Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Grill/Smoker Choices (updated)

Started by 1873Hawg, June 20, 2011, 12:03:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

1873Hawg

June 20, 2011, 12:03:53 am Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 04:00:35 pm by 1873Hawg
I am looking to buy a new grill within the next few days. For the past few years I have used a $250 grill with a hotbox on the side and have gotten pretty proficient with it; however, it is just about gone (from rust and use). So I am looking for my best option.

#1 a lot better quality version of what I have and am familiar with:

http://www.yodersmokers.com/wichita.html

#2 BGE about the same price, and I have heard great things about them; however, I have never used one. Don't even know if it will do like I want. I smoke ribs quite often (5-7 hours at low temps)

http://www.biggreenegg.com/eggs_XL.html

#3 Get out of smoking and go with a gas grill/outdoor kitchen setup. My house has all of the hookups for an outdoor kitchen next to the pool deck; however, I have never used gas and am not sure I would like it for grilling (taste wise). Oh and this will be more expensive $2-3.5k for what all I want.

Suggestions: if you think the BGE is the way to go, please let me know why.
"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting a bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." - Dennis Wholey

Shag66

June 20, 2011, 04:48:32 pm #1 Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 04:50:15 pm by Shag66
I have a BGE and I love it.  I have also grilled and smoked on several other grills/smokers of other types (Weber Gasser, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Kettle, Offsets, etc.)

I use my BGE all the time.  It saves me a ton in charcoal.  The food turns out great.  It is a snap to use. 

As a grill it is awesome.  The fact that it is ceramic makes it cook better and keep the meat moist. 

As a smoker it is really good.  It compares well to the BBQ I can create with my WSM.  If you do a LOT of ribs at once then you may want to consider the XL over the L.  It can be a little tight squeezing three racks of spares on a L unless you cut them in half and use a rib rack. (baby backs are no problem)

You can also bake and do pizza on the Egg.  The pizza turns out friggin great!

There are several EggHeads on here.  Feel free to ask questions.

Shag66

Quote from: Boar on June 20, 2011, 04:54:21 pm
LOL Shag!  We responded at the same time with nearly the same response.

LOL  Yup. 

Did I show you that pic of the guy who had 8 pork butts in his large?  He had a triple rack. 3-3-2

Shag66

Quote from: Boar on June 20, 2011, 05:15:56 pm
I didn't see the photo.  No way you could fit 8 of those big butts from Sam's in a large.  You couldn't close the lid going three wide with 8-9 lb butts.

I'll see if I can find it.  They were all full size.  Might have been 6 or 7 pounders. 

1873Hawg

Thanks guys... I am really interested in a BGE, but I am having trouble stepping up and dropping $1200 on one.
"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting a bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." - Dennis Wholey

Shag66

Quote from: 1873Hawg on June 20, 2011, 08:06:15 pm
Thanks guys... I am really interested in a BGE, but I am having trouble stepping up and dropping $1200 on one.

What are your concerns?  Surely that pit above cost that or more...

1873Hawg

Quote from: Shag66 on June 20, 2011, 08:20:54 pm
What are your concerns?  Surely that pit above cost that or more...

Mainly that I have never used one (or even been around one in use)...

I went by Congo in Benton today and looked at them. They have the Large with a table for $800 (which seemed to be a good buy), but I really need the XL for when I do decide to cook ribs. I have mine butcher cut Hollywood style and they take up a lot of room.

I found an XL on craigslist for $700 but I am always leery of buying anything from Craigslist.

Shag66

Quote from: 1873Hawg on June 20, 2011, 08:28:25 pm
Mainly that I have never used one (or even been around one in use)...

I went by Congo in Benton today and looked at them. They have the Large with a table for $800 (which seemed to be a good buy), but I really need the XL for when I do decide to cook ribs. I have mine butcher cut Hollywood style and they take up a lot of room.

I found an XL on craigslist for $700 but I am always leery of buying anything from Craigslist.

You can cut the big racks of ribs in half and use a rib rack to smoke them.  I can lay 3 racks of baby backs out in my large.  I just can't do that with spares.  (Probably could with St. Louis trimmed...)

I gotta say...  I have grilled for years and years and after getting my Egg nothing else even comes close to the quality of the finished product.  I don't know what the ceramic cooking does for it, but it all comes out juicy and taste great. 

That being said, you gotta go with what you think will be best for you. 

I cook a lot, but I don't cook a lot of food at one time usually.  I will buy a cryo of Pork Butts at Sams and do 2 at a time, or buy a cryo of ribs at Sams and do 3 racks at a time. 

I have a triple rack setup for my Egg (and I bought a half moon at the suggestions of others on here) and I can cook plenty for most any get togethers we have.  I still have my WSM and Gasser on standby though for big cooks.

Boar and I got our Eggs at the same time and we both were kicking ourselves for waiting so long after we used them a few times.

Shag66

Quote from: Boar on June 20, 2011, 08:54:21 pm
Shag, are you using the pizza plate over the setter to get a larger indirect heat area on the grill?  Laying three uncut flat...seems the direct heat edges would burn 'em.

I'd like to see bge make the setter a little wider so we'll have a larger indirect area.

No, just using the plate setter.  I use a pizza stone on top of the plate setter when I do pizza though.

You done any pizza on yours yet?

IronHog

Quote from: 1873Hawg on June 20, 2011, 08:28:25 pm

Why?

Go look at the thing and if it ain't cracked offer 500!
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Shag66

Quote from: Boar on June 20, 2011, 05:15:56 pm
I didn't see the photo.  No way you could fit 8 of those big butts from Sam's in a large.  You couldn't close the lid going three wide with 8-9 lb butts.

I found the pic of 8 on a Primo.  Still looking for the one on the Egg..

1873Hawg

I emailed the guy with the XL and asked him if there were any defects cracks etc... this is what he emailed me back:

"I still have it the egg is in very good shape, there is an inner ceramic ring in it that is cracked but that's due to temp fluctuations it functions to support the cast iron grate in the bottom. I bought in 08 or 09, "

What do you guys think... still worth $700? (it has the metal nest)

Shag66

Quote from: 1873Hawg on June 21, 2011, 02:56:01 pm
I emailed the guy with the XL and asked him if there were any defects cracks etc... this is what he emailed me back:

"I still have it the egg is in very good shape, there is an inner ceramic ring in it that is cracked but that's due to temp fluctuations it functions to support the cast iron grate in the bottom. I bought in 08 or 09, "

What do you guys think... still worth $700? (it has the metal nest)

Sounds like the fire basket is all that is cracked.  The old ones cracked all the time.  Not a big deal at all.  If the unit itself is in good shape it is probably worth $700.  If it has some accessories with it then it for sure is.

If it has a nest then that is good.

You will need a Plate Setter for smoking. 

I'd offer him $550 or $600 and see if he jumps.

Old Tusk

Curious how the BGE handles the grease from 8 butts.
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

Shag66

Quote from: Old Tusk on June 22, 2011, 03:05:03 pm
Curious how the BGE handles the grease from 8 butts.

I've never had any problem with pork grease...  Beef grease is a whole 'nother animal though...  I've loaded my Egg and WSM up with chicken and pork and the fat just burns away on the coals or turns to dust on the platesetter...

Put some brisket or a couple of chuck roasts in and it is a greasy mess though... 

sooieet

I cheat, and use an electric smoker.  I use a mixture of charcoal and wood to get the smoke.  Most folks would never know it wasn't cooked over a real fire, and it's much easier to regulate temperature. 

Old Tusk

Quote from: Shag66 on June 22, 2011, 08:25:11 pm
I've never had any problem with pork grease...  Beef grease is a whole 'nother animal though...  I've loaded my Egg and WSM up with chicken and pork and the fat just burns away on the coals or turns to dust on the platesetter...

Put some brisket or a couple of chuck roasts in and it is a greasy mess though... 
have you cooked 8 butts
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

Shag66

Quote from: Old Tusk on June 22, 2011, 08:52:30 pm
have you cooked 8 butts

not in the Egg.  I did 4 in my WSM though.

1873Hawg

Going to look at that used egg tomorrow; any of you eggheads want to ride along to advise me? I'll buy you a beer (or 2) as long as you are 21+.

1873Hawg

Got the XL BGE from the Craigslist ad. The seller wouldn't budge from $700, but it was in such good condition I didn't mind at all.

I'll fire it up this weekend and report how it all goes.

Shag66

Quote from: 1873Hawg on June 23, 2011, 08:57:39 pm
Got the XL BGE from the Craigslist ad. The seller wouldn't budge from $700, but it was in such good condition I didn't mind at all.

I'll fire it up this weekend and report how it all goes.

Grats!  You are gonna love it. Welcome to the club.

Shag66

Quote from: Boar on June 24, 2011, 06:21:53 pm
Photo of two 8's on a large bge.

You can always turn em up on edge Boar!  LOL

Those things won't be ready to pull until about 6 am...

Shag66

Quote from: Boar on June 24, 2011, 06:26:27 pm
Done deal...it's wrapped in foil now.  I'll seperate what's left of the fat a little later.

nice bark!

Shag66

Shag66

Quote from: Boar on June 24, 2011, 06:44:40 pmWhen you want to clean the egg, you just let that baby get to 650 or so and it works like a self cleaning oven.

That is why you will be needing to sear a couple of steaks early next week...  ;)

BTW.  Are you interested in a Guru?  Mitch is getting some I think and promised me one.

1873Hawg

Well as I said I got the extra large BGE that was on Craig's list. I had to do a little repair to the fire box but it is in great condition otherwise. I went by a BGE dealer on Friday and got a few Eggcessories. So far my list of BGE items include:

extra large BGE with nest
XL ash tool
Plate Setter for XL
XL baking stone
Ceramic Sittin' Chicken

Wanting to buy: (in order that they will be purchased)
Digital Probe Thermometer
Eggcellerator
Cast Iron Grid
3 tier Grill extender
Half Moon Baking stone for the XL
Perforated Grid Half-moon
Cast Iron Griddle
2 V racks

1873Hawg

No pics yet but I have been playing with my BGE the past couple of days. The only thing of any real significance that I made was a Sausage Fatty/Bacon Explosion.

I am going to tinker with the recipe some but it turned out pretty good.

I first crisscrossed the bacon into a blanket then gave it a dusting of Tony Chachere's seasoning.
Then I spread about a 3/4" layer of regular breakfast sausage over the blanket.
I took 1/2 of a small vadalia onion, 1/2 green bell pepper, and 3 baby portabella mushrooms and shredded them up mixing in some garlic powder, sharp cheddar, BBQ sauce, and a little Tabasco sauce. This mixture was spread over the sausage.

It was all rolled up, dusted the outside with Tony's, and then I cooked it on the BGE at 325 for an hour then backed the temp down to 275 and let it cook for about another 8 hours.

I let it rest for about 30 minutes then drained the grease off then fired it at about 450 for 15 minutes just to get a little better crisp on the outside (I wanted the bacon to have a slight crunch to it).

Was fairly good; I think next time I am going to leave the BBQ sauce off but increase the amount of sharp cheddar.

Though it will be a while before I try it again because even after eating one small piece I feel my arteries clogging.   

Probably going to make homemade pizza for dinner;

Shag66

Quote from: 1873Hawg on June 26, 2011, 04:23:08 pm
No pics yet but I have been playing with my BGE the past couple of days. The only thing of any real significance that I made was a Sausage Fatty/Bacon Explosion.

I am going to tinker with the recipe some but it turned out pretty good.

I first crisscrossed the bacon into a blanket then gave it a dusting of Tony Chachere's seasoning.
Then I spread about a 3/4" layer of regular breakfast sausage over the blanket.
I took 1/2 of a small vadalia onion, 1/2 green bell pepper, and 3 baby portabella mushrooms and shredded them up mixing in some garlic powder, sharp cheddar, BBQ sauce, and a little Tabasco sauce. This mixture was spread over the sausage.

It was all rolled up, dusted the outside with Tony's, and then I cooked it on the BGE at 325 for an hour then backed the temp down to 275 and let it cook for about another 8 hours.

I let it rest for about 30 minutes then drained the grease off then fired it at about 450 for 15 minutes just to get a little better crisp on the outside (I wanted the bacon to have a slight crunch to it).

Was fairly good; I think next time I am going to leave the BBQ sauce off but increase the amount of sharp cheddar.

Though it will be a while before I try it again because even after eating one small piece I feel my arteries clogging.   

Probably going to make homemade pizza for dinner;

LOL  yup..  :)  You are hooked now brother! That was a hella long cook on the fatty!  I usually only do mine for 2-1/2 to 3 hours... 

Wait till you fire a steak or a pork chop on that bad boy...

The stuff you got is about $1400 worth.

If you need a hookup on a guru (eggcelerator) let me know...  I am about to get one and I am gonna be able to swing some deals I think because they are just bringing them in ay my neighborhood Egg store and want to sell several of the original order pretty quick to get the word out.

Filthy_McSwine

I've got a couple of brand new Egg Mates for a large egg...anyone know the best way to get rid of them?

Shag66

Quote from: Filthy_McSwine on June 27, 2011, 12:00:39 pm
I've got a couple of brand new Egg Mates for a large egg...anyone know the best way to get rid of them?

If I didn't have a table I'd buy em...

Where are you?  You could sell em on Craigs list for sure...

Filthy_McSwine

Quote from: Shag66 on June 27, 2011, 07:21:41 pm
If I didn't have a table I'd buy em...

Where are you?  You could sell em on Craigs list for sure...

Little Rock.  I've got a table as well.

I guess Craigslist is pretty much the best way to go.

DeltaBoy

BUMP they are on sale this time of the year.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HogsWellThenEndsWell

Traeger.

I wouldnt use anything else, I now have two.  One for the house and a Jr. I take tailgating.

I can smoke anything yoU can on your Egg, I can also crank it up to 450 and do an awesome steak.

Pies...pizza...

Anyone that doesn't like these things has never cooked on one.

My 2 cents.

HogsWell
LIVE! Do not just Exist!!

DeltaBoy

Spring Break in 2 weeks and I will be home and I am going to get my new Weber out and fire it up.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

DeltaBoy

Having fun Cooking on my grill !

jacobp

Really thinking about jumping on the Egg train.  New dealer in here town, has some good deals going.

Boarcephus

Quote from: jacobp on May 03, 2012, 01:28:30 pm
Really thinking about jumping on the Egg train.  New dealer in here town, has some good deals going.

What kind of prices are they asking for a large?
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Shag66 on May 03, 2012, 06:16:00 pm
I love my Egg.  It is warming up as I type this...

What are we cooking tonight?

I plan on swinging by Sam's tomorrow after work and finding something to throw on mine.  Occasionally you can find a great pair of porterhouse steaks late in the afternoon and if so, then we'll go that route.  If not, probably a lobster tail for Deb and ribeye for me.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

jacobp

May 04, 2012, 08:19:08 am #38 Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 08:30:17 am by jacobp
Quote from: Boarcephus on May 03, 2012, 03:02:42 pm
What kind of prices are they asking for a large?
I'm going by tomorrow so I'll have to check out the Large prices.

we recently had an 80 foot branch come down on our house/patio.  Damage to the house was minimal (have to replace the roof and broke one window) but all my patio furniture is dead along with my weber ranch kettle.  I actually fought back a tear when I saw that the ranch was not repairable.  It made it through one bad storm and some extensive repairs but id didn't survive this one.  We've decided to completely redo our patio so I'm looking at an XL Egg with a premade table. 
They bring a few eggs out to the parking lot every Saturday morning and cook all day; will even let you bring your own meat if you want to try it out.  I'll get a full price list from them tomorrow.

Boarcephus

Quote from: jacobp on May 04, 2012, 08:19:08 am
I'm going by tomorrow so I'll have to check out the Large prices.

we recently had an 80 foot branch come down on our house/patio.  Damage to the house was minimal (have to replace the roof and broke one window) but all my patio furniture is dead along with my weber ranch kettle.  I actually fought back a tear when I saw that the ranch was not repairable.  It made it through one bad storm and some extensive repairs but id didn't survive this one.  We've decided to completely redo our patio so I'm looking at an XL Egg with a premade table. 
They bring a few eggs out to the parking lot every Saturday morning and cook all day; will even let you bring your own meat if you want to try it out.  I'll get a full price list from them tomorrow.

Shag and I both have the large model and I understand the XL is a whole different animal from the L.  The large has worked out well for me plus it's a bit cheaper.

jacobp

The large is big enough for me, I'm sure, but I love the look of the xl with the table the way they have it set up and finished...Plus part of the cash is coming from my insurance company so why the hell not.

Old Tusk

I'm not an egg cook yet, but people who are have told me that they do not believe they cook as well as the L.

Boarcephus

Quote from: jacobp on May 04, 2012, 11:02:56 am
The large is big enough for me, I'm sure, but I love the look of the xl with the table the way they have it set up and finished...Plus part of the cash is coming from my insurance company so why the hell not.

Those big four foot tables are nice.   If I had any talent at all I would build one but since I don't, bought it and love it. 

If you do go ahead and buy one, make sure they throw in a bag of charcoal and a cleanout tool.  I think that's pretty much a standard deal on these things.   Have no idea where you live but the BGE charcoal is expensive but you can get some great stuff at Harps called Ozark Oak.

jacobp

I'm in Ruston, LA.  These guys just opened up down here, business called Lincoln Outdoor Living.  They sell eggs and other grills/accessories, and design and build outdoor kitchens.  Went to their grand opening a couple weeks ago and in one of their inside demos they had a bunch of Razorback tailgating stuff decorating the display.  got to talking with the guy; I don't think getting some free charcoal and some accessories will be an issue at all.

Boarcephus

When you slip down to check prices, let me know.  I've heard they've jumped up quite a bit over what shag and I paid and I'm just a little curious.

jacobp

Quote from: Shag66 on May 04, 2012, 04:37:33 pm
I have mine in a table and love it.  I just wheel it out and fire it up!

I think I paid $700 for my Egg and $150 or so for my table.  I know that was a pretty good price at the time too.

I thought you got an Egg last year OT!
That seems pretty close to what they were advertising at their opening if I'm not mistaken.  Although that could have been the price they were asking for some of their demo models they had out front cooking.  Either way I'll find out soon.

Old Tusk

Quote from: Shag66 on May 04, 2012, 04:37:33 pm
I have mine in a table and love it.  I just wheel it out and fire it up!

Boar has a Large and a Small in his table. 

The guy at The PAtio in B'ville where I got mine said the XL is great but it is like the Mack Truck of Eggs.  Big and Slow. 

I can have my large up to temp in 15 minutes or less.

Anxious to hear what the prices are now days...

I think I paid $700 for my Egg and $150 or so for my table.  I know that was a pretty good price at the time too.

I thought you got an Egg last year OT!
My wife got two, but they are still in the our friends barn. I figure I'll get orders soon to head down and pick them up Our own friends have guinuswine if anyone is interested.

Boarcephus

May 04, 2012, 05:53:28 pm #47 Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 06:15:14 pm by Boarcephus
Quote from: Shag66 on May 04, 2012, 04:46:14 pm
BTW...

Got MOINK?

What is this????

Never mind, found it.  Interesting to say the least.  May have to try this one.

jacobp

Quote from: Boarcephus on May 04, 2012, 03:59:52 pm
When you slip down to check prices, let me know.  I've heard they've jumped up quite a bit over what shag and I paid and I'm just a little curious.
I went and saw the guys on Saturday and this is the special they're running right now, for the large.
GRAND OPENING SPECIAL PACKAGE $899.95
package includes:
Large Big Green Egg
Large Plate Setter
Large Ash Tool
1 Box of Firestarter
1 Bag Big Green Egg Charcoal
1 set of Egg Mates (Wooden Shelves )
1 Nest Stand with Locking Casters
1 Grill Gripper.

They haven't sold a single XL Egg since they've opened and I know they're wanting to move a couple.  Really thinking I can get the XL with the table and these accessories listed above for around $1200 or so, but I'm leaning more and more toward the large.

jacobp

matter of fact, I think the guy is going to hook me up with a "fellow hog fan living in coonass country" discount.  basically offered me everything seen in this picture for $1100.