Started by trphog, February 24, 2016, 10:12:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

OLDHOG

jackflash

If he can improve our recruiting in Texas what not to like

Vantage 8 dude

I think it's a potential "home run" hire. Not only was the guy a relatively successful HC at a place not normally noted for a ton of really good teams, he's apparently pretty adept at pulling in kids from states that have large pools of recruits. Along with Smith hitting La. hard and other staff members concentrating on Texas and other areas, I think this gives us a much boosted "shot in the arm" when it comes to high quality kids. This is an extremely interesting hire. WPS!!! :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

BTW at least on the surface, if one doesn't think this is a HUGE step up from Jennings then I don't think they know too darn much about football.

FraggleHog

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on February 24, 2016, 10:16:03 am
Sixty-one percent of ISU signees under coach Paul Rhoads are from California, Florida or Texas. - See more at: http://m.amestrib.com/sports/football-how-isu-combats-one-its-biggest-recruiting-battles-getting-recruits-campus#sthash.xlw0gGhT.dpuf

Thanks for the link. I posted it in MMQB as people were asking about recruiting.
Calling the Hogs from DFW

Mike_e

It might be a good idea to team him up with coach Smith and introduce him around in Louisiana.

Not only players but HS coaches would probably like to meet him.  Instant relationships and 4 lane freeway to Fayetteville.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

thefisher

Besides the aforementioned ability to draw kids from talent rich states one other thing impresses me.  A guy who can draw enough talent to Iowa State .... have you been to Ames, Iowa ..... and win consistently has GOT to be aces!
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on February 24, 2016, 10:16:03 am
Sixty-one percent of ISU signees under coach Paul Rhoads are from California, Florida or Texas. - See more at: http://m.amestrib.com/sports/football-how-isu-combats-one-its-biggest-recruiting-battles-getting-recruits-campus#sthash.xlw0gGhT.dpuf
If Rhoads comes in with the attitude that he will at Arkansas for a while and really wants to build something special here then he will do very well. 

RME

Quote from: thefisher on February 24, 2016, 11:00:20 am
Besides the aforementioned ability to draw kids from talent rich states one other thing impresses me.  A guy who can draw enough talent to Iowa State .... have you been to Ames, Iowa ..... and win consistently has GOT to be aces!

Absolutely love the hire. But, as a head coach you cannot say he won consistently. That doesn't mean he won't be a phenomenal position coach/coordinator/recruiter. With the amount of coordinator experience he has, this hire is for sure a home run, but you can't say he won consistently at Iowa State.

Hopefully this is the piece we need to get those big-time secondary recruits.

The real Hogules

As has been the case in most other instances, CBB hired better than what he lost.
Good coach and good recruiter.
I like this hire a lot!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on February 24, 2016, 11:05:21 am
If Rhoads comes in with the attitude that he will at Arkansas for a while and really wants to build something special here then he will do very well.
I seriously doubt that CBB would have hired the man if he DIDN'T have that exact purpose and approach in mind.

JIHawg

He seems really sharp. Why did he leave ISU?

PorkRinds

Wildhog

Anybody know the last time he was actually out on the road recruiting?  At the hospital and can't really do much research.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

JIHawg

Weren't we going against ISU for a senior graduated transfer, possibly the running back from Michigan, Greene?

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: Wildhog on February 24, 2016, 11:12:32 am
Anybody know the last time he was actually out on the road recruiting?  At the hospital and can't really do much research.

Good luck. Hope for 10 fingers, 10 toes. Congrats.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

carolinahogger

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 24, 2016, 11:09:12 am
Absolutely love the hire. But, as a head coach you cannot say he won consistently. That doesn't mean he won't be a phenomenal position coach/coordinator/recruiter. With the amount of coordinator experience he has, this hire is for sure a home run, but you can't say he won consistently at Iowa State.

That is very true, but you have to consider that it was Iowa State.  If a coach had a 32-55 record at Miami or Texas then his coaching record is a train wreck.  If he does that at Kansas, or Iowa State then the guy might actually be pretty good.

This touches my opinion that the greatest football head coach of our time is...(drum roll) Bill Snyder.

Mike_e

??

Best to you and/or yours.

Ah, I see now.

Here's to new life and many happy days.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: Mike_e on February 24, 2016, 11:30:28 am
??

Best to you and/or yours.

Wildhog and Mrs. Wildhog are having a piglet. 🐖🐗😉👍🏻

ricepig

Dude, get your priorities right!! We're counting on your detailed analysis of who he signed, when, and where. Outside of that, I'm sure he's been on the road as the HC for the last 7 years, as a position coach, been awhile.

Oh, good luck and is Buster Posey there to catch?

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

RME

Quote from: carolinahogger on February 24, 2016, 11:30:11 am
That is very true, but you have to consider that it was Iowa State.  If a coach had a 32-55 record at Miami or Texas then his coaching record is a train wreck.  If he does that at Kansas, or Iowa State then the guy might actually be pretty good.

This touches my opinion that the greatest football head coach of our time is...(drum roll) Bill Snyder.

Definitely agree with you on that. No objection from me there. I've just seen a couple different posts on here saying something to the extent of how Rhoads "won consistently" at Iowa State and that's just not true.

As I said earlier though, not taking anything away from his ability as a position coach/coordinator/recruiter. Some guys just have a tough time being a head coach, but are phenomenal assistants.

The_Hog_Father

Razorfox

Quote from: carolinahogger on February 24, 2016, 11:30:11 am

Agreed on Snyder.  Had he been at a major school, Nick Saban might just be another good coach. 

PorkRinds

As a head coach, I'm not sure there is going to be much info out there about his recruiting.  Think about CBB.  While there may be some articles, there's not going to be a list of guys he snagged, because he wouldn't be the lead recruiter on them.  The article posted above mentions HOW he recruited and that he was more successful than others at Iowa State, but not many specifics.  It did say that 61% of the ISU roster under Rhoads came from TX, CA, and FL.  So he at least has some ties in those areas.

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 24, 2016, 11:43:49 am
As a head coach, I'm not sure there is going to be much info out there about his recruiting.  Think about CBB.  While there may be some articles, there's not going to be a list of guys he snagged, because he wouldn't be the lead recruiter on them.  The article posted above mentions HOW he recruited and that he was more successful than others at Iowa State, but not many specifics.  It did say that 61% of the ISU roster under Rhoads came from TX, CA, and FL.  So he at least has some ties in those areas.

His assistants did, at least.  :)

He's a great coach.  On the surface, this is a very impressive hire.  Just wish we knew more about his recruiting.  However, I'm sure CBB has made his expectations clear.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hogberry Snortcake

All I get from my Iowa friends is that he's a stand-up guy, and they loved him (not enough, evidently, to keep him). 

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on February 24, 2016, 11:47:54 am
His assistants did, at least.  :)

He's a great coach.  On the surface, this is a very impressive hire.  Just wish we knew more about his recruiting.  However, I'm sure CBB has made his expectations clear.

I've read a couple of articles about it. Honestly, the recruiting they did wasn't very good.  But they were at Iowa state.  Here's an article about how his recruiting at Iowa State suffered a bit because of his strategy there.

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2015/12/3/9836626/can-matt-campbell-build-a-new-iowa-state-cyclones-identity

They make solid points about how going into areas like TX, FL, and CA and convincing a kid to come to...Iowa is a hard sell.  He ended up having to go to the JUCO ranks, specifically for DL guys.  It basically said he messed up by using the same strategy everyone else used, without realizing that strategy wasn't good for Iowa State.  That said, that is our EXACT strategy and it seems to work decently for us, so he should be a decent fit recruiting wise.  To me, if you can get this guy to be a position coach, you do it and cross your fingers that he can do work recruiting.

JIHawg

FraggleHog

Quote from: Hogberry Snortcake on February 24, 2016, 11:48:03 am
All I get from my Iowa friends is that he's a stand-up guy, and they loved him (not enough, evidently, to keep him).

Same here... Verbatim from a Iowa St. alum:

(after I text him saying we hired Rhoads)"Nice. He is a passionate guy. Really good guy. He will be a positive impact on the team, head coaching just wasn't his thing, but he was a great coordinator. Incredible motivator and players love to play for him"
Calling the Hogs from DFW

thefisher

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 24, 2016, 11:09:12 am

Hopefully this is the piece we need to get those big-time secondary recruits.

That's a fair assessment. However, he did make three bowl games in a four year span. Considering it was at Iowa State I have to call that success.
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

HogNDas

GREAT Hire...not sure how CBB does it, but keeps pulling the "rabbit outta the hat" with his hires....

Tim Harris

I was looking forward to WildHog giving us a break down of is recruiting ability with a ranking somewhere between Trooper Taylor and Joel Thomas.

redeye

I'll say this much about him.  We've recruited against Iowa State a few times while he was there and I was always surprised by how well Iowa State recruited.  I know there were players that chose ISU over Arkansas while Petrino was here and I think there have been some under Bielema, too.  I'm not saying that ISU recruited great, but just that they were more competition then I remember them ever being in the past.

Btw, he was the coach at ISU when they beat #2 Oklahoma State in 2011.  If not for that, It would've been LSU vs. Oklahoma State in the BCS title game and Alabama would have one less national championship.

MS_HogFan

Quote from: Tim Harris on February 24, 2016, 02:08:20 pm
I was looking forward to WildHog giving us a break down of is recruiting ability with a ranking somewhere between Trooper Taylor and Joel Thomas.

Hopefully he falls closer to Taylor and Thomas...
SOOIE

prattville pig

Life's too short to last long.

redeye

Quote from: Surfing8 on February 24, 2016, 06:06:23 pm
Yeah, but Bammers would try to claim it anyway.

Well, they also thought Bielema was trying to pick a fight with one of their players, so they're not exactly a rational bunch.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Wildhog on February 24, 2016, 11:34:42 am
WildChild
Hope you have a healthy baby that cries nonstop for the first three years
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

ricepig

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 25, 2016, 05:55:56 am

Be just like Dad...

southarkhog06

only when we burn someones redshirt ;) 8)

Wildhog

Not sure what I ever did to you, but she's been an angel.  :)
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 26, 2016, 11:34:12 am
You guys home yet, WH?

Get to leave tomorrow morning.  The baby has to have 48 hours of antibiotics since labor went so long after the water broke.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on February 26, 2016, 11:38:01 am
Get to leave tomorrow morning.  The baby has to have 48 hours of antibiotics since labor went so long after the water broke.

Right.  Man, I'm glad you guys made it and everyone is ok. My wife delivers babies for a living, so at like 30 hours of labor I was starting to get a bit nervous for you! 

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 26, 2016, 11:40:21 am
Right.  Man, I'm glad you guys made it and everyone is ok. My wife delivers babies for a living, so at like 30 hours of labor I was starting to get a bit nervous for you! 

They were very close to calling for a c-section. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on February 26, 2016, 11:51:29 am
They were very close to calling for a c-section.

When I was talking to my wife about it and told her it'd been so long she said it wasn't all that unusual for a first time mom, but that she would be lucky if she didn't end up with a section.  So you guys got lucky.  Congrats dude.  You're going to love being a dad.