Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

To offer or not to offer

Started by The Recruiting Guy, January 14, 2016, 05:36:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Recruiting Guy

I know many wonder why Arkansas doesn't offer certain kids.

The obvious is they don't see the kid being worthy of an offer or possible character problems or various other possible reasons. 

There's two kids that 99.9% would say they're no-brainers to get offers.  Arkansas isn't offering one because a combo off-the-field issues and not having a good season on the field. Another is because of character.

Just wanted to pass that along. FWIW, I don't believe either kid has been mentioned here or anywhere else.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Richard Davenport on January 14, 2016, 05:36:06 pm

The obvious is they don't see the kid being worthy of an offer or possible character problems or various other possible reasons. 

There's two kids that 99.9% would say they're no-brainers to get offers.  Arkansas isn't offering one because a combo off-the-field issues and not having a good season on the field. Another is because of character.

Just wanted to pass that along. FWIW, I don't believe either kid has been mentioned here or anywhere else.

Excellent points, RD.

Scholarships are valuable, schools can't afford to take too many risks and especially if the player doesn't fit within the profile of the player that they generally want. One wrong player that doesn't fit the team chemistry can have a very real negative effect on parts of, if not the entire team. It's not worth the risk.
Go Hogs Go!

ricepig

I figured we had named every high school SR football player, lol.

Country Stylz

I say give Cecil Langston a redshirt year on those weights and you'll have an Eric Bienemy on your hands. But that's none of my business.

ricepig

Quote from: Country Stylz on January 14, 2016, 06:04:22 pm
I say give Cecil Langston a redshirt year on those weights and you'll have an Eric Bienemy on your hands. But that's none of my business.

He isn't qualified for D-I, is my understanding.

Country Stylz

Was not aware Langston had grade issues. My fault.

ricepig

Quote from: Country Stylz on January 14, 2016, 06:28:05 pm

I don't think it's grades, although I guess it does come into play on the sliding scale.

redeye

January 15, 2016, 02:36:30 am #7 Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 12:40:26 pm by redeye
Quote from: ricepig on January 14, 2016, 06:32:40 pm
I don't think it's grades, although I guess it does come into play on the sliding scale.

nm

whosiskid

I would like to see Langton at Arkansas, and he doesn't have grade issues if his Hudl videos are to be believed. I also would like to see Carlos Blackman get a shot. I like him a lot more than Damarea Crockett and he definitely has the grades. His only significant offers have been the military academies. I could easily imagine him being a 1,300 yard rusher at Army in two year's time. We might get Langton with a preferred walk on offer, but Blackman would need a scholarship offer, so I'm guessing he is out of the question.

These questions could really come up in 2017. We have a really weak group of instate players. I could see us offering only a couple of instate kids.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

ricepig

Quote from: whosiskid on January 16, 2016, 12:36:20 am
I would like to see Langton at Arkansas, and he doesn't have grade issues if his Hudl videos are to be believed. I also would like to see Carlos Blackman get a shot. I like him a lot more than Damarea Crockett and he definitely has the grades. His only significant offers have been the military academies. I could easily imagine him being a 1,300 yard rusher at Army in two year's time. We might get Langton with a preferred walk on offer, but Blackman would need a scholarship offer, so I'm guessing he is out of the question.

These questions could really come up in 2017. We have a really weak group of instate players. I could see us offering only a couple of instate kids.

Langston is not D-I eligible, currently.

ARtillahog

Quote from: ricepig on January 16, 2016, 07:32:57 am
Langston is not D-I eligible, currently.

Which would lead me to believe it is ACT score.

scruf

This thread definitely isn't about Damarea Crockett. He has offers from Vandy, Yale, Navy, and Army. They only recruit high-character kids.

dandd TD

Only a couple offered next year? What makes you think this? We are looking at a good number of instate for next year. I'm sure not half will be offered, but still will be four or five, maybe a few more.

JusJim

I wonder if RD is talking about a couple of Seniors that have been mentioned a few times over the past week or so on Drivetime Sports.  I honestly don't remember their names, and don't want to pinpoint the area, but they're both from the area south of Little Rock. 

More than one caller has called in questioning why Arkansas wouldn't be offering 2 Arkansas players who were wanting to play for Arkansas.

Best I can remember....at least once Trey Biddy commented that as far as he knew there were no other D-1 Schools who were recruiting the players either.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Country Stylz on January 14, 2016, 06:28:05 pm

I think the point of the OP was there are a LOT of issues we fans are not aware of that have resulted in P5 type athletes in state not getting UA offers.

Thanks RD for sharing that little bit of insight with us.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

ChicoHog

Maybe the DL from Pine Bluff?  Can't think of his name right now. 

greenie

Quote from: ChicoHog on January 16, 2016, 01:10:47 pm
Maybe the DL from Pine Bluff?  Can't think of his name right now.

Tate?

don't think that will happen.

The Recruiting Guy

Quote from: JusJim on January 16, 2016, 10:18:19 am
I wonder if RD is talking about a couple of Seniors that have been mentioned a few times over the past week or so on Drivetime Sports.  I honestly don't remember their names, and don't want to pinpoint the area, but they're both from the area south of Little Rock. 

More than one caller has called in questioning why Arkansas wouldn't be offering 2 Arkansas players who were wanting to play for Arkansas.

Best I can remember....at least once Trey Biddy commented that as far as he knew there were no other D-1 Schools who were recruiting the players either.

Guys it's not any kids in Arkansas. Again, I'm pretty sure the two names haven't been mentioned here. For the star guys, one is a five star and one was a four star in high school.

Music City Hog

Quote from: Richard Davenport on January 16, 2016, 01:43:16 pm
Guys it's not any kids in Arkansas. Again, I'm pretty sure the two names haven't been mentioned here. For the star guys, one is a five star and one was a four star in high school.

Oh, so it's nobody we would have gotten anyway?

I kid, I kid.

The Recruiting Guy

Quote from: Music City Hog on January 16, 2016, 01:51:57 pm
Oh, so it's nobody we would have gotten anyway?

I kid, I kid.

Both were interested. Both had someone reach out to Arkansas.

redeye

January 16, 2016, 02:04:16 pm #21 Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 02:14:23 pm by redeye
Quote from: Richard Davenport on January 16, 2016, 01:43:16 pm

That can't be right, because Hogville told me there was no way we'd ever pass on a 4 or 5 star guy.

Our coaches must not have realized how high he was rated.

P.S. Richard, you know you can safely PM me the names, right?   ;)

P.S.S.  I should have ended that with a smile, because it was a joke.  Richard didn't send me anything and he shouldn't have.

ImHogginIt

http://247sports.com/Player/Akial-Byers-60955

He has a long ways to go in the classroom

Vantage 8 dude

Richard, thanks so much for sharing that insight. While I realize we very well may never know the particular kids to whom you're referring, and perhaps shouldn't to begin with, I'm constantly amazed at how hostile and belligerent some posters seem to get when it comes to certain kids not being offered or offered later in the process.

While I realize that our staff is certainly not infallible, I also have enough sense to know that neither are any other staff, and yes, that includes even 'Bama, LSU, etc. However, when it comes right down to it I also believe that these coaches also have a very keen insight into the real story with these recruits.They better because with the limit of 25 signees per year no school can afford too many misses when it comes to "washouts" for whatever reasons.

Unfortunately far too many of us fans THINK we know a kid just because we may have seen him play, clips of his highlights, or heard about him through various channels. In turn this leads us to believe that WE'RE the ones who really are the experts on who should and shouldn't be offered for whatever reason(s). Too bad......

WooPig90

Quote from: Richard Davenport on January 16, 2016, 02:02:44 pm
Both were interested. Both had someone reach out to Arkansas.

Can we get the names on those kids?  ;D

Richard Davenport

Quote from: WooPig90 on February 11, 2016, 10:33:20 am
Can we get the names on those kids?  ;D

The way people freak out about Byers they would do the same if I mentioned the names. Best left unsaid.