Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone wanna see more of this in our offense next year?

Started by Fayettechill14, January 23, 2015, 04:58:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Fayettechill14

Nifty little 40-yard on that. HB screen from a 2-TE I-formation. Beautiful. Only one lineman actually has to run that far.

IBleedRazorbackRed

First play I got excited about when I was watching some youtube videos.

tophawg19

but our linemen can't pull for screens . looks like some new weight loss and conditioning training coming if Chaney was right , Enos likes pulling guards and centers
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Fayettechill14

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 23, 2015, 05:07:15 pm
but our linemen can't pull for screens . looks like some new weight loss and conditioning training coming if Chaney was right , Enos likes pulling guards and centers

Looks like only one lineman has to pull for that one. The tight end and left guard led for that play.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on January 23, 2015, 05:10:40 pm
Looks like only one lineman has to pull for that one. The tight end and left guard led for that play.

Skipper would love nothing more than to level an OLB coming at him. 

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 23, 2015, 05:12:20 pm
Skipper would love nothing more than to level take out the knees of an OLB coming at him.

FIFY.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

WayneHawg

IBleedRazorbackRed

I'm excited to see what Tretola will look like after having an actual offseason to get his body molded to how they want him. The fact that he lost so much weight so quickly last year is incredible.

Laughing Hog

And I would love watching it happen. I'd really hate seeing that mountain of a man coming at me at that 5._ _ whatever 40 speed he runs.
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

navyhog24

Chaney would say that we wouldn't be able to do that

The NewEra

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on January 23, 2015, 05:02:38 pm
First play I got excited about when I was watching some youtube videos.

Me too.....this one really stuck out.

Pig Worshipper

Man, I love seeing this. That has been a huge missing element to our offense in my opinion. With our backs, we should be able to gain a good bit of yardage on screens while giving defenses that much more to worry about. It can also help open up more possibilities for our wide receivers and tight ends by providing just a little more balance, taking some of the pressure off.

zane

RIP LSUfan

SquidBilly

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 23, 2015, 05:07:15 pm

I know you're mocking Chaney, but in looking at that video the linemen didn't move more than a few yards to get out in front of that screen.  Chaney just refused to call it because he didn't want to, not because we couldn't do it.

razorbackkid

Quote from: zane on January 23, 2015, 06:08:46 pm
Going to have to change that number again

Skipper is going to have to change job/number assignments much like these old characters.  Classic...enjoy.

I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

ldfergu

I would just like to see BA hit our rb's as check downs when no one else is open. Seems if his first option isn't there, it's to the stands

SwineGrind

I am also excited....their playing Purdue? Not exactly Bama.

lahawg1

In this case, mass (Skipper) x speed = oh chit....

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on January 23, 2015, 04:58:11 pm

Nifty little 40-yard on that. HB screen from a 2-TE I-formation. Beautiful. Only one lineman actually has to run that far.

It's a pretty play, but if the OLB sniffs it out, it could be another BA 2nd row special.  If it's set up well with a few successful runs to the right, or QB roll outs with some TE out routes and/or WR hook patterns, then it would be much more likely to work.  That's one of those plays that takes advantage of over pursuit, and it only works if you've set it up well. 

I want to see a flanker who can get off the LOS, get off the chuck or use their quickness to get free, and get a yard of separation on a quick slant pass over the middle.  If we had THAT ONE PLAY last year when they were loading the box, we could have scored TD's like breaking sticks.  Teams like Baylor, TCU, and Oregon would have LOVED to see that defensive alignment, and there we were...trying to run it off tackle.   

Don't get me wrong, I think the screen pass has been missing for awhile now, but it's not necessarily the best play to combat 10 in the box, because there's going to be congestion to contend with.  Our whole offensive effectiveness would change if we had guys on the outside that could get separation and/or make someone miss.  Some of that may be talent related, and some may be more refined coaching and scheme.  I really believe that one thing could make us look like a different team.       
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Paul

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on January 23, 2015, 08:13:54 pm
I would just like to see BA hit our rb's as check downs when no one else is open. Seems if his first option isn't there, it's to the stands
. Yep.  Saw JWill in the flat with no one within 10 Yds of him numerous times

Jek Tono Porkins

I get why Chaney didn't want to run screens. The notion that the linemen weren't quick enough to do it probably has validity. Also, our running backs weren't exactly burners, either. A screen is a risky play. It's either going to be really good or really bad. With our personnel, it was more likely that it would be really bad, and with the offense we ran, negative plays were crippling. They probably could have thrown in a screen here and there, but they just didn't want to do it.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

tophawg19

the folks in the 3rd row hope so too. tired of having their area in air raid mode every play and having to have heads on a swivel each play
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

The Boar War

Quote from: SwineGrind on January 23, 2015, 08:23:42 pm

Well when you're Central Michigan...

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on January 23, 2015, 09:04:23 pm
I get why Chaney didn't want to run screens. The notion that the linemen weren't quick enough to do it probably has validity. Also, our running backs weren't exactly burners, either. A screen is a risky play. It's either going to be really good or really bad. With our personnel, it was more likely that it would be really bad, and with the offense we ran, negative plays were crippling. They probably could have thrown in a screen here and there, but they just didn't want to do it.

Plenty of other risky plays he had no problem calling.
This is my non-signature signature.

redeye

Honestly?  That play doesn't excite me at all.  If we're behind in the 4th and need a score, then maybe it's worth trying, but it looks like a recipe for disaster.

HogFries

Quote from: razorbackkid on January 23, 2015, 06:22:46 pm
Skipper is going to have to change job/number assignments much like these old characters.  Classic...enjoy.

Not even the three greatest country and western singers of our time could make Chris Christopherson sound worth a s^&*.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: redeye on January 23, 2015, 11:46:00 pm
Honestly?  That play doesn't excite me at all.  If we're behind in the 4th and need a score, then maybe it's worth trying, but it looks like a recipe for disaster.

Um, that's a bootleg screen. Not exactly a trick play. Pretty basic constraint play against overactive linebackers.

Fans were (accurately) complaining about the lack of screens. If we don't see any next year, it's not Enos' fault.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on January 24, 2015, 12:52:19 am
Um, that's a bootleg screen. Not exactly a trick play. Pretty basic constraint play against overactive linebackers.

Fans were (accurately) complaining about the lack of screens. If we don't see any next year, it's not Enos' fault.

Good point.  I think it's fair to say that if we see the same mix of plays this season, then it will be obvious that CBB is trimming down the playbook to only those that he wants to run, and essentially handcuffing the OC in some respects. 

But...after the various trick plays and things we've seen him attempt, I don't see how anyone can label CBB ultra conservative.  I just think his style does not lend itself to being behind.  It's like a double edged sword.  We don't attempt the big plays for fear of a turnover and getting behind.  But then if we give up a few and get behind, we don't have the big play firepower to catch up.  I don't think that will change until we get a QB with a big arm, and some WR's that can beat people.  Until then, I think we'll see grind it out, move the chains football. 

When your biggest deep pass threat is a TE releasing down the seam against a LB, that's going to limit your quick strike ability.     
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Obi-Hawg Kenobi

No.  Actually we couldn't.  Our linemen are built for straight ahead,  smash mouth blocking.  We aren't athletic upfront.   We need to change that quickly.
That isn't a Chaney thing neither. That's a CBB thing.  Part of his BIG 10 ball insane philosophy.
TRUST IN THE FORCE!!!  LET IT FLOW ALL THROUGHOUT YOU!!

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 23, 2015, 09:12:27 pm
the folks in the 3rd row hope so too. tired of having their area in air raid mode every play and having to have heads on a swivel each play

We should of been putting HS WR's in the first few rows so we could develop some hands in this state for down the road.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on January 23, 2015, 06:07:14 pm
Man, I love seeing this. That has been a huge missing element to our offense in my opinion. With our backs, we should be able to gain a good bit of yardage on screens while giving defenses that much more to worry about. It can also help open up more possibilities for our wide receivers and tight ends by providing just a little more balance, taking some of the pressure off.

No doubt.. You sneak the slot into a skinny post and have the WR see if he can win a 1on1 down the road..!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: Obi-Hawg Kenobi on January 24, 2015, 01:55:10 pm

No.  Actually we couldn't.  Our linemen are built for straight ahead,  smash mouth blocking.  We aren't athletic upfront.   We need to change that quickly.
That isn't a Chaney thing neither. That's a CBB thing.  Part of his BIG 10 ball insane philosophy.

Only one lineman is blocking downfield on this play. And his only job really is to bump the linebacker if he reads it quickly. Other than that the design of the play basically blocks it for you. The bootleg action makes the linebackers roll and look that direction and then you're left with a running back in space

gawntrail

Quote from: redeye on January 23, 2015, 11:46:00 pm

That is a low risk - high reward screen.

All action and flow is strong side.  No LB reads move weak until QB is two or three steps into his roll.  The personal protector and FB in front side flat tells the secondary to roll their coverage due to no receiver running a route in backside flat.  If WLB sniffs it, the OL is there to block.  Ball is thrown behind LOS so contact is allowed.  Ball is thrown forward so bad pass or drop is incomplete.

And looking at the coverage on that specific clip, it looked like man free or at least man on boundary side.  The safety bailed to deep middle and SLB ran with FB out of backfield.  Will looked to drop med middle.

So by scheme and that specific play, it was sound.

Where is the disaster?

Deep Shoat

Quote from: SwineGrind on January 23, 2015, 08:23:42 pm
They are Central Michigan.  Not exactly Arkansas...
All Gas, No Brakes!

choppedporkextrasauce

I want to see the Hogs go to JWill  and run the same play he scored twice from 70+ yards against Kentucky as a freshman.

DeltaBoy

We didn't throw the wheel route much either this past two year and that was common under CBP.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

mizzouman

The key word....'coming at him'.....Skipper would need to drastically improve his footwork.

onebadrubi

Quote from: mizzouman on January 26, 2015, 08:47:52 am
The key word....'coming at him'.....Skipper would need to drastically improve his footwork.

Nice try at an attack on skipper.  But if knew much, a RB is going to ride right behind his blocks till they meet their level of defense to block.  So the The LB is going to be coming right at skipper and the RB in that play.  You were just too busy trying to take a shot at skipper, but nice try.

Hoggish1

DeltaBoy

We have not had a screen game since Bobby was here.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

jkstock04

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 26, 2015, 08:51:13 am
Nice try at an attack on skipper.  But if knew much, a RB is going to ride right behind his blocks till they meet their level of defense to block.  So the The LB is going to be coming right at skipper and the RB in that play.  You were just too busy trying to take a shot at skipper, but nice try.
In open space? For a lineman to block a LB in open space is not an easy task because it does require good footwork. Skipper gets a ton of hype because of his size, but all of our linemen need to improve footwork.

As some have hinted, maybe the reason we didn't run screen plays was because our staff felt like the linemen we'rent quick enough in space to block....also not having a speed back doesn't help. It's kind of the elephant in the room type of deal....but if you go back and watch the games we lost....take note of the O-line in the 2nd half of the games...most times they were getting absolutely whipped at the LOS. Obviously it didn't help that the opposition would stack everyone in the box and cheat up....but it was notable to me that smaller, quicker d-linemen were our achillies, especially on the edges. Nobody really wants to acknowledge this because of the spin and hype around our big O-line.

I think that Mizzou man is right, not only Skipper, but the entire O-line are going to need to change some things if we are going to start incorporating different, more creative plays like this into our offensive game plan (which I do think we should).
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

mizzouman

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 26, 2015, 08:51:13 am
Not a shot, just a fact.  Here's my statement.

'Unless Skipper improves his footwork, he won't be an effective pass blocker OR an effective blocker out in space'.  What about this statement is false?

PorkRinds

I have a feeling that Ragnow is quick enough on his feet to block on a screen. 

mizzouman

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 26, 2015, 09:40:02 am
I have a feeling that Ragnow is quick enough on his feet to block on a screen.
He might be. I like Kirkland the best on that line.  But Skipper has a lot of work to do.  Hopefully, he can get that work in over the summer.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on January 23, 2015, 04:58:11 pm

Where is the video?
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: mizzouman on January 26, 2015, 08:47:52 am

Which I guess is why he plays the position that he does, that requires really good footwork. Now, if they replace him this year and move him elsewhere, you may have a point. On the other hand it might be that they find someone with quicker feet. I'd say Pittman has a handle on this and is a better judge than any of us as to who has quick enough feet to play the blind side tackle.
Go Hogs Go!

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

DeltaBoy

Go Tackle over split out the  TE and put one of the line man in the slot.

mizzouman

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 26, 2015, 09:59:21 am
Which I guess is why he plays the position that he does, that requires really good footwork. Now, if they replace him this year and move him elsewhere, you may have a point. On the other hand it might be that they find someone with quicker feet. I'd say Pittman has a handle on this and is a better judge than any of us as to who has quick enough feet to play the blind side tackle.
You don't have to be an OL coach to see that Skipper doesn't have good footwork.