Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looking for some insight from older Razorback Fans

Started by RobGob, January 26, 2015, 03:46:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GTOWNHOG

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on January 26, 2015, 02:37:01 pm
Yeah. Set a Cotton Bowl record of 568 yards of offense and two hundred yard rushers.

Outgained Tennessee and even had 31 first downs.

Quinn Grovey played that game with the FLU and a fever.  Early in the game he threw an interception in the end zone as we were going in to score.  As I remember it, the TN running back broke a long run for a TD a play or two after that.  14 point swing.  We lost 31-27.
Good luck to ALL of our Razorback teams!!

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: GTOWNHOG on January 26, 2015, 04:23:17 pm
Quinn Grovey played that game with the FLU and a fever.  Early in the game he threw an interception in the end zone as we were going in to score.  As I remember it, the TN running back broke a long run for a TD a play or two after that.  14 point swing.  We lost 31-27.

I remember that game, if for no other reason, than I was bedridden sick, coughing and throwing up every hour or two. Our loss made it that much more painful.
This is my non-signature signature.

OldCoot

Quote from: redeye on January 26, 2015, 04:12:38 pm
It was huge, but the SEC wasn't considered the best conference back then.  Leading up to our entrance, there was talk of creating superconferences and one would supposedly include Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma and LSU, IIRC.  Much of that talk was legit, but something always fell through.

The SEC was considered better then the SWC, but probably not as much as it is with the B1G today, so there wasn't this large gap some fans believe existed.  In fact, many of us figured the biggest difference was that the SEC received more attention from the NE media, which controlled media topics back then.

That's just false.  We were expected to compete for SEC Championships regularly, but the bottom fell out of Arkansas football in 1990.  When comparing numbers and stats for Arkansas and SEC teams, try looking at what they were in '92, when we entered the SEC, and you'll find we were right there with the Big 6 in most things.

I'm guessing this conversation with Broyles happened in the late '90's or later, because that's about when what you claim Broyles said became true.  The other schools may have had more money and resources, but the same could be said about Texas A&M and we dominated them for decades.  The difference in money and resources is largely due to the gap in alumni and other schools/states were more aggressive then Arkansas, which held us back after joining the SEC, imo, but the difference wasn't so large before then.

Oh no, if I remember this correctly it was at the Dallas club meeting right before the wheels fell of the Nutt bus.  Was the beginning of the end for Coach Broyles.

redeye

To give a better idea of where Arkansas stood when it entered the SEC, just look at ESPN's Prestige Rankings, which have been compiled and broken down by decade.  These have been updated every 10 years since around the late nineties, I think.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

If you notice under every top-25 team, you'll find where that team stood for each decade since 1958.  Here's where each SEC team stood in 1988, or 4 years before we joined the SEC, among the teams currently ranked in the top-25 all-time.  Teams outside the top-25 don't include this data, so I can't do them.

2. Alabama
7. Texas
10. Tennessee
11. Georgia
12. LSU
14. Arkansas
16. Ole Miss
20. Texas A&M
21. Auburn
43. Florida

Note that Arkansas is really penalized for the period before 1958, coming in at 47th, or well behind everyone on the list above except Florida.  That may or may not be fair, but I don't place much stock in polls before the 1950's, because they're so wishy-washy.  Regardless, we were on the same level as Tennessee, Georgia and LSU in '88, as top-10-15 teams historically, and ahead of Ole Miss, Texas A&M, Auburn and Florida.  If you discard the pre-1958 era, we'd obviously rise and might even pass a few teams in front of us, which means that between 1958 and 1988, Arkansas was a very good team.

(Note that the decade rankings are all cumulative, so despite being one of the top-5 teams for the sixties, we're only ranked 18th in 1968 here.)

redeye

Quote from: OldCoot on January 26, 2015, 05:12:58 pm
Oh no, if I remember this correctly it was at the Dallas club meeting right before the wheels fell of the Nutt bus.  Was the beginning of the end for Coach Broyles.

So 2006-7?  That sounds accurate.  My point was just that things were different when we entered the SEC.  It didn't take long for us to find our place as the 7th best team, but that came after we had fallen and other SEC teams had risen.

LTHog

I just wanted to say thanks to OP for making this thread, and thanks to the 'old timers' that posted and replied, I'm 30 now and I remember my dads dimeanor changing when Madre Hill injured his knee. I think that's one of the things that brought me into being a fan...it was 'important' in my household at that moment in time.

Anyway, I've been a lurker here for a year or more, and I liked this thread and its replies enough to create an account, thanks again to the OP and a special thanks to all of the well thought out replies.

*edit: misspelled Madre Hill
DYAC

bigbadhog

Quote from: OldCoot on January 26, 2015, 07:56:32 am
At least during the Hatfield years I feel we were similar to Georgia today.  Always "should" get to the big game, but not, but also always winning consistently.  Thoughts?

Weak competition.  Hatfield would have wet himself
If he faced an sec type schedule...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

ATLHog

I remember the Holtz era being the most exciting- clearly remember when this came out:

[attachment deleted by admin]

jjsam

Well I'm 71 & a product of the 60's...bruisemeister pretty much said it all!! A good read! Enjoyed it!  JFB got the Hogs started with some very good years, 64,65,66 hogs were really good! Yes I do remember the 69 game being there even shed a tear...we will never know the impact of that game had on the State of Arkansas...so close! Hotz could beat Texas at Home but couldn't beat them in Austin & Hatfield won twice in Austin but not in Fayetteville. Go figure!! But it is always good to beat Texass, I don't think Coach B understands the way it was with Texass in the old days...still wish he had score again in Texas Bowl...all the Texass head coaches would have score again if they were that situation!! even  Hog native Fred Akers! I love Coach Hatfield but Hog Nation will never know what could have been with Coach Jimmy Johnson!

snoblind

Quote from: flippinhogmana on January 26, 2015, 04:15:08 pm
But we did not have over 85 people who were on the roster who participated in getting financial support, who used university facilities, who participated in practices and who played in games.  I think that the only ones who can take financial support and use facilities and not count against the 85 limit are those who have medically retired from competition.  I believe they are allowed to remain on scholarship and receive pt at campus facilities and not count against the 85.  As to the 106 roster you cite (1) I dont know of its accuracy as I haven't looked into it (2) I cant answer for that but, the NCAA set the 85 limit, not me or the other posters.

As to rosters-if someone wants to show up at practice that is (1) enrolled in the university and (2) on his own dime, he may be listed on the roster I believe and not count against the 85 limit (which is I think a scholarship limit) if he doesn't dress out, and certainly does not play, and I think there are some other conditions in place these days.  I have looked at the roster sometimes and check in on players who are seniors and seen that they have never played a down, what does that say?

We can 85 on full athletic scholarship.  That is NCAA imposed limit.  I don't think there is a restriction on a walk on either dressing out or playing.  Every year there is usually a few kids put on
scholarship because of player loss.  Those have usually contributed in some way like special teams. 

PonderinHog

Quote from: snoblind on January 26, 2015, 07:24:13 pm
We can 85 on full athletic scholarship.  That is NCAA imposed limit.  I don't think there is a restriction on a walk on either dressing out or playing.  Every year there is usually a few kids put on
scholarship because of player loss.  Those have usually contributed in some way like special teams.
With the occasional All American walk-on thrown in...

flippinhogmana

Quote from: snoblind on January 26, 2015, 07:24:13 pm

I am far from an expert on the subject (way far from) but I believe it is more restrictive than that otherwise it would be fairly easy to "bank" players by doing the same old, same old of foundation scholarships and grants, etc. 

In the old days, as I recall there was about sixty or more shoats alone, mostly walkons (in the freshman class), and a hundred or so on the varsity.  Teams like Oklahoma, Nebraska, Texas and Alabama, had a lot more as I recall.  Its been a long time, so I can quote specific figures anymore, its just my recollection.  Its also getting pretty far afield from the subject of the thread so I am going to leave it there for the last time.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

jmb1973

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 26, 2015, 07:36:44 am
Arkansas has not had a coach since Broyles who managed the recruiting process as well as Bielema does. That's a pretty early evaluation, given how long it takes to read the quality of recruiting. It is clear that Bielema manages the process of recruiting closely, ensures maximum effort by the whole staff, and hires people who are talented in coaching and recruiting.

People should not use Arkansas's previous SEC history as a measure of what the Razorbacks can do in this league. Give Bielema's system a chance to prove itself. He is doing things previous coaches never even attempted, as far as putting in sound schemes, recruiting consistently to man them, and establishing a clear identity on both sides of the football. Nobody who has coached Arkansas in SEC days came even close to doing that. People on Hogville and the Pigpen and UARK listserver before it begged for somebody to simply put in a consistent, comprehensive recruiting program. It was laughable to watch people give up on competing in the SEC, when the Hogs had never made a serious effort to do so.

In the long run, my guess is Arkansas's ability to compete for the SEC championship depends primarily on these factors:

1) Consistency - Building depth and putting the right talents at each position.
2) Talent at pivotal positions - QB, TB, WR, OT, DT, S.
3) Strength of schedule + lapses of consistency in other programs.

Arkansas first has to get in the game by continuously building toward its personnel acquisition and developmental goals. Get in the game, then we can talk about what's possible. Bielema's got this team ahead of Crowe-Ford-Nutt-Petrino in some ways. Petrino had talent at QB and WR that the current team had not been able to match. Let's see where we stand next season. On defense -- Really hate seeing Philon depart; seems foolish. But the overall talent/depth levels are rising.

And I'm optimistic about the offense improving, maybe a lot, this season. Biggest talent question for me is at WR -- will the Hogs have any receivers who can attack the middle of the field? Other than tight ends, that is. Beyond WR, I'd say Arkansas is going to bring competitive talent across the board. Let's call the WR question up in the air for now.

But don't listen to the weak-kneed ninnies who are scared of other SEC teams' talent. Last I heard, Ole Miss and LSU signed a lot more 5-stars than Arkansas did. Do we have the kinds of players we need to run what we want to run? That is the only question that matters.

Probably the best analysis I've heard on or off Hogville. Well done.

pigbacon

21st century Beliema=20th century Broyles when adjusted for inflation.

We've got a keeper, IMO. Beliema is every bit of the coach that Broyles always wishes he could've hired.

jmb1973

Quote from: jjsam on January 26, 2015, 07:15:00 pm
Well I'm 71 & a product of the 60's...bruisemeister pretty much said it all!! A good read! Enjoyed it!  JFB got the Hogs started with some very good years, 64,65,66 hogs were really good! Yes I do remember the 69 game being there even shed a tear...we will never know the impact of that game had on the State of Arkansas...so close! Hotz could beat Texas at Home but couldn't beat them in Austin & Hatfield won twice in Austin but not in Fayetteville. Go figure!! But it is always good to beat Texass, I don't think Coach B understands the way it was with Texass in the old days...still wish he had score again in Texas Bowl...all the Texass head coaches would have score again if they were that situation!! even  Hog native Fred Akers! I love Coach Hatfield but Hog Nation will never know what could have been with Coach Jimmy Johnson!

I still think not punching the ball in on those last few plays was a bigger slap in the face to Texas than actually scoring. You never want the opposition to show pity on you. It's humiliating. I would personally rather be given a death punch than have someone pick me off the mat, pat my back, and tell me nice try.

snoblind

Quote from: flippinhogmana on January 26, 2015, 07:58:11 pm
I am far from an expert on the subject (way far from) but I believe it is more restrictive than that otherwise it would be fairly easy to "bank" players by doing the same old, same old of foundation scholarships and grants, etc. 

In the old days, as I recall there was about sixty or more shoats alone, mostly walkons (in the freshman class), and a hundred or so on the varsity.  Teams like Oklahoma, Nebraska, Texas and Alabama, had a lot more as I recall.  Its been a long time, so I can quote specific figures anymore, its just my recollection.  Its also getting pretty far afield from the subject of the thread so I am going to leave it there for the last time.

Yes, it is much different than it used to be.  Only athletic scholarships are allowed to support Football and men's basketball players.  I'm pretty sure that the walk on players get some stuff, if only a pregame meal when dressing out.  Obviously they are able to use facilities, equipment, etc.  I assume the same applies to women's basketball, but don't know. 

In track and baseball there are partial athletic scholies, but those kids can also get academic and other help.

Back in the day Nebraska was known for their stockpiling of linemen.  They would bring in those farm boys and put them in a Ag program on full scholarship.  In their junior and senior years those ready to play would be switched to football scholarships.

if someone wanted to look behind the scenes of 60's big time football there is "Meat on the Hoof" if you can find a copy.  It's Texas, not Arkansas.  Kind of sad, the way the author's life turned out after the book.

elksnort

Quote from: RobGob on January 26, 2015, 03:46:13 am
As a younger Hog fan, I don't remember anything pre-Nutt era.  Even though I've lived in Arkansas my entire life, I didn't become a fan and start following Razorback football until I was 13-14 yrs old, around 2001, when Matt Jones started to show out. 

So, my main question for the older fans is this: How does this era (the BB era) compare to previous eras in Razorback football history? 

I'd like to know how older Hog fans (who can remember way back) view the Nutt/Petrino/Bielema eras vs. the Hatfield/Holtz/Crowe/Ford/Broyles eras.  Differences? Similarities? Is there anything surprising/different about the current Bielema era that stands out to you when compared to all previous eras? How does the current hype/excitement level for the FB program compare to past seasons in the 80's/90's?

I'm just kind of curious what fans who have seen all the ups and downs over the past 40 years think about the current state of the program and where it is headed.  Would love to see some older fans drop a little wisdom here!
Just ask your cuz.   
Very good set of questions though.

hoglady

Quote from: bigbadhog on January 26, 2015, 06:47:54 pm
Weak competition.  Hatfield would have wet himself
If he faced an sec type schedule...

Hatfield faced a very crippled SWC - so many schools were facing NCAA sanctions.
Don't think he would have fared well in the SEC.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

pigmailyen

I remember the day a good friend told me that Arkansas was joining the SEC.  Mind you, this was in the days of horse-drawn news--no internet.  I didn't believe him until the teevee confirmed it that night.  Quite a thrill.

dcrback

From an old fart...75 years young and still calling the Hogs...I just hope I live long enough to see a second national championship!
Went to my first game in 1954 and haven't stopped yet. :D ;)
Life is simpler when you plow around the stumps...and yes, I would have sold guns to the Indians!

elksnort

Quote from: dcrback on January 26, 2015, 09:16:54 pm
From an old fart...75 years young and still calling the Hogs...I just hope I live long enough to see a second national championship!
Went to my first game in 1954 and haven't stopped yet. :D ;)
+150

pigmailyen

P.S.--I got hangnails older than you. Now get off my lawn!

Been around for a long, long time.  Nearly every post in this thread carries good stories and accurate info.  Back during those 10 game seasons, it was true that most conferences had only 2 or 3 teams capable of winning conference.  Pac 8 had USC and UCLA, SWC had Arkansas and Texas, Big 8 had NEB and OK, Big 10 had Ohio ST, Mich and Mich ST but usually only 2 of those during the same year, ND as an independent, and GA, BAMA, TN and LSU in the SEC.  Truth is you had only 1 or 2 tough games per year unless you chose to get into one of cross country games like Texas/USC or ND/USC etc..  There were maybe 15 teams that had any real chance at the top 5 or top 10.  It is my opinion that winning a conference championship in the SEC was tougher way back then just due to the # of teams that could beat you, much as it is today. 

As for it being easy to win 7 games back then, its true, but you still had to win 4 conference games much like today.  You could line up 3 gimmes in OOC and usually find 4 conference teams you could whip.  With a 12 game schedule today, you should be able to win 8 pretty easy but we don't.  With 4 OOC gimmes available, you still only need 4 conference games to win 8 today.  Winning 8 today is a .667 winning percentage while winning 7 of 10 gave you a 70 percent winning percentage back then.

There is no doubt that for the times, Arkansas was considered a much better program and team in the 60s and 70s than today. 

Today, there are at least 35 teams annually that you could not rule out of maybe ending up in the top by seasons end.  Point is theres still only one top 10 and only one NC but far more possibilities gunning for it.

RobGob

January 26, 2015, 10:48:19 pm #73 Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 11:03:04 pm by RobGob
Quote from: LTHog on January 26, 2015, 06:23:46 pm
I just wanted to say thanks to OP for making this thread, and thanks to the 'old timers' that posted and replied, I'm 30 now and I remember my dads dimeanor changing when Madre Hill injured his knee. I think that's one of the things that brought me into being a fan...it was 'important' in my household at that moment in time.

Anyway, I've been a lurker here for a year or more, and I liked this thread and its replies enough to create an account, thanks again to the OP and a special thanks to all of the well thought out replies.

*edit: misspelled Madre Hill
DYAC

+1! I appreciate it. This thread really delivers, and I'm glad it got you to make an account.  Thanks to everyone for all the great replies.  Lots of well written posts in here - really, really good read.  I've been dropping +1's to everyone that has contributed. Hope there will be more.

RobGob

Quote from: elksnort on January 26, 2015, 08:44:39 pm
Just ask your cuz.   
Very good set of questions though.

I gotta come by again soon! Shoot me a text whenever

urkillnmesmalls

In 1998, HDN took a group of Danny Ford's players and was probably a freak stumble fumble away from playing for the NC.  I contend that if that's possible with a coach that has been proven to be mediocre, then there's no reason we can't rise up and compete with anyone in the coming years under CBB.

Back in the SWC days, to beat Texas, you had to be able to stand up to 3.5 yards and a cloud of dust.  And you could watch the first 5 minutes of the game, and know immediately if we were going to be able to compete with them that season or not.  So we HAD to have tough players in the trenches just to be able to compete against Texas, which is what typically kept us at the top of the conference minus UT's dominance over us.  If we were at least able to compete, we typically managed to lose on a last second FG or something bizarre, but in the years where the first few series went poorly, I don't recall use EVER coming back on Texas.  It was just a pounding on the way.  Remind you of anything current?       

Only time will tell if it will work or not, but CBB is building this team from the trenches, and I LOVE that concept.  We had a field littered with skill players of the collective likes that we may never see again in 2010 and 2011, and we got run over by Bama both years (although admittedly in 2010 we were close but ran out of depth late).  Point is...to me that showed that we can't beat the SEC's elite week in and week out without having the beef to stand up to the weekly grind.  I feel strongly that CBB knows that too, and that's the starting point. 

I've said it before, and I still believe it.  He may succeed in developing a dominant offensive line, a defense that is among the best in the SEC, but if we don't have some truly elite skill players come along who are DIFFERENCE MAKERS, he may not ever get where he wants to go.  We have to believe that hard work will make for good luck, and that we'll get a DMAC, Cam Newton, Mariota, Vince Young, Julio Jones, or similar players who can lead the team and make plays that most players can't at some point along the way. 

What I like is the concept that...let's get players that can block for the skill players, a defense that can stop people, and then when the skill players do come...we'll be ready for that quantum leap.  I find that approach MUCH more likely to succeed long term than running out and getting a boat load of skill players that you HOPE will be difference makers, and then HOPING you'll be able to block for them. 

We saw great strides on defense, and I think we'll start to see interest from some elite defenders in the coming years as well.  I really like the direction the program is going in, and I think STABILITY is something that is absolutely necessary for a school in the situation that the UA is in. 

In '78 we were VERY close to a NC, and I still contend we have a claim for a share.  Point is...we had a lot of upper classmen who were seasoned.  It was the same in '98 when HDN took over, and we were a freak fumble from probably playing for a NC.  I think a HUGE key for our program is having upper classmen playing well above the level they were when they entered the program, and that will ONLY come from stability.  I'm hopeful CBB is here long enough to establish that, and the UA gets the chance to compete for accolades again.       
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Rzback

Sorry for the delay answering your question RobGob but my computer got infected.

"Was the switch to the SEC a pretty big deal at that time?"

I remember many Hogs fans felt that the SWC was ignoring Arkansas as we were the only non-Texas school. When Broyles announced that we were moving to the SEC I don't think we as fans realized how much difference there was and we have been trying to catch up ever since. I think most of us old-timers remember how it was and want it to be that way again but times have changed especially being in the SEC. If we were in a weaker conference, it might seem more like it used to be, much like TCU and Baylor are experiencing today.
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

89ALUM

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 26, 2015, 09:05:55 am
The Biggest change is that I know more than I used to because of ESPN and Expanded College Football Coverage on TV add the WWW and we are blessed today.   In the 1960-70's you got one or Two College Games on Saturday only. I listened to most of the games on the Radio.  Hogs vs Texas or Hogs vs TAMU were usually the only ones that got on TV.  The Rest of the Time it was Texas/OU , Mich/OSU, USC/ND and such on the TV.

I listened to the radio a ton as well.  I remember either going to games, or doing the radio thing throughout the 70's and 80's.  No internet back then!

When I was on the hill in the 80's, there were very few times when the Hogs were on TV.  Usually once a year, if that.
I'm in shape.  Round is a shape.

"That's what." - she

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Rzback on January 27, 2015, 05:37:08 am
Sorry for the delay answering your question RobGob but my computer got infected.

"Was the switch to the SEC a pretty big deal at that time?"

I remember many Hogs fans felt that the SWC was ignoring Arkansas as we were the only non-Texas school. When Broyles announced that we were moving to the SEC I don't think we as fans realized how much difference there was and we have been trying to catch up ever since. I think most of us old-timers remember how it was and want it to be that way again but times have changed especially being in the SEC. If we were in a weaker conference, it might seem more like it used to be, much like TCU and Baylor are experiencing today.

What hurt Baylor and TCU was not playing anyone OOC. But how much will that matter when the playoff gets expanded?

bruisemeister

Quote from: texas tush hog on January 26, 2015, 12:11:36 pm
Yea, two SWC championships and Cotton Bowls in a row with 11-2 records both years. If not for a Steve Atwater dropped interception in the end zone against top ranked Miami in 1988 we go 11-0. Ran up sky high numbers against Tennessee in the last one.  Oh for the wheels to fall off again.
[/quote
The bad thing about 88 is the Hogs may not have played for the title even going undefeated with a win over Miami. The Norte Dame-West Virginia championship scenario was really being pushed. Who knows, a Hog win could have changed it. That is one of the many reasons that I'm glad for a playoff.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: GTOWNHOG on January 26, 2015, 04:23:17 pm

I was at that Cotton Bowl It made me sick to see us come up short.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

MJ2

The big TV money and ESPN, etc. have changed the college football landscape entirely.   I enjoy it more today I think than ever and I go back to the '60"s and '70's when the only teams you could and did follow were the Hogs and some of the Texas (opponents) teams and you had to do that thru the written word of Orville and others.   In effect you got what Frank wanted you to get and you certainly didn't have the unedited and sometimes slanted info you get from social media today.    The times and the games were totally different then than now.

I hope someday that we can return to 10 team conferences and everyone plays everyone in conference and the Champs go to the playoffs, etc..  Here in the SEC, unless its the very rare occasion where several elite teams falter in the same year, most of us have no real chance to win the NC.  BAMA, LSU, FLA and GA likely have the best overall opportunity to win it all followed by Aub, TN, then Ark, A&M, SC and OM with MSU, KY, MO and Vandy at the rear.

Much like MSU did this past season, everyone has some small chance of making NC noise but truthfully, any real chance is very far reaching. 

While we are fighting 4 to 7 really good teams annually here in the SEC, OKLA meets TX and maybe one other upstart annually that should be able to stay with them, so maybe 2 or 3 at most real games between them and being Conference champs.  Yeah, I know TCU and Baylor recently but thats just recently, go look.  Point is, a team like OKLA in a 10 team conference has a situation similar to the 60s and 70s and it will pay off with more opportunities for them.

3dawghawg

I am 65 and have many fond memories of Razorback football. I will say this, the postings on this subject have been some of the best and most informing that I have ever read on this sight. + 1 to all. I only have one thing to add. Coach Broyles surrounded himself with great assistant coaches and it seems like CBB is doing the same. WPS

longpig

Quote from: popcornhog on January 26, 2015, 08:19:40 am
We must've been watching different programming on the SECN this year. Despite being in the midst of a 17 game SEC losing streak, AU heard a lot of "watch out for Arkansas," and "Bielema is building a contender" on the SEC Network.
Which is more than what Tennessee, Kentucky and Vandy got for their 1/14th ownership.
Don't be scared, be smart.

longpig

Quote from: Hawghiggs on January 27, 2015, 06:19:23 am

What hurt Baylor and TCU was not playing anyone OOC. But how much will that matter when the playoff gets expanded?
Or when/ if they play more than a couple ranked teams in conference, and a conference championship game.
Don't be scared, be smart.

gohogs1969

Good subject. Makes me really proud whenever I go to Razorback games and see our younger fans who are as die hard as me. I go back to Lou Holtz's first year. I barely remember Coach Broyles on the sidelines but I do have memories of him as our HC. Back in the day we were always in the top 20. Wasn't a top 25 back then. The SEC is a whole different animal than the SWC. No playing Rice, Houston, etc..But having said that, an SEC championship would be so much sweeter than ever winning an SWC title.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: 89ALUM on January 27, 2015, 05:53:31 am
I listened to the radio a ton as well.  I remember either going to games, or doing the radio thing throughout the 70's and 80's.  No internet back then!

When I was on the hill in the 80's, there were very few times when the Hogs were on TV.  Usually once a year, if that.

Yep the past 7-10 years has spoiled me.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: longpig on January 27, 2015, 10:13:50 am
Or when/ if they play more than a couple ranked teams in conference, and a conference championship game.
I think your correct. TCU barely missed the playoffs. I don't think a championship game matters as much as people think. But playing ranked teams and a quality OOC opponent does. People need to take a hard look at way Chris Lowe is talking about in the article.  http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/97388/playoff-may-not-be-sec-party-some-envisioned

SamBuckhart

1967 was my first year living in Arkansas. JFB was a great coach but he ran the ball too much in his later teams. So some of the fans said. Holtz never seemed comfortable here. Had some great teams though. Hatfield ran the ball too much it was said. Won many games though. Ford was another uncomfortable coach. But gave us a SEC west champ. Nutt came with much fanfare. He ran the ball too much(see smoke draw). Anyone see a pattern. We will run the ball with authority under CBB. I sure hope he stays a long time and wins many SEC Championships. The football is still best in the SEC and JFB was a real visionary to get us in. I believe Arkansas has a chance to win it all this year. Hey, it could happen. I'm 59 and still have a dream.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Hawghiggs

Quote from: 12247 on January 27, 2015, 09:08:44 am
I hope someday that we can return to 10 team conferences and everyone plays everyone in conference and the Champs go to the playoffs, etc..  Here in the SEC, unless its the very rare occasion where several elite teams falter in the same year, most of us have no real chance to win the NC.  BAMA, LSU, FLA and GA likely have the best overall opportunity to win it all followed by Aub, TN, then Ark, A&M, SC and OM with MSU, KY, MO and Vandy at the rear.

Much like MSU did this past season, everyone has some small chance of making NC noise but truthfully, any real chance is very far reaching. 

While we are fighting 4 to 7 really good teams annually here in the SEC, OKLA meets TX and maybe one other upstart annually that should be able to stay with them, so maybe 2 or 3 at most real games between them and being Conference champs.  Yeah, I know TCU and Baylor recently but thats just recently, go look.  Point is, a team like OKLA in a 10 team conference has a situation similar to the 60s and 70s and it will pay off with more opportunities for them.

Completely agree. Within one season of having a playoff everything has changed.  As long as the 10 team conference had enough competitive teams. Then why bother with a championship game? At least with a 10 team conference you actually get to play all of your conference mates.