Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where is the love for Jeff Long?...Or give it one more year?

Started by RazorOkie, January 23, 2015, 04:53:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorOkie

For recognizing Bielema as a good Coach but even better as a Great program builder, and an Identifier / facilitator of good coaches and recruiters.

ricepig

Why must there be love? How about it's part of the job, and while I'm a big supporter of both, a 7-6 record isn't the top I hope.

RazorOkie

So...your a give it one more year guy. Thanks for playing

jdlittle

7-6 is not my kind of success, or hope no one thinks that is good.   Get back with us in about 3 more years.    When and if we start winning 10 and losing 2 then it might be looking up.   I do not think anyone knows if that is going to happen.  A lot of competition and we also need to recruit better than 10th out of 14 teams.

ricepig

Quote from: RazorOkie on January 23, 2015, 04:57:53 pm
So...your a give it one more year guy. Thanks for playing

I don't believe I said that at all. I've appreciated their work from day 1, no need for additional "love".

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: RazorOkie on January 23, 2015, 04:53:50 pm
For recognizing Bielema as a good Coach but even better as a Great program builder, and an Identifier / facilitator of good coaches and recruiters.

JL is a facilitator/delegator and not a detail meddler. I'm a supporter, and, based on what is occurring, I'm confident he has made some good choices/hires. A lot of moving parts that he is juggling.
If we need a change in coaches, he seems willing to make a change to upgrade, after he's convinced a change is needed.
He seems an astute business man, and...he's a football guy.
JFB was a tough act to follow, while keeping it glued together.
+1 to Jeff Long but no additional 'love'. Same old same old and it's why he collects a paycheck. We're paying decent and getting our money's worth.

" GO HOGS "

RazorOkie

I am in total agreement that 7-6 and Texas Bowl winner is not what anybody with Pride in the program thinks is success.  I just think that Jeff Long made an extremely good move getting the right guy to build this program long term.  I know we haven't seen much in 2 years but I don't recall even the 2010 team getting this much respect.  The entire county sees the drastic forward progress of this team.  Bielema seems to be a Facilitator of all positive things for a football program.

RazorOkie

Svrdhd

We have one of the better AD's in the country, but we've bluntly been spoiled over most of my adult life. How many current AD's does the casual college fan know, other than Luck, Alvarez, and Long?
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

hamARchy in the USA

Of course, Long's name became nationally recognized not as a result of anything he'd done but as a result of something someone else did.

deedster84

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on January 23, 2015, 06:33:29 pm
Of course, Long's name became nationally recognized not as a result of anything he'd done but as a result of something someone else did.

Have to disagree with you. It was because of the good job he was doing that got him elected to head the first committee. They didn't just pull his name out of the hat. I believe that was a result of things he has done.

AD Long may be one of the best ADs ever someday.  He gets paid to do well.  It is expected.  He's made some glaring mistakes and some what appears to be decent hires and if you can believe what many say, he's the leader in doing many great things for the physical structure of the organization.

Don't plan to start wetting my pants and bowing at the waist anytime soon for his exceptional work feats.

Long got his name on the tips of many tongues by firing a very popular football HC for doing something to get fired for.  The general opinion is that most ADs would not have had the moxey to do that.  I saw it as doing his job, less the need to call a press conference to get it done.  I did then and I do now see that press conference as an ego thing from him.  When you must let someone go, its usually not done with a press conference and such fanfare.

It became almost necessary for every AD in the country to admire Long and usually offer that they would have done the same even though they likely wouldn't have.  So I guess showdogging Petrino's canning in a press conference did pay dividends for him.

I believe Long was chosen as the head of the playoff committee because he was by then well known and seen as a straight shooter.  What college AD today is as well known as Jeff Long???  NONE.  That one press conference did that.  Bobby Petrino's stupidity did for Jeff Long what it would normally take years to accomplish as an AD.  He owes Bobby big time.  Fate couldn't have set things up better for Jeff.

Hogswarts

Quote from: jdlittle on January 23, 2015, 05:18:42 pm
7-6 is not my kind of success, or hope no one thinks that is good.   Get back with us in about 3 more years.    When and if we start winning 10 and losing 2 then it might be looking up.   I do not think anyone knows if that is going to happen.  A lot of competition and we also need to recruit better than 10th out of 14 teams.

We are recruiting well enough. You don't have to be at the very top to win, look at Oregon or Miss state, we just need time. If you can't see the drastic improvement then I don't know what to tell you. This team should be primed to make some real noise next year.

elviscat

It doesn't take a lot to please some people, the verdict is still out. JL, is all about promoting himself, time will tell.

Hogsolo

I have to give him credit for the Jones' gift.   Needs to pull a few more of these out. Lots of billionaires and hundred millionaires with NW Arkansas connections. 

longpig

Quote from: 12247 on January 23, 2015, 06:51:32 pm
Long got his name on the tips of many tongues by firing a very popular football HC for doing something to get fired for.  The general opinion is that most ADs would not have had the moxey to do that.  I saw it as doing his job, less the need to call a press conference to get it done.  I did then and I do now see that press conference as an ego thing from him.  When you must let someone go, its usually not done with a press conference and such fanfare.

It became almost necessary for every AD in the country to admire Long and usually offer that they would have done the same even though they likely wouldn't have.  So I guess showdogging Petrino's canning in a press conference did pay dividends for him.
It was an extremely controversial firing, not to mention the hottest topic in sport nationally.  IMO, announcing the UofA's decision with a press conference was the right move .
Don't be scared, be smart.

Paul

Quote from: deedster84 on January 23, 2015, 06:38:58 pm
Have to disagree with you. It was because of the good job he was doing that got him elected to head the first committee. They didn't just pull his name out of the hat. I believe that was a result of things he has done.
. Agree

Augustus

Quote from: 12247 on January 23, 2015, 06:51:32 pm

I disagree. Does Jeff Long have a bit of an ego? From my time following him on Twitter, I would probably say so. But, I also think a job as high caliber as that requires a bit of an ego.  CEO's, Chairmans, Presidents... they don't get to that level without quite a bit of ambition, confidence, and yes, ego.

But, I don't believe he held the press conference for his ego... I think that presser was held because of the regional and national media attention the situation was getting. And, maybe also because of the possible implications Petrino's actions put the University in?

But, to the OP's point... I'm very, very happy with what Jeff Long has done at UofA, in all facets of Razorback Athletics.  No, I don't hope a 7-6 football season is the peak, and I would like to get back to the NCAA Tourney... but that falls more on the Coach's shoulders? If a change is required to get us there, I'm sure Jeff Long will recognize and deal with it.

HSVhogfan2

Jeff Long is a master at controlling the message. He did it with the tear filled press conference to fire Petrino. He did it with the smoke screen when he hired CBB, to the point that it was a PR coup when the hire was finalized. He did it when he hired arguably ESPNs most popular analyst to coach the Woman's team, not knowing if he could win a game or not. Style is a huge bullet in Jeff Longs gun. AR has needed it. After a while you just have to win. The jury is still out on that.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

clutch

I don't get all the hate over the press conference. That's just the way things are today. The media wants a press conference for everything. Especially major stories like the Petrino scandal. I didn't really see any way around it. If he wouldn't have done it there would have been a big uproar about him not getting out and answering questions about it. Press conferences are just the norm now, not an ego thing IMO.

The_Boot_stops_here

JL just gave Mike Anderson a 2 yr extension before conference play even started with 3 yrs left on his deal and 0 tourney appearances....beyond stupid...how's that for the love?

ricepig

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on January 23, 2015, 09:21:09 pm
JL just gave Mike Anderson a 2 yr extension before conference play even started with 3 yrs left on his deal and 0 tourney appearances....beyond stupid...how's that for the love?

The buyout didn't change on either end, so it's just window dressing.

tophawg19

all his raises are thanks enough . now time to look at the basketball program . most of the others are in good shape
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 23, 2015, 09:41:58 pm
all his raises are thanks enough . now time to look at the basketball program . most of the others are in good shape

So 2 conference wins in 2 years makes the FB program in better shape than the BB program? Okay.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

Augustus

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on January 23, 2015, 11:20:01 pm
So 2 conference wins in 2 years makes the FB program in better shape than the BB program? Okay.

That's one way to look at it... another way to look at it would be: We were the most improved team this year?

2 consecutive shutouts of currently ranked teams? Which, I believe was a 1st in CFB history?

We played Bama better than any other SEC team? (in spite of the loss)

A complete thrashing in our Bowl game, in which we held any FBS Div I team to the fewest total offensive yards this entire season?

The best defense we've had in... what? ...2 decades? Maybe longer?

Possibly the best incoming recruiting class we've ever had, to date?

Many of the media are pointing to us as contenders for the SEC-West Championship next year (personally I don't see it. not yet)

The positives are there if you choose to see them. But, yes, we are absolutely improved.

Artex501

Quote from: Augustus on January 24, 2015, 12:08:21 am
That's one way to look at it... another way to look at it would be: We were the most improved team this year?

2 consecutive shutouts of currently ranked teams? Which, I believe was a 1st in CFB history?

A complete thrashing in our Bowl game, in which we held any FBS Div I team to the fewest total offensive yards this entire season?

The best defense we've had in... what? ...2 decades? Maybe longer?

Possibly the best incoming recruiting class we've ever had, to date?

Many of the media are pointing to us as contenders for the SEC-West Championship next year (personally I don't see it. not yet)

The positives are there if you choose to see them. But, yes, we are absolutely improved.

And that is how you quiet a pessimist +1 for you

Pork Twain

[attachment deleted by admin]
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

harrisburghog

Jeff Long the model of honor and integrity? Hardly, where was this model of intestinal fortitude during the Courtney Fortson tweet affair? Remember this.

"Im gettin it at workouts like a dude who doesnt understand the word no from a drunk girl lol."

All that happened in that  SHAMEFULL situation was that three scholarship players got suspended for a few games. I've heard people say well there were no charges filed and fraterny witnesses stated that the young lady was completely agreeable to being with the three players. How did no charges being filed excuse that type of behavior? Those three players should have been kicked off the team, Jeff Long being the AD should have insisted those players be kicked off the team, but it didn't happen. Where was this man of such honor and integrity then? Nowhere.

ricepig

Quote from: harrisburghog on January 24, 2015, 08:24:42 am
Jeff Long the model of honor and integrity? Hardly, where was this model of intestinal fortitude during the Courtney Fortson tweet affair? Remember this.

"Im gettin it at workouts like a dude who doesnt understand the word no from a drunk girl lol."

All that happened in that  SHAMEFULL situation was that three scholarship players got suspended for a few games. I've heard people say well there were no charges filed and fraterny witnesses stated that the young lady was completely agreeable to being with the three players. How did no charges being filed excuse that type of behavior? Those three players should have been kicked off the team, Jeff Long being the AD should have insisted those players be kicked off the team, but it didn't happen. Where was this man of such honor and integrity then? Nowhere.

He was too busy trying to find where Petrino was holed up.......

DocHogliday

Overall, he is doing well.  But I don't praise someone for doing their job.  I expect it.
I beg to differ, sir. We started a game we never got to finish. "Play for Blood," remember?

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: Artex501 on January 24, 2015, 07:45:37 am
And that is how you quiet a pessimist +1 for you

Not a pessimist, a realist. The post I quoted said it was now time to "fix" the BB program, like the football program had suddenly "arrived". Most of the folks that post on Hogville are fanatics to end all fanatics. Lose a couple and AR will never win again, win a couple and the National Championship is in sight.

It is everyone's opinion, including mine, that the football team is greatly improved. I, however, just stated the facts.

Veni Sancte Spiritus

harrisburghog

Without  PetrinoGate in as much as national recognition goes Long would be just another AD. 

Athog

Quote from: RazorOkie on January 23, 2015, 04:53:50 pm

I agree. He is putting the pieces together!

ICEman

I thought he received a 1,000,000+ love letters in recent months.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

RazorOkie

In here we have solidified the policy of Captain John H. Miller from Saving Private Ryan that "gripes go up", but compliments sure the heck do not.

incHOGnito

Quote from: RazorOkie on January 23, 2015, 05:28:12 pm
I am in total agreement that 7-6 and Texas Bowl winner is not what anybody with Pride in the program thinks is success.  I just think that Jeff Long made an extremely good move getting the right guy to build this program long term.  I know we haven't seen much in 2 years but I don't recall even the 2010 team getting this much respect.  The entire county sees the drastic forward progress of this team.  Bielema seems to be a Facilitator of all positive things for a football program.

My barometer is who other similar programs are able to get. Florida hired a coach with two years of coaching experience at Colorado State. We hired a three-time defending Big Ten champion who had his team consistently in the top 15 for most of his tenure. Pretty hard to argue that is not a homerun. When was the last time a P5 conference coach left their job to jump anywhere but the NFL?

incHOGnito

Quote from: incHOGnito on January 24, 2015, 10:56:52 am
My barometer is who other similar programs are able to get. Florida hired a coach with two years of coaching experience at Colorado State. We hired a three-time defending Big Ten champion who had his team consistently in the top 15 for most of his tenure. Pretty hard to argue that is not a homerun. When was the last time a P5 conference coach left their job to jump anywhere but the NFL?

I will answer my own question: I am pretty sure it was Les Miles from OSU to LSU.

RazorOkie

Quote from: incHOGnito on January 24, 2015, 10:56:52 am

Well said, I think long deserves a "well done" on the Bielema hire.  I am enjoying having Faith in Razorback Football as a whole way more than just having faith in Bobby Petrino.

GuvHog

I gave Jeff Long full credit for hiring Bielema. The rest I'll pass on.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

ricepig

Quote from: RazorOkie on January 24, 2015, 11:00:32 am
Well said, I think long deserves a "well done" on the Bielema hire.  I am enjoying having Faith in Razorback Football as a whole way more than just having faith in Bobby Petrino.

He was given a "well done", we doubled his salary. He's highly respected amongst his peers, and by the vast majority of Razorback fans, that his congratulations.

RazorOkie

Quote from: ricepig on January 24, 2015, 11:05:56 am
He was given a "well done", we doubled his salary. He's highly respected amongst his peers, and by the vast majority of Razorback fans, that his congratulations.

I like this response,  I was hoping my OP would bring out varied Opinions,  It seems that the focus was missed by some, on the specifics of Long identifying a good candidate to build a football program, In what my opinion is the right way.

Pork Twain

Jeff Long is bringing it and I hope we keep him for a very Long time.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

wildhogman

Quote from: jdlittle on January 23, 2015, 05:18:42 pm
How did those top ranked classes work out for texas?, how about ol misses or Lsu when we played this year?   More to life then gazing at stars

longpig

From where I'm sitting the BB program still looks like peewee ball at times and the football program looks like a D1 contender.
Don't be scared, be smart.

clutch

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on January 24, 2015, 10:04:08 am
Not a pessimist, a realist. The post I quoted said it was now time to "fix" the BB program, like the football program had suddenly "arrived". Most of the folks that post on Hogville are fanatics to end all fanatics. Lose a couple and AR will never win again, win a couple and the National Championship is in sight.

It is everyone's opinion, including mine, that the football team is greatly improved. I, however, just stated the facts.

I see what you are saying, but it think most look at it like this....... He's made the moves to turn the football program back in the right direction. Now it's just a waiting game to see if the pieces he put in place pay off. So far, it looks like it's going to. The basketball team looks like it's stuck in the mud. Things haven't changed in 4 years. Every time it looks like things are trending up they fall right back into their old ways. He may need to turn some of his efforts towards them since there's not much else he can do with the football team right now but wait and see.

Artex501

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on January 24, 2015, 10:04:08 am

I stand corrected... No a realistic person looks at what people outside of hogville are saying, people that have nothing to gain from saying the hogs have made it or will as fast as time allows them to, it's a long ways till football season... Maybe I'm one of these overly optimistic hog fans, but I can live with that

Hogwild

Quote from: Augustus on January 24, 2015, 12:08:21 am

Ole Miss & LSU would disagree, but we beat both

RazorbacksFan

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on January 23, 2015, 09:21:09 pm

The basketball team's Academic Progress Rate is now finally above the NCAA cutline for the first time in 5 years. These guys are student athletes. The UA athletics program-wide APR is the highest it's ever been. I'd say that a coach also doing the unnoticed things well is just as much a part of the success.