Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Offensive Balance

Started by chitwnhog, January 22, 2015, 05:00:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

chitwnhog

Previously there has been discussion re:  Bielema and offensive balance or lack there of. Some feel that he is Nutt 2.0 and others believe he is just as he portrays himself.

Offensive Balance at Wisconsin

2006: 2,749 passing, 2,102 rushing
2007: 2,704 passing, 2,610 rushing
2008: 2,745 rushing, 2,445 passing
2009: 2,770 passing, 2,650 rushing
2010: 3,194 rushing, 2,593 passing
2011: 3,298 rushing, 3,280 passing (18 yards difference)
2012: 3,091 rushing, 2,114 passing

It seems the numbers bear out that Bielema does indeed seek Offensive Balance. Some will discount this but in my opinion the numbers don't lie.

Hoggish1

Quote from: DawgTownHog on January 22, 2015, 05:00:01 pm

It seems the numbers bear out that Bielema does indeed seek Offensive Balance. Some will discount this but in my opinion the numbers don't lie.

Enos was brought in to solidify offensive balance.  This hire will finally make BA what everybody hoped he'd be some day.

chitwnhog

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 22, 2015, 05:03:54 pm
Enos was brought in to solidify offensive balance.  This hire will finally make BA what everybody hoped he'd be some day.

Agreed.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

chitwnhog

Quote from: Kevin on January 22, 2015, 05:06:06 pm
Balance in yards not plays

Duh...that is a given. Some are so thick that they just don't get this concept

ATLHog

Whatever it takes to win- period. CBB has proven that over his coaching career.

bigbadhog

Quote from: DawgTownHog on January 22, 2015, 05:07:54 pm
Duh...that is a given. Some are so thick that they just don't get this concept

Offensive balance is play calling.  90% running and 10% passing plays is not balance regardless of the yardage...  Balance is being able to do do equally well and being fully committed to both.  Bb does not qualify...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

Atlhogfan1

It isn't about statistics or the number of passes or runs.  It is about affecting the defense to be able to do what you want to do offensively to have consistent success throughout the game.  In our case, we need the passing game to keep the number of defenders needed to block to run the ball to a reasonable number. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

chitwnhog

Quote from: bigbadhog on January 22, 2015, 05:13:51 pm
Offensive balance is play calling.  90% running and 10% passing plays is not balance regardless of the yardage...  Balance is being able to do do equally well and being fully committed to both.  Bb does not qualify...

And my point is proven. Please show where Bielema has ever had a 90/10 Run/Pass ratio. I'll be waitin...I'll be waitin.

bigbadhog

Quote from: DawgTownHog on January 22, 2015, 05:16:10 pm
And my point is proven. Please show where Bielema has ever had a 90/10 Run/Pass ratio. I'll be waitin...I'll be waitin.

Didn't say he did - you might want to reread the post.  Balance is being equally committed to both run and pass and bb clearly is not.  Keeep onnn waitin'

Jon Ham

Balance isn't # of plays. It isn't # of yards. It's having an offense where the opposing defense must respect both the pass and run. Even if you run it 90% of the time and get 80% of your yards through the run, if your play action game is good enough that opposing defenses can't just key in on the run, then you have balance.

Atlhogfan1

Hopefully we'll see more balance soon.  Chaney had to at times try Hatcher in the run game to try and get defenses to at least spread out and soften a little in the middle or try Henry vertically.  Those are tough ways to try and get SEC defenses out of the box.  Enos should have better options to bring "balance". 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

chitwnhog

Quote from: bigbadhog on January 22, 2015, 05:18:47 pm
Didn't say he did - you might want to reread the post.  Balance is being equally committed to both run and pass and bb clearly is not.  Keeep onnn waitin'

Oh I read your post just fine. You used hyperbole and I called you on it. Offensive Balance as defined by Bielema is by yardage and has been defined in that way by him from day one in his first press conference. People like you want to put their own spin on it and redefine it in your own terms. Bielema has never defined himself as a pass first coach. He seeks balance and his definition of balance is defined by yardage. Bielema said in his opening press conference his goal was 250yrds rushing and 250yrds passing.

redeye

Previously there has been discussion re:  Bielema and offensive balance or lack there of. Some feel that he is Nutt 2.0 and others believe he is just as he portrays himself.

Not even close.  That may be the dumbest comparison ever seen on Hogville.

opineonswine

Quote from: DawgTownHog on January 22, 2015, 05:24:17 pm
Oh I read your post just fine. You used hyperbole and I called you on it. Offensive Balance as defined by Bielema is by yardage and has been defined that in that way by him from day one in his first press conference. People like you want to put their own spin on it and redefine it in your own terms. Bielema has never defined himself as a pass first coach. He seeks balance and his definition of balance is defined by yardage. Bielema said in his opening press conference his goal was 250yrds rushing and 250yrds passing.
You're absolutely right of course but wasting your time. Blind, deaf and ignorant is a bad combo.

The_Hog_Father

Great to see you posting again DTH.  :razorback:

chitwnhog

Quote from: opineonswine on January 22, 2015, 05:28:45 pm
You're absolutely right of course but wasting your time. Blind, deaf and ignorant is a bad combo.

Yes...sadly I know. I have put him back on ignore.

chitwnhog

Quote from: Pigs in Zen on January 22, 2015, 05:30:24 pm
Great to see you posting again DTH.  :razorback:

I was given a vacation because I called an idiot an idiot but with more colorful language which someone didn't like. Enjoyed my time away.

urkillnmesmalls

Butch Davis was on the radio earlier in the week on Bo's show, and he said he was present at both the Bama vs OSU, and Oregon vs. OSU games, and that in BOTH games OSU was the CLEARLY more dominant team PHYSICALLY.  Saying that about Oregon...not shocked.  Saying that about Bama is definitely surprising. 

You have beaten this drum to a pulp, and it's clearly because you like to get a rise out of the board.  It's your thing.  You couldn't wait to see the OC hire so you could get your drum back out.  Imminently predictable. 

In a nutshell, when your two RB's are as good as ours are, and we don't possess the weapons at WR to even make effective throws against man coverage, then you're going to see limited offensive chances being taken.  It's methodical, and calculated.  ALL OF THAT can change instantly if you start getting WR's that can get separation on the outside against man coverage. 

If Enos can find a way to make teams play honest and pull some guys away from the box and the LOS with just a moderately better passing game, then we can achieve balance.  Do we have the weapons for that?  Are they being under utilized and not coached to their potential?  Will Enos make a difference there?  I guess we'll see. 

Why was OSU successful late this season?  They could run it for over 250 yds a game by pounding it right off tackle, and throw it vertically.  We don't have a vertical threat currently, so your attempts to assess what CBB's long term philosophy is nothing more than a guess.  What we do have, by most accounts, is a team that is striving to be physical and win in the trenches.  I'll always be a fan of that philosophy, and OSU proved why that's important against Oregon.     

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

chitwnhog

Quote from: redeye on January 22, 2015, 05:27:40 pm

I completely agree.

Chief Mac

offensive balance can be either play calling or yardage.  It depends on the coach. 
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 22, 2015, 05:32:38 pm
Butch Davis was on the radio earlier in the week on Bo's show, and he said he was present at both the Bama vs OSU, and Oregon vs. OSU games, and that in BOTH games OSU was the CLEARLY more dominant team PHYSICALLY.  Saying that about Oregon...not shocked.  Saying that about Bama is definitely surprising. 

You have beaten this drum to a pulp, and it's clearly because you like to get a rise out of the board.  It's your thing.  You couldn't wait to see the OC hire so you could get your drum back out.  Imminently predictable. 

In a nutshell, when your two RB's are as good as ours are, and we don't possess the weapons at WR to even make effective throws against man coverage, then you're going to see limited offensive chances being taken.  It's methodical, and calculated.  ALL OF THAT can change instantly if you start getting WR's that can get separation on the outside against man coverage. 

If Enos can find a way to make teams play honest and pull some guys away from the box and the LOS with just a moderately better passing game, then we can achieve balance.  Do we have the weapons for that?  Are they being under utilized and not coached to their potential?  Will Enos make a difference there?  I guess we'll see. 

Why was OSU successful late this season?  They could run it for over 250 yds a game by pounding it right off tackle, and throw it vertically.  We don't have a vertical threat currently, so your attempts to assess what CBB's long term philosophy is nothing more than a guess.  What we do have, by most accounts, is a team that is striving to be physical and win in the trenches.  I'll always be a fan of that philosophy, and OSU proved why that's important against Oregon.     

And OSU could run their qb's and say "next" when one went down.  Huge advantage and effect on defenses when called runs for the qb are a part of the offense.  OSU's qb's didn't even have to be accurate passing.  Get it downfield in the area. 

Bama was doing some rebuilding in the oline thanks in part to losing Kouandjio early to the draft and LK's change in emphasizing Cooper and less downhill running.  Bama wasn't Bama. 

Chief Mac

Quote from: redeye on January 22, 2015, 05:27:40 pm

ask bigbadhog about this.....there are people that compare Bielema to Nutt just because he is a run first coach
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

bigbadhog

First of all, I have not complained about the hire.  I said it was probably a good hire for BB.  Whether BB runs a balanced offense is something I will not give in on.  He is not as committed to recruiting players for the passing game as he is for the running game which is the story of Arkansas Football since 1984 except for 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012.  These frustrations are from being a 40+ year fan but keep trying to minimize my opinion...

chitwnhog

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on January 22, 2015, 05:43:47 pm
ask bigbadhog about this.....there are people that compare Bielema to Nutt just because he is a run first coach

Russell Wilson...was looking to enter the MLB draft and was on very few peoples board as a potential draft pick as a QB while at NC State. Wilson goes to Wisc. for one year with Bielema and next thing ya know he's going to back to back Super Bowls.

I'm not taking a thing away from Russell Wilson his talent or his work ethic. However, the reality is that he very likely would not be playing for another Super Bowl if he had not gone to Wisc. and played for Bielema.

Look at the 2011 stats above. Balance.

bigbadhog

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on January 22, 2015, 05:43:47 pm

Read Mike Irwin's quotes from earlier today regarding BB not being the run/pass balance coach he claims to be - The situation screams Nutt.  And if a coach truly has a balanced attack, they don't have to be defended.  The fans know they are equally committed to both...

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: bigbadhog on January 22, 2015, 05:47:47 pm
First of all, I have not complained about the hire.  I said it was probably a good hire for BB.  Whether BB runs a balanced offense is something I will not give in on.  He is not as committed to recruiting players for the passing game as he is for the running game which is the story of Arkansas Football since 1984 except for 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012.  These frustrations are from being a 40+ year fan but keep trying to minimize my opinion...

Again, that's your opinion.  I think he's going to get the ball to our best players.  If we're winning, then I don't care how much we run the ball, do you? 

I don't think there's enough sample size yet to know how much we will pass the ball moving forward.  We don't have all of the pieces in place yet to see that. 

Just for giggles, up until this year with Kiffin, how would you categorize Bama?  Run first, or pass first?  I bet you couldn't find a single person that would say Bama was pass first, and they MURDERED us in all but the 2010 game UNTIL our game this season. 

It's a philosophy.  BB wants to win the LOS, and build off that.  I can't wait to see how it looks when we have WR's that can get separation. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: bigbadhog on January 22, 2015, 05:51:29 pm
Read Mike Irwin's quotes from earlier today regarding BB not being the run/pass balance coach he claims to be - The situation screams Nutt.  And if a coach truly has a balanced attack, they don't have to be defended.  The fans know they are equally committed to both...

It doesn't scream Nutt because Nutt was an egomaniacal yet insecure moron who wanted to do nothing more than keep control and his job.  He destroyed qb's after Stoerner.  That is a ** comparison.  Find another run first coach even from another program for a better comparison.  These two are not the same.

I understand the view you have and can sympathize a little about our run first history and lack of qb and wr play so often over the years. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Kevin on January 22, 2015, 05:06:06 pm
Balance in yards not plays

And that's no problem......................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

urkillnmesmalls

Dude...whatever.  He clarified that already, and your attempts to misquote and misrepresent are pretty lame.  But carry on if that makes you feel better somehow.  I'm not arguing with you anymore about this.  Any responses will just get a  :razorback: from me.  You're just doing this to get under people's skin, and it's not going to work with me.  Troll someone else. 

LAGNAF

Balance in no way means equally "committed" to run or pass. It means developing the ability to do both and doing so as the defense allows. A balanced offense will rush for 400 yards a game if you can't stop it and vice versa.

chitwnhog

Quote from: LAGNAF on January 22, 2015, 05:57:14 pm
Balance in no way means equally "committed" to run or pass. It means developing the ability to do both and doing so as the defense allows. A balanced offense will rush for 400 yards a game if you can't stop it and vice versa.

Exactly see Wisc. vs. Neb in 2012. Wisc 70  Neb 31. Bielema after said "We just kept running the ball because they couldn't stop us."

ballz2thewall

well said.
The rest of the frog.

bigbadhog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 22, 2015, 05:55:09 pm
It doesn't scream Nutt because Nutt was an egomaniacal yet insecure moron who wanted to do nothing more than keep control and his job.  He destroyed qb's after Stoerner.  That is a ** comparison.  Find another run first coach even from another program for a better comparison.  These two are not the same.

I understand the view you have and can sympathize a little about our run first history and lack of qb and wr play so often over the years. 

Thanks for the understanding.  I long ago grew tired of losing games because our one-dimensional attack back to Hatfield...

Bubba's Bruisers

I don't really define balance as being plays or yardage or commitment.  I define it as an offense being competent in both the running and passion game.  When we can successfully run it when we want to run it and successfully run it when we have to run it and successfully pass it when we want to pass it and successfully pass it when we have to pass it, then we're balanced.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Josh Goforth

Which would lead to a balance in stats and play calling. The fact is hitting that magical 200 rushing 200 passing number will take some playaction on 1st down along with.deep shot plays and if successful will even out the play calling closer to 50/50 run pass more than what it has been the last two years.

Pig In The City

From a competitive standpoint, I personally think it is more about being less predictable than worrying about offensive balance.  You don't always run on first down and you don't always throw on 3rd and long.  If your opponent cannot get a read on you...well that is almost as good as deflating footballs. 

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Pig In The City on January 22, 2015, 09:53:10 pm
From a competitive standpoint, I personally think it is more about being less predictable than worrying about offensive balance.  You don't always run on first down and you don't always throw on 3rd and long.  If your opponent cannot get a read on you...well that is almost as good as deflating footballs.

On this...I TOTALLY agree.  Keeping the opposition guessing is a huge part of it, and I think with a little more creativity and variety, we could have won 2-3 more games last season based on that alone. 

My theory on the deflated footballs is that Indy just sucked so bad that it pulled air from everything in the stadium, and the footballs were just a casualty. 

jtw732

Regardless of the past stats, I hope to see us passing more this season; partly because I think BA will be great for us and because it'll open up the run so much more. I think BA has a breakout year as a senior.

Chief Mac

Bielema has never "defended" his notion of balance.  He believes in equal yardage, you and others believe it has to be equal plays for it to be a balanced offense.  As a former player and coach on both sides of the ball, I tend to view "being balanced" as the ability pass/run efficiently enough to move the chains and score touchdowns. You, through the spectrum of enduring the Hatfield/Ford/Nutt offenses, are biased to think ANY offense that is run heavy is just as handicapped as those previous offenses.  Time and time again, myself and others have showed you that even in his worst years, Bielema's passing offense would have been light years ahead of what you witnessed under Hatfield/Ford/Nutt.  You're unwilling to view those facts and continue to beat the drum that Bielema is Nutt 2.0 though nothing could be further from the truth

In his post, Mike contradicted himself.  In the same post, he said that Bielema beleives balance to be equal yardage (which Bielema has stated over and over) but then speculated that he said something different in order to hire Chaney.  Sorry, but it doesn't pass the sniff test in terms of Bielema's persona. He is, to a fault up front and honest as well as says exactly what is on his mind.  You and others need to take note of that when comparing him to Nutt, who former players have compared to a used car salesman.

solitons

Quote from: Jon Ham on January 22, 2015, 05:20:20 pm
Balance isn't # of plays. It isn't # of yards. It's having an offense where the opposing defense must respect both the pass and run. Even if you run it 90% of the time and get 80% of your yards through the run, if your play action game is good enough that opposing defenses can't just key in on the run, then you have balance.
+1

colbs

Not yet, but at Wisky he did and I fully expect him to do that here.

colbs

This year Arkansas was 60/40 run/pass ratio.  In comparison Auburn was 65/35 run/pass ratio and Bama was 55/45 run/pass ratio.  So, not sure where you get the 90/10 ratio.   

As far as the Nutt comparisons, besides BB likes to run more than pass what other comparisons do the two have?  Also, when did Nutt ever have a QB pass for over a 3k yards?  Almost every year at Wisky he had a QB pass for over 2500 yards.  I think Clint passed for the most yards under Nutt and was around 2600.  Besides that year I don't think there was another QB that went for over 2500.

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: colbs on January 23, 2015, 10:51:39 am
This year Arkansas was 60/40 run/pass ratio.  In comparison Auburn was 65/35 run/pass ratio and Bama was 55/45 run/pass ratio.  So, not sure where you get the 90/10 ratio.   

As far as the Nutt comparisons, besides BB likes to run more than pass what other comparisons do the two have?  Also, when did Nutt ever have a QB pass for over a 3k yards?  Almost every year at Wisky he had a QB pass for over 2500 yards.  I think Clint passed for the most yards under Nutt and was around 2600.  Besides that year I don't think there was another QB that went for over 2500.
I was just about to bring that point up. Actually, Clint Stoernor was almost the only Nutt QB to throw for 2000 yards. Matt passed for 2073 in his last season.

Bielema clearly believes that offensive balance is in respect to yards. He said that the goal for every game is 200 yards rushing and 200 yards passing.

People on here don't get it. We have a defensive-minded coach. We don't need to score 40 points to win games anymore. We play defense now. Part of playing defense means keeping the ball on the ground so the defense can rest and make adjustments. This isn't rocket science. It's all a tradeoff. I'll happily take only 200 yards of total offense if the tradeoff is a shutout. I'd rather not have 500 yards of total offense if it means we lose 48-45.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Peter Porker

Your opinion. Balance can be yardage or playcalling. Depends on what you like.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Peter Porker

Quote from: bigbadhog on January 22, 2015, 06:21:24 pm
Thanks for the understanding.  I long ago grew tired of losing games because our one-dimensional attack back to Hatfield...

Broken record.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Ex-Trumpet

Pretty sure on Hogville, offensive balance has more to do with opposing opinions.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Been10Hog

No offense, but I prefer his balance to yours!

Hogsmo Kramer

Your balance needs more balance.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

DeltaBoy

If the young ones we already got and the incoming freshman WR get up to speed fast we should have even more balance cause no on will want to try and load the box anymore. 
Plus Enos is bringing some sick stuff run game.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.