Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CHAVIS AND RECRUITING

Started by Warrior Way 22, January 09, 2018, 10:42:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Warrior Way 22

Does the official announcement of Chavis as DC help with our recruiting efforts down the stretch? I've read where people say he doesn't recruit much but there has to be some type of relief with those defensive recruits that are on the fringe about Arkansas. What are y'alls thoughts?
"Warriors should suffer their pain silently."

311Hog

i think it definitely will.  Now or soon our staff will be complete and official.  I think Chavis brings at least one very important thing to this staff. Experience and SEC experience at a high level.

Pretty sure he recruits.

lumphog

Well. He's put a ton of players in the NFL and 5 years ago he was arguably the BEST DC in the country. Give the man a chance. He's my 2nd choice hands down & a GREAT hire

FraggleHog

One of our highest rated signees (Pool) was quoted and said something to the effect of "Chavis was the only reason I even considered aTm. He texted me regularly and was the only coach to do so"... I'd say that indicates Chavis does indeed recruit.
Calling the Hogs from DFW

jackflash

booogaga

From his tweets it sure sounds like he is keeping good commicaton with Emmit Gooden
GO HOGS!

ifghog

One thing Chavis brings with his name is he can get us in any recruits door. That's priceless. 

rzrbk4life

Quote from: ifghog on January 09, 2018, 11:47:20 am
One thing Chavis brings with his name is he can get us in any recruits door. That's priceless. 

This. He has instant name recognition
Let's call those hogs!!!!

liljo

Quote from: lumphog on January 09, 2018, 11:18:16 am
Well. He's put a ton of players in the NFL and 5 years ago he was arguably the BEST DC in the country. Give the man a chance. He's my 2nd choice hands down & a GREAT hire
+1
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

PorkSoda

lets not forget that he has 2 NC rings as well
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

SooieGeneris

He has name recognition like someone above said and now we have a name to give defensive recruits as to who their DC will be and I assume their position coach also.

Without that, recruits were in a holding pattern where we were concerned. Even if they had been told who the defensive staff was, until it's announced officially, there would be opponents in the kids' ears that the deal might fall through.

At every level of defense, this guy can point to someone in the NFL as someone he has recruited and coached. Line: how about Myles Garrett? LB: Deon Jones of the Falcons and others. DB: Patrick Peterson, Mathieu, and numerous others. That's big and only Venables could have come close to the names Chavis can drop.

On the offensive side, I saw on twitter that James Foster II, the QB from AL had exchanged tweets with DeShaun Watson about CM. The last coach had coached JJ Watt and Melvin Gordon and others, but I don't recall any actively helping us like what Watson seems to be doing now.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

logand02

Chavis' credentials are second 2 none. Great hire.

oldman1015

Quote from: logand02 on January 09, 2018, 08:43:15 pm
Chavis’ credentials are second 2 none. Great hire.
I agree and I bet at least 26% of our fans agree.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

AirWarren

Quote from: oldman1015 on January 10, 2018, 12:55:20 pm

Our fans are just now figuring out that Samoan descent athletes from the west coast and Hawaii are superior athletes. Thanks to television and Alabama Football. They thought they was messicans.......so........

247Hog

Quote from: AP85 on January 10, 2018, 01:38:10 pm
Our fans are just now figuring out that Samoan descent athletes from the west coast and Hawaii are superior athletes. Thanks to television and Alabama Football. They thought they was messicans.......so........

Hate to admit it but that's funny.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

AirWarren

Quote from: 247Hog on January 10, 2018, 01:45:12 pm
Hate to admit it but that's funny.

Am I wrong? LOL

Junior Seau, Rey Maualuga, Troy Polamalu, Marcus Mariota, Jeremiah Masoli, Timothy Kealii'okaaina Awa "Timmy" Chang(over 16000 yards of total offense as Hawaii's QB), Mike Iupati, Domata Peko..............

ChopSooie

I think players on defense love being aggressive. We have not had that, so even with our current roster we should see a difference.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: AP85 on January 10, 2018, 01:59:08 pm
Am I wrong? LOL

Junior Seau, Rey Maualuga, Troy Polamalu, Marcus Mariota, Jeremiah Masoli, Timothy Kealii'okaaina Awa "Timmy" Chang(over 16000 yards of total offense as Hawaii's QB), Mike Iupati, Domata Peko..............

Don't forget Kahmona'uanaleyme...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Warrior Way 22 on January 09, 2018, 10:42:27 am
Does the official announcement of Chavis as DC help with our recruiting efforts down the stretch? I've read where people say he doesn't recruit much but there has to be some type of relief with those defensive recruits that are on the fringe about Arkansas. What are y'alls thoughts?
If there are players that are leaning Arkansas but held off because they didn't know who their coach was going to be, it will help.  I don't see Chavis going out and flipping any kind of big-time recruits. 

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Just watched the presser. Chavis seemed NOT old, Not slow and Not looking back with his best years behind him. Dude is on fire and in love with CCM's plan. Toppest notch of staffs here at Arkansas.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

oldman1015

Quote from: ChopSooie on January 10, 2018, 02:35:20 pm
I think players on defense love being aggressive. We have not had that, so even with our current roster we should see a difference.
Gotta find some safeties that can outrun the opposing teams tackles. 
Arkansas, the left lane state.

311Hog

Quote from: oldman1015 on January 10, 2018, 03:00:55 pm
Gotta find some safeties that can outrun the opposing teams tackles. 

i have high hopes for M. Brown

lumphog

Quote from: oldman1015 on January 10, 2018, 12:55:20 pm
Hahaha. ..... Ain't that the truth

Dwight_K_Shrute

I have finally come to the conclusion that living in Texas (at least College Station) will suck the life out of anyone not from there. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

PorkSoda

a look at who is recruiting where

Defensive coordinator John Chavis:

Northwest Arkansas, Tennessee, Louisiana

Defensive backs coach Mark Smith:

East Central Arkansas, Ft. Worth, Southwest Dallas-Ft. Worth, Central Texas

Defensive ends coach Steve Caldwell:

North Central Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas junior colleges

Defensive backs coach Ron Cooper:

Southeast Arkansas, Louisiana, South Houston, South Florida

Defensive tackles coach John Scott Jr.

Northeast Arkansas, South Dallas, North Houston, Georgia

Offensive coordinator Joe Craddock:

Northwest Arkansas, Northwest Dallas- Ft. Worth, Alabama, Central Florida

Offensive line coach Dustin Fry:

Hot Springs, Northeast Dallas -Ft. Worth, Mississippi junior colleges, South Carolina

Tight ends coach Barry Lunney Jr.:

River Valley, Little Rock, Tulsa, Oklahoma City

Receivers coach Justin Stepp:

South Central Arkansas, Southeast Dallas-Ft. Worth, Georgia, South Carolina

Running backs coach Jeff Traylor:

East Texas, Texarkana area

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2018/jan/12/tentative-arkansas-recruiting-areas/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

ThisGuy

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 12, 2018, 06:11:57 pm
a look at who is recruiting where

Defensive coordinator John Chavis:

Northwest Arkansas, Tennessee, Louisiana

Defensive backs coach Mark Smith:

East Central Arkansas, Ft. Worth, Southwest Dallas-Ft. Worth, Central Texas

Defensive ends coach Steve Caldwell:

North Central Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas junior colleges

Defensive backs coach Ron Cooper:

Southeast Arkansas, Louisiana, South Houston, South Florida

Defensive tackles coach John Scott Jr.

Northeast Arkansas, South Dallas, North Houston, Georgia

Offensive coordinator Joe Craddock:

Northwest Arkansas, Northwest Dallas- Ft. Worth, Alabama, Central Florida

Offensive line coach Dustin Fry:

Hot Springs, Northeast Dallas -Ft. Worth, Mississippi junior colleges, South Carolina

Tight ends coach Barry Lunney Jr.:

River Valley, Little Rock, Tulsa, Oklahoma City

Receivers coach Justin Stepp:

South Central Arkansas, Southeast Dallas-Ft. Worth, Georgia, South Carolina

Running backs coach Jeff Traylor:

East Texas, Texarkana area

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2018/jan/12/tentative-arkansas-recruiting-areas/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
I love the fact that everyone will recruit in Arkansas

hawgwash

Quote from: ThisGuy on January 12, 2018, 07:22:45 pm
I love the fact that everyone will recruit in Arkansas
Yeah, that's an interesting change from the past.  I can't recall us doing that before.

FraggleHog

Quote from: hawgwash on January 12, 2018, 09:06:35 pm
Yeah, that's an interesting change from the past.  I can't recall us doing that before.

Brilliant strategy. Gives the staff bandwidth to be in every HS in the state developing relationships. That's how you truly build a fence around the state.
Calling the Hogs from DFW

RaisinHog

I'm guessing all of southwest Arkansas is the Texarkana area lol

jgphillips3

Quote from: SooieGeneris on January 09, 2018, 07:05:48 pm
He has name recognition like someone above said and now we have a name to give defensive recruits as to who their DC will be and I assume their position coach also.

Without that, recruits were in a holding pattern where we were concerned. Even if they had been told who the defensive staff was, until it's announced officially, there would be opponents in the kids' ears that the deal might fall through.

At every level of defense, this guy can point to someone in the NFL as someone he has recruited and coached. Line: how about Myles Garrett? LB: Deon Jones of the Falcons and others. DB: Patrick Peterson, Mathieu, and numerous others. That's big and only Venables could have come close to the names Chavis can drop.

On the offensive side, I saw on twitter that James Foster II, the QB from AL had exchanged tweets with DeShaun Watson about CM. The last coach had coached JJ Watt and Melvin Gordon and others, but I don't recall any actively helping us like what Watson seems to be doing now.

Don't forget Morris was the first to recognize and offer DeShaun.  I'd say with Morris owning the Offense and Chavis owning the defense, we can get pretty much any recruit on either side of the ball to at least listen.  I'll go a step further.  I'm not sure anybody in the conference has as good a combo; although Mullen/Grantham might be up there.  Saban and Kiffin was there.  If we can get the talent signed, we can do some good things in the future.

Hollywood870

Quote from: 311Hog on January 10, 2018, 03:08:32 pm
i have high hopes for M. Brown
Brown, Calloway, Pulley, Curl. Could be a good secondary next year.

ChicoHog

Quote from: AP85 on January 10, 2018, 01:59:08 pm
Am I wrong? LOL

And my all time favorite Samoan name Manu Tuiasosopo and later his son Marco Tuiasosopo!

oldfart

thinking that some years ago we had a samoan... dad was career army if i recall. seems like it was junior so and so.... defensive line

SooieGeneris

Quote from: oldfart on January 13, 2018, 09:40:32 pm
thinking that some years ago we had a samoan... dad was career army if i recall. seems like it was junior so and so.... defensive line

We've had a couple over the years. Junior Soli is who you're referring to in the Ford era I think it was.

It's hilarious (in a dumb and dumber kinda way) that some fans though Tagovailoa was "Meskin." Some people are obsesses with that country directly south of us..

SooieGeneris

Quote from: ChicoHog on January 13, 2018, 09:08:13 pm
And my all time favorite Samoan name Manu Tuiasosopo and later his son Marco Tuiasosopo!

The Dad was a really good DT, the son was terrible as a QB in the NFL, very Casey Dick-like.

Freebrd

I pulled this out of the archives just to drive a stake in the question of 'can Chavis recruit because of his age'.  Chavis' name has been tied to two of the three commits from this weekend-Myles Mason and Andrew Parker.  Hammer down on that last nail

Al Boarland

Quote from: Freebrd on January 22, 2018, 07:39:26 pm
I pulled this out of the archives just to drive a stake in the question of 'can Chavis recruit because of his age'.  Chavis' name has been tied to two of the three commits from this weekend-Myles Mason and Andrew Parker.  Hammer down on that last nail

Are these guys top 20 at their position?

liljo

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 10, 2018, 02:44:47 pm
If there are players that are leaning Arkansas but held off because they didn't know who their coach was going to be, it will help.  I don't see Chavis going out and flipping any kind of big-time recruits.

Really? Keep watching. Maybe you'll see something you like.

I know I have. I'm very excited about what this staff has done recruiting, especially defensively. Coach Chavis has already proven to me to be an absolutely great addition to this staff.

WPS!
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

Tarheelhawg

Yes Coach Chavis , The Chief, absolutely helps recruiting!!  SEC experience with a National Championship ring with many of his players matriculating to the NFL helps!!!  From humble beginnningsl at Alabama A&M to the SEC Championship level resonates with recruits : like no Arkansas defensive coordinator in recent memory.  WPS!!!

oldfart

Quote from: SooieGeneris on January 13, 2018, 09:52:01 pm
We've had a couple over the years. Junior Soli is who you're referring to in the Ford era I think it was.
   you are correct. i knew it was a junior something. as i recall a solid player for us.

It's hilarious (in a dumb and dumber kinda way) that some fans though Tagovailoa was "Meskin." Some people are obsesses with that country directly south of us..

farmhawg

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 10, 2018, 02:44:47 pm
You are a dummy.....
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Vantage 8 dude

Over the past several weeks I've had the opportunity to check with a half dozen long time Volunteer fans about Chavis and his time in Knoxville. To a person they all bemoan the fact we were able to grab him and weren't able to get him back east. They recall his very aggressive and solid defenses back in "the day" and they seem to believe he still has the fire and ability to deliver top notch teams.

Hogindasticks