Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coaching Changes

Started by WilsonHog, March 24, 2017, 07:18:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

March 24, 2017, 07:18:29 am Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 10:59:18 pm by WilsonHog
Arkansas State - Grant McCasland (North Texas). IN - Mike Balado (Asst., Louisville).

Austin Peay - Dave Loos (Retired). IN - Matt Figger (Asst., South Carolina).

California - Cuonzo Martin (Missouri). IN - Wyking Jones (Asst., Cal).

Dayton - Archie Miller (Indiana). IN - Anthony Grant (Asst., Oklahoma City).

Georgetown - John Thompson III (Fired). IN - Patrick Ewing (Asst., Charlotte Bobcats).

George Washington - Mike Lonergan (Fired). IN - Maurice Joseph (Interim).

Illinois - John Groce (Fired). IN - Brad Underwood (Oklahoma State).

Indiana - Tom Crean (Fired). IN - Archie Miller (Dayton).

LSU - Johnny Jones (Fired). IN - Will Wade (Virginia Commonwealth).

Massachusetts - Derek Kellogg (Fired). IN - Matt McCall (UT-Chattanooga).

Missouri - Kim Anderson (Fired). IN - Cuonzo Martin (California).

NC State - Mark Gottfried (Fired). IN - Kevin Keatts (UNC-Wilmington).

North Texas - Tony Benford (Fired). IN - Grant McCasland (Arkansas State).

Oklahoma State - Brad Underwood (Illinois). IN - Mike Boynton (Asst., Oklahoma State).

Rice - Mike Rhodes (VCU). IN - Scott Pera (Asst., Rice).

South Florida - Orlando Antigua (Fired). IN - Brian Gregory (Consultant, Michigan State).

UC-Santa Barbara - Bob Williams (Fired). IN - Joe Pasternack (Asst., Arizona).

UNC-Wilmington - Kevin Keatts (NC State). IN - CB McGrath (Asst., North Carolina).

VCU - Will Wade (LSU). IN - Mike Rhoades (Rice).

Washington - Lorenzo Romar (Fired). IN - Mike Hopkins (Asst., Syracuse).   

WilsonHog

Four jobs of note are still open - Cal, Georgetown, Indiana, and Oklahoma State.

blu

Martin to Mizzou is good for Mizzou and good for the SEC. He seems like a class guy and has been a consistent winner.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

SpaCityHawg

UMASS- Kellogg out - Kelsey in - Kelsey out  ????? in

ChicoHog

Based on what was said about Underwood's salary Okie st (around 1M)  the Cowboys need to pony up to get their next guy.  1M for a power conference team is not very much these days. 

SpaCityHawg

I guess you don't have to pony up when you promote an assistant coach.

Hogginintheville

Hey I know nobody wants it but Duquesne is open as well. They have already had 4 people turn it down. It might be about time to offer it to Pelphrey.

FrankCourtneyNicodemus

UNM - most desirable opening right now?

WilsonHog

Note that over half of the open jobs were filled by assistant coaches. The flashiest hire was either Cuonzo Martin by Missouri or Archie Miller by Indiana. Something to think about.

Atlhogfan1

Underwood going to Illinois.  2 of those assts are recent head coaches and Georgetown thinks they have to keep it in the family.  IU, ILL and Mizzou lured away head coaches.  Ok St must want to save $. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

pigture perfect

Patrick Ewing going to Georgetown. Lol
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

ShadowHawg

Quote from: WilsonHog on April 03, 2017, 11:00:58 pm
Note that over half of the open jobs were filled by assistant coaches. The flashiest hire was either Cuonzo Martin by Missouri or Archie Miller by Indiana. Something to think about.

It's hardly to hire established coaches away from their current schools. Especially if it's a p5 school.

It's why all the who could hire threads around here are such jokes.

Hawg Red

Looks like Tom Crean will be without a coaching job this coming season.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 04, 2017, 07:35:43 am
Looks like Tom Crean will be without a coaching job this coming season.

He needs to be as selective as possible.  A mid tier program with some potential for a certain level of success will probably be available to him in the not so distant future.  At 51, he still has 15-20 years left in him and could work his way back.  He's younger than Pearl, Howland and Barnes. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 04, 2017, 08:08:07 am
He needs to be as selective as possible.  A mid tier program with some potential for a certain level of success will probably be available to him in the not so distant future.  At 51, he still has 15-20 years left in him and could work his way back.  He's younger than Pearl, Howland and Barnes.

I agree. Just looking at coaches who could be on the hot seat....Kevin Ollie (UConn), Leonard Hamilton (FSU - maybe not hot seat but he's about to turn 69), Brad Brownell (Clemson), Jim Christian (Boston College), Bruce Weber (Kansas State), Dave Leitao (DePaul), Thad Matta (Ohio State), Steve Fisher (San Diego State - might be retiring), Mark Fox (Georgia), Ernie Kent (Washington State).

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 04, 2017, 08:22:11 am
I agree. Just looking at coaches who could be on the hot seat....Kevin Ollie (UConn), Leonard Hamilton (FSU - maybe not hot seat but he's about to turn 69), Brad Brownell (Clemson), Jim Christian (Boston College), Bruce Weber (Kansas State), Dave Leitao (DePaul), Thad Matta (Ohio State), Steve Fisher (San Diego State - might be retiring), Mark Fox (Georgia), Ernie Kent (Washington State).

Georgia is another sleeping giant in the SEC. That state puts out talent every year. If they ever hire a good recruiter, watch out.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 04, 2017, 10:17:31 am
Georgia is another sleeping giant in the SEC. That state puts out talent every year. If they ever hire a good recruiter, watch out.

I've thought this but it just doesn't change.  They built a great practice facility 10 years ago.  Updated their arena from crappy.  UGa's athletic brand and draw is still football for both fan support and in state recruiting interest.  Basketball brand with recruits is weak.  Combine with the competition from the ACC programs in the area and other programs who come in and UGa gets lost. 

I've linked a good discussion about UGa basketball.  The right coach to recruit well at UGa is probably out there.  But what is most important to the athletic department is don't get in trouble doing it.  Don't bring the NCAA around.  Can't have anything affecting the football program.  Pretty typical of this region.  Try to win, give us something to pass the time between football and baseball and football signing day and Spring football. 

If UGa had a real interest in basketball, they would have built a new arena like SC did.  I'm sure they thought the practice facility may would help to compete for recruits.  But they need more.  If they care enough to truly invest. 

https://www.dawgnation.com/mens-basketball/good-georgia-basketball