he is too good to recruit a 5'3" 115 kid from rural Arkansas. "

I'm sure there is some of that.  It is hard to take the talent evaluators on this board seriously when they start talking about what can and can't be done at Arkansas.  A few years ago they were all gung ho about a QB from a tiny school and high school classification in Missouri.  When I mentioned that I had seen the Texas high school Player of the Year and that he could probably be had with an offer from our staff, I was told that "Coach is on better prospects".  Not only that, these experts said, sight unseen, that he was nothing more than a running QB who wouldn't be able to "out-athlete" the competition in college.

That QB's name was Patrick Mahomes.  Who was the Missouri QB and what did he do in college?

Those aren't the only examples.  Every QB we have signed or transferred in has been lauded as a stud.  In reality Coach Bielema's best QB to date was a leftover from the previous staff.  Before that, we got Tyler Wilson after Nutt passed on him.  No coach can affect who graduates from high school in a given year, but evaluating the possibilities in order to decide who to offer, then coaching them into D-1 players can be controlled.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 29, 2017, 09:29:43 am
I'm sure there is some of that.  It is hard to take the talent evaluators on this board seriously when they start talking about what can and can't be done at Arkansas.  A few years ago they were all gung ho about a QB from a tiny school and high school classification in Missouri.  When I mentioned that I had seen the Texas high school Player of the Year and that he could probably be had with an offer from our staff, I was told that "Coach is on better prospects".  Not only that, these experts said, sight unseen, that he was nothing more than a running QB who wouldn't be able to "out-athlete" the competition in college.

That QB's name was Patrick Mahomes.  Who was the Missouri QB and what did he do in college?

Those aren't the only examples.  Every QB we have signed or transferred in has been lauded as a stud.  In reality Coach Bielema's best QB to date was a leftover from the previous staff.  Before that, we got Tyler Wilson after Nutt passed on him.  No coach can affect who graduates from high school in a given year, but evaluating the possibilities in order to decide who to offer, then coaching them into D-1 players can be controlled.

Mahomes was at Texas Tech