Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How often (if ever)

Started by Prestworthy, January 24, 2015, 03:10:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Prestworthy

Did we see both JWill and AC in the game together?  The best two players on the offense need to be on the field as much as possible IMO

The_Hog_Father

I always wondered why we didn't do these things to keep the defense on a swivel.

This coming season we will have a lot more depth at RB and more playmakers at TE and WR, so I hope to see more formations that keep the defense honest and keep our two main backs fresh.  :razorback:

Prestworthy

Quote from: Pigs in Zen on January 24, 2015, 03:13:27 pm
I always wondered why we didn't do these things to keep the defense on a swivel.

This coming season we will have a lot more depth at RB and more playmakers at TE and WR, so I hope to see more formations that keep the defense honest.  :razorback:
How many other teams could say, "Yeah, our best players play about half of the game."  It just makes sense.  Even Nutt knew DMAC and Felix were too good to keep off the field, so he changed his offense to make it happen.  I remember Felix coming in motion in many plays.  AC would be great in motion, especially if he has to make one guy miss.

Tim Harris

I would assume they didn't because we have no one behind them. One goes then when he needs a break the other comes in.

Bama has a lot more depth at RB than we do and I don't remember them having Yeldon and Henry on the field at the same time.

ricepig

Quote from: Tim Harris on January 24, 2015, 03:18:48 pm
I would assume they didn't because we have no one behind them. One goes then when he needs a break the other comes in.

Bama has a lot more depth at RB than we do and I don't remember them having Yeldon and Henry on the field at the same time.

Enos likes the 20 look, I wonder if we'll see it here, wouldn't bother me.

HogMantheIntruder

That's something I'd like to see a little bit more of as well.  I've thought our run game has been very vanilla during CBB's tenure, but I blame that on Chaney.  Running the ball was definitely not  his forte.  I expect our new OC to be much more dynamic with the running game, similar to what GM did before Nutt took back over play calling.  The exciting part is that even with a vanilla run game, we still had two 1,000 yard backs.  Just way until Enos gets his hands on all this talent he has to work with.  I'm sure he's loving it more and more the more he gets to see what he has.  It's like the antithesis of CBB's reaction when he first arrived. 
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Tim Harris

Quote from: ricepig on January 24, 2015, 03:21:09 pm

I wouldn't be surprised to see it sprinkled in every now and then but doubt we see it that often.

Personally I don't care if he leaves our running game exactly the same. That part has been working. I'm hoping he can improve our passing game. We throw the ball plenty as long as we capitalize on the times we do throw it.

RazorOkie

Both of them in the game will require somebody like a TE or FB to come out, I think if you asked Either J-Will or Buddha they would prefer more traditional personnel to insure quality carries.  Using Two feature Tailbacks in some packages to change things up or "get cute" would be ok on occasion. Spilt Tailbacks in a Shotgun formation is pretty normal in pro-style schemes.

ricepig

Quote from: Tim Harris on January 24, 2015, 03:26:54 pm
I wouldn't be surprised to see it sprinkled in every now and then but doubt we see it that often.

Personally I don't care if he leaves our running game exactly the same. That part has been working. I'm hoping he can improve our passing game. We throw the ball plenty as long as we capitalize on the times we do throw it.

I think Bielema wants more out of the run game, it wouldn't surprise me to see some knew wrinkles.

FANONTHEHILL

I think it has more to do with style.  When we had Darren & Felix we had a few good lineman, but relied mainly on sweeps, counters, and zone blocking up front.  J-Will and Alex are more between  the tackles downhill rushers.  Not the level of speed as Darren or Felix.  Wildcat for example worked because of speed, not power. We are now a power running team and I think Coach B values having an extra blocker (TE, FB, or extra OL) rather than using dual back looks.  We will see a wrinkle now and then, but don't look for two tailbacks very often.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

MuskogeeHogFan

I think we may see more 2 RB sets than we expect and, he likes to throw out of what appears to be running sets. His last three years at CMU his QB's had an average of a 60.4% completion percentage and averaged 232 yards per game.

The only thing that bothers me is that his QB's threw 1 INT for every 28.2 attempts and they averaged 30 passing attempts per game. Last year we averaged throwing 1 INT in every 59.8 passing attempts and averaged about 28 attempts per game.
Go Hogs Go!

The NewEra

Just my personal opinion, but I thought we tried to run it up the gut too often when there were 8 or 9 in the box.  I would like to see the RB's given the latitude to bounce it outside when it's open.  I especially trust J Will to beat one guy to the edge.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: The NewEra on January 25, 2015, 08:47:14 am
Just my personal opinion, but I thought we tried to run it up the gut too often when there were 8 or 9 in the box.  I would like to see the RB's given the latitude to bounce it outside when it's open.  I especially trust J Will to beat one guy to the edge.

Unfortunately the only RB we had with the speed to bounce it outside against SEC defenses was Marshall.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The NewEra on January 25, 2015, 08:47:14 am

I think you are going to see more sets with 2 RB's from which we throw in some of those situations. Having success in that case will back that 8 in the box off the LOS which in turn should create greater success running the middle.
Go Hogs Go!

bville_hog

Quote from: Prestworthy on January 24, 2015, 03:15:58 pm
How many other teams could say, "Yeah, our best players play about half of the game."  It just makes sense.  Even Nutt knew DMAC and Felix were too good to keep off the field, so he changed his offense to make it happen.  I remember Felix coming in motion in many plays.  AC would be great in motion, especially if he has to make one guy miss.

Nutt had absolutely nothing to do with that idea.

The NewEra

Quote from: ImHogginIt on January 25, 2015, 08:53:17 am
Unfortunately the only RB we had with the speed to bounce it outside against SEC defenses was Marshall.

I've seen Collins juke guys right out of their shorts and J Will has a great stiff arm.  I think they would do well given the chance to go one on one.

hawg1221

Doing the 2 back scheme would effect the "freshness" of both running backs.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hawg1221 on January 25, 2015, 10:37:21 am

They'll mix FB's and 3rd team RB's with #1 and #2 RB's in a 2 RB scheme when they use it, which won't be every play. I doubt we will see JWill or AC worn out in this scheme.
Go Hogs Go!

longpig

Or we could be more like Georgia and run our best back till he break him.
Don't be scared, be smart.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: longpig on January 25, 2015, 11:52:00 am

Not likely.
Go Hogs Go!

Hawgzinbowlz

CBB seems to like a fresh, primary back in at all times and I doubt if this changes very much. As CDE has coached both QB and RB he may have some new wrinkles, that would include both JWill and AC although I don't see this very often, if at all.
CBB likes a FB that is a hammer at blocking and our two back sets will likely stay as they have been.
To have a fresh top tier SEC RB in the game at all times keeps us in great position to have positive yardage on each running play.
Coach Enos coaching experience gives reason for optimism that our '15 offensive game plan will improve, and it would add some interest if he has some efficient plays that would include both JWill and AC on a few plays.

" GO HOGS "

Pork Twain

January 25, 2015, 01:14:14 pm #21 Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 03:15:20 pm by Pork Twain
Quote from: Prestworthy on January 24, 2015, 03:10:34 pm
Did we see both JWill and AC in the game together?  The best two players on the offense need to be on the field as much as possible IMO
I can see us doing this every once in a while but it does not pay to do this over a long SEC season.  Need to keep our backs fresh and healthy.  I could see our #3 and #4 backs seeing the field much more.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on January 24, 2015, 03:21:09 pm

My new-age jargon is a little rusty, but I'm assuming that 20 is two RB's and no TE's.  In other words, surely Enos will see to it that Henry isn't split out very often.  He needs to be in what we used to call the '3' spot......not split out wide.  At least not all the time.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: longpig on January 25, 2015, 11:52:00 am
To be honest, I would like to see us keep whoever has the hot hand in a little longer.  Last season it seemed like we subbed a little early at times.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Youngsta71701

I think the way he uses them is just fine. Keeps the both of them fresh and doesn't over work them. If anything I would just let them rotate drives or take one out and put the other in when they show fatigue.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

The_Iceman

Everyone thinks its that simple, but its not. There is no point in having them both in there. They are too similar to put in the backfield together. This isn't Dmac and Felix.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

DeltaBoy

I would love to see a 2 back set with a combo of RB FB and TE in the mix.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hoggish1

Quote from: hawg1221 on January 25, 2015, 10:37:21 am

If that were to happen, we will see a 3rd back to give them rest.  We'll have that good 3rd back this year. 

Biggus Piggus

OMG they are the same person!
[CENSORED]!

Pigsknuckles

"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"