Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question About Multi-Sport Recruits

Started by rustr, February 05, 2016, 11:01:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rustr

I was looking through a list of top prospects that still haven't signed an NLI yet, and I came across this dude:

Grant Holloway (high *** WR)
http://247sports.com/Player/Grant-Holloway-51684

And I noticed he runs a 4.26 40.

I did a little research to see why he hasn't signed an NLI. What I found is that he is also a Track beast and is going to Florida on a Track & Field scholarship and has chosen to take a preferred walk-on spot on the football team. Talk about a bonus.

That got me wondering; why don't we try to do this more? We are a T&F blue blood. I understand that kind of speed doesn't grow on trees and just because someone is fast, it doesn't mean they can play football. But this guy is rated as a high 3 star WR and I couldn't find anyware that we evaluated him (granted I don't follow track really). Even though these type athletes don't come around all the time, it seems like we would use our T&F prowess to jump on them when they do (I know we've had two sport athletes in the past). I would use every edge I can get. Am I missing something or does anyone have any insight?

cc

we've had guys that came to play football that ran track but not sure of other way around like you mention. 

PorkRinds

I think Hawkins was a track athlete who played football.  He didn't work out all that well.

cc

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 05, 2016, 11:09:30 am
I think Hawkins was a track athlete who played football.  He didn't work out all that well.

He was signed to a football scholarship though not track?  Good example

woodrow hog call

I think he can only be on the T&F scholly, until he actually plays in a game for the football team.
May be wrong, but it seems to me that once a player gets on the field he can't be on any other athletic scholarship, or that is what I had heard at one time. Unless I have it wrong.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

PorkRinds

Quote from: cc on February 05, 2016, 11:17:24 am
He was signed to a football scholarship though not track?  Good example

Honestly I'm not sure.  I just remember being excited because he was so darn fast.  It didn't translate well.

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

woodrow hog call

This is the part I was getting at, didn't say it exactly right.

Football is a unique and popular sport; therefore, the Association recognized that it had to
balance the need to prevent members from circumventing financial aid rules with the
high demand for participation in the sport. Several years ago, the members of the NCAA
adopted the ability for athletes in one sport who were not recruited or offered financial
aid by football to actually participate in practice sessions without having to count against
football's limit of 85 counters. However, if the walk-on proves to be a quality football
player and earns the privilege of playing in an actual contest, he or she would then
become a counter against the football limits.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

hawgfan4life

If he plays football, he will count against the football scholarship limit.  An athlete cannot be an athlete from any other sport playing football on a scholarship for that other sport.  Obviously, AL would have no telling how many football players on scholarship for golf, track, baseball, basketball, and whatever other extracurricular scholarships they offer to men.

rustr

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 05, 2016, 11:30:36 am
Honestly I'm not sure.  I just remember being excited because he was so darn fast.  It didn't translate well.

I had forgotten about Eric. Doesn't he have two years of eligibility left? I was excited about his speed too; I'm still hoping he'll shine. He didn't look bad in punt return before he got hurt.

It just seems like anytime there's someone out there in a recruiting cycle that loves both sports, we'd try to sell them on the quality of the football program as well as the track prowess. And if possible sign one on a Track scholarship and give them preferred walk-on if they are willing or if it's someone a little more raw in football.

scruf

Quote from: hawgfan4life on February 05, 2016, 11:41:22 am
If he plays football, he will count against the football scholarship limit.  An athlete cannot be an athlete from any other sport playing football on a scholarship for that other sport.  Obviously, AL would have no telling how many football players on scholarship for golf, track, baseball, basketball, and whatever other extracurricular scholarships they offer to men.

Exactly. You can't go to Florida on a track scholarship and play football.

rustr

Quote from: hawgfan4life on February 05, 2016, 11:41:22 am

Quote from: woodrow hog call on February 05, 2016, 11:37:19 am

Football is a unique and popular sport; therefore, the Association recognized that it had to
balance the need to prevent members from circumventing financial aid rules with the
high demand for participation in the sport. Several years ago, the members of the NCAA
adopted the ability for athletes in one sport who were not recruited or offered financial
aid by football to actually participate in practice sessions without having to count against
football's limit of 85 counters. However, if the walk-on proves to be a quality football
player and earns the privilege of playing in an actual contest, he or she would then

Thanks for the replies. That makes sense and answers part of my question (I suspected as much).

The other part is, some of those guys absolutely love both sports. It seems logical that we would have somewhat of an advantage with them in recruiting (regardless of how the scholarship is handled). We have both a quality football program in the best football conference and we are a top tier track program as well. It just seems like if there is an athlete out there that is really good and cares about both (even if it's just one a year or every other year or whatever) that we would jump on them, since we can offer more than a lot of other schools in that aspect. I know I'm not talking about a ton of athletes here, but anything for an edge.

nationwish

The one area I could see a team hoping to get around would be the 25 signee limit. Let's say a team signs 25 players for that class without the need to count back. If they also brought on a walk-on with a scholarship in another sport, and that athlete doesn't get on the field the first two years, it seems like that wouldn't be a problem. But if they did get on the field those first two years, wouldn't they have to count back against their signing class?

Vantage 8 dude

I believe the "double dipping" idea of a kid who runs track not being able to retain that scholarship if he plays football is fairly easy to understand. Due to the strict 85 person scholarship limitation placed on football programs allowing a kid to play football but still receive a financial assistance through track and field would really work to circumvent the limitation. Otherwise you could have programs that have both strong track programs and football teams getting an unintended advantage over football programs who don't necessarily have that luxury. It's my understanding, however, that a student who plays football but wants to participate in track isn't barred from doing so. Similar to kids who also want to play baseball.

SkeeterHawg

He can be on a track scholly until the day he steps on the field during a game?  Then he will count toward the 85 football limit from that point on.

oldfart

getting to be more difficult to excell in two major sports. was once quite common. broyles was all-sec in football basketball and bAseball

southarkhog06

Quote from: woodrow hog call on February 05, 2016, 11:37:19 am

Yes, more commonly known as the Bear Bryant Alabama heaviest swim team in the country rule.

oldfart

nebraska did a lot of that. got a lot of cornfed boys on ag scholarships for a couple of years to bulk up

oldfart

we had a basketball player a few years ago ( mokubu ?) who wanted to play football but was not able to because of this rule

jseinfeld50

Quote from: oldfart on February 13, 2016, 12:49:02 pm
we had a basketball player a few years ago ( mokubu ?) who wanted to play football but was not able to because of this rule

Wen Mukubu ... 6'5" leaper Miami who transferred to UAB

tophawg19

one problem with tracks is they aren't available for spring practice . i think this has set Hawkins back in his career here
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

lilRockNDubb

Lawrence Richardson and Batman Carroll are 2 names that come to mind

bulldog04

Quote from: lilRockNDubb on February 14, 2016, 03:16:51 am
Lawrence Richardson and Batman Carroll are 2 names that come to mind
Michael Grant

oldfart

with more and more emphasis being placed on spring practice and off-season workouts you will see this happening less and less int the future