Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stuart Scott has Passed

Started by Porked Tongue, January 04, 2015, 09:16:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

lahawg1

Sad, always enjoyed his "Boo-Yaw"

razorbackfan86

Prayers. One of my most favorite ESPN personalities growing up.

sage_dragoon

I grew up watching him. He was always "cool as the other side of the pillow". RIP
XBox360 - SageDragoon79

The_Bionic_Pig

Man that really hurt my heart....he's part of  a entire generations highlights before going to bed.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

ldfergu

In the words of Jim Valvano, Stuart Scott never gave up. Sad day in sports, RIP

pigture perfect

Wow, he was legendary behind that desk. Rip.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

wupigsuey

A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

LZH

Oh no.  I had no idea.  He was one of the great ones, he really was.  Prayers for him and his family.

I know guys have sportswriters/sportscasters that they don't like.  But I guarantee that we'll all miss him.  All of us.

Lanny

True Class.  One of the highlights of the day watching Stuart Scott.  Bu yah
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

hawgtime

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

trashcan maN

The best, most imitated, sportscaster of the past 20 years. RIP brotha. You were loved by millions.

snf6278

One of the best! Thoughts and prayers to his family.

hoglady

So very sad!!
He fought the brave fight like a warrior for almost 8 years - mixed martial arts training while taking chemo, leaving medical procedures to get to the ESPN desk. He didn't let cancer define his life - he continued to define it.
He will be missed.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

PonderinHog

Only the good die young.  RIP, Stuart.  You won.

hogcard1964

Very sad. He seemed so nice.

RIP

I knew he was ill, but what did he pass away from?

forrest city joe

Very sad. watched him on Sports Center for many years. god bless him and family.

root_hawg

Prayers to his wife and daughters

hoglady

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 04, 2015, 11:04:45 am
Very sad. He seemed so nice.

RIP

I knew he was ill, but what did he pass away from?

He'd been battling cancer on and off since 2007.
Not sure what kind.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

Dirttrackhog

Rare type of cancer.  His speech at the Espys this past year was incredible.  He will be truly missed.

hawg1221

Makes you realize how precious life is. Wasn't he on tv just recently doing Monday Night Football?

ckhawgu

Sad to hear... prayers for his family... RIP, Stuart Scott!

gohogs1969

I am a 45 year old white man from the south with absolutely nothing in common with him. Having said that may he rest in peace and God bless that good and courageous man.

tusksincolorado

What an inspiration.....God Bless.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

GrizzlyRider07

Wow my heart is heavy right now after finding out about the passing of my Favorite ESPN Sports Anchor Stuart Scott! I've been watching and listening to him since I was a pup. One of my all time favorite phrases from him, "as cool as the other side of the pillow" was the reason he caught my eye from the beginning. He was an amazing guy and inspiration to so many. I know he is gone now but I can promise you, he will never be forgotten. Cancer is a horrible way to go but I know all the way until his last breath he continued to fight. As he repeated the words of the late Jimmy V, "cancer can take away all my physical abilities. It cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart, and it cannot touch my soul. In those things are going to carry on forever." Cancer will only do what you will allow it to do to you but don't give up. Don't ever give up. Stuart Scott went on to say, when he was presented with the Jimmy V perseverance award last, "When you die, that does not mean you lose to cancer.You beat cancer by how you live, why you live and in the manner in which you live. So live, live, fight like hell. And when you get too tired, lay down, rest and let someone else fight for you." Just let that sink in! Rest In Love!
Dont Talk, Just Act.
Don't Say, Just Show.
Don't Promise, Just Prove!

EastexHawg

What a shame.  He was a fighter who battled to the end. I'm sad to hear of his passing.

phadedhawg

He was my favorite on ESPN.  His Top 10 calls were the best. 

Very sad day for sports fans.  It takes away some of the excitement for today's games.  He will be missed.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: gohogs1969 on January 04, 2015, 11:18:39 am
I am a 45 year old white man from the south with absolutely nothing in common with him. Having said that may he rest in peace and God bless that good and courageous man.

A very sad day. Condolences to his family and friends.

P.S. I'm curious as to WHY you thought it necessary to say the part in bold................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

AFWarrior83

I had no idea he was battling cancer. He was one of my favorites and will be sorely missed! Too young to pass as well...
Hogville member since 2005.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Porked Tongue on January 04, 2015, 09:16:17 am
http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/12118296/stuart-scott-espn-anchor-dies-age-49

I realize it might not be MMQB.
His family is in my thoughts and prayers. Another victim of a horrible and insidious disease.

popcornhog

Quote from: gohogs1969 on January 04, 2015, 11:18:39 am

What exactly is the purpose of the first part? Just curious what you mean by it.

It seems to me that you have plenty in common with him -- you're both members of the same generation, both Americans, you both enjoy sports.

Anyway, I agree with the second part, best of wishes to his family.
WPS

gohogs1969

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 04, 2015, 11:35:56 am
A very sad day. Condolences to his family and friends.

P.S. I'm curious as to WHY you thought it necessary to say the part in bold................................

Maybe it came out wrong. If I offended you, I apologize. Was just trying to say that Stuart and I have nothing in common but I respected him a lot as a man who dealt with a terminal illness as brave as he did. And for sure I respect him as a father.

RunHogruN

Thoughts and Prayers to his family.  A sad day indeed.  I hope that today some incredible highlight plays come to fruition so that we can honor Stuart Scott with a TOP 10 play he would be proud of BOOOO YAAWWWWW!!!!!  RIP
It's only a game...R E L A X     B)

razorbackfan86

wonderllama

His acceptance speech for the Jimmy V Perseverance Award at the ESPYs last year is powerful stuff. 

"When you die, it does not mean that you lose to cancer. You beat cancer by how you live, why you live, and in the manner in which you live."

twistitup

Very sad, he will be missed by many. I feel like I've grown up w him.

RIP Stuart Scott
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

sickboy

Quote from: razorbackfan86 on January 04, 2015, 12:03:50 pm
Rich Eisen this morning.

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/1/4/7490133/stuart-scott-rich-eisen-video

Why do I enjoy watching things like this? To me this is the very best tribute to someone's life and legacy. Hearing the pangs of melancholy in the crackly voice of someone who truly loved him... just hits you in a strange place that is duly sad and beautiful.

Wildhog

As cool as the other side of the pillow.  We lost a good one.  RIP.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

hoglady

Quote from: sickboy on January 04, 2015, 12:18:24 pm
Why do I enjoy watching things like this? To me this is the very best tribute to someone's life and legacy. Hearing the pangs of melancholy in the crackly voice of someone who truly loved him... just hits you in a strange place that is duly sad and beautiful.

Thank you for posting that link.
What a beautiful commentary.

razorbackfan86

Quote from: sickboy on January 04, 2015, 12:18:24 pm

Agreed. Couldn't help but get choked up myself watching that moment from Rich.

Tequilin' Time

Quote from: razorbackfan86 on January 04, 2015, 12:03:50 pm
Rich Eisen this morning.

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/1/4/7490133/stuart-scott-rich-eisen-video

man I was watching that as it happened.  I have no idea how Rich made it through that.

Stuart, you will be missed by many and you are forever cool as the other side of the pillow.

prayers and love for his family.

Flying Razorback

Make sure you've got a place to yourself if you watch the announcement Hannah Storm made live on Sportscenter this morning:

Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

razorbackfan86

Quote from: Flying Razorback on January 04, 2015, 01:40:33 pm
Make sure you've got a place to yourself if you watch the announcement Hannah Storm made live on Sportscenter this morning:

Wow thanks for posting.

hoghearted

Quote from: hoglady on January 04, 2015, 11:06:13 am
He'd been battling cancer on and off since 2007.
Not sure what kind.

Appendiceal cancer. Fairly rare.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

RebelliousHog

"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

HogInTigerLand

I lost my dad to cancer. He was only 53. It's been 12 years and Not a day goes by I don't think about him. Prayers to the family and friends of Stuart. It is hard to understand why sometimes.

LZH

Quote from: Flying Razorback on January 04, 2015, 01:40:33 pm

Hannah Storm is one of the sweetest and most genuine persons on television....period.

Cancer took my dad in 2000, and he fought like hell.  SS must have been one hell of a fighter, too.  God bless his family.  I still can't believe he's gone - he was a favorite of ALL of ours.....every one of us.

mhuff