Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Barry Lunney Jr. Deserves a Raise

Started by HogWildBison2011, February 22, 2016, 12:59:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HogWildBison2011

I knew that Barry has done a great job in his time at Arkansas. But after seeing this list it really puts it in perspective. I really can't wait to see how the rest of his guys work out. We already know one of them (Hunter Henry) will likely be a 1st round draft pick.
http://247sports.com/Coach/Barry-Lunney-Jr-1513/AllTimeRecruits

Arkamedes

I think he's done a heck of a job. Speaking of raises, I wonder how it would affect recruiting if we could offer our assistant coaches an annual bonus equal to something like 1% of their signed recruits NFL salaries as an incentive? If they're good recruiters, this could probably help with retention of assistant coaches as well. Just a thought. Woo Pig!
"The time is always right to do what is right." ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Rise above oneself and grasp the world." ~ Archimedes

smb

I agree Lunney seems to be doing a very good job.
GeorgiaHOG

PorkRinds

He got one in 2015 and makes about $250k at this point.

AugustaHog

It's really hard to quantify what he's doing in the state.  He won't get a ton of love for it because those are kids that most of us feel we should get.  I do think he deserves credit because we are starting to close down the border a little bit.  We are getting all the ones we want from in-state, with the Ohio St. kid being the only one we lost the last two years.  The only thing that I'd like to see as we go forward is his ability to land an ELITE out of state TE.  This past class was always going to be tough from that standpoint because we got 3 very good ones in the '15 class.  Grayson Gunter should be good but we didn't run into much competition for him and I don't think many will classify him in that elite category.  Cantrell the previous year will be nasty as well.  I love that he has ties inside the state and coaches seem to really like him.  I hope he keeps up the awesome work.

LRHawg

Quote from: AugustaHog on February 22, 2016, 07:48:55 am
It's really hard to quantify what he's doing in the state.  He won't get a ton of love for it because those are kids that most of us feel we should get.  I do think he deserves credit because we are starting to close down the border a little bit.  We are getting all the ones we want from in-state, with the Ohio St. kid being the only one we lost the last two years.  The only thing that I'd like to see as we go forward is his ability to land an ELITE out of state TE.  This past class was always going to be tough from that standpoint because we got 3 very good ones in the '15 class.  Grayson Gunter should be good but we didn't run into much competition for him and I don't think many will classify him in that elite category.  Cantrell the previous year will be nasty as well.  I love that he has ties inside the state and coaches seem to really like him.  I hope he keeps up the awesome work.

This. Reward loyalty. Pay the man.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: HogWildBison2011 on February 22, 2016, 12:59:32 am
I knew that Barry has done a great job in his time at Arkansas. But after seeing this list it really puts it in perspective. I really can't wait to see how the rest of his guys work out. We already know one of them (Hunter Henry) will likely be a 1st round draft pick.
http://247sports.com/Coach/Barry-Lunney-Jr-1513/AllTimeRecruits

I agree.  I think as he gets more job offers we will have to up the anty to keep him.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 22, 2016, 07:45:44 am
He got one in 2015 and makes about $250k at this point.

That is about 4 times what he made as an Asst HS coach but he probable makes less than our other coaches.

I can see him getting a $50K bump this year.

jackflash

I think Barry needs a raise does a great job finding and recruiting Arkansas kids. I would expand his recruiting area

HogNDas

Awesome "in-state" recruiting....but, realistically, that shows no recruiting ability.  EXPAND his territory...get him out of state so we can really see his ability, which I believe to be AWESOME!....AND, give him a raise...I don't see him ever leaving AR, but we sure have had a lot of defections and I don't want them to be because of $$ (not sure they are, but that is the speculation).....

lefty08

We flip out when an in state kid leaves the state and yet say that who is recruiting them doesn't matter.  Interesting
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Mike_e

Quote from: lefty08 on February 22, 2016, 10:41:55 am
We flip out when an in state kid leaves the state and yet say that who is recruiting them doesn't matter.  Interesting

Must be 'all in the wrist'.  ;)
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

PonderinHog

AugustaHog

Quote from: HogNDas on February 22, 2016, 09:20:17 am
Awesome "in-state" recruiting....but, realistically, that shows no recruiting ability.  EXPAND his territory...get him out of state so we can really see his ability, which I believe to be AWESOME!....AND, give him a raise...I don't see him ever leaving AR, but we sure have had a lot of defections and I don't want them to be because of $$ (not sure they are, but that is the speculation).....
I do agree that we shouldn't overreact and call him a stud recruiter because he reels in most or all of the 4* kids in the state.  He is at a decided advantage because kids like Capps and Hammonds who are die-hard Hog fans are going to Fayetteville regardless of the recruiter.  We had multiple kids in this past class Agim, Hammonds, Capps, Jones, etc. that had big-time offers to play elsewhere and he locked them up.  This is something we were failing to do at the end of the CBP era and beginning of CBB's tenure.  His awesome relationship with HS coaches can't be undersold.  I think we have a good one in BLJ and hope he stays for a long time.  I suspect that we are good unless he wants to climb the coaching ladder and those opportunities aren't available in Fayetteville.

go hogues

He's a great coach and person. Hopefully he'll stay here a long time.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

HogNDas

Quote from: AugustaHog on February 22, 2016, 12:19:39 pm
I do agree that we shouldn't overreact and call him a stud recruiter because he reels in most or all of the 4* kids in the state.  He is at a decided advantage because kids like Capps and Hammonds who are die-hard Hog fans are going to Fayetteville regardless of the recruiter.  We had multiple kids in this past class Agim, Hammonds, Capps, Jones, etc. that had big-time offers to play elsewhere and he locked them up.  This is something we were failing to do at the end of the CBP era and beginning of CBB's tenure.  His awesome relationship with HS coaches can't be undersold.  I think we have a good one in BLJ and hope he stays for a long time.  I suspect that we are good unless he wants to climb the coaching ladder and those opportunities aren't available in Fayetteville.
The fact that CBL Jr's Dad is an AR High School coach is a HUGE plus, IMO...and yes, you are absolutely correct.  Even though we SHOULD get all in-state players, it is NOT a given and should not be assumed...way to go CBL!!!  (agree, let him recruit the hoop kids from Bentonville!!!  LOL)

PorkRinds

The connections the Lunney family have in this state's athletic and coaching circles cannot be over stated.   It was honestly one of the best hires CBB could have made.  I personally feel like upgrading Tim Horton to BLJ was be a move that no one will ever question at this point.  I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see BLJ move up the ladder coaching wise at Arkansas.  OC in a few years possibly?  He's a young guy with a TON of talent and a TON of connections.  Not sure we could ask for more in state recruiting wise. 

HogNDas

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 22, 2016, 07:05:39 pm
The connections the Lunney family have in this state's athletic and coaching circles cannot be over stated.   It was honestly one of the best hires CBB could have made.  I personally feel like upgrading Tim Horton to BLJ was be a move that no one will ever question at this point.  I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see BLJ move up the ladder coaching wise at Arkansas.  OC in a few years possibly?  He's a young guy with a TON of talent and a TON of connections.  Not sure we could ask for more in state recruiting wise.
Agree....frankly, I am surprised other schools, mid-major size, have not made a run at BLJ to be a HC...or an OC...

ricepig

Quote from: HogNDas on February 22, 2016, 06:41:46 pm
The fact that CBL Jr's Dad is an AR High School coach is a HUGE plus, IMO...and yes, you are absolutely correct.  Even though we SHOULD get all in-state players, it is NOT a given and should not be assumed...way to go CBL!!!  (agree, let him recruit the hoop kids from Bentonville!!!  LOL)

Was an Arkansas high school coach, but yep, Lunney Sr has a respect amongst Arkansas high school football coaches.

buldozer

I always thought Tim Horton and him were both under paid..... recruiting the home state should not be under rated or under appreciated!

redswarmrising

aren't Lunney Jr. and Smith the only 2 remaining assistants from Bielemas original staff?

ricepig

Quote from: redswarmrising on February 22, 2016, 09:37:41 pm
aren't Lunney Jr. and Smith the only 2 remaining assistants from Bielemas original staff?

Technically, Smith was a replacement for George MacDonald.

redswarmrising

Quote from: ricepig on February 22, 2016, 09:38:49 pm
Technically, Smith was a replacement for George MacDonald.

yeah i know but being McDonald didn't stay long enough to even begin practices,i don't consider him a member of the staff

SamBuckhart

Quote from: go hogues on February 22, 2016, 03:01:36 pm
He's a great coach and person. Hopefully he'll stay here a long time.
Yes. We certainly want him to. Wooo Pig!
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

lechon

Quote from: buldozer on February 22, 2016, 09:33:30 pm
I always thought Tim Horton and him were both under paid..... recruiting the home state should not be under rated or under appreciated!

Barry Lunney Jr. is doing a great job. Tim Horton was a lap dog whining and living off the family name.
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Sir Winston Churchill                                                                                  
There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true. -  Sir Winston Churchill

Hawgzinbowlz

It's all about Arkansas with Barry and he's doing good work. JL is a shrewd businessman and will likely pay what is reasonable/necessary to keep him. If another school makes a run at BLJ there may be a significant raise...otherwise his salary will likely see steady increases.
Keep him in his current territory and let him comb The State of Arkansas deeper and wider for our homegrown talent. Pulling in Razorback loving recruits, who are SEC level talent, is as good as it gets for the team.

" GO HOGS "

HogNDas

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on February 23, 2016, 06:32:17 am
It's all about Arkansas with Barry and he's doing good work. JL is a shrewd businessman and will likely pay what is reasonable/necessary to keep him. If another school makes a run at BLJ there may be a significant raise...otherwise his salary will likely see steady increases.
Keep him in his current territory and let him comb The State of Arkansas deeper and wider for our homegrown talent. Pulling in Razorback loving recruits, who are SEC level talent, is as good as it gets for the team.

" GO HOGS "
Good post....agree

Hoggish1

A great guy locking up state and nearby talent!  Lock him up and reward him, NOW!