Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tony Benford

Started by Hawg Red, March 06, 2017, 09:02:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg Red

Really not trying to stir anything up here, and I'm definitely NOT calling for any staff changes, but Porked Tongue did say a few weeks ago that there would be some movement on the staff. Believe he said definitely one move, possibly two. So that is where I'm coming from with this. If there's already a move in the works, I think Tony Benford would be a great addition to the staff. He was just let go by North Texas. He's a good recruiter with strong Texas ties. Again, I'm not saying anyone should or needs to go from the current staff, but it was said by someone who has proven to have inside knowledge that a staff change is coming. Might as well maximize.

Timfromlittlerockhog

I don't think upgrading is ever a bad idea. And its NOT stirring things up to talk about it. I'd love to see an ACE recruiter on this staff. Wouldn't hurt with the football team either.

HF#1

I'm not going to pretend to know anything about college basketball assistants. However, it seems like Mike is gravitating towards former players.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Timfromlittlerockhog

Quote from: HF#1 on March 06, 2017, 09:05:05 am
I'm not going to pretend to know anything about college basketball assistants. However, it seems like Mike is gravitating towards former players.

Frankly I LOVE to see the University take care of its former players. Especially the superstars like Scotty. You just have too. You can't sell recruits otherwise. And I don't keep up with assistant coaches that much either. But I do know that this staff could use a guy who can recruit OUTSIDE of Arkansas. We have got some kids from some of Mikes stomping grounds like S Bama and Missouri, but we haven't been able to attract the big name players from outside the state. Honestly we've even struggled to get a few big names from inside of it. An ace recruiter and a deep tournament run could really pay big dividends now.

HF#1

Quote from: Timfromlittlerockhog on March 06, 2017, 09:09:57 am
Frankly I LOVE to see the University take care of its former players. Especially the superstars like Scotty. You just have too. You can't sell recruits otherwise. And I don't keep up with assistant coaches that much either. But I do know that this staff could use a guy who can recruit OUTSIDE of Arkansas. We have got some kids from some of Mikes stomping grounds like S Bama and Missouri, but we haven't been able to attract the big name players from outside the state. Honestly we've even struggled to get a few big names from inside of it. An ace recruiter and a deep tournament run could really pay big dividends now.

So far, Thurman and Mayberry are on staff. Isn't Todd Day coaching in Memphis? I wouldn't be surprised if Watkins got replaced by another former player.

I think the addition of Thurman has paid off in recruiting.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Timfromlittlerockhog

Sorry to keep piling onto this thread. But it seems like I read once that Todd Day was coaching in Memphis ? H.S. ??? If thats true why not take a chance and bring a guy like him on board ? I know there are posters here who know a lot more about it than I do ... I'd be interested in hearing the opinions.

Timfromlittlerockhog

Quote from: HF#1 on March 06, 2017, 09:11:29 am
So far, Thurman and Mayberry are on staff. Isn't Todd Day coaching in Memphis? I wouldn't be surprised if Watkins got replaced by another former player.

I think the addition of Thurman has paid off in recruiting.

Dude you just read my mind.... Cool.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Timfromlittlerockhog on March 06, 2017, 09:04:16 am
I don't think upgrading is ever a bad idea. And its NOT stirring things up to talk about it. I'd love to see an ACE recruiter on this staff. Wouldn't hurt with the football team either.

Go get the Washington head coach.  That guy obviously isn't a good head coach but hell of a recruiter

Timfromlittlerockhog

Hey is somebody going to post the SEC bracket ? And maybe sticky it to the top ? And are we going to have a tournament challenge for it and the NCAA here ? Just curious. Not trying to derail.

Timfromlittlerockhog

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 06, 2017, 09:15:13 am
Go get the Washington head coach.  That guy obviously isn't a good head coach but hell of a recruiter

Are there any ties between him and Arkansas or Mike ?

Hawg Red

I'm not sure what the previously alluded to coaching movement on the staff would be. Maybe Watkins retiring now that Manny is graduating? He's 62. Possible. Maybe T.J. feels good about getting a HC job at a smaller school? Don't see Scotty going anywhere. Mayberry, I believe, is a grad assistant by now. He started out as an undergrad assistant. Could be that he's moving onto the staff full-time to replace whoever is outgoing. But, as mentioned, add a recruiter to recruit outside the state in addition to all the strong in-state talent and we could bust this thing wide open.

Timfromlittlerockhog

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 06, 2017, 09:20:46 am
I'm not sure what the previously alluded to coaching movement on the staff would be. Maybe Watkins retiring now that Manny is graduating? He's 62. Possible. Maybe T.J. feels good about getting a HC job at a smaller school? Don't see Scotty going anywhere. Mayberry, I believe, is a grad assistant by now. He started out as an undergrad assistant. Could be that he's moving onto the staff full-time to replace whoever is outgoing. But, as mentioned, add a recruiter to recruit outside the state in addition to all the strong in-state talent and we could bust this thing wide open.

Dude I can't wait.. I am beyond ready to see the anti-Mike crowd get a healthy dose of s.t..u.

Raymond Zorback

Melvin will probably retire now that Manny is graduating.  So that's at least one spot.
You can call me Ray.

The_Iceman

Everyone is wanting an ace recruiter, but we don't really have many open scholarships until the 2020 class. Only have about 3 to fill until then, right?

The_Iceman

Why wouldn't Corliss be an option as an assistant? He had NBA ties and experience. He can coach interior post play. And seems like he would be a good recruiter like Scotty.

Just wondering if people know something I dont.

King Kong

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 06, 2017, 09:46:29 am
Everyone is wanting an ace recruiter, but we don't really have many open scholarships until the 2020 class. Only have about 3 to fill until then, right?

So you're suggesting we hire the Middle School coach for Lebron James son? I like what you are thinking.

J/K

onebadrubi

Quote from: Timfromlittlerockhog on March 06, 2017, 09:18:21 am
Are there any ties between him and Arkansas or Mike ?

Not that I know of

Jim Harris

Quote from: Timfromlittlerockhog on March 06, 2017, 09:12:01 am
Sorry to keep piling onto this thread. But it seems like I read once that Todd Day was coaching in Memphis ? H.S. ??? If thats true why not take a chance and bring a guy like him on board ? I know there are posters here who know a lot more about it than I do ... I'd be interested in hearing the opinions.

Todd Day is head coach at Philander Smith College in LR.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Smithian

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 06, 2017, 09:48:13 am
Why wouldn't Corliss be an option as an assistant? He had NBA ties and experience. He can coach interior post play. And seems like he would be a good recruiter like Scotty.

Just wondering if people know something I dont.
The life of an NBA assistant seems a lot better than that of a college assistant. I think they only way he'd even consider it is if Melvin Watkins left and we offered him a pile of money and the associate head coach title.

Not advocating for or against, just what I think it would take.

Smithian

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 06, 2017, 09:46:29 am
Guys transfer, leave early, you have to keep the ones you have on the trail.

I've always said I don't doubt Anderson's game day coaching but the recruiting makes me nervous. Anderson is who he is and I don't see him going far outside the program to fill his staff but if there is staff movement and they go outside the family then Tony Benford would be a solid option.

HF#1

Quote from: Jim Harris on March 06, 2017, 09:57:41 am

That's it!

FineAsSwine

I've already said it earlier in another thread. Bring back Todd Day! Would love to see him on the bench plus, we have discussed many times on here how it would be great to get back into the Memphis area in recruiting. Todd Day could help us reestablish a recruiting beachhead in the Bluff City.
Hogs up! Covid down!

onebadrubi

Quote from: FineAsSwine on March 06, 2017, 10:10:20 am
I've already said it earlier in another thread. Bring back Todd Day! Would love to see him on the bench plus, we have discussed many times on here how it would be great to get back into the Memphis area in recruiting. Todd Day could help us reestablish a recruiting beachhead in the Bluff City.

That would be huge.

King Kong

What is Paul Pressey doing these day? MA may bring in his best friend if Pressey is done in the NBA

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: Jim Harris on March 06, 2017, 09:57:41 am
Didn't he just win his conference's COTY award?
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

lynbug

No one will be replaced unless they choose to leave.....unless we're talking scorekeeper or waterboy.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 06, 2017, 09:20:46 am
Mayberry's title is special assistant to the HC or something along those lines.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

hawgfan4life

Go get the HC from the Washington Generals.

Jim Harris

Quote from: Sow Lancelot on March 06, 2017, 11:31:26 am
Didn't he just win his conference's COTY award?

Philander went 15-13. If he was COTY, I can't find a story on it.

EDIT: Yes, he was chosen coach of the year. Here's a report on Dillard's win over Philander in the conference tourney final, note last graph:

Dillard, ranked No. 10 in the NAIA, was off and running from the start on its way to an 86-65 victory over Philander Smith on Sunday at the Xavier Convocation Center, winning back-to-back Gulf Coast Athletic Conference titles for the first time.

"We knew we were deeper and more athletic, and we started pushing it early, and we played good defense," Dillard senior power forward Demetric Austin said. "To win it two years in a row is just great. Now, it's on to the (NAIA) nationals."

Austin, who had 33 points and 15 rebounds in Saturday's semifinals win against Talladega, had 17 points, 13 rebounds and three assists posting low and drawing double teams from the Panthers' defense. He was selected the tournament's Most Valuable Player.

Center Jalen McGauhy had a game-high 22 points, including four 3-pointers, along with 10 rebounds and eight blocked shots. Five Dillard players scored in double figures, as guards Jessie Ward and Quinton Jackson had 15 and 14, respectively, and guard Montrey Thomas 11.

The Bleu Devils (24-7), whose only regular-season conference loss in 12 games was at Philander Smith, started the game on a 14-4 run on their way to a 43-31 halftime lead, the game's pace much to their liking.

The Panthers, however, did a much better job slowing things down to start the second half by attacking the basket and scoring or drawing fouls. Philander Smith came to 49-42 on a three-point play by point guard Braylon Spicer four minutes into the second half.

However, Thomas sank a 3-pointer 17 seconds later, starting a 7-2 burst. When Ward sank a 3 at 10:13, the lead was 63-47.

"We got back in it, but then we made some mistakes, and they capitalized," said Panthers coach Todd Day, a former NBA player who was selected GCAC Coach of the Year, much to the chagrin of Dillard's players. "But the better team won."
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Arazorbackguy1

I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

hobhog

Quote from: Timfromlittlerockhog on March 06, 2017, 09:22:43 am
Dude I can't wait.. I am beyond ready to see the anti-Mike crowd get a healthy dose of s.t..u.

I just want to see back to back to back to back to back Dances. Tha should allow you to pop off plenty.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: hobhog on March 06, 2017, 05:56:04 pm
I just want to see back to back to back to back to back Dances. Tha should allow you to pop off plenty.

Heck I'd just like to see back to back at this point.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 06, 2017, 09:02:11 am
Really not trying to stir anything up here, and I'm definitely NOT calling for any staff changes, but Porked Tongue did say a few weeks ago that there would be some movement on the staff. Believe he said definitely one move, possibly two. So that is where I'm coming from with this. If there's already a move in the works, I think Tony Benford would be a great addition to the staff. He was just let go by North Texas. He's a good recruiter with strong Texas ties. Again, I'm not saying anyone should or needs to go from the current staff, but it was said by someone who has proven to have inside knowledge that a staff change is coming. Might as well maximize.

No offense, but where did he do his great recruiting at?

Looking at his bio, he is a mixed bag rather than a home run. Seemed to have his most success under Bliss at New Mexico and was not taken on to Indiana with Crean or retained by Buzz Williams and was terrible as a head coach.

I am sorry, but I just don't see an upgrade here.

Nick Saban wasn't a great recruiter at Mich St. for instance. Getting Texas kids to go to Texas schools isn't that difficult.

Has he been able to pull top Texas kids to schools outside of Texas?

Hawg Red

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 07, 2017, 12:33:38 pm
No offense, but where did he do his great recruiting at?

Looking at his bio, he is a mixed bag rather than a home run. Seemed to have his most success under Bliss at New Mexico and was not taken on to Indiana with Crean or retained by Buzz Williams and was terrible as a head coach.

I am sorry, but I just don't see an upgrade here.

Nick Saban wasn't a great recruiter at Mich St. for instance. Getting Texas kids to go to Texas schools isn't that difficult.

Has he been able to pull top Texas kids to schools outside of Texas?

Your post reads as if you are saying he was not retained by Buzz Williams at Marquette. He was an assistant at Marquette from 2008-2012 and was Marquette's associate head coach when hired by North Texas. He was responsible for recruiting the talent that enable Marquette to go on a run of two Sweet 16s and an Elite 8. No, there were not a lot of Texas kids on that roster, but he played at Texas Tech and has been coaching at North Texas. Fair to say he has Texas + previous recruiting success (unless you just want to give all the credit to Buzz Williams for coaching them up).

Potosihog

If there is a change in the works I would be shocked if the replacement is not already a done deal.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Potosihog on March 07, 2017, 01:46:34 pm
If there is a change in the works I would be shocked if the replacement is not already a done deal.

And I'm sure it is.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 07, 2017, 01:29:09 pm
Your post reads as if you are saying he was not retained by Buzz Williams at Marquette. He was an assistant at Marquette from 2008-2012 and was Marquette's associate head coach when hired by North Texas. He was responsible for recruiting the talent that enable Marquette to go on a run of two Sweet 16s and an Elite 8. No, there were not a lot of Texas kids on that roster, but he played at Texas Tech and has been coaching at North Texas. Fair to say he has Texas + previous recruiting success (unless you just want to give all the credit to Buzz Williams for coaching them up).

Oops. I got confused going back and forth between pages.

You are right, his best years were at Marquette where he ended up as Williams associat HC.

Looks much better now! LOL

Thanks again.

Sportster365

If not a good recruiter, I'd like to see the Hogs get a legitimate "big man" assistant coach.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Sportster365 on March 07, 2017, 03:13:42 pm
If not a good recruiter, I'd like to see the Hogs get a legitimate "big man" assistant coach.

Whoever is doing it now for us is doing the best job on the staff. ALL of our big men have improved under this staff other than Mickelson who couldn't even develop at Kansas.

Razorod

If I'm not mistaken, Watkins is the "big man" coach. Can anybody confirm?

Also, don't know what Benford's specialty is, but when you read his bio it lists quite a few bigs that he at least recruited if not developed.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Rawker

This thread is one of the most straw-grabbingest on a board full of supreme straw-grabbing.  But seriously, I think John Wooden would be a great choice as an assistant.  Isn't he coaching a Memphis Boys Club team now?  Oooo...John Gruden!

Hogs49ers

A homerun assistant coach hire would be Penny Hardaway so we could get into that Memphis pipeline again (doubtful he would ever come coach here, but just a fun thought).  He did win the state title in 2015 as head coach at a Memphis highschool.
SCREW Vandy!

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Timfromlittlerockhog on March 06, 2017, 09:09:57 am

A program doesn't necessarily have to bring former players back as a coach to take care of them. Other ways are good.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi