Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Negative Recruiting

Started by BRHogfan, February 25, 2016, 02:56:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BRHogfan

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2016/2/24/11092648/negative-recruiting-college-football-coaches

Quote"If a top kid locks in on a school early, maybe even up to five years ago, that meant most other coaches would pull back if they believed it was a solid commitment. That doesn't happen anymore," a Big Ten assistant said.
"What I've heard from kids we land early is that our rivals spend a full year attacking us. They don't have to sell themselves. They just have to attack us," an SEC assistant said. "You aren't selling your school, you're just creating doubt about another. So, now any game we lose, any other kid at the same position we offer (or an outlet says we offer), all that is sent back to the recruit. 'What do you think about this? See, they're a bad fit for you.'"
"What's most interesting to me is, with this method, these other coaches aren't focused on offering anything positive," a head coach said. "The primary focus isn't on their school. It's why your program is bad."
"It's definitely harder [to recruit] when you're one of 15 or 20 [contenders for a player]," an AAC assistant said. "Some coaches feel like a recruit is never really seriously interested in that many schools, that they're just celebrating the attention, but you usually think, 'okay, he's got five or six he's gonna look at.' If you know it's you and these three schools, great. If you know he's locked into one school, well now, everything in your pitch is built around how you stack up to that one school. Where are you better? What can you offer they can't?"
"What happens is, and maybe this is a positive from this, you end up having a stronger relationship," the head coach said. "You field so much of this stuff, where the parents are calling you, asking if a rumor is true, that you tend to spend more time just getting to know them."

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: BRHogfan on February 25, 2016, 02:56:54 pm
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2016/2/24/11092648/negative-recruiting-college-football-coaches
Negative recruiting IMHO is a major bane of college sports. While I know it goes on, to me it stinks! I'll never forget a rule I heard long ago from a major "headhunter" in the corporate world. "There are a lot of ways that you can interest quality people to your organization. Personally it's always been my experience that most really good people want to know about your best qualities and why they should be interested and motivated to join your organization. They could care less what the other guys are saying....they know it's likely biased anyway". Just food for thought....not that it will do much good in some cases.

factchecker

I don't agree with it but it happens everywhere.  Besides coming off petty, it seems to be a waste of time.

Time spent talking about the other school is time you could be selling your own school.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

Yeah, but Awbarn and Old Piss suck.......

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: ricepig on February 25, 2016, 03:11:45 pm
Well after all somethings aren't really "negative" if they're true. ;) ;D

ChicoHog

Recruiting sounds like politics with all the negative ads.  I don't want to hear about why not to vote for somebody else.  I want to hear why I should vote for you. 

BRHogfan

Quote from: ChicoHog on February 25, 2016, 07:30:55 pm
Recruiting sounds like politics with all the negative ads.  I don't want to hear about why not to vote for somebody else.  I want to hear why I should vote for you.

"If you know he's locked into one school, well now, everything in your pitch is built around how you stack up to that one school. Where are you better? What can you offer they can't?"

This kinda seems like what happens when it gets down to just one political opponent or there is one clear front runner.  It does make sense to organize your arguments in this fashion. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: BRHogfan on February 26, 2016, 07:52:54 am

"If you know he's locked into one school, well now, everything in your pitch is built around how you stack up to that one school. Where are you better? What can you offer they can't?"

This kinda seems like what happens when it gets down to just one political opponent or there is one clear front runner.  It does make sense to organize your arguments in this fashion. 

I've never been an advocate of selling anything based on being negative or critical of your competition. The better way of accomplishing the same thing without going totally negative is by simply differentiating yourself and what you have to offer, from that of the competition.

Go Hogs Go!

Mike_e

People with good things to say about themselves don't waste their time saying bad things about others.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

texas tush hog

Quote from: ricepig on February 25, 2016, 03:11:45 pm

And yes, they do, Oh you were talking about recruiting, excuse me.

Quote from: factchecker on February 25, 2016, 03:04:49 pm
I don't agree with it but it happens everywhere.  Besides coming off petty, it seems to be a waste of time.

Time spent talking about the other school is time you could be selling your own school.

Don't kid yourself, it still works, just ask Joseph Putu.

Hoggish1

Quote from: texas tush hog on February 26, 2016, 10:04:29 am

It's why you check out a lot of things about the kid and his family before you offer.  If a kid can be swayed by negative information, he might not be a good fit for a program like ours...

Joe Hog

I'm surprised there are not more flip flopping than there is now. :razorback:

PorkRinds

Quote from: texas tush hog on February 26, 2016, 10:04:29 am
And yes, they do, Oh you were talking about recruiting, excuse me.

Yep.  Randy Shannon did a number on us with that one.  I'm really glad he wasn't given our DC job.

texas tush hog

February 26, 2016, 11:09:58 pm #13 Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 07:28:20 am by texas tush hog
Quote from: PorkRinds on February 26, 2016, 11:07:22 am
Yep.  Randy Shannon did a number on us with that one.  I'm really glad he wasn't given our DC job.

Well we came out ahead in the long run I think with these last few hires. This young O-line guy may turn out to be much better than Pit Bull and he is younger and more energetic and I believe he will be more loyal for a longer time than Pittman. Mitchell cannot be exceeded as far as I am concerned and what can you say about Paul Rhodes. The only danger is losing him to a head coaching job but as long as he has that big buyout from Iowa State to cushion us from a DC hire I believe he will be here for a while as he enhances his head coaching resume to a P5 job. Bielema did a hellava job on these hires.