Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

13 redshirts

Started by swinesation, February 08, 2018, 09:51:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

swinesation

We redshirted 13 freshman last season. Isn't that a higher than usual number? Who in the group has the most potential to contribute next season? I know Montaric Brown would be one.

Porkys Revenge

Koilan Jackson. Maleek Barkley and Maleek Williams. 

swinesation

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on February 08, 2018, 10:11:14 am
Koilan Jackson. Maleek Barkley and Maleek Williams. 

I'm going with David Porter as the darkhorse. You don't think Brown, or were you saying in addition to Brown?

CHELLO300

swinesation

Of course Hyatt could end up being starting QB

lumphog

We're in much better shape than most think. IF this staff can coach as good as I think they will, it's gonna be a good year.

hogsanity

Quote from: lumphog on February 08, 2018, 11:12:55 am
We're in much better shape than most think. IF this staff can coach as good as I think they will, it's gonna be a good year.

So some of the recruiting that BB was doing is going to pay off for the new coach?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hview

Did Giovanni LaFrance (LB), end up being a RS Freshman, after his injury last year? I don't remember. He may be a Sophomore.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: swinesation on February 08, 2018, 11:01:10 am
Of course Hyatt could end up being starting QB
This is going to be a fun QB race.!!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Mo_Better_Hogs

Were the 13 all freshmen? Because occasionally a player will redshirt later. Either way, this is a great question. And an important one.

Smalltownhog95

Quote from: hogsanity on February 08, 2018, 11:19:33 am
So some of the recruiting that BB was doing is going to pay off for the new coach?
I think Bret recruited fairly well. Someone posted his rankings were as good or better than Petrino or Nutt. It was just his stubbornness to play said recruits over upperclassmen and walk ons that led to his demise (and Kurt Anderson we all know.)
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Smalltownhog95 on February 08, 2018, 01:02:12 pm
I think Bret recruited fairly well. Someone posted his rankings were as good or better than Petrino or Nutt. It was just his stubbornness to play said recruits over upperclassmen and walk ons that led to his demise (and Kurt Anderson we all know.)

Bielema had a lot of faults, but recruiting wasn't one of them.  There is a lot of talent on campus right now.  There was enough last year to be more competitive than 4-8.  There is enough there right now to be competitive from the start of the Chad Morris era. Whether we have a coach who can put all that together remains to be seen, but there is more talent than you would expect from a team coming off of a 4-8 season

jgphillips3

Bielema was alright at recruiting.  His problem was putting all the pieces together into a coherent whole.  Morris walked into good, solid talent.  Not depth, but lots of talent sprinkled throughout the roster.  Morris just needs to put all the pieces on the table and build the best machine he can from what he has then work to improve the parts as he goes.  There is enough talent on hand to win 7 or 8 games right now.  Heck, there is enough to win 9 if we got hot.  There isn't enough to beat the three teams on the schedule that have us at huge talent disparity, but Morris will have a few years to work on that.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: Smalltownhog95 on February 08, 2018, 01:02:12 pm

In my opinion, history will show that BB's biggest problem was trying to rebuild twice.  You only get one shot to build toward sustainability.

Jim Harris

Quote from: swinesation on February 08, 2018, 09:51:37 am
We redshirted 13 freshman last season. Isn't that a higher than usual number? Who in the group has the most potential to contribute next season? I know Montaric Brown would be one.

It seems like a high number considering how bad Arkansas was, and how bad some of the seniors were, with a coach in his fifth year. I can see it early on, redshirting even more as you build to the fourth and fifth years.
I thought it was interesting that Alabama was noted for playing as many freshmen this year as anyone in the country. Little redshirting there.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

ricepig

Quote from: Jim Harris on February 08, 2018, 04:21:47 pm
It seems like a high number considering how bad Arkansas was, and how bad some of the seniors were, with a coach in his fifth year. I can see it early on, redshirting even more as you build to the fourth and fifth years.
I thought it was interesting that Alabama was noted for playing as many freshmen this year as anyone in the country. Little redshirting there.

That's because their good Jr's declare for the draft, so they also are needing guys to step up. That, and they come in ready to play......

Jackrabbit Hog

Speaking of redshirts, ricepig, your karma is approaching OTR status.

Hmmm........
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Jonbo

Well, remember, they WERE "close". That's what BB kept saying. Seriously, I imagine that he was right in as much as that there is some talent on the team. I'm hoping we find out that one thing Beilema had working decently was recruiting, that he had built some depth, but I'm no kind of expert.

Atlhogfan1

The skill positions have some good depth.  Jackson would have helped this past season.  Bielema's downfall was the oline recruiting which made no sense.  Build the lines first especially when you are a coach who wants the oline to be the face of the program.  Maybe the new blocking schemes can help us offensively till we get depth and veteran coach can get our def front through till more depth is built. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: CHELLO300 on February 08, 2018, 10:47:55 am
Shane Clenin
https://www.hudl.com/video/3/2941733/57c43684842eb21f909236ed

I'd like to see what he can do against our d-line. In the film above I saw him double team two d-linemen. If they had been more than 280 lbs combined weight I would say he took on a double team. ;)
The guy is mean enough for sure. Man! I wish we could see practice tape highlights too...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

bennyl08

Montaric Brown, Kolian Jackson, Maleek Williams, David Porter, and Jordan Curtis.

All 5 of those have serious NFL potential if they decide to live up to it.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 08, 2018, 05:00:42 pm
Montaric Brown, Kolian Jackson, Maleek Williams, David Porter, and Jordan Curtis.

All 5 of those have serious NFL potential if they decide to live up to it.
That's a natural fact... I can't wait to see what these coaches can do with Chevin Calloway too.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Jim Harris on February 08, 2018, 04:21:47 pm
I think CBB was mimicking what he was taught by Alvarez but didn't have the foundation built like Alverez's program. 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

bphi11ips

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 08, 2018, 04:34:10 pm

Hmmm........

I gave him +1 in spite of myself.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

ricepig

Hmmm........

Is that good, or bad, I've never heard of this "OTR" fellow....

hogsanity

With 13 red shirts you could argue that the current recruiting class has 29, not 16 players, because that is how many will be on campus that have never played a down of college football.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on February 09, 2018, 07:40:52 am
Is that good, or bad, I've never heard of this "OTR" fellow....

It's neither good nor bad, but it sure answers a lot of questions Skandar.  I mean Pillowhead.  I mean Rudy. ...
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

lumphog

UmmmmErrrrrrUhhhhh YEA

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Hmmm........

Yep.. I +1'd him hoping to give him some zen... Then I'm gonna crap on it by dragging him into another GSD. LOL..! ;)

redeye

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 08, 2018, 04:46:30 pm
The skill positions have some good depth.  Jackson would have helped this past season.  Bielema's downfall was the oline recruiting which made no sense.  Build the lines first especially when you are a coach who wants the oline to be the face of the program.  Maybe the new blocking schemes can help us offensively till we get depth and veteran coach can get our def front through till more depth is built.

I agree, but think there's more to it than meets the eye.  I think Bielema did realize the importance of recruiting for the OL, but just struggled to bring in the level of player needed.  He got off to a good start with Skipper and Kirkland, then discovered that level of lineman was required for his offense in the SEC, unlike at Wisconsin.  He was on his way toward building depth with that type of quality, when Pittman threw a wrench in the plan, by leaving for Georgia.  After that, he never recovered and struggled to get linemen of that quality, which also hurt the defense by keeping them on the field longer.

If Pittman hadn't left, I think the last 2 years may have been much different for Arkansas.

In my opinion our overall talent is not bad and not good.  Just a tweak below average to do much in the SEC.  We should handle the OOC schedule and get 2 or 3 wins in the SEC.  The problem is actually:  1.  A new staff, 2.  a new scheme on both O and D., 3.  Difficult conference,  4,  Totally, mentally disabled team.

I just learned that we may have 29 players who haven't been totally ruined by the previous staff.  That folks, could be a blessing.  Maybe those players won't have to be unlearned the horseshit and gunpowder routine and then relearn the new scheme.  A hard working staff that truly has the team in mind will go a long way in the unlearn and relearn requirements.  How long that takes will reflect in the won/loss column.  Going to Colorado State, will we be just a group of individuals out there playing a pickup game or will we be a team????  The answer to that may be the difference in winning or losing.  Morris says it best.  You players provide the want to and the staff will provide the how to.  If those two things happen, this team will surprise folks.  Just a little slip from that or just 2 or 3 injuries and we will be unpleasantly surprised.  Those few on here that proclaim this is a 4 win max team for next season will prove their genius.  Get the want to and how to flowing and throw in a little luck like no major injuries, everyone buys in, coaches keep up the work ethic, and this team COULD win 7 regular season.  I expect a 6-6 season.

Athog

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on February 08, 2018, 02:32:11 pm
Bielema had a lot of faults, but recruiting wasn't one of them.  There is a lot of talent on campus right now.  There was enough last year to be more competitive than 4-8.  There is enough there right now to be competitive from the start of the Chad Morris era. Whether we have a coach who can put all that together remains to be seen, but there is more talent than you would expect from a team coming off of a 4-8 season

Good post!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Yo... I got a feeling next year is gonna be gud.!!

Flrazrback

To the man's credit, Coach B didn't leave the cupboard bare. Look for the new staff to come in and develop a really good group of talented young players.

Pork Twain

Been saying all along, this is a Danny Ford turning it over to HDN type of situation.  There is a lot of talent on this roster.  Likely the most talent inherited since Ford handed off to HDN.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: hogsanity on February 09, 2018, 08:59:48 am
With 13 red shirts you could argue that the current recruiting class has 29, not 16 players, because that is how many will be on campus that have never played a down of college football.
Interesting way of looking at it. Kinda like the old cracker jack box-a surprise in each one.

zane

Hmmm........

Now that you mention it- has anyone ever seen both Rice and OTR in a room at the same time??
RIP LSUfan

kodiakisland

Quote from: Flrazrback on February 10, 2018, 12:05:00 am
To the man's credit, Coach B didn't leave the cupboard bare. Look for the new staff to come in and develop a really good group of talented young players.

No, they didn't leave us bare, or seem to use what they had well.  It looked like there was a lot of talent standing on the sidelines.  I can't wait to see what this new bunch does with our current crop of TEs.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

onebadrubi

Quote from: zane on February 11, 2018, 10:16:54 pm
Now that you mention it- has anyone ever seen both Rice and OTR in a room at the same time??

Only skandar and Rudy

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 10, 2018, 03:41:52 am
Been saying all along, this is a Danny Ford turning it over to HDN type of situation.  There is a lot of talent on this roster.  Likely the most talent inherited since Ford handed off to HDN.
The Hogs won't start the season 8-0 like HDN did in his first year. But neither are we helpless like most people on the Alabama,errgh,  SEC Network believes, either. Mr. Put it in the left lane and hammer down is going to be pleasantly surprised the second week into Spring practice. He's going to find a team that would have run his SMU Mustangs off the field.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

ChopSooie

The fact that Morris said we would have a split offensive and defensive recruiting class, then went out and signed 10 defensive players, should tell you all you need to know about talent on campus.

He obviously thinks the offensive talent is closer than the defensive after reviewing our current players.

Grizzlyfan

I've stated on here a few times that I don't think we have a very good roster.  At least not upper half SEC quality.  Some disagree with that vociferously with that position.  Question.  What 3 position groups would any of you say is a strength for this team coming into 2018?

AHiD

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on February 12, 2018, 10:59:38 am
I've stated on here a few times that I don't think we have a very good roster.  At least not upper half SEC quality.  Some disagree with that vociferously with that position.  Question.  What 3 position groups would any of you say is a strength for this team coming into 2018?

DBs-Pulley, Calloway, Curl, Brown, Ramirez plus the freshmen and some other guys I forget
QB-3 4 star guys on campus
RB
My name...is Jerruh

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on February 12, 2018, 11:07:16 am
DBs-Pulley, Calloway, Curl, Brown, Ramirez plus the freshmen and some other guys I forget
QB-3 4 star guys on campus
RB
I would agree with the DB's.  Not a bad group.  As for the rest of the defense, DL group, and LB group, are they strengths, weaknesses, neutral?

onebadrubi

Switching styles like we are, no one knows.  However, we have as much talent on the roster as we have had during a coaching change since join the SEC based off of kids here with offers from other top schools. 

I personally think we have some young and very skilled talent at the following positions, TE, WR, RB, DB (CB and Safety).  I firmly believe we still have some good talent for the Oline as well, they just need a coach (which appears we took a major step up now), Wallace, Gibson, and Fro all should be in the starting lineup come August in my opinion.  Look at what is sitting behind them, Clenin (appears to have major upside), clary got some starting reps but really needs weight room, and you still have Jackson and Wagner.  We will be really thin, but there is still some talent there. 

I'm leaving the jury out on the defense,  but no way they go back.  there is some talent there that has been majorly misused (Ramsey, agim, smith, Harris, etc).   

jkstock04

After last season that would be a laughable question to answer.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

LA Football fan

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 12, 2018, 11:12:11 am
Switching styles like we are, no one knows.  However, we have as much talent on the roster as we have had during a coaching change since join the SEC based off of kids here with offers from other top schools. 

I personally think we have some young and very skilled talent at the following positions, TE, WR, RB, DB (CB and Safety).  I firmly believe we still have some good talent for the Oline as well, they just need a coach (which appears we took a major step up now), Wallace, Gibson, and Fro all should be in the starting lineup come August in my opinion.  Look at what is sitting behind them, Clenin (appears to have major upside), clary got some starting reps but really needs weight room, and you still have Jackson and Wagner.  We will be really thin, but there is still some talent there. 

I'm leaving the jury out on the defense,  but no way they go back.  there is some talent there that has been majorly misused (Ramsey, agim, smith, Harris, etc).   

With Agim and now Gerald, you could potentially have two elite DE's on defense.  Have to find some serviceable interior d lineman, which we should have.  Depth could be the biggest issue with the d line but it does have the potential to be really good.

HawgHeadCheese

RB's
DB's now that a few guys who were starting that shouldn't have graduated
LB-Greenlaw, Harris all we need is one guy to step up

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on February 12, 2018, 11:22:25 am
RB's
DB's now that a few guys who were starting that shouldn't have graduated
LB-Greenlaw, Harris all we need is one guy to step up
You have identified LB as a strength, even though you can't name who the 3rd guy should be, and you certainly can't say that we have any quality depth at this position.