Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dylan Soehner

Started by Dr. Starcs, February 13, 2016, 07:07:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Starcs

Anyone know why we didnt offer this kid?  Tight end, 6'7, 265. Right down the road.

Ended up signing with Iowa St.

Hoot72

Because he wanted to play tight end, not move inside to the line.

Dr. Starcs

I had heard that also. I think he could be a matchup nightmare at the tight end spot though too.

Thanks for the feedback.

I've also heard he does not have the greatest of motors so to speak.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on February 13, 2016, 07:37:22 am
I had heard that also. I think he could be a matchup nightmare at the tight end spot though too.

Thanks for the feedback.

I've also heard he does not have the greatest of motors so to speak.
Soooooooo you kinda knew why we didnt offer the kid? 

I wish he would have been willing to move or taken a walk-on spot.

Dr. Starcs

I had only heard rumors. Thought someone here might know something more concrete.

Why would a guy be a walk on if he could get a full ride d-1 at a power 5 school? 

jgphillips3

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on February 13, 2016, 11:16:49 am
I had only heard rumors. Thought someone here might know something more concrete.

Why would a guy be a walk on if he could get a full ride d-1 at a power 5 school? 

That's a love the helmet, self-sacrifice, play for a better program matrix. 

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Iowa St. has some top notch programs and the campus is actually surprisingly attractive. I would've not minded going to school there.  Except for the feets of snow each winter.   ;D

yraciv

If our coaches thought Soehner could have played TE for us he'd have got an offer.  He certainly camped with us, was in our backyard, and have heard about him for years.

Dr. Starcs

yraciv, what do you think held him back?

yraciv

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on February 13, 2016, 12:16:26 pm
yraciv, what do you think held him back?

The fact we've brought in a ton of big time TE recruits in the last 2 years, they liked Gunter more, and we're only losing Henry. We've got TE depth.  Not sure if there is any truth to the fact we wanted to move him to OL, but he is built and runs more like an OL in my opinion, so that would make sense to me.

Oklahawg

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/109770/coach-confidential-favorite-big-12-recruits

QuoteIowa State TE Dylan Soehner: "A legitimate 6-foot-7, 277 pounds and athletic enough to remain at tight end. I cannot believe Arkansas didn't recruit him."
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

HogNDas

maybe since we have Sprinkle, Gragg & O'Grady, we weren't recruiting TE....

Dr. Starcs

Not sure that matters. We have a plethora of qb's as well and signed another this year.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Hogville's resident uniform designer.

onebadrubi

No inside info here but a 6'7" 265 frame coming out of high school work out and training programs is begging for 20-30
Pounds after a redshirt season. If I had to guess I bet he has problems keeping a good tight end weight and speed.  If he's got the feet to play TE he could be a good OT after some grooming, maybe.

Oklahawg

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on February 13, 2016, 10:00:56 pm
Well that was a cheery thing to read. Lots of names on there many of us thought would/should be Razorbacks.

That was the other thing - way too many "almost" names on that list. Tells me we were chasing the right kids, though.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Birminghog

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on February 13, 2016, 11:22:37 am
Iowa St. has some top notch programs and the campus is actually surprisingly attractive. I would've not minded going to school there.  Except for the feets of snow each winter.   ;D

Except for the feets of snow each winter.

That's 'nuff

BPsTheMan

our tight ends are great athletes

we don't just toss schollies around willy nilly

HankHog

I watched him play many times during his high school career. Great size but slow in speed and slow of foot. Sometimes his work ethic and desire would disappear during a game and then reappear at times. He could have dominated games with blocking and catching but he just never did that. Proud that he is getting a chance to play but he would not have made it here with the talent we have in place.

idochog

We can't offer every hometown kid.
I love Jesus!

Ray Piggers

As A Prairie Grove alum, I would have loved to see Dylan suit up for the Hogs. Wish him nothing but the best!

I'm basically Darkwing Duck

Oklahawg

Quote from: redeye on February 14, 2016, 07:42:56 pm
Is Kyle Mayberry related to Lee?  He looks like he could be.

There is some connection. Nephew?

FANONTHEHILL

Good player, just doesn't fit what we ask a TE to do.  He would need to move inside here.  Wants to be a TE.  Best of luck to him.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

redeye

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 14, 2016, 08:59:09 pm
There is some connection. Nephew?

If he's a good kid like Lee was, then I wish we'd offered him.

Hoot72

Let me say this about Soehner, I don't know that he has the speed to play tight end in the SEC (and the speed is different for an SEC tight end), but he has the best hands that I have seen in a while.  He had to be a nightmare for a high school 4A defensive coordinator, because you had to account for him on every play.  Prairie Grove had a pretty good running back, quarterback, and 2 receivers -- but they were better, because 1 (or 2) men had to be aware of Soehner on every play.

jseinfeld50

yraciv

Quote from: jseinfeld50 on February 15, 2016, 09:05:11 am
He appears to be Lee's nephew (Lee has only daughters).

http://www.newson6.com/story/30284377/booker-t-football-players-hope-to-live-up-to-legendary-last-names

Well those are some enlightening comments by the nephew. ""He could have chosen a better high school, Booker T. Washington, and he could have chosen a better college, Kansas University. And he could have chosen a better NBA team, come on, Milwaukee Bucks," he said.

scruf

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Soehner's not SEC championship level at TE, but he could end up in the NFL.  Uh, what? The opinions on this dude are pretty extreme.

I personally found him to be a bit slow, he's not dominant in basketball either as you'd expect a D-1 athlete to be in the 4A-1 conference.

This is a case where we need to use the lottery scholarship in the same way that LSU uses their TOPS scholarships in recruiting in-state athletes.

Soehner would have been a project, he'll likely get moved to OL. The kid doesn't understand that. Bielema's walk-on program took a hit missing out on this kid. Iowa St. and Big 12 fan boys will crow that they stole one from an SEC program's backyard. The training at Iowa St. probably isn't near the same level as it is at Arkansas and the discipline in the program won't be as strict either.

Not sure I would have turned down a full ride in a P5 conference either. I'm rooting for the guy.

Biggus Piggus

Blows to not get a good player who's in our backyard. How that process happened needs to be deconstructed.
[CENSORED]!

Paul

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 15, 2016, 04:36:09 pm
Blows to not get a good player who's in our backyard. How that process happened needs to be deconstructed.
Obviously the staff thought better of offering him as a TE.  I trust their judgement.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Paul on February 15, 2016, 04:40:44 pm
  Obviously the staff thought better of offering him as a TE.  I trust their judgement.

Could have caused problems with their previous commitment.
[CENSORED]!

ricepig

Quote from: Paul on February 15, 2016, 04:40:44 pm

We're fretting over losing a player to Iowa St, this isn't basketball......

hogman78

Quote from: ricepig on February 15, 2016, 04:47:35 pm

We're fretting over losing a player to Iowa St, this isn't basketball......

No, but it is Hogville. Gotta fret over something. I know the kid, but no I don't care to share any insight.

ricepig

Quote from: hogman78 on February 15, 2016, 04:51:59 pm
No, but it is Hogville. Gotta fret over something. I know the kid, but no I don't care to share any insight.

Well........that's no attitude to take.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 15, 2016, 04:36:09 pm

Good is subjective. Maybe he is a good TE. But we have great TEs. He would have likely had an offer if he realized he wasn't going to be a TE. But rather than lie to him and move him later they didn't offer. Pretty easy to deconstruct.

Paul

wholehog92

I've watched the kid play TE.  The kids that aren't playing TE for the hogs simply outclass him as athletes.  He would have made a very good tackle, but that wasn't in the cards for the Hogs.  It's not a knock on the kid or our coaches.  I would not have been excited about him as a TE recruit.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

hogman78

Quote from: ricepig on February 15, 2016, 04:57:46 pm
Well........that's no attitude to take.

After watching the dummies beat up on anyone bringing anything to the board I think it's the only attitude to take.

HogNDas

How does Soehner compare to Grayson Gunter?  :razorback:

redswarmrising

no offense to Dylan but when i watched a 150 lb CB from Berryville decleat Soehner,eh i'd pass on him too

buldozer

They have a really good class of TEs on campus right now so he would have to be  really good when he hit the ground with the group we have or it would be quickly apparent he did not stack up....... no need recruiting a kid to a position he can't play for us. That just ends in grief and frustration all around

hogman78

Or he really wanted to play TE and ISU offered him that opportunity while others wouldn't. Or maybe he really enjoyed his visit and felt at home at ISU where he will be able to play TE. Or maybe the kid has done an outstanding job with his academics, but wants to be recognized for his football skills with academics as a fall back. Or maybe ISU offered an athletic scholarship while most other schools wanted him to go the academic route. Not sure, just throwing crap at the wall to see if it sticks.

Acer4

Too slow for TE in the SEC

redleg

His foot speed (lateral movement and straight ahead) was too slow to play TE in the SEC. If he is already 6'7" 265 lbs, then he is going to continue to develop and will probably outgrow the TE position by the time he is a redshirt sophomore / true junior. His foot speed would have been great at offensive tackle, and he could have easily put on muscle to get up to 300 lbs.+.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

razorback44

"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

Hogberry Snortcake

HogNDas

Quote from: Hogberry Snortcake on February 28, 2016, 11:28:37 am
If only taking one, we chose wisely.
Agree, the MS schools seem to have more sophisticated offenses than AR....I think Gunter will be a stud, but do wonder why OM didn't offer....his parents are OM grads.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

The differences in the videos is all anyone needs to see.

The Arkansas signee has speed and quickness with a willingness to block to go with solid hands catching the ball away from his body.

The Iowa St. signee is slow with his get off, runs suspect routes and catches with his body and only outmuscles smaller defenders he really doesn't outrun anyone.

I will say that Mississippi HS football looks to have some dumbish defensive players. Many of the routes on Gunter's tape looked wide open before the snap and LB'rs didn't cover well at all.

I think we can definitively say that Soehner doesn't fit the profile of an SEC caliber athlete, and even if he does move to OL he'd have problems against SEC pass rushers with his slow release out of the blocks and weak handfighting and body balance. Explosiveness and quickness is what separates the SEC's players and most other conferences.

Wish Soehner well, it's always good to see kids from the small towns in NWA get chances at D1 ball.