Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CMU clues to Enos's style

Started by Biggus Piggus, January 23, 2015, 08:29:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

In 13 games this past season, Central Michigan passed 382 times + allowed 28 sacks = 410 pass plays.

CMU had 466 true rushing plays. That's 53% / 47% run-pass split.

In those 466 running plays, CMU gained a net 2,235 yards (4.8 ypc) with 19 touchdowns. In only nine games, senior Thomas Rawls (5-10, 217) ran for 1,103 yards and 10 touchdowns. The next three backs combined for more than 900 yards.

Junior quarterback Cooper Rush (6-3, 200) completed 64% of his passes for 3,157 yards and 27 touchdowns with 13 interceptions. That's a nice 8.3 yards per attempt, 13 yards per completion. Not all short stuff.

WR Titus Davis (6-2, 190 sr) had 60 catches for 980 yards and 13 touchdowns in only 10 games. WR Jesse Kroll (6-3, 214 jr) caught 36, TE Deon Butler (6-3, 242 sr) 30, WR Anthony Rice (6-0, 184 so) 30. Five other players had at least 10 catches.

CMU converted 43% of their third downs, averaged a 7-minute advantage in time of possession, averaged three more first downs per game than opponents (despite a weak defense). CMU was 81% in the red zone, 67% for touchdowns.

They might have had a really nice season, had Rawls and Davis not missed so many games, despite their defense. I like the way Enos featured his top wide receiver.
[CENSORED]!

onebadrubi

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 23, 2015, 08:29:54 am
In 13 games this past season, Central Michigan passed 382 times + allowed 28 sacks = 410 pass plays.

In those 466 running plays, CMU gained a net 2,235 yards (4.8 ypc) with 19 touchdowns. In only nine games, senior Thomas Rawls (5-10, 217) ran for 1,103 yards and 10 touchdowns. The next three backs combined for more than 900 yards.

Junior quarterback Cooper Rush (6-3, 200) completed 64% of his passes for 3,157 yards and 27 touchdowns with 13 interceptions. That's a nice 8.3 yards per attempt, 13 yards per completion. Not all short stuff.

WR Titus Davis (6-2, 190 sr) had 60 catches for 980 yards and 13 touchdowns in only 10 games. WR Jesse Kroll (6-3, 214 jr) caught 36, TE Deon Butler (6-3, 242 sr) 30, WR Anthony Rice (6-0, 184 so) 30. Five other players had at least 10 catches.

CMU converted 43% of their third downs, averaged a 7-minute advantage in time of possession, averaged three more first downs per game than opponents (despite a weak defense). CMU was 81% in the red zone, 67% for touchdowns.

They might have had a really nice season, had Rawls and Davis not missed so many games, despite their defense. I like the way Enos featured his top wide receiver.

Someone highlighted the pass/run ratio yesterday.  You took it in-depth a little more and I actually put some thought into it.  So here is what I think.  CMU obviously could move the ball, but like many smaller conferences can't stop anyone.  Well, Enos got a raise to come here and FOCUS on nothing but moving the ball and QB's.  He got a free pass (pun intended) on his first year like most do, we were absolutely blessed with Robb Smith's first year and if the 2nd is anywhere close it will be hard to keep him.  He get's a veteran tight end group with studs, a vet wr in Hatcher with some young talent behind him, a stud Oline, two top 6-7 SEC RB's and top 20 in NCAA, and that's all he has to worry about.  If he brings a 64% pass completion, BA throws for 2500+ yards and we have 2 1,000 yard rushers again, we will be in the talk at the end of the season, I believe.  Without pulling the numbers I think BA was somewhere around 55%, add another 30-40 completions and that puts us over the top we couldn't this year. 

This hire will do well for us.  I'm excited to see it play out.

Hoggish1

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 23, 2015, 08:41:26 am
we were absolutely blessed with Robb Smith's first year and if the 2nd is anywhere close it will be hard to keep him. 

Give me one reason you would say this.  Just one...

younghog

Who says Enos gets a pass.. He is here to be an effective an efficient OC from day one..

Go Hogs
GO HOGS

younghog

GO HOGS

tophawg19

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 25, 2015, 10:59:50 am
3 reasons to be exact . 1 Spaight , 2 Flowers , 3 Philon . We are going to need leaders and will be younger on defense . Got the talent , just have to make it grow up and fit. He will have to find new leaders on defense but keep the faith, he did it last year .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

The NewEra

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 23, 2015, 08:29:54 am

Just think what the man can do with a few world class tight ends sprinkled in there.

tophawg19

looks like Enos has a good down field passing game that can only help

LZH

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 25, 2015, 10:59:50 am

Smith did do a fantastic job last year - particularly from mid-October on.  I was impressed.  Maybe BB actually can spot coaching talent.  If so, then hopefully his new OC will work out well.

Pork Twain

Quote from: LZH on January 25, 2015, 12:53:17 pm
Smith did do a fantastic job last year - particularly from mid-October on.  I was impressed.  Maybe BB actually can spot coaching talent.  If so, then hopefully his new OC will work out well.
Man you are hard to please
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Twain

I have heard many criticize Enos' time at CMU, after following Kelly and Jones, but people forget that he was basically forced to do exactly the same thing CBB was here, transform his entire roster from one built to spread teams out to one built to pound the ball.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

LZH

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 25, 2015, 01:06:07 pm
Man you are hard to please

Welp, I gotta cover my butt, ya know.  Besides, BB did hire Ash....and we all know how that worked out.  So it's not like he's batting a thousand.

farmhawg

BB is one for three on hiring good coordinators.  My thought is this OC is more aligned with CBB's philosophy and will be much more compatible. The last two years of play calling just looked uncomfortable.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

tophawg19

well ASH has a National Championship so he did ok for himself

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 23, 2015, 08:41:26 am
Someone highlighted the pass/run ratio yesterday.  You took it in-depth a little more and I actually put some thought into it.  So here is what I think.  CMU obviously could move the ball, but like many smaller conferences can't stop anyone.  Well, Enos got a raise to come here and FOCUS on nothing but moving the ball and QB's.  He got a free pass (pun intended) on his first year like most do, we were absolutely blessed with Robb Smith's first year and if the 2nd is anywhere close it will be hard to keep him.  He get's a veteran tight end group with studs, a vet wr in Hatcher with some young talent behind him, a stud Oline, two top 6-7 SEC RB's and top 20 in NCAA, and that's all he has to worry about.  If he brings a 64% pass completion, BA throws for 2500+ yards and we have 2 1,000 yard rushers again, we will be in the talk at the end of the season, I believe.  Without pulling the numbers I think BA was somewhere around 55%, add another 30-40 completions and that puts us over the top we couldn't this year. 

This hire will do well for us.  I'm excited to see it play out.

If we are able to keep him from making a lateral move that is all we can ask for. Hopefully if he wants a HC job he will wait for the right job. Saban has been able to keep some really great coordinators for a while. We are paying for them. Let's hope they fall in love with Arkansas too.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

LZH

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 25, 2015, 05:16:49 pm
well ASH has a National Championship so he did ok for himself

True dat, but we got a whole lot better after he left.....

Pork Twain

Quote from: LZH on January 25, 2015, 04:15:49 pm
Welp, I gotta cover my butt, ya know.  Besides, BB did hire Ash....and we all know how that worked out.  So it's not like he's batting a thousand.
Ash is in fact a good DC, just not for us.  Just like JC is a good OC

RobGob

Did they run any screen plays to speak of? If he comes in and gets our offense to run some successful screen plays in these big games, I will have an immediate man crush.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: RobGob on January 25, 2015, 10:23:56 pm
Did they run any screen plays to speak of? If he comes in and gets our offense to run some successful screen plays in these big games, I will have an immediate man crush.

Their ability to throw screens will depend on how the offensive line changes. Past two years, the line has been huge but not very quick/agile.
[CENSORED]!

HogShat

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 25, 2015, 12:39:34 pm
3 reasons to be exact . 1 Spaight , 2 Flowers , 3 Philon . We are going to need leaders and will be younger on defense . Got the talent , just have to make it grow up and fit. He will have to find new leaders on defense but keep the faith, he did it last year .

Had those same three under the previous DC. One year of maturity was not the difference.

DeltaBoy

We just need to bunch one WR with two Tight ends and throw the jail break screen.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.