Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UCLA's Ben Howland:Official Thread, All Thoughts, Discussion Here Please

Started by mmhogs17, March 19, 2011, 12:12:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Break & Run

Quote from: Billy Bayou on March 19, 2011, 01:55:33 pm
Even with their final fours and 95 NC since Wooden, if I recall correctly, UCLA has chewed up and spit out every coach that has been there since Wooden.

It would not be surprising at all that Howland might want out.  Eventually, UCLA might just find it tough to get a coach besides an up and comer.

They just do not have that great of fan support.  Probably because the Lakers rule LA and it's a professional sports town anyways...
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

Divot

He's probably sick of sharing a campus with Rick Neuheisel. I know I would be.

Oliver

Ben's team is currently beating the best team the SEC has to offer.  I really hope we hire him.

Potosihog

This could be more plausible than self and that "Big" hire that we were promised from "some that know" a few days ago. If this happens Razorback power is officially back in multiple sports at the same time. If Long can pull this off it will silence a lotof critics.

Smithian

This hire is possible for a few reasons;

• He lost in three straight Final Fours. That doesn't worry me when considering his candidacy, but I can certainly see that taking a bunch of fire out of him at UCLA. Has to be difficult to really get motivated after that. He may be ready for a new, exciting start.
  • UCLA fans. They're crazy. They turn on every coach. I have a feeling they're looking to fire him and he wants out before it can happen.
  • Los Angeles. After getting past Hollywood and all the glitz and glamour, the Lakers are still the big show. Right behind them you have the Clippers(as long as they have Blake Griffin). Past even that you have the Angels and Dodgers taking up sports headlines. Once you even make it to the college ranks, USC football is the big story. He may want to be the big show in town. There's enough fan support in Fayetteville for Petrino and Howland to both be the big show.
  • Fresh air. We're not talking about the smog, either! He's been in the southwest at NAU, Northeast at Pitt, west at UCLA. Maybe the SEC would be a new, exciting experience? Plus we're not in the deep south, so he can still recruit northern areas if he wants to.
  • Timing. I have a feeling all the other coaches we're talking to(Anderson, Turgeon, Tubby, Martin, etc) have programs that would fight to keep them. UCLA may look at us as a school that could take him off their hands.
  • Arkansas. Although a small state, our basketball program looks and conducts itself as a big time program. Lots of media coverage, a 19,000 seat Arena that is constantly renovated even with its young age, striving to build a practice facility, so on and so on. Anything he can accomplish at UCLA he can accomplish here. We're not a massive step down when it comes to potential.

I don't see it happen, but if Jeff Long pursues him, it could definitely get interesting.

Break & Run

Quote from: Smithian on March 19, 2011, 03:07:46 pm
I don't see it happen, but if Jeff Long pursues him, it could definitely get interesting.

If Long offers, I think Howland would come.  Let's just hope this is the 'close to the vest' hire Long is thinking about....
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

Smithian

Quote from: THE BAND GEEK on March 19, 2011, 03:15:44 pm
If Long offers, I think Howland would come.  Let's just hope this is the 'close to the vest' hire Long is thinking about....
I refuse to get my hopes up.

I think he is as good as coach as there is when it comes to X's and O's. He has sent a bunch of players to the NBA. I'd be nervous had he only won one place, but he won at Pitt as well. He even won a bunch of games at NAU.

I see why his style would wear on people's nerves over time, but I personally am a grind it out type of guy and think everyone will be happy if we're winning.

Oliver

Quote from: Smithian on March 19, 2011, 03:18:44 pm
I refuse to get my hopes up.

I think he is as good as coach as there is when it comes to X's and O's. He has sent a bunch of players to the NBA. I'd be nervous had he only won one place, but he won at Pitt as well. He even won a bunch of games at NAU.

I see why his style would wear on people's nerves over time, but I personally am a grind it out type of guy and think everyone will be happy if we're winning.

I think his style is great.  Good, solid, fundamental basketball.  Maybe not exciting but I could care less so long as it produces wins.  We'd never want for a point guard again with him as our coach.  He's been putting so many of those in the NBA throughout the years.

I'm not getting my hopes up either about him coming here but I really hope that we offer him the job.

HF#1

He kind of has that look, as if to say "I want out of here".  I noticed during his half-time interview.  He seems uninterested.  Could just be his personality though.  I'd take him in a heart beat. He wins.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Smithian

Above all, I see him as someone we could put head to head against John Calipari and Billy Donovan and be on equal footing.

This would be a beyond awesome hire.

Marshfieldhog

Didn't his team play in fayetteville in the nit when nolan was here..1997?

blacksuit

This thread feels incomplete without UCLA trolls talking down to us.

Super Hog

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on March 19, 2011, 03:30:48 pm
Didn't his team play in fayetteville in the nit when nolan was here..1997?

Yes, we beat them in the First Round at BWA .....

Oliver

Looks like Ben Howland is going to be free in just a bit.  Let's get to hiring him!!!!

mmhogs17

Smithian

Hey Howland, you look ugly in yellow/blue ties.

Red ties? Beautiful!

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Lanny

Tough loss for Ben Howland.  I bet he is talking before long.  Was that a pun?
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Razorod

Well, if it's Howland we should start hearing something relatively soon.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

BR

"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

mmhogs17

online-with-swine

Razorod

Surely he'd fly back with the team wouldn't he? But, it wouldn't bother me if flew directly into XNA.

Smithian

So can someone give me a reason this is possible other than us kicking around ideas?

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

TheArkansasTraveller

Before I read this thread I was thinking anyone but mike anderson....   Now, I'm sold on who I want for the job.  Jeff do us a solid and HIRE Howland!

Fort Dweller

For what it's worth, cessna8667 dropped this name March 12th.  Also stated his friend said Howland would be the next coach.

Quote from: cessna8667 on March 12, 2011, 10:40:25 pm
I have a friend (not some inside source by any means) that claims Ben Howland is the next coach...  I have no idea why he would want to come to Arkansas, but it would fit my view of how Long operates.
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

Oliver

Quote from: Fort Dweller on March 19, 2011, 04:59:12 pm
For what it's worth, cessna8667 dropped this name March 12th.  Also stated his friend said Howland would be the next coach.

I hope he's correct.  Man it would be a true home run hire!

silverandbluedc

Quote from: Smithian on March 19, 2011, 03:07:46 pm
UCLA fans. They're crazy. They turn on every coach. I have a feeling they're looking to fire him and he wants out before it can happen.
Found this article. The author is pushing the idea that Howland has a diseased program. Sounds like some are trying to run him off. I'd take him. Here is the link. http://www.bruinsnation.com/2011/3/12/2044826/the-diseased-culture-of-ben-howlands-ucla-program

mmhogs17

Quote from: silverandbluedc on March 19, 2011, 05:11:28 pm
Found this article. The author is pushing the idea that Howland has a diseased program. Sounds like some are trying to run him off. I'd take him. Here is the link. http://www.bruinsnation.com/2011/3/12/2044826/the-diseased-culture-of-ben-howlands-ucla-program

Yea, they have very little fan support, and they think this is still the John Wooden era.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

jbcarol

crjep

Quote from: THE BAND GEEK on March 19, 2011, 01:39:27 pm
Take John Wooden out of the woodworks of UCLA basketball history and I wouldn't consider them a Top 20 all-time basketball school.  I would consider them up there with Duke, UNC, UK, IU and even Illini though...

HaHa - are you serious?  Do you actually watch basketball? Since John Wooden retired, they've been to the champsionship game 3 times, won it once, the final 4 three more times, the elite 8 three times, the sweet 16 seven times.  Name 20 schools that look better than that.

Plus, you say you wouldn't consider them a top 20 program, but would put them in the same category with "Duke, UNC, UK, IU and even Illini though..."  Where exactly would you rate these programs?  The first 4 you named are 4 of the 5 most storied basketball programs in history.  Throw in UCLA and Kansas, and you've got your top 6 of all time. 

BenDial

We had Mark Lericos on the Ugly Uncle radio show today and he said that Howland is a more viable candidate than a lot of people are saying. He said that there has been mutual interest from both parties.

Howland's desire to get out of UCLA is well-documented and Arkansas is the best job on the market. Lericos didn't go so far to say that Howland was the front-runner, but that he thought Howland was on the Hogs radar. He believes Arkansas is going after some big guns before going after guys like Buzz Williams and Gregg Marshall. And by big, he specifically mentioned Self and Howland. He believes that Long will force them to say no definitively. That's what I got out of the conversation. But yes, Howland is in the mix.

psooie

The Wisdom of Wooden: My Century On and Off the Court is a great book. I do wonder why howland would leave ucla but maybe he wants to be top dog. I could see pitino jump ship from Louisville and head out to UCLA

jbcarol

N.Y.Times: "I'm going to give Sidney Moncrief the biggest charley horse of his life at the get-go!"

QuoteThe night before the biggest basketball game of his Weber State career, Ben Howland called his close friend Jay Hillock, a former junior-college assistant coach. Howland had a reputation for nervous excitability — he typically vomited 10 minutes before every game — so Hillock wasn't surprised when the phone rang at 2 a.m., just hours before Weber was to play a powerhouse University of Arkansas team in the second round of the 1979 N.C.A.A. tournament.

Razorod

Quote from: psooie on March 19, 2011, 05:43:42 pm
The Wisdom of Wooden: My Century On and Off the Court is a great book. I do wonder why howland would leave ucla but maybe he wants to be top dog. I could see pitino jump ship from Louisville and head out to UCLA
Or Jay Wright.

FaytownHog

swinesation

Dude is only 53, but he looks 60. I'm not sayin I don't want him; I'm just sayin.

jep_hog_fan

Bill Self won't leave a prestigious program like Kansas, but he will leave UCLA???

East Clintwood

Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Break & Run

Quote from: East Clintwood on March 19, 2011, 08:41:28 pm
No.  Good coach but I don't like watching his teams play.

Wow so you would take a loser coach who has an exciting type system?  Like Anderson?

East Clintwood

Quote from: THE BAND GEEK on March 19, 2011, 09:03:55 pm
Wow so you would take a loser coach who has an exciting type system?  Like Anderson?

I didn't say anything about Anderson.  He's way down on my list as well.

I would much prefer Marshall, Buzz, or Frank Martin than either Anderson or Howland.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

jmpjr

"The American Republic will endure until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -Alexis De Tocqueville<br /><br />"The greatest advances of civilization, whether in architecture or painting, in science and literature, in industry or agriculture, have never come from centralized government." -Milton Friedman

Break & Run