Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2015 Hogs #4 in Sporting News poll

Started by sasnakra1960, January 24, 2015, 11:59:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny J

Atlhogfan1

It was posted before Philon and others from other programs announced they were leaving early.  It was dumb then for us and even more so now considering the production lost off of the defense and the schedule.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 24, 2015, 12:16:21 pm
It was posted before Philon and others from other programs announced they were leaving early.  It was dumb then for us and even more so now considering the production lost off of the defense and the schedule.

Set your hopes low. Leave the rest of us alone...  ;)
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

MuskogeeHogFan

That tends to be common line of thinking and I can understand how you might think that way, but we have a lot of good kids on the team and coming in to replace them that might offer little, if any, drop off in production. Time will tell.
Go Hogs Go!

Tusks

who else for the hogs left other than philon that would be considered a difference make in that article?
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

razorbacker3

What I liked was he only talked about Ohio State and us. Nobody else was even mentioned. WPS

scruf

Tusks

if auburn can do it, the hogs can do it.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 24, 2015, 02:12:24 pm
That tends to be common line of thinking and I can understand how you might think that way, but we have a lot of good kids on the team and coming in to replace them that might offer little, if any, drop off in production. Time will tell.

We'll know before bedtime on the 26th of September if the coaching staff was able to do this. The depth issues will be identified before bedtime on the 10th of October.

I do like having Auburn after a bye-week next season.
This is my non-signature signature.

Hoggish1

You get to post what you want, but I like the attention.  2nd: I believe OC DE will be one of the best coaching additions of any SEC team toward increasing the fortunes of their team.

Unfortunately, we have been at cross purposes (HC to OC ) for two years.  This move is going to really elevate BA.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 25, 2015, 10:14:12 am
You get to post what you want, but I like the attention.  2nd: I believe OC DE will be one of the best coaching additions of any SEC team toward increasing the fortunes of their team.

Unfortunately, we have been at cross purposes (HC to OC ) for two years.  This move is going to really elevate BA.

It is great attention.  But this is very reminiscent of after the 2012 Cotton Bowl where the losses of some very productive defensive players were overlooked.  Before the accident, we were being overhyped. 

The hope is now that stability has led to defensive players more ready to step up and fill the void as Muskogee points out.  And they may be. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Pig in the Pokey

This guy and mag are the best in the business. Please take my money!!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 25, 2015, 04:17:08 pm
This guy and mag are the best in the business. Please take my money!!
I know it seems crazy but this is the kind of thing they use to rate. Bowl win? check. Returning starters at QB and both lines? check, check, kinda check. playmakers? check 2 times with Alex and Jwill. Balanced team? Top ten D and an O set to improve. Had us top 5 on both lines. Check check. Philon hurts and it's too high, but I agree with the premise and put us #7. We at least are in the logjam at the top of the SEC pre season.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

intelligence

ChitownHawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 24, 2015, 02:12:24 pm

I agree with you Muskogee, but #4 is a bazaro best case scenario. If we can end the year somewhere between #11 to 15 I will be happy.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 25, 2015, 12:27:51 pm
It is great attention.  But this is very reminiscent of after the 2012 Cotton Bowl where the losses of some very productive defensive players were overlooked.  Before the accident, we were being overhyped. 

The hope is now that stability has led to defensive players more ready to step up and fill the void as Muskogee points out.  And they may be.

Spot on assessment.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

jrhardy88

Really only Flowers on D was seen as a stud returnee.Philon and Speight just had "the light go on".We will have other players where that happens.#4 does seem a little optimistic but hey.......I am an optimist.
Standing on the shoulders of giants.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 25, 2015, 12:27:51 pm

That issue was due to a lack of defensive development and coaching continuity. Once the hard ass was out of the house Smiley couldn't even get the water jugs on the sideline put in the correct position. After that year the only things SEC about our football program were the facilities and schedule...

I think you're too scare...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on January 25, 2015, 05:33:10 pm
That issue was due to a lack of defensive development and coaching continuity. Once the hard ass was out of the house Smiley couldn't even get the water jugs on the sideline put in the correct position. After that year the only things SEC about our football program were the facilities and schedule...

I think you're too scare...

Not all of it was.  We lost players at every level of that defense who made plays to win games during their careers and accounted for a lot of statistics.  It wasn't going to be replaced in one season with how we recruit even if the accident never happened.  You can hold out hope that we have recruited better and the current staff have developed players better and more players are returning this time. 

Rison Razor Hog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 25, 2015, 05:44:02 pm
You can hold out hope that we have recruited better and the current staff have developed players better and more players are returning this time.

So, are you holding out hope? Pessimism is a breeding thing. Some on this board have a full-blown tsunami level of it...

I like the attention we are getting. It helps with recruiting, and if we do turn out to be as good as we think, it starts us at a higher level so post-season considerations are better presented.
And on my deathbed, I'll achieve total consciousness, so I've got that goin' for me!

To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin: Billions for defense, but not one cent for dhimmitude!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Rison Razor Hog on January 25, 2015, 06:06:45 pm
So, are you holding out hope? Pessimism is a breeding thing. Some on this board have a full-blown tsunami level of it...

I like the attention we are getting. It helps with recruiting, and if we do turn out to be as good as we think, it starts us at a higher level so post-season considerations are better presented.

Yes I am.  I believe this staff as a whole is much better. 

rhames

I will never worry about defense as long as Brett is coach just as I didn't worry about offense when Robert was here. Someone will step up.

Being "ranked" number 4 is a little high. I see us as a concensious top 25 team all year next year. Win all home games and steal one or 2 on the road.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

BigPapaHawg

WOO PIG

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: rhames on January 25, 2015, 06:24:45 pm
I will never worry about defense as long as Brett is coach just as I didn't worry about offense when Robert was here. Someone will step up.

Being "ranked" number 4 is a little high. I see us as a concensious top 25 team all year next year. Win all home games and steal one or 2 on the road.

I think it will depend on when the losses happen as far as the rankings.  Only 3 conference home games and we don't play at home for a over a month in one stretch. 

Pig Worshipper

I'm wondering whether a team that finished the previous conference season at 2-6 was ever chosen in a pre-season national Top Five. It's a great honor and we certainly won't be able to sneak up on anyone. I just wish we didn't have so long to wait.

DeltaBoy

WOW no Respect for BAMA!   You know Nick will have this article printed and posted in the Locker Room.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 25, 2015, 05:44:02 pm
Not all of it was.  We lost players at every level of that defense who made plays to win games during their careers and accounted for a lot of statistics.  It wasn't going to be replaced in one season with how we recruit even if the accident never happened.  You can hold out hope that we have recruited better and the current staff have developed players better and more players are returning this time. 

I will.. You should too.. ;)

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 25, 2015, 06:32:17 pm
I think it will depend on when the losses happen as far as the rankings.  Only 3 conference home games and we don't play at home for a over a month in one stretch. 

Now THIS is a real factor... You were just wasting time worrying about B.S. before.

Tusks

Hell I'll take it.  Reprint the article and spread it around the country.  Make the hogs the talk of ESPN.

The hogs can be 2015 version of the SEC bias.  Hog bias from the media.  I love it.

#4 and ready to move up.

2016 looking just as good.  Back to back baby.