Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Open for Debate, Worst Loss in Program History?

Started by Jason Carroll, September 09, 2012, 07:25:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Carroll

In four years at Arkansas Bobby Petrino never lost a game they entered as the odds on favorite.
He also never lost a game in Little Rock, playing as a 30 point favorite Saturday night John L. Smith did both.

"It's no more devastating than any other loss," Smith told reporters after the game. "I mean they're all devastating."
"It's very disappointing we had downfalls in the game that lead to a loss," senior Tenarius Wright said. "We got two choices right now to either better ourselves and come together as a family or we can point the finger and look around."

For more on this story click on the link below:

http://nwahomepage.com/fulltextsports?nxd_id=363972

Hawgphish

beebefootballfan

I am going to classify it as the worst.  When we played the Citadel we were nowhere near the caliber of a top ten team. But then again we weren't last night either.
"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."- Alexis de Tocqueville

Ragnar Hogbrok

YOU DON'T LOSE TO A TEAM THE LIKES OF ULM.  Period.  Worst loss.  Worse than Citadel, because we weren't that good, then.  Top ten and lose to ULM.  Horse crap!!!
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

devildog72

Wo
Quote from: Hawgphish on September 09, 2012, 07:27:50 pm
2nd behind the Citadel.
Worse than the Citadel. We were unranked then and no one had any expectations.

OptimusHog

"It's no more devastating than any other loss," GTFO of our state.

razorbackcpa

By far the worst. After the offseason the players have suffered, this loss has to be devastating for them. To hear the team touted as a contender for the SEC West, national championship, and Heisman candidacy to being the laughing stock of the entire college football landscape is far worse than the loss to The Citadel.

WxHog

Worse than The Citadel. 

Yes, I know The Citadel was I-AA.  But there were no expectations in 1992.  That team was unranked coming off a subpar year with Jack Crowe.

New Pig In Town

Bebop

pfrg999

"It's no more devastating than any other loss," Smith told reporters after the game. "I mean they're all devastating."

WHAT???? He woke up millions poorer.. He woke up a .500 coach @ UA, and a loser to a Sun Belt School.. He woke up as the 2nd biggest drop in AP top 25 history (8th to GONE) He woke up loser to a school who has never been to a bowl game... and next week he has Alabama... Hope he is Investing his UA money better than he did before.. Pay the man his $800K and say bye bye!
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

Albert Einswine

Worse than the Citadel.  We lost to a team last night that may or may not be as good as the Gustaphasians in Jonesboro.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

hogcoots

Who cares which is the worst?  They both stunk.  It is like comparing two piles of  dog crap.  Just not worth the effort.

Hulk HOGan

Did that clown actually say that? Jesus.

Yes, it it the progam's worst loss.

hogman1974

Quote from: Jason Carroll on September 09, 2012, 07:25:14 pm
In four years at Arkansas Bobby Petrino never lost a game they entered as the odds on favorite.

Were we not favored vs. Kentucky the year DeAnthony Curtis fumbled the game away?

hogman1974

I was at the Citadel game my freshman year.  And honestly, I was annoyed by the loss, but we weren't very good.  Weren't expected to do anything.  This loss is worse in my mind because we were top ten, #1 Bama and Gameday coming next week.  This loss really hurts us so much more than the Citadel loss.  We were starting to be considered a power.  All of that is gone...

spiritof92

jgphillips3

In 1992, we were not great, but Citadel was FCS (1AA). Just like Michigan v. Appalachian State, it probably has to be the worst. However, 20 years later with a top 10 ranking, losing to ULM is pretty close to the bottom of the barrel. Given our National Championship contender status, this one may indeed be worse.

Oliver

spiritof92

I really feel the loss to Tennessee during Nutt's last season was one of the most embarrassing.  That was a televised game (I think regional) and the Vols scored 35 in the first quarter.  That game received quite a bit of buzz.

Then there's the 51-3 loss to Miami back when Hatfield was here. 

I truly feel that the 70-17 loss to USC was the most embarrassing of all, though.  Seemed like every time I turned on the television or radio there was a replay of Bush making the Hog's defense look silly and people mocking our D. 

Joe-T

Worst coached loss ever !!!!
Run the ball when u have a lead like that in the 4th Qt.    :puke:

spiritof92

Actually, a case could be made for last season's LSU game as well. 

BuschHawg

Pure and simple. JLS is an idiot of epic proportions. We can't run him away fast enough.

Hawgphish

I say it is second behind the Citadel but it is a very very bad loss.  We had so much to play for....I think there are fans that are more passionate about Razorback football than some of the players and the head coach. 

HF#1

Far worse than the Citadel.  It killed all of our momentum in every way.  When we lost to the Citadel all the momentum was on the basketball court.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

CharlotteHogFan

It will be more embarrassing when ASU beats them later this year. Has there ever been a season when ASU beat a team The Hogs lost to?

spiritof92

spiritof92

bigyellowdog

Last night was the worst loss in the almost 40 years of me folowing Hog football.  The Citadel, 17-70, Las Vegas Bowl, 2000Tenner were all embarassing,  however none of those Hogs teams had a top 10 ranking along with high expectations.   

All this and we still have Bama coming in on Saturday to look forward to.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: CharlotteHogFan on September 09, 2012, 07:53:16 pm
It will be more embarrassing when ASU beats them later this year. Has there ever been a season when ASU beat a team The Hogs lost to?

We both tied Mississippi State one year back in the '90s.

Back in the early '80s there was a season in which we squeaked one out against Tulsa early in the season and they drubbed them in Jonesboro in the last game of the season.  The way their fans made it out you'd have thought we lost ASU.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

BartIV

GlassofSwine

The citadel loss is infamous but right now I think this is worse. A 30 point favorite at home blowing a 21 point 3rd quarter lead. We let a far less talented team dominate us to the point that they went for it on 4th down 7 times and converted 6 of them. Crazy as it sounds our defense last night was so anemic that a Sunbelt team knew they could dominate us. To add insult the coaches seem to not comprehend how bad the loss was. Last night was the worst coaching job I have seen in 32 years of watching Arkansas play.

WxHog

]
Quote from: hogman1974 on September 09, 2012, 07:35:28 pm
Were we not favored vs. Kentucky the year DeAnthony Curtis fumbled the game away?

What I heard is we never lost a game as a 3 or more point favorite.  There were a couple of games where we were 1 or 2 point favorites and lost.  That Kentucky game and losing to Georgia in Fayetteville in 2009, when UGA hung 52 and Jerry Franklin was ejected.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: bigyellowdog on September 09, 2012, 07:57:06 pm
Last night was the worst loss in the almost 40 years of me folowing Hog football.  The Citadel, 17-70, Las Vegas Bowl, 2000Tenner were all embarassing,  however none of those Hogs teams had a top 10 ranking along with high expectations.   

All this and we still have Bama coming in on Saturday to look forward to.

If the play we saw last night continues to be the norm we'll lose to Rutgers after Bama.

Hogvillage Idiot

Quote from: hogcoots on September 09, 2012, 07:34:49 pm
Who cares which is the worst?  They both stunk.  It is like comparing two piles of  dog crap.  Just not worth the effort.
Excellent observation.
"Winning is like shaving - do it every day or you wind up looking like a bum."

Jack Kemp

Pecos Hog

Yes, far worse than the Citadel.    Worst loss in my lifetime - half a century.     

But, even if we had won this game, there probably would have been another one this season.    And we may have not seen the worst yet this season.   

If JLS doesn't understand that, then he never really had any clue about what it is to be a Razorback.    Sadly that's a thing of the past now.     We lost so much last night.   

ulmerj79

By far the worst...not even close. We had no expectations the year we played Citadel. This single game will have many negative side effects i'm afraid. JLS needs to do the right thing and leave his office key at the front desk.

Hawgphish

Quote from: ulmerj79 on September 09, 2012, 08:06:33 pm
By far the worst...not even close. We had no expectations the year we played Citadel. This single game will have many negative side effects i'm afraid. JLS needs to do the right thing and leave his office key at the front desk.
not gonna happen...JLS got bills to pay. 

BigDrDon

We'll beat Bama come Saturday. If not then we'll lose. It's elementary.
You gonna look me dead in the eye,hold a straight face ,and swear to me,that the forward pass is legal?

Albert Einswine

Quote from: WxHog on September 09, 2012, 08:01:06 pm

What I heard is we never lost a game as a 3 or more point favorite.  There were a couple of games where we were 1 or 2 point favorites and lost.  That Kentucky game and losing to Georgia in Fayetteville in 2009, when UGA hung 52 and Jerry Franklin was ejected.

I drove 630 miles on game day to be at the Georgia game.  I stayed til the final second ticked and then drove to Benton to crash for a few hours before driving back to Indiana.  That was a long day.

hogblade

I was at the USC/Arkansas game to witness that massacre. I watched the Citadel game from the grassy knoll. This is soo much worse!!!!! We had so many expectations and it is all gone.

Capitalist Pig

As far as I'm concerned, there is no debate. This was the most embarrassing, the worst loss ever. There is no comparison. Not even the Citadel game. JLS is a moronic freakin idiot. I wish he and JL would both GTFO of Arkansas.
seXual cHOGlate is my bitch.

mmks1

If you don't think this is the worst then you don't really get it.This is no doubt the worst in at least 50 yrs.

SA Hog Fan

I've let the emotion of the loss pass and objectively reflecting, it is absolutely the worst. I was actually laughing at the end of the game. Because it was so f***ing awful it was funny.

SuthrnFballer15

Few teams have taken such a steep poll nosedive during the course of a weekend. In 2007, No. 5 Michigan was bumped out of the poll after an opening weekend loss to Appalachian State..........they beat us as the worst ever. So I would say this loss has to rank up there as the worst loss in program history or at least be in the argument :razorback:.
"If you're attitude is 'I was good yesterday,' you can't do that at Arkansas. Whoever your opponent is, it's a big game. Everything is up for grabs." - Coach Pelphrey

"I'm not really good at being a shifty kind of guy who likes to make moves -- I like to be a straight-line guy and run over somebody if I can."
-Peyton Hillis

"Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog" - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

WorfHog

Far and away the worst.  Losing one of the best qb's in nation, getting beat by a Sun Belt team, and to top it off a goofball on the sidelines with is mouth agape. 

jfred59

Do any of you folks remember the 1966 Cotton Bowl to LSU and 1969 Big Shoot Out.  Both of those cost us National Championships so I think they  were more than this debacle

Robert Shields

Not all wins are the same and not all loses are the same.

The most embarrassing was the absolute beat down of the Hogs when the Trojans and company wore out Trigger the horse who had to skip making a lap after one score.

The most improbable was the Citadel.  The Citadel was a lower division team.  This Razorback team later without a head coach upsets Tennessee on the road.  The talent level between the Citadel and Arkansas was massive.  It did not matter and its the reason Broyles fired Crowe after the game.

The ULM loss is at the top of one of the most shocking along with Tulsa in 1971.  The Hogs had beaten California that year and were ranked number 7 and had Joe Ferguson.  The fact ESPN College GameDay was on the way shows how surprising it was.