Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Proud new Owner of an Egg

Started by agr347, October 23, 2012, 09:20:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

agr347

My wife surprised me with a Big Green Egg for my birthday!  It is a large and she bought me the nest to go along with it.  I think I will build a table later on, but the nest is great for now. 

What eggcessories do you experts recommend for it?
"Just remember, its not a lie if you believe it." -George Costanza

JOHNP

Boarcephus

Shag, we got a new member of the Egg Club!  You going to perform the initiation rite or am I?   ;)
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Boarcephus

Boar is dead right about the place setter and the gloves.  Rib rack is nice and so is the little half moon shaped raised grill.  Use it alot for peppers and such. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

1873Hawg

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting a bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." - Dennis Wholey

agr347

Thanks guys.  Any tips on cooking on this rig  My forst simple cook went well, planning on trying out a smoking this weekend.

Boarcephus

Quote from: agr347 on October 24, 2012, 04:34:28 pm
Thanks guys.  Any tips on cooking on this rig  My forst simple cook went well, planning on trying out a smoking this weekend.

the whole key to the Egg is regulating the temperature and that takes a little time to master, at least it did for me.  The plate setter Boar talked about is great for the low and slow type of cooking you do when smoking.   It's amazing how long that thing will hold a temp when you're smoking ribs, chicken or whatever.

One thing you can do is go to The Big Green Egg Forum.   There is a wealth of info there and it's amazing how many eggheads hang out there all hours of the day.  You can ask any question and get answers almost immediately.

Good luck and have fun

1873Hawg

Quote from: agr347 on October 24, 2012, 04:34:28 pm

It may sound obvious but, keep the lid closed as much as possible...

One of my friends has an egg and I swear he opens that bastage every 3 minutes and then wonders why his bbq takes longer to cook and is never as moist as mine.

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting a bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." - Dennis Wholey

Boarcephus

Quote from: Shag66 on October 24, 2012, 06:27:06 pm
I don't even have grate lifting pliers.  I use my ash tool...

exactly what I do.

HuntinHog

Somehow you pulled off the dream.  Got the wife to buy you the dream grill and take credit for it.  If over the summer you had said "I'm going to buy the large egg and the nest for a crazy price", she probably would have laughed at you.  But now it's on her.

You probably should write a "How To" post on this for the rest of us.

DeltaBoy

Yep what did she do??????????? No wife I know would go out and buy her man a BGE and Nest for nothing.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

agr347

There's really no telling what that thing will cost me in the long run, but it's worth every penny so far!

DeltaBoy

Boog41

I know I"m late to the party on this, but be sure to store your charcoal in a dry place. If you leave it outside it can get damp and not heat as well. Learned this the hard way.

Also on the charcoal, as you burn down inside the BGE, stir the ashes around before reloading. This will let them fall through the vent holes and will allow for better heating when you re-fill with fresh charcoal.

Boarcephus

November 15, 2012, 06:41:32 am #15 Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 06:57:15 am by Boarcephus
Quote from: Boar on November 14, 2012, 10:56:38 pm
Actually if you use it year 'round...it'll pay for itself if a few years just on the charcoal savings.  And the lighter fluid since you wont be using any.  A pack of those starting sticks will last you for 40 cooks at a cost about $4.

One more thing, you buy one BGE and you won't be replacing it, ever.  I shudder to think how much money I've blown on grills and smokers over the last 25-30 years.  Don't really even want to know.  The last grill I bought was from the gas company.  Dropped over $500 on it, had a gas line run to hook it up.  Convenient, never ran out of fuel but the taste was so so.  Burned that sucker up in 6-7 years.  If I had bought the BGE way back when, no telling how far I'd be ahead money wise.

agr347

I have a question for y'all. Do I have to use the bge charcoal, or will any lump work?  I saw a 20# bag of lump at academy for about half the price and was just curious.

Boarcephus

Quote from: agr347 on November 15, 2012, 07:56:01 am
I have a question for y'all. Do I have to use the bge charcoal, or will any lump work?  I saw a 20# bag of lump at academy for about half the price and was just curious.

I refuse to pay what BGE want's for their charcoal.  Ozark Oak is great for half the price and Harps carries it up here.  Stay away from the lump Sam's carries.  Not very good.

Boog41

Quote from: Boarcephus on November 15, 2012, 08:00:09 am
I refuse to pay what BGE want's for their charcoal.  Ozark Oak is great for half the price and Harps carries it up here.  Stay away from the lump Sam's carries.  Not very good.

Was just about to post this same thing. It is what I use also.

earlenehawg

Ozark is the best but Kroger is not bad in a pinch.  You will love it after you get the temp regulating down, it takes a few times.

Boarcephus

I think Ozark Oak is made in Harrison.  My brother and his buddies go in and buy a pallet of it and split it.  I think they get it for around $3 a bag, if I'm not mistaken but you got to go get it.  If there was any interest among some guys here, we could work out a deal to go pick some up.

Boog41

Quote from: Boarcephus on November 15, 2012, 06:05:12 pm
I think Ozark Oak is made in Harrison.  My brother and his buddies go in and buy a pallet of it and split it.  I think they get it for around $3 a bag, if I'm not mistaken but you got to go get it.  If there was any interest among some guys here, we could work out a deal to go pick some up.

Boar, where do you live? How many bags on a pallet??

Boarcephus

Quote from: Boog41 on November 15, 2012, 09:58:54 pm
Boar, where do you live? How many bags on a pallet??

I'm in Fayetteville, you?  Let me check into it but my brother and his friends buy a pallet and that fits in a pickup.  I was thinking a pallet was around 80 bags but I will confirm today and get back with you.

Boarcephus

spoke to my brother.  They're located in or around Yellville and he thinks there are 64 bags on a pallet and it's around $3 a bag, no sales tax.  He said they've  always bought 2 pallets and they (Ozark Oak) loaded the pallets on a trailer in shrink wrap and you drove off.

The only phone number I can come up with is 870-427-5688 but I can't get an answer.  If Shag, Boar and a couple others want to we might go in and split a pallet. 

Boarcephus

Not sure this is worth the hassle.  Got in touch with them and its $3.80 something a bag plus tax.  64 bags to a pallet.  You can buy the stuff at Harps for about a dollar a bag more.  Not sure it's worth taking a half a day and spending what you will on gas to save $64 dollars.

Boog41

Boar, thanks for checking on this....sounded good, but I'm in agreement with you. Not enough savings for the time and investment.

Thanks anyway bro.